There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Plains Camp males

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-14-2024, 07:22 PM by Tr1x24 )

(05-14-2024, 06:15 PM)Robot00 Wrote: I find it fascinating when male lions fight over mating rights. I wondered if the first male "humans" were like that. We were once wild after all

Yes, early humans behave very similar to lions when it comes to mating, thru "dominance hierarchy", strongest and most dominant male was leader of the group and in charge, he got the first "right" for mating.

Social structure and hierarchy of early humans operated very similar to what we see today in monkey and other primate communities, which is not that different from lion and some other mammals social structure.

Even today we see competition between guys for girls, but mostly thru social rank and status, not direct display of "dominance", although even today we can see 2 guys clashing in a real fight over a girl.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(05-14-2024, 05:51 PM)Vengeous Wrote:
(05-14-2024, 05:42 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(05-14-2024, 05:26 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: Because they are killing a lot of the lions I like.  I mean.. it's what they do, but...

Thats what lions do.

All great coalitions killed many other lions, thats not a reason to dislike them.

Ultimately, one day in future, PCMs will get the same fate, either by lions, hyenas or buffaloes (those who die "peacfully" in the wild are very rare) and i bet you will feel sorry for them when that happens.

So "cherish" this moment, where we are witnessing mighty coalition displaying their power.
I think what a lot of people forget is that from an evolutionary perspective, the PCMs can't be content with sitting in the west and watching their cubs grow up. They're in their prime, and even if you'd argue they're not the most formidable lions in Sabi Sands, they're certainly the most aggressive/ambitious. It is their job to spread their genes to ensure the next generation of lions have the strongest and best genes possible to survive. And unlike humans, they'll kill a female for refusing them because if you don't submit to them, you may pose a threat to this mission to spread their genes. Not that they're necessarily aware of evolutionary concepts - just that it's hardwired in them to ensure the continuity of their gene pool before they're old and frail and other lions kill them and their cubs. The PCMs turn 7 soon, they've got another 2-3 years at the top level. There is little evidence of other males encoraching in their territory in the West, so naturally they're expanding.

Well said
3 users Like T I N O's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-14-2024, 07:33 PM by Tr1x24 )

(05-14-2024, 07:17 PM)T I N O Wrote: Please, Ferguson remember they’re wild lions and do what male lions do when they’re in the process of expanding their territories and taking over a pride. In such a process means they’ll kill cubs, females and if the dominant males refuse to run off, the same. To avoid a debate as happens in Facebook groups when such a comment like that is made, I’ll take action in the matter and I'll remove that comment from the thread. WildFact is totally different to any other social media and that is why it is considered by many, one of the best sites when it comes to finding reliable information and a healthy community at the time of debate,posts and discussions about point of views. Thank you for your understanding, Ferguson!

I think he didnt mean anything bad with his comment, sometimes we get emotional observing these animals, but we need to remember these are wild animals and thats how they behave, we cant watch and judge them thru our moral principles and ethics.
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(05-14-2024, 03:59 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: Boys are back on the move from Hoffman property to Arathusa area

Absolutely beast!!

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(05-14-2024, 05:20 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Here is the answer why bigger maned male is always so scared on face, looks like his bro is not to be mess around when theres females for mating:

Although bigger maned male is more impressive, since they came to SS as nomads in 2020, I always saw his brother as more of a leader figure between the 2.

Looks like these boys are continuing slowly with their expansion towards north and Nkuhumas.

Kambulas are only one who can stop that, but looks like they are not ready yet to face them.

Both are looking really in top shape. The bigger-mamed male is such a beautiful specimen.

United States T_Ferguson Offline

(05-14-2024, 07:32 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(05-14-2024, 07:17 PM)T I N O Wrote: Please, Ferguson remember they’re wild lions and do what male lions do when they’re in the process of expanding their territories and taking over a pride. In such a process means they’ll kill cubs, females and if the dominant males refuse to run off, the same. To avoid a debate as happens in Facebook groups when such a comment like that is made, I’ll take action in the matter and I'll remove that comment from the thread. WildFact is totally different to any other social media and that is why it is considered by many, one of the best sites when it comes to finding reliable information and a healthy community at the time of debate,posts and discussions about point of views. Thank you for your understanding, Ferguson!

I think he didnt mean anything bad with his comment, sometimes we get emotional observing these animals, but we need to remember these are wild animals and thats how they behave, we cant watch and judge them thru our moral principles and ethics.

I believe TINO was addressing the other comment I made about males scrapping over mating rights.  Message received and taken.  In my opinion, you can still make constructive arguments about disliking certain lions in relation to them harming those you like, or are partial too.  I agree the PCM's are specimens to behold and true dominant male lions.  I just hate where they are being the best at.

The curiosity is.. there isn't much up in the north to take over, and if they are really looking to spread out... the only next stops are to check in on the power of the N'Was and Gijimas...
2 users Like T_Ferguson's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-14-2024, 08:37 PM by Tr1x24 )

(05-14-2024, 08:13 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: The curiosity is.. there isn't much up in the north to take over, and if they are really looking to spread out... the only next stops are to check in on the power of the N'Was and Gijimas...

Well, theres 4 adult NK females and 3-4 three yrs old sub females who will be ready for mating in a year or so, thats around the same number of females they currently have in the west.

They might also find few solo females on the way, like Kambula sister.

So that area definetly has a lot of potential for them..

South Africa Rabubi Offline

(05-14-2024, 02:46 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: They definitely mean business

Such powerful specimens! Hopefully they don't spread themselves too thin as they expand their already vast territory.
2 users Like Rabubi's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

PCM officially trying to take over the NK pride now and one could say they have taken the North already since there's nobody to contest their claim.

Maybe the Manghenis can still be under them, they're closer to the North and can move their territory further north and east if necessary, most of the area is fenced which is an advantage, and back in the day they moved their territory further west to follow the Majingilane taking over the Westen Sector from the Selatis.

But as for the Ximhungwe in the deep west, it's hard to imagine the PCM not abandoning them eventually.
3 users Like Mapokser's post

Friarfan619 Offline

Crazy strong these2

" target="_blank" class="post_link">
3 users Like Friarfan619's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 05-15-2024, 12:06 AM by T I N O )

Plains camp males featured finally on WildEarth! 
Photo below: the Bigger-maned Plains Camp male

*This image is copyright of its original author
9 users Like T I N O's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-14-2024, 11:06 PM by Tr1x24 )

(05-14-2024, 10:01 PM)Mapokser Wrote: PCM officially trying to take over the NK pride now and one could say they have taken the North already since there's nobody to contest their claim.

Maybe the Manghenis can still be under them, they're closer to the North and can move their territory further north and east if necessary, most of the area is fenced which is an advantage, and back in the day they moved their territory further west to follow the Majingilane taking over the Westen Sector from the Selatis.

But as for the Ximhungwe in the deep west, it's hard to imagine the PCM not abandoning them eventually.

We will see, I dont expect PCMs to abandon west just over night, they are and will be returning there.

Also, its not like PCMs territory didnt span to half Londolozi even before, now they just moved that "line" a bit north.

So, as we see, its not like they drastically move further.

They even might only abandon their southern reaches, and their territory in future might look something like this or even further north, but without abandoning west completley:

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(05-14-2024, 10:50 PM)T I N O Wrote: Plains camp males featured finally on WildEarth! 

They had their "debut" on WE back in 2021 as young nomads.
6 users Like Tr1x24's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(05-14-2024, 10:57 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(05-14-2024, 10:50 PM)T I N O Wrote: Plains camp males featured finally on WildEarth! 

They had their "debut" on WE back in 2021 as young nomads.

Yeah remember that, they were featured again and now in their prime. Times flies
5 users Like T I N O's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 05-15-2024, 12:23 AM by Mapokser )

Haven't they moved as far east as Chitwa and Djuma now? Yeah they wouldn't abandon it immediately, but chances are they probably will if they take over the Nkuhumas.

Their territory is already massive. They never had prides in Londolozi and would only go there to patrol the border.

Ximhungwe also have the disadvantage of being a small pride which often males are more willing to abandon.
2 users Like Mapokser's post