There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 12 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
ON THE EDGE OF EXTINCTION - A - THE TIGER (Panthera tigris)

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

@Wolverine :

About #1757: OK, in these cases... I take my hat off. I have not read Corbett, neither John Valiant (only Schaller who studied lions and tigers onto the ground).

I could have thought about "The jungle book"... After all the tiger Shere Khan was just obsessed by Mowgly. But is this a real story ?

I never said that social animals are more intelligent than the solitary ones. I think that the leopards are very successful in that area, bears are told to be the smartest carnivors on Earth and so on and they are solitary animals like the tiger. Perhaps the social life develops other faculties, but that's all.
2 users Like Spalea's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 08-30-2018, 10:02 PM by Pckts )

While I do believe Tigers show a bit more of quantifiable evidence of higher intelligence, I don't think that revenge or extermination of a competitor is one.
Tigers are known to kill off wolves, Lions are equally shown to kill off AWD's.
Neither species does well when a Lion or Tiger is present.

With regards to Hyena, a few things may play a role in that, Hyena tend to be less of a pack animal than the two Canid mentioned, while they can absolutely assemble into large groups and run off most carnivores outside of a Prime Male Lion, they also tend to be travelling in small groups or single individuals, they also present a far more dangerous foe than a AWD, Wolves are more comparable to Hyena than AWD but still only the largest sub species are with of comparable size to the Spotted Hyena. We'd also need to know pack size in the areas where Tigers cohabitate, I'd assume a large enough pack could surely cause strain for a Tigress and Cubs but like Hyena with Male Lions, they'd surely not want to mess with a Prime Male Tiger.
2 users Like Pckts's post

Canada Wolverine Away
( This post was last modified: 08-31-2018, 04:52 AM by Wolverine )

@Spalea , since we have a friendly conversation about behavior of  the two cats, that's what I think. Tiger is not "smarter" than lion in human sence, he is just more concentrated hunter, he has just a higher ability to concentrate on particular subject, in this case on one single particular prey, while lions are more easily dispersed and change their attention easily from one to other subject. Lets imagine a classroom with many students, one of the students always listen what the teacher is saying, while other student is more dispersed and often check his cell phone, chat with his friends. Does the first student is "smarter" than the second one? No, he is just more concentrated. If tiger decides to kill a particular big animal, for example a gaur, he will finally kill it, he will hunt the gaur for many days. He will withdraw for hours to drink a water, to smell a signs for females or intruders, but he always keep in "mind" that he is hunting that particular animal. Even if the tiger during this period of time sees many other prey animals like deer he probably will not turn his attention to them. Lions from other hand if they have opportunity will turn their attention to other prey animals. Lion hunts, tiger hunts down. This probably is a tiger's evolutionary adaption for living in habitat with dense vegetation, where the herbivores often hide and disappear among the trees, so the tigers have evolved a capability to "project" in their brain the hunted animal even the hunted animal is not in the front of their eyes. Lion inhabit open habitats where all animals are in the front of their eyes, so evolution didn't require from lions to develop such a ability to project the herbivore in brain for long period of time.

Completely agree with you that both cats are not even close in their intelligence to some other really inteligent species like canids, bears, dolphins, elephants and of course apes. If the civilization didnt evolved from apes it would probably evolved from bears or maybe dogs... Could you compare a domestic dog which is almost half-human with a domestic cat who is simply "stupid". We love tigers and lions not because they are smart but because they are powerful, majestic, royal, charismatic etc.
3 users Like Wolverine's post

United States paul cooper Offline
Banned

Um, i dont think that is how it works.. Well you worded it wrong in the very beginning, you mean tigers hold a "grudge" against another individual. This is true, lions dont do this. It takes intelligence to hold a grudge like that, all the smartest animals that we know can hold grudges, the animals you see when you look up "smartest animals in the world".
There is no way bears or dogs can evolve into humans.. lol. Its impossible. 

I really dont get the point of what you are trying to say.

Suhail Offline
( This post was last modified: 08-31-2018, 12:45 PM by Suhail )

@Wolverine 

Some cases of Animals taking revenge on humans.including A tiger tracking down a poacher who shot at it(as you mentioned in the post) in a very recent newsreport updated today!

*This image is copyright of its original author

link to the article:
https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&source...52V6w52vnR

Im not sure weather these incidents happened or not
3 users Like Suhail's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

@Wolverine:

About #1760: very interesting what you say about the "concentrated hunter" tiger's capacities. I have never heard or read such an interpretation like this one. I don't say I don't believe that, but it's disturbing. It reminds me a movie "Orca", not a good movie, but entertaining:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orca_(film)

Then, when I was student in paleontology, the first men were especially compared to the baboons: same biotop in Africa (savannah), in part meat diet, and same social structure when the pride was moving through the savannah, the strongest males surrounding the weakest, babies, youngs and females to the centre... But I'm straying from the point.

But, about tigers (our subject), if what you said is true, do you realize the leap forward as regard the animal evolution among the other animals ? To keep his concentration focused on an aim, here an act of vengeance, is an enormous asset. At last as important as the intelligence itself. That is why I find it disturbing.
2 users Like Spalea's post

India Vegeta San Offline
Banned

Wolverine Wrote: No, he is just more concentrated. If tiger decides to kill a particularbig animal, for example a gaur, he will finally kill it, he will hunt the gaur for many days. He will withdraw for hours to drink a water, to smell a signs for females or intruders, but he always keep in "mind" that he is hunting that particular animal.

So you telling that tiger takes many days to kill a adult gaur? 
No you're wrong at this. It doesn't take much time for a Tiger to kill a healthy adult gaur. The last post of "Peter" has shown few cases of Tiger killing adult bull wild buffalos instantly.

There are cases of Tiger killing adult rhinos in recent times. Where in one case a subadult male tiger and adult female rhino found dead after a prolonged fight.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.kaziranga-national-park.com/blog/royal-bengal-tiger-and-rhinoceros-found-dead-in-kaziranga/&ved=2ahUKEwjxw7252JbdAhWYXn0KHQNcBmMQFjABegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw0W9yDL_g-p5BTss0HRuYMx

What that means? It may take several hours to manage to kill a adult rhino in a fight but still succeed. 
A buffalo is not a formidable opponent than a adult rhino. 

And another I liked to say is. No gaur contain a weak neck circumstance. Gaur bulls in particular contain much thicker necks than females and subadults. Here are some pictures for example...

And....

Here's a image of odin in his old age. But still impressive neck... 

The important thing we have to notice is the thick skin hanging behind neck makes a curve at the neck part. While there's no hanging skin in cape buffalos.

Which makes it looks gaurs having thinner necks in some angles. Which means the hanging skin at neck circumstance is less as compared to that of the skin hanging in the middle of fore legs. And this is significant in young and prime bulls. 

But the muscle part of the neck is totally thick and formidable. Tigers kill both buffalos and gaurs through throat bites. It doesn't mean prey has weaker neck.
Gaurs evolved to be regular prey for tigers, why they tend to have thinner necks? As the predator always target throats....
1 user Likes Vegeta San's post

Israel Amnon242 Offline
Tiger Enthusiast

Why has tiger relatively larger brain than leopards or jaguars? 

Is tiger more intelligent than leopards or jaguars? 

Why?

Bigcat Enthusiast

(08-31-2018, 12:37 PM)Vegeta San Wrote:
Wolverine Wrote: No, he is just more concentrated. If tiger decides to kill a particularbig animal, for example a gaur, he will finally kill it, he will hunt the gaur for many days. He will withdraw for hours to drink a water, to smell a signs for females or intruders, but he always keep in "mind" that he is hunting that particular animal.

So you telling that tiger takes many days to kill a adult gaur? 
No you're wrong at this. It doesn't take much time for a Tiger to kill a healthy adult gaur. The last post of "Peter" has shown few cases of Tiger killing adult bull wild buffalos instantly.

There are cases of Tiger killing adult rhinos in recent times. Where in one case a subadult male tiger and adult female rhino found dead after a prolonged fight.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.kaziranga-national-park.com/blog/royal-bengal-tiger-and-rhinoceros-found-dead-in-kaziranga/&ved=2ahUKEwjxw7252JbdAhWYXn0KHQNcBmMQFjABegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw0W9yDL_g-p5BTss0HRuYMx

What that means? It may take several hours to manage to kill a adult rhino in a fight but still succeed. 
A buffalo is not a formidable opponent than a adult rhino. 

And another I liked to say is. No gaur contain a weak neck circumstance. Gaur bulls in particular contain much thicker necks than females and subadults. Here are some pictures for example...

And....

Here's a image of odin in his old age. But still impressive neck... 

The important thing we have to notice is the thick skin hanging behind neck makes a curve at the neck part. While there's no hanging skin in cape buffalos.

Which makes it looks gaurs having thinner necks in some angles. Which means the hanging skin at neck circumstance is less as compared to that of the skin hanging in the middle of fore legs. And this is significant in young and prime bulls. 

But the muscle part of the neck is totally thick and formidable. Tigers kill both buffalos and gaurs through throat bites. It doesn't mean prey has weaker neck.
Gaurs evolved to be regular prey for tigers, why they tend to have thinner necks? As the predator always target throats....

While I agree that Tigers can kill Gaur quickly, a large Bull is NOT being taken down quickly and especially not by a throat hold, at least not by anything other than an exceptional specimen and predation. Even the last photo you show is from a very old Bull named Odin, he fought the Tiger all night long and lived to tell the tale. 
Not sure where people get that Gaur have small necks either, you see them in person and their is nothing small about them, especially the Bulls.
Cape buffalo are more round and stocky than Gaur are, but overall Gaur are fairly larger and much more muscular obviously, I really want to see Wild Water Buffalo next, they look to be absolute monsters of a Bovine as well.
4 users Like Pckts's post

India Vegeta San Offline
Banned

Pckts Wrote:a large Bull is NOT being taken down quickly and especially not by a throat hold, at least not by anything other than an exceptional specimen and predation. Even the last photo you show is from a very old Bull named Odin, he fought the Tiger all night long and lived to tell the tale.

Yeah I just got this quote from famous book "wild cats of the world" by "Mel sunquist"!

https://books.google.co.in/books?id=IF8n...es&f=false

Gaur bulls are more immune to tiger predation (you guys know that). Maybe it takes a little more time in a face to face encounters, but in ambush tigers indeed kill them in a little time.

But it doesn't take days to kill a gaur! Tiger is not a house cat. That quote from @Wolverine is totally wrong! 

I didn't said a Gaur can't fought off a tiger. Odin just fought off a tiger didn't killed either. Yet there are cases of gaur killing tigers,bu b most of them are not adult males.
2 users Like Vegeta San's post

Canada Wolverine Away
( This post was last modified: 09-01-2018, 03:05 AM by Wolverine )

My statement that gaur has a thinner throat than wild buffaloes is not a fact, but an opinion. This opinion was originally not mine and is based on a comperative graphic-image gaur-cape buffalo posted in wildfact earlier, post No 45:
https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-all-abo...rus?page=3

@Pckts , if you don't mind, could you please re-post again this image here (No 45, thread "All about gaur"), since I have no computer skills to do this?? If you did this before probably you will be able to do this for the guys again. Without that comparative image is no sense to discus the topic anymore. 

We should not look how thick is the neck of the gaur, but how thin is the throat of gaur in its initial part, where it starts from the skull. If you see also other images of gaurs you can notice that its throat looks amazingly thin for such a gigantic and muscular body, such animal could be strangulated not only by tiger, but even probably by a cat with the size of jaguar. I don't insist on that but my opinion is that wild buffaloes - both cape and water buffaloes posess more robust throats and necks than gaur and it would be harder to be strangulated by tiger than  gaur. Also they are lower and would be harder for predator to snick beneath and get the throat.
1 user Likes Wolverine's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(09-01-2018, 02:07 AM)Wolverine Wrote: My statement that gaur has a thinner throat than wild buffaloes is not a fact, but an opinion. This opinion was originally not mine and is based on a comperative graphic-image gaur-cape buffalo posted in wildfact earlier, post No 45:
https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-all-abo...rus?page=3

@Pckts , if you don't mind, could you please re-post again this image here (No 45, thread "All about gaur"), since I have no computer skills to do this?? If you did this before probably you will be able to do this for the guys again. Without that comparative image is no sense to discus the topic anymore. 

We should not look how thin is the neck of the gaur, but how thin is the throat of gaur in its initial part, where it starts from the skull. If you see also other images of gaurs you can notice that its throat looks amazingly thin for such a gigantic and muscular body, such animal could be strangulated not only by tiger, but even probably by a cat with the size of jaguar. I don't insist on that but my opinion is that wild buffaloes - both cape and water buffaloes posess more robust throats and necks than gaur and it would be harder to be strangulated by tiger than  gaur. Also they are lower and would be harder for predator to snick beneath and get the throat.

No problem, I added it there along with my 2 cents.

Canada Wolverine Away

Thank you PC, so the comperative image gaur-cape buffalo is re-posted in thread "All about Gaur".
1 user Likes Wolverine's post

Canada Wolverine Away

Canada Wolverine Away