There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shishangaan Male Lions

United States widmerk Offline

Casper and his coalition, about 3 km North of Satara on H1-4, Oct 17 2023, and another in his coalition mating on Oct 15, 2023 on the H6

Attached Files Image(s)

11 users Like widmerk's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

Two of the Shishangaan males seen last Thursday in KNP
Photo credit: Brad Wilson

*This image is copyright of its original author
8 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(05-10-2024, 10:15 PM)widmerk Wrote: Casper and his coalition, about 3 km North of Satara on H1-4, Oct 17 2023, and another in his coalition mating on Oct 15, 2023 on the H6

Awesome shots buddy!
2 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

Casper of the Shishangaan coalition with new fresh scars
Photo credits: Wild Yusuf

8 users Like T I N O's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

(05-17-2024, 07:01 AM)T I N O Wrote: Casper of the Shishangaan coalition with new fresh scars
Photo credits: Wild Yusuf

Maybe Casper got the scar over food because that belly looks humongous
4 users Like afortich's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

The bigger-maned Shishangaan male 
Photo credit: Couple on Safari

9 users Like T I N O's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(05-18-2024, 08:24 PM)T I N O Wrote: The bigger-maned Shishangaan male 

Man, he is looking amazing!
2 users Like BA0701's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(05-18-2024, 09:05 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(05-18-2024, 08:24 PM)T I N O Wrote: The bigger-maned Shishangaan male 

Man, he is looking amazing!

He is a magnificent cat! Look at that dark-maned.
1 user Likes T I N O's post

United States Cath2020 Offline

Footloose is by far the best looking of the 4 with his long, dark mane.  It's amazing to behold.  Only one of the Mantemahle Males rivals his mane growth, covering their shoulder blades.
3 users Like Cath2020's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

The Casper's story... Soon (June/July 2024) it will be ten years old !

" Casper the White Lion and his Shishangaan Brothers are turning ten years old in June / July 2024.
White lions  are rare since the mating female and male must both carry a recessive gene termed leucism in order to create a white lion cub. The likelihood of both lions carrying this gene is exceedingly low, which is why these pale-colored lions with blue eyes are so unique.

The guides referred to this newborn white cub as "The white ghost of the Lebombo Mountains," and he was quickly given the name Casper - The White Lion of the Lebombo Mountains.
Casper grew up among eight other young male lions born into the Shishangaan Pride at the same time as him.
These nine "Brothers" forged a very special connection with one another and would later leave the pride together to begin their nomadic existence in pursuit of their own pride.
In 2018, the nine Shish Brothers, as they were then known, began their nomadic journey north-east in the direction of an area near Satara Rest Camp in Kruger Park.

Later that year, they trespassed on the territory of the Ngotso South / S90 pride, which was led by three mean S37 males. This only meant trouble.
Soon, the Shish brothers' paths collided with those of the much older Ngotso South Pride males, and a bloodbath ensued.

Four of the Shish brothers were killed in the ensuing conflict, but the remaining five young males, including Casper, escaped and headed south to a location near Mathikithi, just north of the Sweni River.
The five brothers spent the following two years there and were rarely seen.
Then, in late 2020, right after the Covid 19 lockdown, four of the Shish brothers, including Casper, began to relocate north and settled around Satara Rest Camp in Kruger Park. The fifth brother was never seen again after disappearing during the lockdown time.
The four Shish Brothers, now six years old and in their prime, had claimed the territory around Satara. The stunning Lionesses of the Satara Pride were theirs for the taking.

Soon, three gorgeous cubs were born, followed by three more and two more shortly after that.
Within a few months, the Satara Lionesses had eight cubs, which were fathered by Casper and his Shishangaan brothers.

Casper is described as a gentle, bashful dreamer. When on patrol, Casper would always follow from behind. And when the brothers roar to assert their control over the territory, Casper roars the least, and not with the same dedication.

When approaching a lioness in heat, Casper appears to be quite shy and uncomfortable in her company, even when the lioness approaches him.
Slaps from irritated lionesses created the majority of the scars on Casper's face. Poor Casper, the dreamer.
From that time visitors to Satara in Kruger Park were treated to the nightly roaring of the brothers patrolling their territory to protect their pride and cubs from trespassing lions.

Even during the day, tourists on game drives could see the Shishangaan brothers hunting, mating, or simply relaxing on the road or in the shade of a nearby tree.
Visitors from all around the world flocked to Satara in Kruger Park to witness this renowned coalition of Casper the white lion and brothers.
Since Casper had become so well-known, it seemed fitting to name his three brothers as well.
Cassanova was the one with the most mating sessions with the Satara lionesses.
We nicknamed the oldest one with the large mane Footloose because of how easily he strolled while on patrol.
The third one was named Mfowethu, which means "big brother," because he appeared to be the coalition's leader at the time.
A youthful sub adult male aso entered the scene. He was most likely a brother or half-brother of the Satara Lionesses.
At first, he would only join the pride when the Shish brothers were not present, but it soon became clear that the brothers somewhat tolerated his presence.
He has a branded marking on his rear upper thigh done by researchers, therefore we named him Zorro.
During August 2022, the four Shish brothers decided to expand their territory and moved west towards the Nsemani dam.
The Nsemani Pride was then led by two renowned lions, Senior Mbiri and his coalition partner Rockfig, but both were elderly and nearing the end of their lives.
"
5 users Like Spalea's post

Contributor

The story of Casper and his brothers

3 users Like afortich's post

South Africa Wyld@Heart Offline

I watched the video and would be nice if he could provide some sort of context to the video or explain that some scenes aren't filmed in sequence. Obviously every story needs some footage to go along with it however for example, the male lion between 9min35 and 10min was not running away from Casper and co, at least not in that instance. He was literally just outside Satara that morning and was startled by a foot patrol and took off like a shot and kept on going. I was there!

Good video nonetheless, I don't think there is another content maker or indeed anyone outside of conservation or research who has more knowledge of Casper and co than this guy
3 users Like Wyld@Heart's post

adamstocks16 Offline

Has the dark maned brother been seen recently? Every update seems to be Casper or his other two brothers. I know he has some health problems so maybe just permanently hanging with the pride instead of actively patrolling etc with the others.
2 users Like adamstocks16's post

Contributor

(05-30-2024, 03:10 PM)Wyld@Heart Wrote: I watched the video and would be nice if he could provide some sort of context to the video or explain that some scenes aren't filmed in sequence. Obviously every story needs some footage to go along with it however for example, the male lion between 9min35 and 10min was not running away from Casper and co, at least not in that instance. He was literally just outside Satara that morning and was startled by a foot patrol and took off like a shot and kept on going. I was there!

Good video nonetheless, I don't think there is another content maker or indeed anyone outside of conservation or research who has more knowledge of Casper and co than this guy

Agree with you my friend!!
2 users Like afortich's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

4 users Like Mdz123's post