There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Size comparisons

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-20-2021, 07:18 PM by Balam )

(05-20-2021, 08:11 AM)tigerluver Wrote: @Balam, here are the ratios:

*This image is copyright of its original author

Using 128 cm hip height for the cow, the shoulder height of the jaguar would be 69 cm (239 px/128 px * 128 cm) and body length 141 cm (264 px/239 px * 128 cm). I feel this too small and maybe we're underestimating the cow.

Great job, tysm! You're correct that I was understating the hip height based on that study, this can be confirmed by the paper PUBERTAD EN NOVILLAS Y TOROS BRAHMAN, Mendoza et al. 1999, here's a chart concerning calves of less than 1.5 years and the hip height is actually more than what I had previously posted (altura a la grupa):

At a weight of 320 kg those calves are significantly below the weight range of adult cows of 500 to 700 kg. I did find some information from some ranchers stating the rump height in Brahman cows is 155 cm, but nothing from peer-reviewed papers so I didn't include it here although I see very little reasons to doubt that information.

I did find better data, from Comparison of body measurements of beef cows of different breeds, Nagy et al. 2007

This is perfect because the live weights gathered for the cattle all fall within the Brahman cow range so we can use total average rump height instead which is 138.3 or 146.6 for a slightly above average specimen: in that case the jaguar SH would be ~75 cm based on the overall average or 79 cm based on the slightly higher average for the Blonde d’Aquitaine breed which seems the most similar in size, those measurements make more sense. For the fun of it, if we were to use the maximum rump height from this study of 158 cm assuming the cow in the picture represents a very large individual and close to the alleged rump height stated by the ranches for Brahman cows, the SH for the jaguar would be 85 cm.
1 user Likes Balam's post

Italy AndresVida Offline
Animal Enthusiast

Liger vs Big Kodiak Bear
Height comparison

2 users Like AndresVida's post

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-02-2021, 03:24 PM by Luipaard )

Black jaguar and cougar which seems to be the same place:

Cougar and jaguar in Arizona, USA

2 users Like Luipaard's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-02-2021, 07:23 PM by Balam )

Jaguars from Arizona are some of the smallest in the world, their main prey are coatis and collared peccary who themselves live in scarce quantities across the desertic terrain. Much like leopards, cougars only overlap with the smallest jaguars to the extent that these jaguars have dwarfed in order to survive based on lesser food intake. When jaguars and cougars inhabit environments that are rich in prey jaguars are able to showcase their true size potential and completely dwarf any cougar or leopard in body mass and bulkiness. Caiman Ecological Refuge trail cam:

3 users Like Balam's post

Austria Maritimus77 Offline

I'll use this particular model as a female (like it is in real life) from now on; these two are scaled to maximum shoulder heights:

3 users Like Maritimus77's post

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast

Florida panther and labrador retriever:

carltonward
1 user Likes Luipaard's post

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

2 Adult Dark male Jags from the brazilian Caatinga and Cerrado biomes.

Top: 43 kg Caatinga male Jaguar (Lampião male)

Bottom: 117 kg Cerrado male Jaguar (Tiago male)

credits: Rafael Garay and Leandro Silveira

2 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Rafido Offline

A sloth bear and asiatic black bear size comparison would be good

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast

Leopard and dhole

Wildlife Camera Trapping

Italy AndresVida Offline
Animal Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-10-2021, 08:31 PM by AndresVida )

@Balam 
@Luipaard 
@Pckts 

I found this comparison effective, at least to me

Remember the 115 kg Persian Leopard that turned out to be a 95 kg male? 
Well there are some people doubting even about the 95 kg mark.

For comparison, this is a dead Jaguar (which was posted by Dark Jaguar on Moder Weight and Measurements for wild Jaguars) that was run over by a truck in Brazil if I remember correctly, it weighed 94 kg

You can look at the size of the jaguar compared to people and then compare it to the 95 kg leopard

To me, they seem pretty the same.
 I'd confirm that the leopard weighed 95 kg or 210 lbs, this would exceed the 91 kg record of the largest persian ever recorded and put the limit at 95 kg for Panthera Pardus Saxicolor. 

Still 1 kg smaller than the Namibian one tho but there's not too much difference
1 user Likes AndresVida's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(06-10-2021, 08:30 PM)LoveAnimals Wrote: @Balam 
@Luipaard 
@Pckts 

I found this comparison effective, at least to me

Remember the 115 kg Persian Leopard that turned out to be a 95 kg male? 
Well there are some people doubting even about the 95 kg mark.

For comparison, this is a dead Jaguar (which was posted by Dark Jaguar on Moder Weight and Measurements for wild Jaguars) that was run over by a truck in Brazil if I remember correctly, it weighed 94 kg

You can look at the size of the jaguar compared to people and then compare it to the 95 kg leopard

To me, they seem pretty the same.
 I'd confirm that the leopard weighed 95 kg or 210 lbs, this would exceed the 91 kg record of the largest persian ever recorded and put the limit at 95 kg for Panthera Pardus Saxicolor. 

Still 1 kg smaller than the Namibian one tho but there's not too much difference

You’re comparing two different positions not to mention one had humans behind it to embellish the size. But even so, the Persians body mass doesn’t look as robust as the Jaguar.
Here are some other shots of the same cat

1 user Likes Pckts's post

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-10-2021, 10:50 PM by Luipaard )

There are other photos that does indicate that it was a large leopard. I've discussed this with you before but I'll post them again for @"LoveAnimals" 

He had large paws:

A pretty large head:

Lying next to a woman:

I agree that some photos make him appear smaller than he really was but these photos clearly show a male leopard above average.
1 user Likes Luipaard's post

Italy AndresVida Offline
Animal Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-11-2021, 02:28 PM by AndresVida )

(06-10-2021, 08:47 PM)Pckts Wrote: You’re comparing two different positions not to mention one had humans behind it to embellish the size.

Yes the people in the jaguar photo I posted are farer than the camera but if you virtually put them to the same level the size difference will be basically the same to the one of the leopard i posted.
This is another pic of the jaguar with a person next to it.

Imagine if the person stood up, the difference wouldn't be much if not non existent compared to this.

Being more robust doesn't **always** mean being more heavy to be honest, I am a gym guy since 2 years and despite this I am more muscular than my class mate but just weigh as much as him, about 80 kgs, and he doesn't even do workout nor he is fat.
He is 1.83 I am 1.81 so not even much height difference
Ok silly comparison, just wanted to say that as you already know Jaguars even on same size are more robust than leopards and its not depend from individual to individual , it's how the two species are naturally built.
As example, I compared these two anatomy models and scaled both on same size and despite this, the jaguar is still more builky and robust than the leopard.

That's because of their evolution, leopards adapted more gracile bodies to be the top climbers of the Panthera family and evolved as secondary predators, whereas Jaguars, as they are no near leopards in terms of climbing (which might be the reason why Jaguars have proportionally shorter legs to their body dimensions, also because long legs in rainforest wouldn't help much) and are apex predators evolved in a totally different environment, evolved a stockier and builker body.
Even the Mexican Jaguar or the smallest jaguar population, who overlaps even the largest leopards populations in terms of size, looks builker than most average leopards (but if we take note of 80–92+kg leopards I'd say they are the same).
The leopard needs a bigger size to look more builky.
Some leopards (mostly from Iran, Aberdares, Kenya and Kwa Zulu Natal) grow huge and muscular enough to match these jaguars, not the Panthanal, Llanos and Venezuelian ones of course they would get dwarfed by them.
It is the same with leopards compared to cougars, on same size leopards are more robustly built than cougars, who nedd to be bigger to seem much more robust.
Switch cougar with Jaguar and it's the Jaguar who is more robust, even at same size (same size = same weight).
That's how they are built. 

Still, they really seem to be of the same size.
2 users Like AndresVida's post

Italy AndresVida Offline
Animal Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-10-2021, 11:47 PM by AndresVida )

(06-10-2021, 10:49 PM)Luipaard Wrote: He had large paws:
Just to compare, this is the paw of the Namibian leopard posted on http://AfricaHunting.com (http://AfricaHunting.com) which was weighed (not confirmed) to be about 108 kgs. 

Even if it is not reliable that it weights that much you all agree that it is a leopard way above average, and this is the comparison with the persian one. 

Namibian

Persian 

The size of the paw is pretty much the same, so.... 
That's why I say it is reliable the 95 kg mark.
1 user Likes AndresVida's post

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-11-2021, 11:34 AM by Luipaard )

Male lion, leopard, spotted hyena's and brown hyena at a waterhole in the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park

Source: Kgalagadi Leopard Project
3 users Like Luipaard's post