There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Predation of Adult Rhino By Kaziranga Tigers: WII Expert Rabin Sharma’s Documentation

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert
( This post was last modified: 11-12-2019, 12:17 PM by Roflcopters )

Wildlife Institute of India’s tiger expert, Rabin Sharma’s documented cases of Adult Rhino predation by tigers.

A small story about rhino & tiger in Kaziranga NationalPark
28th February,2008. I was supervising the field preparation for upcoming Population Estimation for Asiatic Wild Buffalo (Bubalus Arnee). With me was Tarun Gogoi(for mapping), Prabhat Hazarika (Armed Guard) & Lakhi Das(Driver). At around 2.40 pm we were travelling eastwards from Rutikhowa junction. 
Suddenly, we saw a rhino was running very fast from our left side to right side crossing the road just in front of us.  A deer(we presumed) ran (blurred) after the rhino. I immediately asked Lakhi to switch off the vehicle because I was anticipating a tiger to cross the road after the fleeing rhino & deer. In the meantime we heard a loud crashing sound towards our right. We waited for two minutes. No tiger.  We thought that  tiger has sensed us  and aborted the hunt. So, we got down from the vehicle and gone to inspect the place from where crashing sound came. Behold!  An adult female rhino was lying down in agony. Hamstrings of the hind legs were severed, no other injury. The rhino was fully alive. We returned to Rutikhowa Camp and brought the staff to show the location of the injured rhino. When, we reached the spot, fresh blood was oozing out from the hind portion. My friends insisted on taking few photos with a live wild rhino! Then I had fleeting glimpse of  TIGERS (may be 3 or 4)  approx. 40 feet behind my friends. Hurried back to the road and sent the msg to the Director Surendranath Buragohain & DFO Bankim Sarma.  Next day rhino was found half devoured. (First 4 photos of that incident.) 

*This image is copyright of its original author

Second case involving an adult male rhino and a tiger. in this case, it seems the tiger died in the fight as well.

#WONDERFUL NATURE
It happens (only?) in Kaziranga National Park, a wildlife paradise. 
11th November, 2017. Deep inside the Kaziranga Tiger Reserve widerness.

After thorough observation by Research Officer, Range Officer, Forest Veterinery Officer, Field Director, Deputy Field Director, Vets from CWRC, Honorary Wl Warden in presence of NTCA representatives, staff, media persons and after thorough Post Mortem, it was concluded that cause of death of two flagship species is 'interspecific fight', which is perfactly natural.
(Procedures had been completed at 9.30 pm)
Photo: Manik Ali responding to request of the angle with my camera.

A dead rhino and a dead tiger 38 feet away from it. 7th November, 2017.

(Do not worry, no poaching involved. Only interspecific fight)

Credits to Rabin Sharma.
12 users Like Roflcopters's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Great finds, thanks Copters
3 users Like Pckts's post

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert
( This post was last modified: 11-13-2019, 02:05 AM by Roflcopters )

Kaziranga male feeding on his rhino kill.

male from Kaziranga feeding on his kill (4:45pm)

one hour later, tiger dragged the 600kg carcass 40 feet away. (5:48pm)

10 minutes later, same male was seen by the carcass at the new location. (5:58pm)

Tiger ate up to (10:25 pm) with few breaks here and there and hid the carcass again.

same spot being inspected by a Water Buffalo. (3:40am)

Credits to the field director of Kaziranga and Rabin Sharma of WII

Two tigers share a Water Buffalo kill.

Water buffalo carcass being inspected by a forest guard. (5:23pm)

one hour later, male tiger seen near the kill. (6:23pm)

feeding on the kill (6:25pm)

26 minutes later. (6:51pm)

two hours later, the golden tabby tigress female also known as Kazi106f was seen at the kill. (8:48pm)

one hour later. (9:43pm)

5 hours later, same male can be seen on the kill. (2:28am)

Credits to Rabin Sharma and Kaziranga Park for the camera trap images.
12 users Like Roflcopters's post

Dennis Offline

(11-13-2019, 02:02 AM)Roflcopters Wrote: Kaziranga male feeding on his rhino kill.

male from Kaziranga feeding on his kill (4:45pm)

one hour later, tiger dragged the 600kg carcass 40 feet away. (5:48pm)

10 minutes later, same male was seen by the carcass at the new location. (5:58pm)

Tiger ate up to (10:25 pm) with few breaks here and there and hid the carcass again.

same spot being inspected by a Water Buffalo. (3:40am)

Credits to the field director of Kaziranga and Rabin Sharma of WII

Two tigers share a Water Buffalo kill.

Water buffalo carcass being inspected by a forest guard. (5:23pm)

one hour later, male tiger seen near the kill. (6:23pm)

feeding on the kill (6:25pm)

26 minutes later. (6:51pm)

two hours later, the golden tabby tigress female also known as Kazi106f was seen at the kill. (8:48pm)

one hour later. (9:43pm)

5 hours later, same male can be seen on the kill. (2:28am)

Credits to Rabin Sharma and Kaziranga Park for the camera trap images.

Golden tabby? I guess it happens. And there would be no reason for the male and the female to be aggressive towards each other after all, they are probably mates/already live along side each other, no?
2 users Like Dennis's post

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert

I uploaded them all on imgbb and all the pictures have been publicly shared by Mr.Rabin Sharma for educational purposes.
3 users Like Roflcopters's post

Ashutosh Offline
Contributor

Great find @Roflcopters. I seem to recall another case of a tiger and rhino found dead alongside, but, in that instance there was scat discovered of a third tiger. The dead tiger was a sub-adult and the theory went that a big male had killed a female rhino, and this subadult was very much tucking into the kill when the big male discovered it doing so and killed it. Do you happen to know anything about that incident?

Would actually love to see some footage of how a 250 kilo tiger brings down a 1700 kilo female rhino. Would be fascinating.
3 users Like Ashutosh's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 11-13-2019, 03:58 PM by Rishi )

(11-13-2019, 12:51 PM)Ashutosh Wrote: Great find @Roflcopters. I seem to recall another case of a tiger and rhino found dead alongside, but, in that instance there was scat discovered of a third tiger. The dead tiger was a sub-adult and the theory went that a big male had killed a female rhino, and this subadult was very much tucking into the kill when the big male discovered it doing so and killed it. Do you happen to know anything about that incident?

Would actually love to see some footage of how a 250 kilo tiger brings down a 1700 kilo female rhino. Would be fascinating.

Something to wonder indeed. 

Note that in the first case it was a clear hamstringing, with visible claw gashes on both hind legs & torn up hindquarters...
(11-12-2019, 12:01 PM)Roflcopter Wrote:

...but in the second set of photos the tiger is eating from the rhino's shoulder-blades & neck, instead of the rump where they usualy start. Go figure.
(11-13-2019, 02:02 AM)Roflcopters Wrote:

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-14-2019, 10:02 PM by Shadow )

(11-13-2019, 03:57 PM)Rishi Wrote:
(11-13-2019, 12:51 PM)Ashutosh Wrote: Great find @Roflcopters. I seem to recall another case of a tiger and rhino found dead alongside, but, in that instance there was scat discovered of a third tiger. The dead tiger was a sub-adult and the theory went that a big male had killed a female rhino, and this subadult was very much tucking into the kill when the big male discovered it doing so and killed it. Do you happen to know anything about that incident?

Note that in the first case it was a clear hamstringing, with visible claw gashes on both hind legs & torn up hindquarters...

...but in the second set of photos the tiger is eating from the rhino's shoulder-blades & neck, instead of the rump where they usualy start. Go figure.

That 600 kg rhino was obviously a calf. What comes to that adult female it´s interesting that there were 3-4 tigers hunting it, I think that there is another case also from past with 4 tigers attacking an adult rhino. Have some tigers learned, that rhino is too tough opponent to attack alone, so occasionally hunting like lions? Quite interesting to find information for this kind of situations. Also that male rhino and tiger found dead close to each others would be interesting to find more information. I didn´t see any injuries in photos when looking at rhino. Tiger had obvious big wounds, but was rhino killed by wounds or heart attack etc. if old male. It would make sense, that tiger would attack if noticing, that unhealthy or injured rhino already because so dangerous animal to attack.

It´s a pity, that usually very little information when cases like these.
2 users Like Shadow's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators

(11-14-2019, 08:08 PM)Shadow Wrote: ...it´s interesting that there were 3-4 tigers hunting it, I think that there is another case also from past with 4 tigers attacking an adult rhino. Have some tigers learned, that rhino is too tough opponent to attack alone, so occasionally hunting like lions?

Those were likely family groups, mates or young-adult cubs or both. But yes, some parts could use a bit elaboration & details. @Roflcopters did he release any more text with the images?
2 users Like Rishi's post

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 11-15-2019, 01:07 AM by Pckts )

(11-14-2019, 08:08 PM)Shadow Wrote:

That 600 kg rhino was obviously a calf. What comes to that adult female it´s interesting that there were 3-4 tigers hunting it, I think that there is another case also from past with 4 tigers attacking an adult rhino. Have some tigers learned, that rhino is too tough opponent to attack alone, so occasionally hunting like lions? Quite interesting to find information for this kind of situations. Also that male rhino and tiger found dead close to each others would be interesting to find more information. I didn´t see any injuries in photos when looking at rhino. Tiger had obvious big wounds, but was rhino killed by wounds or heart attack etc. if old male. It would make sense, that tiger would attack if noticing, that unhealthy or injured rhino already because so dangerous animal to attack.

600kg is no where near a calf, possibly a sub adult but still a huge beast.

They did conduct post mortem on the male Rhino and concluded it was due to Interspecific fighting, the Rhino also does appear to have blood dripping from it's hind section as well but it's hard to see from the single shot.

"After thorough observation by Research Officer, Range Officer, Forest Veterinery Officer, Field Director, Deputy Field Director, Vets from CWRC, Honorary Wl Warden in presence of NTCA representatives, staff, media persons and after thorough Post Mortem, it was concluded that cause of death of two flagship species is 'interspecific fight', which is perfactly natural."

The likely hood of it being a heart attack yet still being able to fight and kill a large male tiger simultaneously seems far fetched to me.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-15-2019, 01:32 AM by Shadow )

(11-15-2019, 12:55 AM)Pckts Wrote:

They did conduct post mortem on the male Rhino and concluded it was due to Interspecific fighting, the Rhino also does appear to have blood dripping from it's hind section as well but it's hard to see from the single shot.

"After thorough observation by Research Officer, Range Officer, Forest Veterinery Officer, Field Director, Deputy Field Director, Vets from CWRC, Honorary Wl Warden in presence of NTCA representatives, staff, media persons and after thorough Post Mortem, it was concluded that cause of death of two flagship species is 'interspecific fight', which is perfactly natural."

The likely hood of it being a heart attack yet still being able to fight and kill a large male tiger simultaneously isn't likely.

If I don´t remember all wrong, adult females are around 1 600 kg and males 2100 kg, so a 600 kg rhino is hardly sub adult, calf is right term as far as I understand, what comes to these animals.

And what comes to that case with dead rhino and tiger, I didn´t see any wounds or blood there in those photos. Also killing a tiger and then having some kind of seizure wouldn´t surprise me at all. I remember reading about one case with old rhino, which had heart attack because of tiger attacking it. A lot of stress tends to cause such things for mammals, especially if old or bad health. I would call that too perfectly normal interspecific fight, because predators often target to individuals, which show signs of weakness. As I said, it´s pity that so little information about cases like this one. When I don´t see any blood in those photos what comes to this case with dead rhino and tiger, when I look at that rhino, it makes me wonder did it die to injuries or seizure caused by stress. So seizure when or right after fighting with that tiger.

We can all speculate naturally, but maybe someone finds more information from officials? Very interesting incident.
1 user Likes Shadow's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(11-15-2019, 01:20 AM)Shadow Wrote:

The likely hood of it being a heart attack yet still being able to fight and kill a large male tiger simultaneously isn't likely.

If I don´t remember all wrong, adult females are around 1 600 kg and males 2100 kg, so a 600 kg rhino is hardly sub adult, calf is right term as far as I understand, what comes to these animals.

And what comes to that case with dead rhino and tiger, I didn´t see any wounds there in those photos. Also killing a tiger and then having some kind of seizure wouldn´t surprise me at all. I remember reading about one case with old rhino, which had heart attack because of tiger attacking it. A lot of stress tends to cause such things for mammals, especially if old or bad health. I would call that too perfectly normal interspecific fight, because predators often target to individuals, which show signs of weakness. As I said, it´s pity that so little information about cases like this one. I don´t see any blood in those photos what comes to case with dead rhino and tiger, when I look at that rhino so it makes me wonder, that did it die to injuries or seizure caused by stress and seizure when fighting with that tiger.

We can all speculate naturally, but maybe someone finds more information from officials? Very interesting incident.
Calves are considered very young- newborns, considering a rhino calf weighs around 80-140lbs when born, 600kg would surely be a sub adult. 
Also, I'm sure the 600kg was an estimate since I doubt they weighed it, but you can clearly see the Rhino is large compared to the people and since he specifically calls it an Adult, I doubt Calf is the correct term.

In regards to a heart attack you're speaking of, that would still occur during the attack it self, but since that wasn't mentioned infighting was, again that seems like a stretch. 
If you look on the hind leg portion you can also see what looks to possibly be blood dripping as well as dark blotches towards the hamstring section as well.

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-15-2019, 01:53 AM by Shadow )

(11-15-2019, 01:33 AM)Pckts Wrote:

And what comes to that case with dead rhino and tiger, I didn´t see any wounds there in those photos. Also killing a tiger and then having some kind of seizure wouldn´t surprise me at all. I remember reading about one case with old rhino, which had heart attack because of tiger attacking it. A lot of stress tends to cause such things for mammals, especially if old or bad health. I would call that too perfectly normal interspecific fight, because predators often target to individuals, which show signs of weakness. As I said, it´s pity that so little information about cases like this one. I don´t see any blood in those photos what comes to case with dead rhino and tiger, when I look at that rhino so it makes me wonder, that did it die to injuries or seizure caused by stress and seizure when fighting with that tiger.

Calves are considered very young- newborns, considering a rhino calf weighs around 80-140lbs when born, 600kg would surely be a sub adult. 
Also, I'm sure the 600kg was an estimate since I doubt they weighed it, but you can clearly see the Rhino is large compared to the people and since he specifically calls it an Adult, I doubt Calf is the correct term.

In regards to a heart attack you're speaking of, that would still occur during the attack it self, but since that wasn't mentioned infighting was, again that seems like a stretch. 
If you look on the hind leg portion you can also see what looks to possibly be blood dripping as well as dark blotches towards the hamstring section as well.

Ok, sub adult for you and calf for me. Or maybe juvenile is right word then. I mean when adult female would be about 2,5-3 times heavier and adult male about 4 times heavier, sub adult sounds stretch too far for me. Or would you consider 50-60 kg male tiger as subadult maybe? When talking about greater one-horned rhino, 600 kg means a little child, no matter what word is used.

And what comes to that other case, I said already what I had in my mind :)

Bigcat Enthusiast

(11-15-2019, 01:50 AM)Shadow Wrote:

Ok, sub adult for you and calf for me. Or maybe juvenile is right word then. I mean when adult female would be about 2,5-3 times heavier and adult male about 4 times heavier, sub adult sounds stretch too far for me. Or would you consider 50-60 kg male tiger as subadult maybe? When talking about greater one-horned rhino, 600 kg means a little child, no matter what word is used.

Calf is between the age of newborn-1 year old for Bovines and similar herbivores
"a young bovine animal, especially a domestic cow or bull in its first year."

Comparing to a Carnivore isn't correct since their lifespan is shorter and they grow much faster.
Although still a Tiger over the age of 1 would still be considered a Sub Adult by most. 

Here is a Rhino Calf for comparison 

compared to 

As you can clearly see, this Rhino was definitely large, it's quoted as an adult but maybe not quite full grown but still a big creature. 

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(11-15-2019, 02:07 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(11-15-2019, 01:50 AM)Shadow Wrote:

Calf is between the age of newborn-1 year old for Bovines and similar herbivores
"a young bovine animal, especially a domestic cow or bull in its first year."

Comparing to a Carnivore isn't correct since their lifespan is shorter and they grow much faster.
Although still a Tiger over the age of 1 would still be considered a Sub Adult by most. 

Here is a Rhino Calf for comparison 

compared to 

As you can clearly see, this Rhino was definitely large, it's quoted as an adult but maybe not quite full grown but still a big creature. 

You are now mixing adult female to that 600 kg juvenile in other posting. That adult female is good sized and it was attacked by 3-4 tigers.

When I talk about 600 kg "child" it´s mentioned in another posting. Here have been now 3 different cases, adult female rhino, adult male rhino and then third one (estimated) is that 600 kg, which can be called whatever anyone wants, but it´s not even close to adult size. Was that youngster 600 kg or +- 100 kg, it´s clear that when estimated so small, it haven´t been even closely to adult size.