There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Othawa Pride

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Only way they intervene is if she starts breaking out of the park like the lioness in Balule who was relocated to northern Kruger with her cubs.
4 users Like Tonpa's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

They may also intervene if they suspect rabies or other serious dangerous pathogens. The pride was collared a few years back for that before. But even then, she won't get medical attention. If confirmed the whole pride would likely be culled. 

Other reasons may be if poisoning is suspected and the usual snares and such.
3 users Like Duco Ndona's post

RookiePundit Offline

Yeah, anything human caused, I guess we could never make a taxative list, some things might be freak accidents beyond out imagination, like Tsalala males being electrocuted. Most recent intervention (in Sabi Sands) iirc was Blondie Avoca checked due to suspected gunshot wound (false alarm, still sad it had to be seriously considered).

As for bloodlines, they don't matter per se, you could have a sanctuary or enclosure without functioning ecosystem and once in a while bring new lions everytime, but then there is something about one animal's life fulfilled with growing up, siring offspring/giving birth and finishing the circle with the young reaching adulthood/independence and reproducing themselves. This is an important milestone in captive breeding/conservation especially in case of species with longer lifespan and difficult husbandry, here in this case it is just a matter of that happening on its own and validating the ecosystem working well to an extent. Getting to know the particular specimen makes us want them to live a fulfilling life and succeed like that, although all of them can't at least some should for the population (and subsequently the whole system depending on the impact of the species) not becoming too volatile. One can hardly refrain from not getting attached a bit to particular group or an individual, but in the end that means nothing, one has to make room for another at times. I tend to approach (not just) lion dynamics of Sabi Sands/Kruger as a chronicle just being written in front of out eyes, with animals of lifespan shorter than our, following the continuation of them throuhg their progeny is unevitable, if only just to underline the perpetuality of the whole thing. Ending abruptly with dead end for some at times. But everything has its reasonbale levels, calling those animals royalty, king, queens, princes and taking sides or outright wishing harm on competition is silly to say the least, we want to see stories of succes, or rather succes in the sense of lives fulfilled, individuals too succesful especially over span of more generation would be rather bad, as the more genetic diversity of the population the better (sans detrimental genetic predispositions I guess, although those help in population control through natural selction after all though), although we would not mind some genetics becoming more widespread for selfish reasons at times (mainly the visually based ones and perhaps temperament/personality/demeanor as much as it is possibly influenced by genes rather than learned (which mostly is I guess).

But these days, every idiot is free to have an opinion and social media as a platform and sort of people like to virtue signal be going on silly holy wars (for the sake of feeling good, not actually reaching their goals) and sadly many organizations have to deal with those nonsenses for PR reasons, safari related ones surely not being an exception.
3 users Like RookiePundit's post

1ofCourage Offline

When I looked at Sassy in the last video of her she looked different like she was childlike. It was in her eyes.  The top of her neck took a beating in those attacks.  I'm wondering if the bloodflow to her brain was stopped for a time and she is not the same anymore.
If she did loose oxygen and she's impaired, she will never be the same again.
4 users Like 1ofCourage's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

(11-04-2022, 04:02 AM)1ofCourage Wrote: When I looked at Sassy in the last video of her she looked different like she was childlike. It was in her eyes.  The top of her neck took a beating in those attacks.  I'm wondering if the bloodflow to her brain was stopped for a time and she is not the same anymore.

I don't know about all that but yeah just a malnourished and injured lioness going through a tough time.
1 user Likes sik94's post

SalemMagi Offline
Lunar Leo
( This post was last modified: 11-04-2022, 04:03 PM by SalemMagi Edit Reason: typo )

(11-04-2022, 04:02 AM)1ofCourage Wrote: When I looked at Sassy in the last video of her she looked different like she was childlike. It was in her eyes.  The top of her neck took a beating in those attacks.  I'm wondering if the bloodflow to her brain was stopped for a time and she is not the same anymore.

Interesting.. i also tuned into the childlike vibe.. it brought me back to a memory of a video that was taken of her and OM a few years back where they were playing with one another and frolicking in the water as young sub-adults..

She definitely has a different look in her eye... what a haunting last visual of her..

i am trying to hold positive and healing thoughts for her but i have witnessed so many young lions depart in sabi sand...so i am also trying to prepare for what seems inevitable..

She is an incredible Lioness.. and i would love to see her heal and regenerate..

The union of Gingerella and the Ximhungwe lioness also feels like a karmic fate when one considers the warring history between the 2 prides.
5 users Like SalemMagi's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

On one end we have glorious tale of a young sub that along with her brother and sisters got orphaned as a result of the actions of the Othawa pride and now after a life of misery returned to reclaim her land with the help of the daughter of her biggest rival, the rivals former lover and a rough band of mercenary lions.

On the other we have the horror story of the tragic collapse of a family of lions as one by one they are being killed by rival groups.

It would make a great nature movie. But if it was one we would call it to contrived.
7 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

According to Diff its now a week since the last sighting of Sassy. Which is worrysome.
3 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Othawa subs found ex Talamati buffalo carcass :

9 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

Injured tail Talamati accompanies the Othowa Sub adults at the remnants of the  buffalo kill 

Credit:  Leo Bosch

Attached Files Image(s)

8 users Like criollo2mil's post

BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(11-06-2022, 08:30 AM)criollo2mil Wrote: Injured tail Talamati accompanies the Othowa Sub adults at the remnants of the  buffalo kill 

Credit:  Leo Bosch

Am I missing a lion here? Since @Tr1x24 posted images of the cubs on this kill I counted 2 lions, and now in the images you posted of the cubs being joined by a Talamati lioness I count a total of three, when I would expect there to be 4 in such a scenario.
2 users Like BA0701's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-06-2022, 10:14 PM by Tr1x24 )

(11-06-2022, 10:07 PM)BA0701 Wrote: Am I missing a lion here? Since @Tr1x24 posted images of the cubs on this kill I counted 2 lions, and now in the images you posted of the cubs being joined by a Talamati lioness I count a total of three, when I would expect there to be 4 in such a scenario.

Yea not sure. 

What i posted, it was said only 3 Othawa subs, didn't mentioned Talamati female whatsoever.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-06-2022, 10:41 PM by criollo2mil )

(11-06-2022, 10:13 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(11-06-2022, 10:07 PM)BA0701 Wrote: Am I missing a lion here? Since @Tr1x24 posted images of the cubs on this kill I counted 2 lions, and now in the images you posted of the cubs being joined by a Talamati lioness I count a total of three, when I would expect there to be 4 in such a scenario.

Yea not sure. 

What i posted, it was said only 3 Othawa subs, didn't mentioned Talamati female whatsoever.

@BA0701  My post has four total lions.   The picture you see three lions is of the OTHOWAS.  Then the camera pans to the left and you see the single Talamati female with the buffalo head.
4 users Like criollo2mil's post

BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

@Tr1x24 and @criollo2mil thank you both, now it makes much more sense. Pretty astonishing to see that Talamati lioness spending time with them like that. Those 3 babies impress more with each sighting, I was blown away when they had that interaction with those hyenas, they continue to find a way.
4 users Like BA0701's post

United States afortich Online
Contributor

(11-06-2022, 10:47 PM)BA0701 Wrote: @Tr1x24 and @criollo2mil thank you both, now it makes much more sense. Pretty astonishing to see that Talamati lioness spending time with them like that. Those 3 babies impress more with each sighting, I was blown away when they had that interaction with those hyenas, they continue to find a way.

@BA0701 at about second 55, you can see a clip of Talamati with the 3 cubs.

2 users Like afortich's post