There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nkhulu males

Ttimemarti Offline

(01-13-2024, 01:08 AM)Mapokser Wrote: According to a Kirkman's guide, they have only been seen 5 males for a while now, and they think the 2 oldest are the ones they don't see.

I don't think they can tell which is the oldest Nkhulu but it is clear Delaporte is 1/2 they haven't seen for a long time now.

It's possible that DeLaporte and #6, possibly the weakest of the 7, are undergoing a split in the coalition, spending more time further east, while the 5 stronger males spend their time in SS and the Kruger border.

It might be better for both parties, Delaporte and #6 can enjoy less competition while the other 5 have morr manageable numbers since they were also struggling with their condition, and of course, being 5 males they'll still be easily the strongest coalition in the area, being only possibly rivaled by Kambulas who are way up north so it's unlikely they'll ever meet.

#6 is one of the older 5 Nkhulus 3 younger brothers he joined them at some point I can’t remember but they should have two more younger brothers I have no idea if they are alive or still with the pride but in total it was 8 of them 5 older 3 younger then dreadlocks but the other 2 younger brothers didn’t join them for some reason

Ngonya Offline

(01-13-2024, 02:24 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: total it was 8 of them 5 older 3 younger then dreadlocks but the other 2 younger brothers didn’t join them for some reason
I think this is a misunderstanding. Nkhulu are 6 brothers and only Dreadlock is unrelated male with them.
It has been like this since they first came in Sabi Sand back in December 2022. 

There were pictures that made people say it was nine males in total, but if i remember correctly there were some females with them initially.

Ttimemarti Offline

(01-13-2024, 03:12 AM)Ngonya Wrote:
(01-13-2024, 02:24 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: total it was 8 of them 5 older 3 younger then dreadlocks but the other 2 younger brothers didn’t join them for some reason
I think this is a misunderstanding. Nkhulu are 6 brothers and only Dreadlock is unrelated male with them.
It has been like this since they first came in Sabi Sand back in December 2022. 

There were pictures that made people say it was nine males in total, but if i remember correctly there were some females with them initially.
Oh really? I was just told it was 8 males 5 older 3 younger i mean when they first arrived in sabi sands in that amazing mala mala video #6 was not with them he was still with the pride… any news on the pride?

Ngonya Offline

Nkhulu males #2, #3 and #5 in KNP

*This image is copyright of its original author

By Muhammed Peer

5th

By Olega Anderson

By Yulia Schukina
7 users Like Ngonya's post

Ngonya Offline

Dreadlock DeLaporte / Nkhulu
His leg is looking a little bit thin 
6 users Like Ngonya's post

Poland Potato Online
Contributor

3 users Like Potato's post

Ngonya Offline

Ngonya Offline

Smudge Nkhulu by Big on Wild
7 users Like Ngonya's post

Ngonya Offline

Nkhulu male #4
"The male lion was a few mins away from Skukuza"

By Fanele Nobuhle Dube
6 users Like Ngonya's post

Ttimemarti Offline

So from the way these boys are acting I don’t believe they are responsible for the bigger southern avoca going missing
1 user Likes Ttimemarti's post

Ngonya Offline

(01-20-2024, 04:45 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: So from the way these boys are acting I don’t believe they are responsible for the bigger southern avoca going missing
They are probably not the responsibles, but i dont see how "the way these boys are acting" indicate that they didn't kill Southern Avoca? What are you on about exactly

anyways that doesn't matter. From the MalaMala reports from December it looks like they have already taken over most of the Sand River pride, or at least the lionesses accepted them. 
Whatever the reason for the disappearance of the bigger Southern Avoca, now the Nkhulu have taken over their former territory.
2 users Like Ngonya's post

Ttimemarti Offline

(01-20-2024, 04:50 AM)Ngonya Wrote:
(01-20-2024, 04:45 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: So from the way these boys are acting I don’t believe they are responsible for the bigger southern avoca going missing
They are probably not the responsibles, but i dont see how "the way these boys are acting" indicate that they didn't kill Southern Avoca? What are you on about exactly

anyways that doesn't matter. From the MalaMala reports from December it looks like they have already taken over most of the Sand River pride, or at least the lionesses accepted them. 
Whatever the reason for the disappearance of the bigger Southern Avoca, now the Nkhulu have taken over their former territory.

The bigger southern avoca went missing at the end of August I believe so if they did kill him I think they’d have much more confidence to look for the prides the southern avocas controlled and I don’t think that’s what they where doing until they realized no dominate males are in that area anymore… maybe

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

This speculation is running on the assumption that the Nkhulus were not ready for a take over, so they could not have been involved in a fight that resulted in one. 
But they were still lions that at the time were already killing other lions if given the opportunity. Meanwhile, the southern avocas also werent shy of a fight as they beat up dreadlocks. 
So its not like everything was peacefull around that time with both groups cowering away for the other. 

I think that if this situation continued, it would have been a matter of time before one of the male lions involved died even without a takeover attempt. All it would take is one lion of one coalition being caught by a multiple of lions of the other. The Avocas would have a clear disadvantage as the Nkhulus are a much larger coalition.

The only reason why the Nkhulus involvement is doubted is becouse no serious battle scars were ever recorded on any of them and the Avocas were already in the process of abandoning their pride. But as they are clearly capable and willing to fight, they are strong suspects nonetheless.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Ttimemarti Offline

It just doesn’t make sense they kill this male but don’t wanna fight other males and any male will kill cubs and subadults and females but the timeframe just doesn’t add up

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Even if you dont go out looking for a fight, it doesnt mean fights cant find you.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post