There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Other male lion coalitions from Masai Mara

Hungary Lipstick2 Offline

TBT - remembering Lipstick II, son of legendary 4'km male Lipstick from Rekero Breakaway Pride. 

He was a king of OMC in late 2010's along with his brother Blackie II and they were great rivals of Croton Island Males Olekiti & Olerai. He vanished without any trace around mid-2020 after the pandemic lockdown (near the same time when Rekero Male Dongo / Youngest Rekero also disappeared). What a shame for him, he was particularly impressive and still very young at around his 7.
5 users Like Lipstick2's post

Mwk85 Offline

Oloimina and Lorkulup with sub adult Olonkera between them. Oloshipa is a little ways behind them with one of the Rongai lionesses. Had some concerns on how Oloshipa would be towards Olonkera after he returned to the fold but things appear to have been going well between them thus far.

4 users Like Mwk85's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline
( This post was last modified: 04-15-2024, 02:52 PM by KM600 )

(04-15-2024, 10:59 AM)Mwk85 Wrote: Oloimina and Lorkulup with sub adult Olonkera between them. Oloshipa is a little ways behind them with one of the Rongai lionesses. Had some concerns on how Oloshipa would be towards Olonkera after he returned to the fold but things appear to have been going well between them thus far.

He always seems to be around Oloimina and Lorkulup, seems that he’s got more of a say in his own future with the pride now. Olobor very clearly wanted him out but Oloshipa seems to be more relaxed about the situation. Pretty sure he’s got 4/5 subadult brothers in the pride, seen 2 that look a lil bigger than the rest and can be ready to leave with Olonkera when the time is right. Very bright future ahead.
4 users Like KM600's post

BigLion39 Offline

(04-15-2024, 05:57 AM)Lipstick2 Wrote: He was a king of OMC in late 2010's along with his brother Blackie II and they were great rivals of Croton Island Males Olekiti & Olerai. He vanished without any trace around mid-2020 after the pandemic lockdown (near the same time when Rekero Male Dongo / Youngest Rekero also disappeared). What a shame for him, he was particularly impressive and still very young at around his 7.

I think Lipstick2, IMHO, was the most impressive lion out there and would have been had he didn't disappear. Still feel the pain years later of him vanishing straight out of thin air. I really wonder where are their sons disappeared to? 

Same with Blackie sons. After Lipstick passed, Blackie vacated Topi plains with their young sons into MNC, all never to be heard or seen again. Where their sons go?
3 users Like BigLion39's post

Mwk85 Offline

Oloshipa and Lorkulup showing their bond to one another. Oloimina was with them as well as they had been seen on patrol duties. Olonkera was said to be around also.

4 users Like Mwk85's post

United States T_Ferguson Offline

(04-17-2024, 04:50 AM)Mwk85 Wrote: Oloshipa and Lorkulup showing their bond to one another. Oloimina was with them as well as they had been seen on patrol duties. Olonkera was said to be around also.

It's wild to me that Olonkera seems to have somehow inherited the 4th male role in this coalition.  He's seen on patrol with them quite often now, and still does babysitting.  Olobor's death was awful on every single level except for Olonkera.
3 users Like T_Ferguson's post

BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

I wish this video provided more context, as I am unsure who these males are, or the lionesses for that matter. Where is the female's pride, do they have pride males, if so where are they. Regardless, it is an interesting video, showing two males slowly creep up on two sleeping females, and briefly giving chase once discovered. They then turn around and try to help the females hunt some buffalo.

3 users Like BA0701's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(04-17-2024, 08:45 PM)BA0701 Wrote: I wish this video provided more context, as I am unsure who these males are, or the lionesses for that matter. Where is the female's pride, do they have pride males, if so where are they. Regardless, it is an interesting video, showing two males slowly creep up on two sleeping females, and briefly giving chase once discovered. They then turn around and try to help the females hunt some buffalo.

The two young males are from the Salas pride, they're known as Olosika and Olonyore. Such information was provided by the owner of the video on the description, in case you missed it.

"Two sisters were chased by the two nomads olosika and olonyore. The two nomads are from the salas pride and have been kicked out by the resident males to go and look for their own pride to lead. The two lionesses are also nomads interestingly enough, so they might have a chance if they tried a different approach."

Filmed in Masai Mara via Tirason Maurice
1 user Likes T I N O's post

BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(04-17-2024, 08:52 PM)Timbavati Wrote:
(04-17-2024, 08:45 PM)BA0701 Wrote: I wish this video provided more context, as I am unsure who these males are, or the lionesses for that matter. Where is the female's pride, do they have pride males, if so where are they. Regardless, it is an interesting video, showing two males slowly creep up on two sleeping females, and briefly giving chase once discovered. They then turn around and try to help the females hunt some buffalo.

The two young males are from the Salas pride, they're known as Olosika and Olonyore. Such information was provided by the owner of the video on the description, in case you missed it.

"Two sisters were chased by the two nomads olosika and olonyore. The two nomads are from the salas pride and have been kicked out by the resident males to go and look for their own pride to lead. The two lionesses are also nomads interestingly enough, so they might have a chance if they tried a different approach."

Filmed in Masai Mara via Tirason Maurice

Thanks for that, I did indeed miss reading the description.
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Spain Javithelion Offline
New Join

gran leon39: me podrías decir el nombre de ese guía para seguirlo ?
1 user Likes Javithelion's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(04-18-2024, 11:04 AM)Javithelion Wrote: gran leon39: me podrías decir el nombre de ese guía para seguirlo ?

Which guide are you referring to?
2 users Like T I N O's post

Great to see

4 users Like KM600's post

United States T_Ferguson Offline

(04-18-2024, 08:22 PM)KM600 Wrote: Great to see

Wild that Olonkera has essentially become part of the coalition.  Obviously there are big issues here if he starts mating with his natal pride, but such an odd dynamic here.
2 users Like T_Ferguson's post

(04-19-2024, 12:06 AM)T_Ferguson Wrote:
(04-18-2024, 08:22 PM)KM600 Wrote: Great to see

Wild that Olonkera has essentially become part of the coalition.  Obviously there are big issues here if he starts mating with his natal pride, but such an odd dynamic here.

I can’t see it getting to that point, and do believe he’ll eventually get pushed out but this is one of the more surprising relationships I’ve seen so far. He’s constantly with one of them while they’re seemingly on patrol and from the videos I’ve seen, he actually leads like he’s a coalition member when the BRBs aren’t around.
2 users Like KM600's post

Spain Javithelion Offline
New Join

(04-18-2024, 05:48 PM)Timbavati Wrote: Javitelion a junior el guía que patrulla el exoffbeat