There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Othawa Pride

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

Quite unfortunate. RIP Auntie 2008-2022. With Auntie and possibly the other older Othawa lioness gone, and Skorro Jr. Missing, its up to Sassy to raise all the cubs to independence. I believe she has to adopt a lifestyle like the Southern lioness, avoiding males whilst taking good care of the children. This way she can successfully raise the cubs to maturity. Sassy is in her prime and in great condition, but having 5 months to feed is a lot, if she can raise at least 1 female cub to sexual maturity, they can rebuild the pride.

P.s. i moved post from SS thread as I felt is was more appropriate to have this post here
10 users Like Mdz123's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-20-2022, 07:18 PM by Tr1x24 )

Last sighting of Aunty with the pride yesterday, after first conflict where Jr. mom and Skorro Jr went missing,  looks like another clash happened after this where Aunty was killed,  Sassy also has some scars on her face :

9 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Looks like Savanna confirmed that both old Othawa females are dead,  rip girls :

11 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

The current tumultuous lion dynamics lands another heavy blow.
After a long tracking session, another of the older adult lioness was found lifeless.
A huge blow, and an even bigger hand over of responsibility to the 7 year old Ottawa Adult. More tough times are coming and it will be super interesting to see how the lioness deals with it in the future.

*This image is copyright of its original author

7 users Like Potato's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-20-2022, 08:09 PM by Duco Ndona )

Quote:After a long tracking session, another of the older adult lioness was found lifeless.

Interesting they use the word another. Implying they found another one earlier.

Edit: Savanna is now reporting they found JRs Mom.

Nevermind messed up on my end.
8 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-20-2022, 08:20 PM by Duco Ndona )

Its interesting we are seeing this much violence suddenly towards the adult females. As if they are actively trying to exterminate the pride. 

I guess either the rival prides are involved. Or Nhenha and Nym have made a very botchered attempt at a takeover.

Saddly this means that if things continue with this much agression, Sassy is also in grave danger.
3 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Gavskrr Offline

Rip Tia and Junior's mother. It's a blow to everyone, it's very sad to see that promising pride has been reduced like this, I hope that despite the difficulties they manage to prosper. Gingerella would be a dose of hope for pride but she was forced to take another path.
8 users Like Gavskrr's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-20-2022, 08:39 PM by Tr1x24 )

(08-20-2022, 08:18 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Its interesting we are seeing this much violence suddenly towards the adult females. As if they are actively trying to exterminate the pride. 

I guess either the rival prides are involved. Or Nhenha and Nym have made a very botchered attempt at a takeover.

Saddly this means that if things continue with this much agression, Sassy is also in grave danger.

If pride females are trying to protect their cubs/subs and not submit, its nothing unusual that invading males will kill those females, thats how it is,  especially in this situation, where it looks like Nhenha/NK are dominant of whole western sector atm,  so there is no place for Othawas on their territory if they dont want to submit and accept them, in which case would mean death to cubs. 

I said this before, its like 3 Othawa females know their duties in these situations,  its like 2 old females know that Sassy is the future of their pride, and these 2 always engage and fight/distract while Sassy is responsible for "evacuation" of the cubs,  it happened in the past generation when they encountered OM and Mhangenis,  also with Tumbelas,  and now with this generation in multiple encounters with NK/Nhenha and prob PC males.

Its very interesting to observe these kind of dynamics and roles within a pride. 

Its sad,  but 2 old Othawas know what they need to do, even if they would lost their lifes, they are almost 15 and at the end of their lives, leaving Sassy safe and alive was the best option.

Its yet to be see what will Sassy do, she needs to go nomadic in my opinion, as NK/Nhenha will now pursue them if they stay here.
6 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States BorntobeWild Offline

(08-20-2022, 08:37 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(08-20-2022, 08:18 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Its interesting we are seeing this much violence suddenly towards the adult females. As if they are actively trying to exterminate the pride. 

If pride females are trying to protect their cubs/subs and not submit, its nothing unusual that invading males will kill those females, thats how it is,  especially in this situation, where it looks like Nhenha/NK are dominant of whole western sector atm,  so there is no place for Othawas on their territory if they dont want to submit and accept them, in which case would mean death to cubs. 

I said this before, its like 3 Othawa females know their duties in these situations,  its like 2 old females know that Sassy is the future of their pride, and these 2 always engage and fight/distract while Sassy is responsible for "evacuation" of the cubs,  it happened in the past generation when they encountered OM and Mhangenis,  also with Tumbelas,  and now with this generation in multiple encounters with NK/Nhenha and prob PC males.

Its very interesting to observe these kind of dynamics and roles within a pride. 

Its sad,  but 2 old Othawas know what they need to do, even if they would lost their lifes, they are almost 15 and at the end of their lives, leaving Sassy safe and alive was the best option.

Its yet to be see what will Sassy do, she needs to go nomadic in my opinion, as NK/Nhenha will now pursue them if they stay here.
Heartbreaking!! Very very very sad news!!
5 users Like BorntobeWild's post

Russian Federation Bellateda Offline
Banned
( This post was last modified: 08-20-2022, 09:07 PM by Bellateda )

Very sad. And the daddest thing is she alone will have to feed 5 large cubs. Plus protecting them...

They need to leave asap.

I think she needs to keep one female cub with her and leave others...
1 user Likes Bellateda's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-20-2022, 09:15 PM by Duco Ndona )

As you said, the Othawas done this plenty of times. Its odd that things go this wrong suddenly twice in a week time. 

I agree that the goal is more likely to evict an in their eyes troublesome pride than to preserve the lionesses for Mating. I guess with the arrival PCmales as Nym and Nhenha, Western sector just became to small for the various groups to coexist.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Bangladesh sundarbans Offline

Has Junior's mom been found dead as well? All the reports and links are of Auntie's demise. Can anyone give any links about JM's fate?
3 users Like sundarbans's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-20-2022, 10:03 PM by Tr1x24 )

(08-20-2022, 09:33 PM)sundarbans Wrote: Has Junior's mom been found dead as well? All the reports and links are of Auntie's demise. Can anyone give any links about JM's fate?

Not sure, i think not, but her missing since clash prob means she was killed, western sector is not that big and if native female is not seen, especially after clash, that doesnt mean good.

Looks like all lodges there think she is gone, not sure if they have evidence.
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Great photos of 2 Othawa females as cubs/subs in 2009:

Photo credits : Jeff Nowakowski

8 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States BorntobeWild Offline

(08-20-2022, 10:05 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Great photos of 2 Othawa females as cubs/subs in 2009:

Photo credits : Jeff Nowakowski

So were Auntie and Junior's mom the same litter?
2 users Like BorntobeWild's post