There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nkhulu males

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Nkhulus are the main suspects.

It was probably either them or the Leeubrons.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

United States T_Ferguson Offline

I think the issue with believing the Nkhulu's ended the bigger Southern Avoca is more the location of the last sighting of both Southern Avocas.  They were said to have been near Hamilton's Camp in Kruger at that point.  Far from the very visible Nkhulu's.   It was then a couple of weeks before the smaller Southern Avoca was seen keeping to himself back in Sabi Sands with injuries.  I think it was said back when that the likely culprits were a Kruger coalition, as the still with us S. Avoca had battle scars that were consistent with likely being in the same fight, and at no time did the Nkhulul's have that type of damage.  It's highly improbable the Nkhulu's could have fought both S. Avoca's and shown no signs of it.
1 user Likes T_Ferguson's post

Brazil Ngonya Offline

(01-20-2024, 01:52 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: This speculation is running on the assumption that the Nkhulus were not ready for a take over, so they could not have been involved in a fight that resulted in one. 
But they were still lions that at the time were already killing other lions if given the opportunity. Meanwhile, the southern avocas also werent shy of a fight as they beat up dreadlocks. 

So its not like everything was peacefull around that time with both groups cowering away for the other. 

I think that if this situation continued, it would have been a matter of time before one of the male lions involved died even without a takeover attempt. All it would take is one lion of one coalition being caught by a multiple of lions of the other. The Avocas would have a clear disadvantage as the Nkhulus are a much larger coalition.

The only reason why the Nkhulus involvement is doubted is becouse no serious battle scars were ever recorded on any of them and the Avocas were already in the process of abandoning their pride. But as they are clearly capable and willing to fight, they are strong suspects nonetheless
Well said. Fully agree

Brazil Ngonya Offline

(01-20-2024, 10:44 PM)Mapokser Wrote: It was probably either them or the Leeubrons
I also think Leeubrons are suspects. But only bc of location and scars on their faces.
(01-20-2024, 10:46 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: It's highly improbable the Nkhulu's could have fought both S. Avoca's and shown no signs of it.
Again, agree. 
I think the only thing that indicates the Nkhulu as 'not-guilty' for the death of S.Avoca is the fact they have never show signs of fighting.
1 user Likes Ngonya's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

There were 6 Nkhulus. They could very well kill the Avoca without without sustaining any visible injuries.

If we had not seen the Avocas licking their paws, we'd have thought they got no injuries from almost killing Delaporte.

United States T_Ferguson Offline

(01-21-2024, 12:35 AM)Mapokser Wrote: There were 6 Nkhulus. They could very well kill the Avoca without without sustaining any visible injuries.

If we had not seen the Avocas licking their paws, we'd have thought they got no injuries from almost killing Delaporte.

I would not disagree with you and this is all pretty much hypothetical discussions, but the only time the Nkhulu's were in a situation to kill another lion was a sub-adult or lioness all by herself.  The only time we know of them encountering adult male lions is when they ran and left Dreadlocks to fend for himself.

Either way, I think all of the evidence together paints a pretty strong case that the most likely cause of the dead S. Avoca is a coalition in Kruger, or a hunt gone wrong.

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Theu have just chased the Gijimas off.

Ttimemarti Offline

(01-21-2024, 01:39 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Theu have just chased the Gijimas off.

It was reported that allegedly the gijimas chased them back as well so

Brazil Ngonya Offline
( This post was last modified: 01-21-2024, 02:40 AM by Ngonya )

(01-21-2024, 02:27 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: It was reported that allegedly the gijimas chased them back as well so
Tbh it wouldnt surprise me if Gijimas did chase Nkhulu back. 
Smudge (older Nkhulu) barely chased the Gijimas in the video. It looked like only Snip Tail was in full charge.
If the Gijima brothers just turned around and chased Snip Tail while he was a little isolated ahead, maybe that could trigger the other brothers who were running right behind to flee too. Thats just my opinion ofc, i dont know if thats how things turned out to be.
I'll try to ask the guide who recorded the video, just to be sure.

Brazil Ngonya Offline

Nkhulu male Snip Tail in Sabi Sand
4 users Like Ngonya's post

Brazil Ngonya Offline

Nkhulu #3

andbeyondtengile:
"With a watchful eye on their surroundings, one of the seven Nkhulu males showcases the incredible teamwork within the coalition as he strides through their now-claimed territory.
Male lions play a crucial role in protecting their pride and maintaining territorial dominance. Their impressive manes aren't just for show; they signal maturity and strength, intimidating potential rivals and attracting lionesses."

*This image is copyright of its original author

By Shaun Cooke
6 users Like Ngonya's post

Brazil Ngonya Offline
( This post was last modified: 01-24-2024, 01:31 AM by Ngonya )

Nkhulu male Smudge in KNP
6 users Like Ngonya's post

Brazil Ngonya Offline
( This post was last modified: 01-25-2024, 02:35 AM by Ngonya )

A great sight around Tinga.
Nkhulu males #5 and then #4 walking by oupawaitance vehicle.
Nkhulu #4's leg is still looking bad, but his condition is looking better than in previous sights at KNP
4 users Like Ngonya's post

Brazil Ngonya Offline

apparently, 4 of the 6 brothers were seen in Lion Sands this morning. 

Cant really upload the videos here as it was just a Stories, but in a other sight posted today, now in KNP, one of the 4 brothers that weere in Lion Sands, now in KNP:
Nkhulu #3 in Kruger
1 user Likes Ngonya's post

Brazil Ngonya Offline
( This post was last modified: 01-25-2024, 10:32 PM by Ngonya )

6:00am
3 Nkhulu brothers on the move
H11, 500m east of lake panic - Near Skukuza
(#5 - #4 - #3)

Tinged by Nhlamulo

7:20am 
"Very old male"
H4-1, at H1-2 junction - Near Skukuza 
(Dreadlock DeLaporte/Nkhulu)

Tinged by Corallynn