There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---
Our new member S Boultan needs community opinion on his project on animal conservation. Read his post and if possible help him by replying or sharing it to others who are qualified.

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Nkuhuma Pride

Poland NLAL11 Offline

5 Nkuhumas (including the young male) were on Quarantine Clearing this morning. Some shots from WildEarth.

*This image is copyright of its original author

6 users Like NLAL11's post

Brazil Fenix123 Offline

The nkuhuma Young Male was seen

Credits to gmitchley_wildlifephotography

4 users Like Fenix123's post

KM600 Offline

Atleast one Nkuhuma female has given birth, there’s only one cub shown here but guides and Deon especially assumes there’s more, this might be the litter from the lioness who hasn’t been spotted with the pride recently. Dates match up for PCMs to be the fathers. It will be interesting to see which lioness gave birth and which others are due anytime soon.

6 users Like KM600's post

Mwk85 Offline

(10-01-2024, 11:22 AM)KM600 Wrote: Atleast one Nkuhuma female has given birth, there’s only one cub shown here but guides and Deon especially assumes there’s more, this might be the litter from the lioness who hasn’t been spotted with the pride recently. Dates match up for PCMs to be the fathers. It will be interesting to see which lioness gave birth and which others are due anytime soon.

Will be interesting as well to see how this plays out. Returning to the rest of the pride is a risky gamble with the Southern Black Dam male around, as is the lioness potentially forming another Nkuhuma breakaway group (we saw how that worked out for Amber Eyes and Ridgenose) with other lionesses who may have cubs sired by the PC males.
2 users Like Mwk85's post

KM600 Offline

(10-01-2024, 01:20 PM)Mwk85 Wrote:
(10-01-2024, 11:22 AM)KM600 Wrote: Atleast one Nkuhuma female has given birth, there’s only one cub shown here but guides and Deon especially assumes there’s more, this might be the litter from the lioness who hasn’t been spotted with the pride recently. Dates match up for PCMs to be the fathers. It will be interesting to see which lioness gave birth and which others are due anytime soon.

Will be interesting as well to see how this plays out. Returning to the rest of the pride is a risky gamble with the Southern Black Dam male around, as is the lioness potentially forming another Nkuhuma breakaway group (we saw how that worked out for Amber Eyes and Ridgenose) with other lionesses who may have cubs sired by the PC males.

I agree, I actually feel a lot for the BDM as he’s been getting better but if he loses the pride, it doesn’t look good for him. I actually think with his current behaviour, he’d end up accepting the cub(s) but I’m not sure the lionesses will take that chance and PCMs certainly won’t. Its a shame Mohawk went back into KNP for the time being, well for the BDM anyways, that’s actually great news for the Nkuhumas because if he didn’t believe that was his cub, he for sure would kill it.

At the very least, maybe the BDM can form a breakaway with the youngsters of the pride, and especially the young male.
3 users Like KM600's post

Mwk85 Offline
( This post was last modified: 10-02-2024, 01:36 AM by Mwk85 Edit Reason: Corrected spelling error )

Cub is still out in the open and I read an unconfirmed report of the mother potentially being seen growling at the cub. Hope that isn't the case and its moved to a den site. First time mom so time will tell if it makes it.

3 users Like Mwk85's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(10-02-2024, 01:35 AM)Mwk85 Wrote: Cub is still out in the open and I read an unconfirmed report of the mother potentially being seen growling at the cub. Hope that isn't the case and its moved to a den site. First time mom so time will tell if it makes it.

There is something going on with that cub, don't know what it is, but it is struggling to simply stay standing.
4 users Like BA0701's post

United States GhostCatP-22 Offline

(10-02-2024, 07:29 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(10-02-2024, 01:35 AM)Mwk85 Wrote: Cub is still out in the open and I read an unconfirmed report of the mother potentially being seen growling at the cub. Hope that isn't the case and its moved to a den site. First time mom so time will tell if it makes it.

There is something going on with that cub, don't know what it is, but it is struggling to simply stay standing.

It’s a baby and could be very tired or hungry. The mom was probably startled and scared by the birth (it’s painful and stressful) and maybe mom doesn’t like the feel of the cub nursing? Happenes in alot of animals that a first time mom gets terrified of the blood and pain of birth and abandons the baby…the mom associates the cub with pain. 
I hope it doesnt have a neurological condition. 
I hope the cub has been following mom and those tiny muscles are tired.
2 users Like GhostCatP-22's post

Mwk85 Offline

Nkuhuma cub is still alive and apparently its been introduced to the pride which is odd given its age, but the mother is a first time mom so, yeah. Most curious thing is that the Southern Black Dam male was literally right next to it. Don't know if he thinks it's his or if he's showing a side to some male lions that's not often seen.

2 users Like Mwk85's post

United States GhostCatP-22 Offline

(10-04-2024, 01:03 PM)Mwk85 Wrote: Nkuhuma cub is still alive and apparently its been introduced to the pride which is odd given its age, but the mother is a first time mom so, yeah. Most curious thing is that the Southern Black Dam male was literally right next to it. Don't know if he thinks it's his or if he's showing a side to some male lions that's not often seen.

Very good news! Hopefully mom is content being Back with her sisters and will be relaxed enough to have the cub nurse. 
Has BD make or his brother ever mated with her in the past?
Hopefully the cub can make it.
Thank you for the update
3 users Like GhostCatP-22's post

KM600 Offline

(10-04-2024, 01:03 PM)Mwk85 Wrote: Nkuhuma cub is still alive and apparently its been introduced to the pride which is odd given its age, but the mother is a first time mom so, yeah. Most curious thing is that the Southern Black Dam male was literally right next to it. Don't know if he thinks it's his or if he's showing a side to some male lions that's not often seen.

Sabi Sands desperately needs some coalition to come and challenge both PCMs and push them back West. Nkuhuma Pride are never going to raise litters in this type of environment, I mean both PCMs haven’t even met their cub, but the BDM is there chilling with it.. they’re too unreliable as pride males.
5 users Like KM600's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

Absolutely terrifying video, for the little baby, who can still barely stand still, whew!
2 users Like BA0701's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(10-04-2024, 03:40 PM)KM600 Wrote: I mean both PCMs haven’t even met their cub, but the BDM is there chilling with it.. they’re too unreliable as pride males.

I dont think PCMs can be called pride males of Nkuhumas, they only mated with them and thats basically it.

Unfortunately this cub (cubs) have very slim chances to survive in unstable area/pride atm.
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

KM600 Offline

(10-04-2024, 10:24 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(10-04-2024, 03:40 PM)KM600 Wrote: I mean both PCMs haven’t even met their cub, but the BDM is there chilling with it.. they’re too unreliable as pride males.

I dont think PCMs can be called pride males of Nkuhumas, they only mated with them and thats basically it.

Unfortunately this cub (cubs) have very slim chances to survive in unstable area/pride atm.

I don’t see them as pride males either, was just how I was referring to their efforts of trying to claim the Nkuhumas, the only prides they fully control at the moment are Ximhungwes and potentially Tsalala Pride, depending on if they keep checking up on that pride anyways.
2 users Like KM600's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

Reports from this morning are, the Nkuhuma cub passed away. It stood very little chance and it was very distressing watching his struggle.
2 users Like criollo2mil's post