There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Size comparisons

Italy AndresVida Offline
Animal Enthusiast

Kodiak bear and human. My favorite bear species

*This image is copyright of its original author

Leopards and Jaguars are among the most extraordinary predators.
One can weigh up to 90–95 kgs possibly a little more whereas the other can touch 150 kgs.

Imagine an hybrid between these beasts.
A 400 pound Lepjag!

@Balam  can this hybrid give us the idea of the size of Panthera Onca Augusta or Panthera Onca Mesembrina? It's nice to speculate

India Hello Offline
( This post was last modified: 06-11-2021, 05:33 PM by Hello )

(06-11-2021, 04:50 PM)LoveAnimals Wrote: Kodiak bear and human. My favorite bear species

One can weigh up to 90–95 kgs possibly a little more whereas the other can touch 150 kgs.

A 400 pound Lepjag!

@Balam  can this hybrid give us the idea of the size of Panthera Onca Augusta or Panthera Onca Mesembrina? It's nice to speculate
No offense,He doesn't look 400 lbs,not even 300 .Trainers usually overestimate weights.
1 user Likes Hello's post

Italy AndresVida Offline
Animal Enthusiast

(06-11-2021, 05:31 PM)Hello Wrote: offense,He doesn't look 400 lbs,not even 300 .Trainers usually overestimate weights.
I thought the same.
There's no offense don't worry
1 user Likes AndresVida's post

Italy AndresVida Offline
Animal Enthusiast

This big boi would be more terrifying than most Hollywood monsters.
The Titanoboa

2 users Like AndresVida's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(06-10-2021, 11:21 PM)LoveAnimals Wrote:
(06-10-2021, 09:17 PM)Pckts Wrote: You’re comparing two different positions not to mention one had humans behind it to embellish the size.

Yes the people in the jaguar photo I posted are farer than the camera but if you virtually put them to the same level the size difference will be basically the same to the one of the leopard i posted.
This is another pic of the jaguar with a person next to it.

Imagine if the person stood up, the difference wouldn't be much if not non existent compared to this.

Being more robust doesn't **always** mean being more heavy to be honest, I am a gym guy since 2 years and despite this I am more muscular than my class mate but just weigh as much as him, about 80 kgs, and he doesn't even do workout nor he is fat.
He is 1.83 I am 1.81 so not even much height difference
Ok silly comparison, just wanted to say that as you already know Jaguars even on same size are more robust than leopards and its not depend from individual to individual , it's how the two species are naturally built.
As example, I compared these two anatomy models and scaled both on same size and despite this, the jaguar is still more builky and robust than the leopard.

That's because of their evolution, leopards adapted more gracile bodies to be the top climbers of the Panthera family and evolved as secondary predators, whereas Jaguars, as they are no near leopards in terms of climbing (which might be the reason why Jaguars have proportionally shorter legs to their body dimensions, also because long legs in rainforest wouldn't help much) and are apex predators evolved in a totally different environment, evolved a stockier and builker body.
Even the Mexican Jaguar or the smallest jaguar population, who overlaps even the largest leopards populations in terms of size, looks builker than most average leopards (but if we take note of 80–92+kg leopards I'd say they are the same).
The leopard needs a bigger size to look more builky.
Some leopards (mostly from Iran, Aberdares, Kenya and Kwa Zulu Natal) grow huge and muscular enough to match these jaguars, not the Panthanal, Llanos and Venezuelian ones of course they would get dwarfed by them.
It is the same with leopards compared to cougars, on same size leopards are more robustly built than cougars, who nedd to be bigger to seem much more robust.
Switch cougar with Jaguar and it's the Jaguar who is more robust, even at same size (same size = same weight).
That's how they are built. 

Still, they really seem to be of the same size.

Quote:Being more robust doesn't **always** mean being more heavy to be honest, I am a gym guy since 2 years and despite this I am more muscular than my class mate but just weigh as much as him, about 80 kgs, and he doesn't even do workout nor he is fat.
He is 1.83 I am 1.81 so not even much height difference
Ok silly comparison, just wanted to say that as you already know Jaguars even on same size are more robust than leopards and its not depend from individual to individual , it's how the two species are naturally built.
As example, I compared these two anatomy models and scaled both on same size and despite this, the jaguar is still more builky and robust than the leopard.
Using that example you must understand body type differences ( ectomorph, endomorph and mesomorph) and how a specific body type distributes weight. Even though you may be similar height, your "class mate" may carry his weight differently. Not to make it weird but if you were to stand side by side without clothes on, you'd be able to notice the weight distribution differences. Not to mention if you're in shape and weigh the same as him with him being out of shape, you would generally have a smaller waste, broader shoulders and more defined limbs while he would probably have a flabby stomach and carry more weight in his midsection. 

But like you said, we're talking about two cats that are very similar in dimensions but one *the jaguar* will have a larger chest and midsection with bigger limb girth and thus it's going to be the more robust cat. You can also tell that from when they lay flat, the Jaguar is bulkier, it's body sits higher off the ground while the Leopard sinks closer to the ground, it just doesn't have the same lb for lb muscle distribution that the Jaguar does.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(06-11-2021, 04:50 PM)LoveAnimals Wrote: Kodiak bear and human. My favorite bear species

A 400 pound Lepjag!

We've gone over this guy a few times and I checked their cats, my opinion is that this is just a standard Jaguar. And certainly not 400lbs

Italy AndresVida Offline
Animal Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-12-2021, 12:43 AM by AndresVida )

(06-11-2021, 10:39 PM)Pckts Wrote: Using that example you must understand body type differences ( ectomorph, endomorph and mesomorph) and how a specific body type distributes weight. Even though you may be similar height, your "class mate" may carry his weight differently. Not to make it weird but if you were to stand side by side without clothes on, you'd be able to notice the weight distribution differences. Not to mention if you're in shape and weigh the same as him with him being out of shape, you would generally have a smaller waste, broader shoulders and more defined limbs while he would probably have a flabby stomach and carry more weight in his midsection. 

Yes when we actually do sport at scholl and we have to change dresses we like compare to eatch other and his waists are much wider than mines, whereas i am bulk (I'll never cut I prefer bulk). So you're right on that we carry body mass in a different way.

(06-11-2021, 10:39 PM)Pckts Wrote: But like you said, we're talking about two cats that are very similar in dimensions but one *the jaguar* will have a larger chest and midsection with bigger limb girth and thus it's going to be the more robust cat. You can also tell that from when they lay flat, the Jaguar is bulkier, it's body sits higher off the ground while the Leopard sinks closer to the ground, it just doesn't have the same lb for lb muscle distribution that the Jaguar does.

Exactly, even though the two cats are about the same weight with one simple kg in favour of the leopard, the jaguar is still the builker one because its mass is accumulated in muscles, whereas the Persian leopard, living in a colder environment, might be that heavy also thanks to a little of fat accumulation just like North Emisphere cougars but that's only my opinion.
If you want another comparison, take example of Mawenzi, an 83 kg big male of Namibia. Look at its frame, an impressive male huh?

Well, now compare it to this 85 kg jaguaress posted on “Modern weight and measurements for wild Jaguars”. Maybe it was even posted by you

Even though the jaguaress is 2 kg heavier the difference in numbers is insignificant, the real difference is how the jaguaress is much more muscular.
About weight they are about equal but when you look at the jaguaress’ frame and biceps you see how she seems to outmuscle definitely Mawenzi even though she is JUST 2 kg heavier which is basically nothing.
If i didn't know her weight if you compared her to mawenzi i would have said she is 16 +kgs heavier just to show you the impression she gave to me.

So that's why I say that the 95 kg persian should be confirmed. After this comparison between Mawenzi and the 85 kg jaguaress you probably have no doubts that even if the jaguar will be definitely builker the leopard can still carry the same bodymass despite not being as much as muscular. 
I guess we can all agree now
1 user Likes AndresVida's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(06-12-2021, 12:37 AM)LoveAnimals Wrote:
(06-11-2021, 10:39 PM)Pckts Wrote: Using that example you must understand body type differences ( ectomorph, endomorph and mesomorph) and how a specific body type distributes weight. Even though you may be similar height, your "class mate" may carry his weight differently. Not to make it weird but if you were to stand side by side without clothes on, you'd be able to notice the weight distribution differences. Not to mention if you're in shape and weigh the same as him with him being out of shape, you would generally have a smaller waste, broader shoulders and more defined limbs while he would probably have a flabby stomach and carry more weight in his midsection. 

Yes when we actually do sport at scholl and we have to change dresses we like compare to eatch other and his waists are much wider than mines, whereas i am bulk (I'll never cut I prefer bulk). So you're right on that we carry body mass in a different way.

(06-11-2021, 10:39 PM)Pckts Wrote: But like you said, we're talking about two cats that are very similar in dimensions but one *the jaguar* will have a larger chest and midsection with bigger limb girth and thus it's going to be the more robust cat. You can also tell that from when they lay flat, the Jaguar is bulkier, it's body sits higher off the ground while the Leopard sinks closer to the ground, it just doesn't have the same lb for lb muscle distribution that the Jaguar does.

Exactly, even though the two cats are about the same weight with one simple kg in favour of the leopard, the jaguar is still the builker one because its mass is accumulated in muscles, whereas the Persian leopard, living in a colder environment, might be that heavy also thanks to a little of fat accumulation just like North Emisphere cougars but that's only my opinion.
If you want another comparison, take example of Mawenzi, an 83 kg big male of Namibia. Look at its frame, an impressive male huh?

Well, now compare it to this 85 kg jaguaress posted on “Modern weight and measurements for wild Jaguars”. Maybe it was even posted by you

Even though the jaguaress is 2 kg heavier the difference in numbers is insignificant, the real difference is how the jaguaress is much more muscular.
About weight they are about equal but when you look at the jaguaress’ frame and biceps you see how she seems to outmuscle definitely Mawenzi even though she is JUST 2 kg heavier which is basically nothing.
If i didn't know her weight if you compared her to mawenzi i would have said she is 16 +kgs heavier just to show you the impression she gave to me.

So that's why I say that the 95 kg persian should be confirmed. After this comparison between Mawenzi and the 85 kg jaguaress you probably have no doubts that even if the jaguar will be definitely builker the leopard can still carry the same bodymass despite not being as much as muscular. 
I guess we can all agree now
I absolutely agree, and the only reason I take issue with the Persian at all is because of the multiple weight discrepancies that have occurred  over the years.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Italy AndresVida Offline
Animal Enthusiast

(06-12-2021, 02:14 AM)Pckts Wrote: I absolutely agree, and the only reason I take issue with the Persian at all is because of the multiple weight discrepancies that have occurred  over the years.
I wonder whoever said the 115 kg mark which is highly unlikely. The leopard doesn't look to be a 110+ kg animal.
The 95 kg is more reliable because another paper mentioned the leopard to be around 100 kg and 95 is around 100 kg so maybe that article was confused by 95 and 115 kg so used the words "around 100 kg" because it was unsure about both.
Whatever. Idk if it will be ever confirmed I just hope so because it would be a new record since the largest confirmed Persian was about 91 kg

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

2 adult male jaguars from the Cerrado, Both weighing 104 kg.

credits: Nex No Extinction and IOP

Left: Xangô Cerrado male (104 kg)

Right: 151.633 Cerrado male (104 kg)

1 user Likes Dark Jaguar's post

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast

Bushpig, brown hyena and leopard:

">Wildlife Conservation Action
1 user Likes Luipaard's post

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast

Large male leopard and large civet:

Mdonya Old River Camp - Ruaha
3 users Like Luipaard's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

From last month's Onçafari's camera traps, Pança male showcasing what a healthy and prime Pantanal male jaguar looks like. These jaguars just keep getting bigger and bigger, to the delight of some and the dismay of others.

Buck marsh deer usually weigh in between 120/150 kg, Pança is not only close in shoulder height in comparison to the buck, but he is clearly packing much more body mass, regardless if he's somewhat gorged the muscle density across his body and thickness doesn't lie:

The cougar from this take is a very young adult male that weighed 51 kg, while Pança is not necessarily on the same trail as the young cougar, they are clearly at a similar distance to the camera and ground level as the camera traps are always positioned at the same height, so the comparison stands:

Pança is easily 3 to 3.5 times larger than this cougar, he is dwarfing this cougar in a similar fashion to how lions and tigers dwarf leopards. We're looking at likely another 140+ kg male. Crossing my fingers he will be captured on the next capturing campaign at Da Ilha Refuge.
3 users Like Balam's post

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast

"Size comparison between elephants and leopards. Both photograph were documented in camera trap and using the same trail at same night. An full grown Male leopard passing through a forest line after a huge tusker. The shoulder height of the male leopard was 28 inch. The tusker is around 10 ft 8 inch"

Avijan Saha Documentary Photography
2 users Like Luipaard's post

Austria Maritimus77 Offline

2 users Like Maritimus77's post