There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nkhulu males

Ngonya Online

Smudge Nkhulu in Kruger, a couple of days ago.
He is looking physically fine, hoping to see him recover his magnifcent mane.

For the past few days / last week i didn't really try and keep up with Kruger sightings on IG. 
Anyways its getting harder to find recent footage on the boys. According to a guide from Rhino Walking Safaris, he has only been seeing Snip Tail (#2) in the company of the Sand River Pride.
1 user Likes Ngonya's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(06-07-2024, 10:33 PM)Ngonya Wrote: Smudge Nkhulu in Kruger, a couple of days ago.
He is looking physically fine, hoping to see him recover his magnifcent mane.

For the past few days / last week i didn't really try and keep up with Kruger sightings on IG. 
Anyways its getting harder to find recent footage on the boys. According to a guide from Rhino Walking Safaris, he has only been seeing Snip Tail (#2) in the company of the Sand River Pride.

With the exception of Snip Tail is it thought that they've all gone into some hidden corner of Kruger?
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Ngonya Online

(06-08-2024, 01:21 AM)BA0701 Wrote: With the exception of Snip Tail is it thought that they've all gone into some hidden corner of Kruger?
I don't know what do you mean but i suppose with poor amount of sightings? If so, yes thats likely the matter here.

Southern Sabi Sand and the Skukuza / Kruger area is pretty mediocre on keeping updates on the lions there, most of the footage we have of them can be attributed to tourists.
1 user Likes Ngonya's post

Ngonya Online

Snip Tail Nkhulu surrounded by vehicles near Tshokwane, in Skukuza road. Back in May 3rd by by Charisse le Roux

2 users Like Ngonya's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(06-08-2024, 02:56 AM)Ngonya Wrote:
(06-08-2024, 01:21 AM)BA0701 Wrote: With the exception of Snip Tail is it thought that they've all gone into some hidden corner of Kruger?
I don't know what do you mean but i suppose with poor amount of sightings? If so, yes thats likely the matter here.

Southern Sabi Sand and the Skukuza / Kruger area is pretty mediocre on keeping updates on the lions there, most of the footage we have of them can be attributed to tourists.

Yeah, there was supposed to be a comma after Snip Tail, in that post. Yeah, you nailed it, I was wondering why they aren't seen, and you answered it perfectly. Thank you!
1 user Likes BA0701's post

Ngonya Online

6th Nkhulu male in Kruger by @tipsythrifters

*This image is copyright of its original author

as usually he's looking just fine, but unfortunately on his own
5 users Like Ngonya's post

Ngonya Online

The two older Nkhulu brothers last week in Kirkman's Kamp, by @liamkellyi
Snip Tail

Smudge

adamstocks16 Offline

I think it’s fair to say Dreadlocks is gone now right? Anyway, he deserves a lot of respect for what he achieved. From mostly unknown origins he formed the De Laporte coalition along with three other unrelated males (Hilda’s Rock Male, Talamati Male and last surviving Tsalala Male) which was one of the most interesting coalitions to follow at the time. After that he somehow was able to link up with the young Nkhulu Males, effectively becoming their leader and guiding them on their path to dominance. Even as an ageing male he recovered after a beating from one of the toughest duos around, the Southern Avocas.
5 users Like adamstocks16's post

Ngonya Online

Indeed great feats of resilience of this impressive male lion. 
Sad that he disappeared in Kruger without leaving a trace behind. 
He mated with some females early on their take over so maybe some cubs could have been sired by him.

Romania Cath2020 Offline
( This post was last modified: 06-09-2024, 09:47 PM by Cath2020 )

That's what I was thinking, too.  Dreadlocks had a tough life, yet he was able to overcome obstacles in his way, forming 2 strong coalitions, and possibly leaving offspring behind as he was mating more than the others in the first month or two after the takeover.  I think he had bad luck with the Delaporte Coalition because of HWC, as I believe 2/4 were killed during the lockdown months when many males suddenly disappeared.  And the remaining male, besides Dreadlocks, was very lame and had TB or something.  After the disappearance of the Hilda Rock and Tsalala Males, the coalition was no longer viable.   So, it wasn't his fault that he couldn't keep with a coalition until he was able to take care of any cubs and hold a pride for years..... He tried his whole prime adult life.  

The strong 3/4 unrelated males were so unlucky as they could have, no doubt, thrived if they had taken over the Skukuza area and had multiple prides under them.  Fate can be cruel.   I sure will miss seeing the last of the Delaporte Males, Dreadlocks!
4 users Like Cath2020's post

Ngonya Online

(06-09-2024, 09:45 PM)Cath2020 Wrote: The strong 3/4 unrelated males were so unlucky as they could have, no doubt, thrived if they had taken over the Skukuza area and had multiple prides under them.  Fate can be cruel.   I sure will miss seeing the last of the Delaporte Males, Dreadlocks!
Indeed a shame what happened to them. Many lions went missing during the unfortunate days of lockdown.
I've always wondered if a coalition made up of mostly unrelated males that joined during nomadic life could be as formidable and united like the normal brothers/cousins from the same pride coalition...
I honestly think the DeLaporte males were developing a real close bond together and becoming more of a unit day by day.

I guess the Ndzhengas could be taken as an example of how strong the bond with a unrelated male can be. Since Ubuso was unrelated but was as close as a brother. Not only having a great bond with the others but also good to mention when the Ndzhengas came for the rescue of their unrelated partner when the Gijimas got hold of him.
4 users Like Ngonya's post

adamstocks16 Offline

Many lions also sadly went missing in the Mara during lockdown period aswell. Admittedly, this was also due to the lack of updates but I’m sure HWC played a role in some of those too. You are both correct though, the timing was just not right for them to properly establish themselves as a fully dominant coalition. Anyway, just thought it deserved calling out that as a lion they can still leave an impact and a legacy of sorts even with lion enthusiasts such as ourselves, if not in the form of actual offspring to carry on their genes.
3 users Like adamstocks16's post

Go131810 Offline

(06-10-2024, 12:50 AM)Go131810 Wrote:
(06-09-2024, 10:12 PM)Ngonya Wrote:
(06-09-2024, 09:45 PM)Cath2020 Wrote: The strong 3/4 unrelated males were so unlucky as they could have, no doubt, thrived if they had taken over the Skukuza area and had multiple prides under them.  Fate can be cruel.   I sure will miss seeing the last of the Delaporte Males, Dreadlocks!
Indeed a shame what happened to them. Many lions went missing during the unfortunate days of lockdown.
I've always wondered if a coalition made up of mostly unrelated males that joined during nomadic life could be as formidable and united like the normal brothers/cousins from the same pride coalition...
I honestly think the DeLaporte males were developing a real close bond together and becoming more of a unit day by day.

I guess the Ndzhengas could be taken as an example of how strong the bond with an  unrelated male can be. Since Ubuso was unrelated but was as close as a brother. Not only having a great bond with the others but also good to mention when the Ndzhengas came for the rescue of their unrelated partner when the Gijimas got hold of him.

RookiePundit Offline

Now you got me wondering what HWC stands for? (google says Health and Wellness Centers which I am not sure is the right meaning - but can see how it is, chinese medicine uses everything)
1 user Likes RookiePundit's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Its short for Human Wildlife Conflicts
2 users Like Duco Ndona's post