There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Russian Brown Bears

India brotherbear Offline
Grizzly Enthusiast

http://shaggygod.proboards.com/thread/20...ing?page=8  

~~www.prooutfitters.ru/netcat_files/452/558/Predators.pdf 

Amur Brown Bear ( Ursus arctos lasiotus ) is found on Southern Kuril Islands, Sakhalin, Maritime Territory and Ussuri/Amur river region south of the stanovoy Range. His hide is almost black color. The trophy size of Amur Brown Bear runs between 8 - 8.5 feet / 2.4 - 2.6 m.

3 users Like brotherbear's post

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher

Mmmm, many of those "giant" bears are fake pictures, taken from tricky angles and with the hunter very far from the dead bear.

Dirty tricks from people that think that killing animals will give them importance in they little and nasty worlds. [img]images/smilies/dodgy.gif[/img]

3 users Like GuateGojira's post

Grizzly Enthusiast

Yes, hunters are always seeking bragging rights and often through underhanded means. however, the article I posted I'm thinking is authentic; stating that Ussiri brown bears can measure up to from 8 to 8.5 feet long.
2 users Like brotherbear's post

Grizzly Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-22-2015, 05:58 PM by brotherbear )

~~New World record skull size Kamchatka Brown Bear at 30 11/16 inchesGreatest length of skull 18 13/16"=47,78 cmGreatest width of skull =11 14/16"=30,16 cm
Source www.scirecordbook.org 
First posted by Warsaw - http://shaggygod.proboards.com/

1 user Likes brotherbear's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(06-22-2015, 05:56 PM)'brotherbear' Wrote: ~~New World record skull size Kamchatka Brown Bear at 30 11/16 inchesGreatest length of skull 18 13/16"=47,78 cmGreatest width of skull =11 14/16"=30,16 cm
Source www.scirecordbook.org 
First posted by Warsaw - http://shaggygod.proboards.com/

It wont let me search.

Grizzly Enthusiast

You would have to register first. That's something that I haven't done yet either, but probably will do soon.

Bigcat Enthusiast

(06-22-2015, 10:31 PM)'brotherbear' Wrote: You would have to register first. That's something that I haven't done yet either, but probably will do soon.

Figured, I'd be curious what the hunting records are, but don't think I want to contribute to them.
Let us know what you find if you do.....
Its a weird position to be in haha

2 users Like Pckts's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
( This post was last modified: 07-06-2015, 10:59 PM by sanjay )

A young bear cub from Kurilskiy Nature Reserve , Russia died as he fall down from cliff.
Young bears, especially just weaned from her mother, often perish from the clutches of the adult males, inexperience (go into hibernation in awkward places) or through negligence.

*This image is copyright of its original author

Credit to: Amurs Russian Far East / Amurs Дальнего Востока России FB page
2 users Like sanjay's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(06-20-2015, 09:47 AM)'GuateGojira' Wrote:  

Quick question, Warsaw says that two other ussuri bears have been weighed and one is 250kg and the other 350kg, are these reliable and should you use them for your table you created?

We need sources and verifications on those alleged weights and measurements and then I will happily inform guate to apply them to the comparison if those are provided.
Source No 1 Ivan Seryodkin
Бурый медведь Сихотэ-Алиня: экология, поведение, охрана и хозяйственное использование
Середкин Иван Владимирович

Ivan Seryodkin [email protected] Project Leader, Siberian Tiger Project Ivan, who specializes in large carnivores, has a PhD in biology and holds a position as an assistant professor and the head of the Laboratory of ecology and wildlife conservation in the Pacific Institute of Geography of the Russian Academy of Sciences in Vladivostok. Ivan has worked with WCS since 1998, participating in different programs such as the Siberian Tiger Project, Brown bear and Asiatic black bear research programs at the Sikhote-Alin Biosphere Reserve, and the Kamchatka brown bear research program. Ivan is presently the Siberian Tiger Project Coordinator.

Source No 2

БУРЫЕ МАРАФОНЦЫ
Всего за восемь лет радиомаячки были надеты на шеи более четырех десятков медведей двух видов. Особенно активно косолапые стали попадаться в петли, когда ученые начали раскладывать возле ловушек пахучую приманку, к примеру, порченое мясо или рыбу. Правда, были отдельные умники, поедавшие всю приманку, но при этом умело обходившие все петли. Рекордсменами по весу оказались бурые самец - более 350 кг и самка - 222 кг. Среди гималайцев самым тяжелым оказался самец весом в 205 кг, а самочка - 101 кг. Есть у меченых медведей и рекордсмены по возрасту. Некоторым животным уже перевалило за 20 лет.
Читать далее: http://vladnews.ru/1360/zdorove-ekologiy...batarejkah
Все новости Владивостока и Дальнего Востока на Vladnews.ru
http://vladnews.ru/1360/zdorove-ekologiy...batarejkah

2 users Like Pckts's post

Grizzly Enthusiast

250 kg = 551 pounds and 350 kg = 772 pounds. These bears are still within the size range of inland grizzlies of North America although those of the far north are smaller, very rarely reaching 500 pounds. Establishing an average weight for brown bears is an ordeal and probably never accurate.

Bigcat Enthusiast

I just meant in terms of the Comparison Image Table that Gaute made.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Expert & Researcher

Why Warsaw never translate his sources???

For the first source, he most present the document itself or image of it, period.

The second source seems reliable, but the name of the author could not be properly translated by Google Translator, and I can't found the date of the article. Warsaw most present the translated name of the author, the date and the translated name of the article, in order to quote it properly.

Only two weights can be used: male of 350 kg and female of 222 kg. The male of 205 kg and the female of 101 kg are from other area.
2 users Like GuateGojira's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(08-09-2015, 01:43 PM)GuateGojira Wrote: Why Warsaw never translate his sources???

For the first source, he most present the document itself or image of it, period.

The second source seems reliable, but the name of the author could not be properly translated by Google Translator, and I can't found the date of the article. Warsaw most present the translated name of the author, the date and the translated name of the article, in order to quote it properly.

Only two weights can be used: male of 350 kg and female of 222 kg. The male of 205 kg and the female of 101 kg are from other area.

I agree, I don't like them not being translated either.
Its difficult to translate large amount of text.

Expert & Researcher
( This post was last modified: 08-23-2015, 07:03 AM by GuateGojira )

Well, In Carnivora, @Pckts show us that Warsaw and now @WaveRiders are in a run discrediting @peter and I, showing our mistakes and painting them like if it were the end of the world.

The mistake was the inclusion of a bear from another location in the group of Ussuri bears. Well, here is the solution, we just put it out and there is no issue anymore.

Here is, again, the comparative image of the Amur tiger and the Ussuri bear.

I can't include the figures of Warsaw because they are not properly translated and sometimes, Google translator don't make good translations with the last names. If Warsaw provide it, there will be no problem in include it (last name of the author and date of the article), and if he had more data on Ussiri bears, it will be good if he share it, in a good manner of course.

Now, the problem is the form that Waveriders present those mistakes, with posts full of hate, even other posters in Carnivora see this.

I have say many times, we are not perfect, not even real scientists are out of making mistakes. However, a normal person could present those mistakes "here" in this forum and not in a completely different place where we don't go (If Pckts don't tell us, we were ignorant of those posts). In this form, we can see that the objective of Waveriders is not to "correct" those mistakes, but just affect our reputation.

It is sad to see that what was a good posted in AVA (when we never enter in hard discussions) became in an insane poster here and in Carnivora. I feel pity for you Wave. :neutral-fill:

It is interesting too that this comparative image of bear and tiger caused more trouble than that of lions, however this is because of these two posters from Carnivora, which obviously have personal issues with us, for no apparent reason.
7 users Like GuateGojira's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

I have been out of town, so I haven't seen any thing on carnivora in a while.

They prefer to grab a hold of one mistake as oppose to seeing the immense amount of work that went in to it as well as all the other reliable information attached to it.

Like "whether or not amur where measured in straight line" and using a single image of a sub adult tigress which doesn't even say if it was measured over the curves or not, then use it to completely discredit all the other weights used or the comparison. Its been quite the eye opener in some of these debates, I try not in involve any one else to fight my battles, I just want to make sure the information I use is correct.