There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nkhulu males

Brazil Ngonya Offline

Nkhulu male #4 in Skukuza Kruger National Park

*This image is copyright of its original author

By Luke William Hobson 
6 users Like Ngonya's post

Brazil Ngonya Offline
( This post was last modified: 02-08-2024, 09:37 AM by Ngonya )

Nkhulu males #1/Smudge and #5 in KNP 

Tinged by CdB

Tinged by Johan

Tinged by Delfi Estrugamou

Tinged by karolinanoreewild

Tinged by MuhammedCasoojee
5 users Like Ngonya's post

Brazil Ngonya Offline
( This post was last modified: 02-05-2024, 09:58 PM by Ngonya )

5th Nkhulu male crosses the infamous wooden bridge over the Sabie River at Lion Sands

6 users Like Ngonya's post

Brazil Ngonya Offline
( This post was last modified: 03-04-2024, 08:31 PM by Ngonya )

Nkhulu #3 and #1 (Smudge) on the back 
4 users Like Ngonya's post

Brazil Ngonya Offline

Throwback 2023
3/7 Nkhulu males on a territorial patrol. Strolling through their territory in Kruger National Park. 
#4 - #3 - #5

By Kathleen Swoboda, 2023

Philippines Redroadmale Offline

Did dreadlocks and #6 split from the rest?

criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

"Some say male lions don't hunt, but here is a great example that debunks that myth. They do hunt and are as capable as females in bringing down large prey - their brute strength is often needed when going after animals like buffalo and giraffe.⁠
On this morning, we watched as one of the Nkuhlu Males stalked a kudu, and even though he was not successful, watching a big male lion in full stalk mode was something to remember. ⁠

? Lion Sands part of @morefamilycollection ⁠"

5 users Like criollo2mil's post

Brazil Ngonya Offline

(02-08-2024, 03:38 PM)Redroadmale Wrote: Did dreadlocks and #6 split from the rest?
Not sure but its a possibility.
Dreadlock was not in the company of any of the brothers last January, at least no photo/video indicates that. I saw a recent video of him posted today on an Instagram stories, he was alone. 
Male #6 hasn't been seen since the beginning of January (when he was with Dreadlock) and hasn't been seen with the rest of the coalition for a while, so i have my doubts and concerns.

Also ranger in Kirkman's Kamp claimed in early january that they've seen only 5 males together in Sabi Sand for quite some time. This males obviously 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5
1 user Likes Ngonya's post

Brazil Ngonya Offline

"One of the Nkhulu male lions keeps a close watch on his coalition brothers' movements. With the summer rain leaving its mark, he's on grooming duty to shake off the remnants."
5th Nkhulu

andBeyond guide: Jade van Heerden

Brazil Ngonya Offline
( This post was last modified: 02-17-2024, 03:22 AM by Ngonya )

(02-05-2024, 02:59 AM)Ngonya Wrote: Nkhulu males #1/Smudge and #5 in KNP
Again, Nkhulu male #1/Smudge and #5 in KNP, Skukuza
The author claims one of them looked very ill (5th)

By Colleen Harris
2 users Like Ngonya's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 02-10-2024, 09:06 PM by Tr1x24 )

(02-10-2024, 07:31 PM)Ngonya Wrote: Again, Nkhulu male #1/Smudge and #5 in KNP, Skukuza
The author claims one of them looked very ill (5th)

This is such a shame for Nkhulu coalition, only few months ago, after they ousted S.Avocas, we where discussing of them taking larger territory soon, but now, with only 2 healthly members, their future doesnt look bright..

Only explanation i think is that they must have all eaten infected carcass in their nomadic phase (same what happened to Tumbela/Nharu males imo).

First it was only male #6 showing signs, then male #5, and now most recently both #3 and #4. Even Dreadlocks has it.

And its not "lack of food", all those males have limping problems aswell, their limping leg looks bad.

Unfortunatley, its that skinny body/limping disease (is it TB, "black spot" or some other bacteria infection, we dont know) which took many famous lions like Sizanani, Hip Scar, Nsuku, Blondie Avoca, Buddy, Tumbelas, Lambile, WideNose etc..

Only question is how long these guys can live with that, some lions did reach old age with it.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Ttimemarti Offline

It’s very odd I’ll have to find the video of the 6 of them marching into mala mala when they first arrived they all looked healthy then before the 6th brother joined them so I think they ate something bad I saw a post the other day about a 2 day old giraffe they ate

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 02-10-2024, 09:21 PM by Tr1x24 )

(02-10-2024, 09:09 PM)Ttimemarti Wrote: It’s very odd I’ll have to find the video of the 6 of them marching into mala mala when they first arrived they all looked healthy then before the 6th brother joined them so I think they ate something bad I saw a post the other day about a 2 day old giraffe they ate

Yea, they looked massive and strong just half - 1 year ago..

Brazil Ngonya Offline

(02-10-2024, 09:03 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Only explanation i think is that they must have all eaten infected carcass in their nomadic phase (same what happened to Tumbela/Nharu males imo).
I assume that Tumbela/Nharus could've eaten a infected carcass when they were all together along with Lambile. Because it would be a big coincidence for the three sons of Sizanani turn out to be sick like their father because they fed on infected Buffalo at different occasions, so i believe it was when they were still together.

(02-10-2024, 09:03 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: First it was only male #6 showing signs, then male #5, and now most recently both #3 and #4. Even Dreadlocks has it.
Yea, real shame. Male #6 and #5 were always a little bit skinny but the others just started showinh this signs of being unhealthy at late 2023. Since then we barely see any male 100%. 
Smudge and Snip Tail dont look like massive lions but they still look alot healthier than their younger brothers and older comrade. 

(02-10-2024, 09:03 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: And its not "lack of food", all those males have limping problems aswell, their limping leg looks bad.
I had faith it could be just some unluck on huntings, but thats not a thing anymore.
Ita been a lot of time and they are constantly skinny and at least 3 males sometimes limping and looking really unhealthy. 
(02-10-2024, 09:03 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: "black spot"
Nkhulu #4 and #6 confirmed to have smudges on their hips. Could it be the so called "black spot"? 

(02-10-2024, 09:03 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Only question is how long these guys can live with that, some lions did reach old age with it.
I guess they can live for alot of time as unhealthy males if they stick together as a group of five at least. As previously mentioned, Dreadlock havent been seen with them for a while now.
I honestly dont think they are in the position to try and expand their territory, at least for now. Really unfortunate.
1 user Likes Ngonya's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

I think its pretty obvious that Dreadlocks and Nr 6 are atleast in the process of splitting off. Which is normal for big coalitions like these and probably their best option right now.

This illness is concerning. It is offcource still very much possible its just a case of sicking it out for a few days and the lions will be back to full health in a few days. If it is something more serious, this coalition may suffer the same fate as the Tumbellas did. 
Even though it probably will spare the rest of the reserve from the Nkhulu blitzkrieg we were worried about a year ago. Having a contagious disease going around isnt good either. 

I disagree though that food isnt going to be a factor in this. In a coalition of this size, its unlikely they will catch enough kills for every lion to receive the energy it needs to fight this illness off. The weaker lions will likely detoriate even faster while the stronger lions will make a full recovery. If this group was smaller, I think the pregression of it would be slown down or even halted in its entirety.