There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Siberian tigers & Amur leopards Photography tours! Come to discover wild Russia!

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators

(12-22-2018, 12:15 PM)Olga.bohai Wrote:
(12-21-2018, 12:03 PM)peter Wrote: Research says tigers hunt female brown bears with cubs more often than was assumed. You said that female brown bears, as a result, had left some districts. It's known that male tigers hunt bears in particular. When female brown bears leave a district, they have to find alternatives. Anything known on what male tigers hunt apart from bears? Or do they follow bears?

It's known that tigers, even those who often hunt adult female brown bears, do not hunt male brown bears. You said they seem to avoid each other. Is this true for both, or is one avoiding the other? What's the opinion of your guides on male tigers and bears?

According to Dmitry Pikunov, female brown bears with cubs can be dangerous. During his career, 27 people were killed by brown bears. Some of them were collegues. Would you say brown bears in the Russian Far East are more dangerous than elsewhere? Any particular reason?
I wouldn't say that tigers hunt bears (both males and females) intentionally, this is not their main diet, their favorite are wild boars. But they can kill and eat bears if they meet each other on the forest trails. They rarely follow bears in the forest.
Tigers hunt bears' cubs because it is easy for them. 
I wouldn't say Russian brown bears are more dangerous in the Far East than others, people are killed by brown bears mostly because of their ignorance and incaution in the forest. Almost the same reason for people killed by Amur tigers: may be 90% cases is human fault. All tigers which became human killers were attacked by the humans before.

@Olga.bohai
Hope you are doing great with your trips to see Siberian Tigers and Amur Leopards, don't forget to update us here in the Forum
3 users Like epaiva's post

Russian Federation Olga.bohai Offline

(01-20-2019, 09:59 PM)epaiva Wrote:
Hope you are doing great with your trips to see Siberian Tigers and Amur Leopards, don't forget to update us here in the Forum
Hi! There is nothing to add about bears and tigers confrontation. I just want to tell that many figures about animals population, especially Amur tigers, are falsified. Hunters, indigenous people and locals say that tigers' number is twice higher now in our region than it is officially said. So we can't operate the figures now to make any conclusion.
5 users Like Olga.bohai's post

( This post was last modified: 01-31-2019, 06:56 AM by Olga.bohai )

Hi everybody! We have available space for booking in Amur Leopards Photography tour coming March, may be it could be interesting for somebody:

Last chance to take a photo of Amur leopard in a wild with 32% discount!
Probability: to 95%
Price: from USD 4300 3000
Place: Kedrovaya Pad Reserve, Primorsky krai, Russia
Group size: 1-3 photographers
Date: March, 5th - March, 13th 2019
Visa process: 1 week
Weather: -5-0 C, snow

Also here is our tour calendar for 2019-2020
5 users Like Olga.bohai's post

Canada Wolverine Away
( This post was last modified: 02-02-2019, 06:44 AM by Wolverine )

(01-31-2019, 06:49 AM)Olga.bohai Wrote:
(01-20-2019, 09:59 PM)epaiva Wrote:
Hi! There is nothing to add about bears and tigers confrontation. I just want to tell that many figures about animals population, especially Amur tigers, are falsified. Hunters, indigenous people  and locals say that tigers' number is twice higher now in our region than it is officially said. So we can't operate the figures now to make any conclusion.

What about the planned translocation of Amur leopards in southern Sihote Alin, in their former range? Any news? Untill 1970's I think both tigers and spotted cats inhabited the area of Lazovsky state reserve.

Pantherinae Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Hello @Olga.bohai can you actually see amur leopards and tigers with you're own eyes, or is it just watching camera trap pictures of them? 

If you can actually see them count me in the near future!! , when is the best time to visit if you want to have the highest chances of spotting them?  I have a trip to Kanha in May and also a Masai Mara trip in October planned. 
Siberia might be the trip after this, my biggest dream as a kid was to see a wild Siberian tiger.
5 users Like Pantherinae's post

(02-02-2019, 06:42 AM)Wolverine Wrote: What about the planned translocation of Amur leopards in southern Sihote Alin, in their former range? Any news? Untill 1970's I think both tigers and spotted cats inhabited the area of Lazovsky state reserve.
Good question. Unfortunately this program was closed, I asked the scientists why but they haven't replied me. My vision is that there is misunderstanding between authorities of two reserves: Leopard Land National park and Lazovsky reserve. May be I'm wrong. For now China launched new reserve on the border with Russia and North Korea to protect and to increase the number of leopards and tigers. We hope it will help our wildlife.
Here is an interesting article https://e360.yale.edu/features/china-car...rian-tiger
2 users Like Olga.bohai's post

( This post was last modified: 02-11-2019, 09:18 AM by Olga.bohai )

(02-02-2019, 09:28 AM)Pantherinae Wrote: Hello @Olga.bohai can you actually see amur leopards and tigers with you're own eyes, or is it just watching camera trap pictures of them? 

If you can actually see them count me in the near future!! , when is the best time to visit if you want to have the highest chances of spotting them?  I have a trip to Kanha in May and also a Masai Mara trip in October planned. 
Siberia might be the trip after this, my biggest dream as a kid was to see a wild Siberian tiger.
Hi @Pantherinae !
Yes, in our tours you can see both cats with your own eyes, camera trap is additional equipment to enjoy some videos after the trip.
The best time for leopards is from November to March. For tigers all year round.
The chances to see them are high and depend on group size, more people in the hide - less chances to see them because of extra noise. But less people - higher price.
Tourists from India for example prefer winter time to catch chance to take tigers' pictures on a snow. 
You may send me your email in DM and I'll send you tour calendar and tours description. 
To see Siberian tiger is my dream also, we have one popular expression in Russia "Shoemaker without shoes" - so that is me)) We provide such tours but I have no time and enough patience to stay in the hide to wait)) One day I'll do that. But once I saw Amur leopard in a wild running in 50 meters next to me.
Last week we had a very successful trip for Amur leopards, I'll make a post later about it.
4 users Like Olga.bohai's post

Last week we spent in Leopard Land National park with the tourist from Germany. That was the most successful trip because the tourist booked 1 PAX tour and kept absolute silence during the whole week in the hide.
He saw the leopard 3 days in a row and listened to tigers' roars next to the hide. Plus he saw very rare leopard cat (we call him Amur cat), Siberian weasel and raccoon dogs.
Here are some videos and pictures (the dates set on night vision and camera trap are  wrong). Tomorrow we go back to the reserve with the new group of photographers, wish them good luck))

Amur leopard 1

Amur leopard 2

weasel
1 user Likes Olga.bohai's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(02-11-2019, 11:04 AM)Olga.bohai Wrote: Last week we spent in Leopard Land National park with the tourist from Germany. That was the most successful trip because the tourist booked 1 PAX tour and kept absolute silence during the whole week in the hide.
He saw the leopard 3 days in a row and listened to tigers' roars next to the hide. Plus he saw very rare leopard cat (we call him Amur cat), Siberian weasel and raccoon dogs.
Here are some videos and pictures (the dates set on night vision and camera trap are  wrong). Tomorrow we go back to the reserve with the new group of photographers, wish them good luck))

Amur leopard 1

Amur leopard 2

weasel

Nice footage, you really don´t have snow there now. Here is so much, that half of it would be enough :) Was it so, that this winter there has been with very little snow compared to most winters?

(02-11-2019, 12:52 PM)Shadow Wrote: Nice footage, you really don´t have snow there now. Here is so much, that half of it would be enough :) Was it so, that this winter there has been with very little snow compared to most winters?
Yes, this is the first snowless winter in my life. There is not much on the North of Primorye but still less than in other years. 
We're waiting for the snow here but no good forecasts...
1 user Likes Olga.bohai's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(02-11-2019, 01:00 PM)Olga.bohai Wrote:
(02-11-2019, 12:52 PM)Shadow Wrote: Nice footage, you really don´t have snow there now. Here is so much, that half of it would be enough :) Was it so, that this winter there has been with very little snow compared to most winters?
Yes, this is the first snowless winter in my life. There is not much on the North of Primorye but still less than in other years. 
We're waiting for the snow here but no good forecasts...

How are temperatures? Hopefully bears aren´t waking up too early, if there is a longer time in between waking up and that when berries etc. available it can cause problems. Here in south bears in zoo woke up a month earlier than normally.

(02-11-2019, 01:14 PM)Shadow Wrote: How are temperatures? Hopefully bears aren´t waking up too early, if there is a longer time in between waking up and that when berries etc. available it can cause problems. Here in south bears in zoo woke up a month earlier than normally.
On the South the temperatures are abnormal too, all January was about -5-10, usually it is -10-20 C. Bears still sleep luckily but rut time has shifted for two months among tigers and leopards.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(02-11-2019, 01:40 PM)Olga.bohai Wrote:
(02-11-2019, 01:14 PM)Shadow Wrote: How are temperatures? Hopefully bears aren´t waking up too early, if there is a longer time in between waking up and that when berries etc. available it can cause problems. Here in south bears in zoo woke up a month earlier than normally.
On the South the temperatures are abnormal too, all January was about -5-10, usually it is -10-20 C. Bears still sleep luckily but rut time has shifted for two months among  tigers and leopards.

Well, hopefully nothing too drastic suddenly there. It is still early february so anything is possible of course for some time. Here this winter haven´t been anything extraordinary, just a lot of snow and some cold days, but that´s every year same with temperatures.

( This post was last modified: 02-14-2019, 12:25 PM by Olga.bohai )

Yesterday our tourists in "Amur leopard photography tour" went to the hide in Leopard Land National Park. Everybody were waiting for Amur leopards but they took pictures of...Siberian tiger!!! In a wild! From the hide! This is real sensation! Nobody took professional pictures of Amur tigers in a wild so close! There were 2 guys from Korea and Japan who made such pictures in a distance of several hundred meters and it took more than 70 days to wait... And our tourists did it on the first day! We're very proud of our work and love what we do. We'll get their pictures in the end of the tour when they go out from the hide. For now we have videos from our camera traps. Enjoy)

By the way we still have available dates to this hide, start on March, 5th 2019. Become one of 4 first photographers in the world!

6 users Like Olga.bohai's post

Canada Wolverine Away
( This post was last modified: 02-14-2019, 08:39 PM by Wolverine )

(02-14-2019, 12:20 PM)Olga.bohai Wrote: Yesterday our tourists in "Amur leopard photography tour" went to the hide in Leopard Land National Park. Everybody were waiting for Amur leopards but they took pictures of...Siberian tiger!!! In a wild! From the hide! This is real sensation! Nobody took professional pictures of Amur tigers in a wild so close! There were 2 guys from Korea and Japan who made such pictures in a distance of several hundred meters and it took more than 70 days to wait... And our tourists did it on the first day! We're very proud of our work and love what we do. We'll get their pictures in the end of the tour when they go out from the hide. For now we have videos from our camera traps. Enjoy)

By the way we still have available dates to this hide, start on March, 5th 2019. Become one of 4 first photographers in the world!

Looks like there is no snow on the ground. It's known that winters in your region are dry and cold, but didn't think that they are so dry. Should be enough grass and food for the herbivores.