There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Nepal tigers

Ashutosh Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-22-2021, 02:14 AM by Ashutosh )

Look at the size of this Bardia family:

Another Bardia tiger:

2 users Like Ashutosh's post

Apex Titan Offline

Tiger from Chitwan:

*This image is copyright of its original author

http://lamakarma.net/royal-chitwan-natio...imalayasl/
1 user Likes Apex Titan's post

parvez Offline
Tiger enthusiast

Nepal tigers, chitwan parsa complex,

3 users Like parvez's post

Apex Titan Offline
( This post was last modified: 03-15-2022, 11:04 PM by Apex Titan )

Tiger in Bardiya National Park:  (Photos by Adrian Steirn) 

3 users Like Apex Titan's post

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert

Male tiger from Chitwan (March/2022)

Sauraha male tiger from Chitwan (March/2022)
8 users Like Roflcopters's post

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert

Sauraha Male from Chitwan

same male

Sauraha male (March/19/2022)

Sauraha Male (April/2022)

big tigress from Sauraha, Chitwan (Feb/2022)

same tigress
7 users Like Roflcopters's post

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert

Tiger kills an adult female rhino (age 22) and her calf

source : https://nepalnews.com/s/nation/tiger-kills-two-rhinos-in-chitwan
7 users Like Roflcopters's post

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert

BNP-30 from Bardiya (October/2021)

BNP-30

huge male from Khata Corridor (May/2021)

same male

looks like the same male i posted earlier from a camera trap photo by WWF Nepal team. 

huge male from Khata corridor, a friend of mine who wants to remain anonymous told me this male was responsible for killing 7 people and was one of the tiger captured last year along with tiger “Dalla” and another male in April/4/2021. out of the three males, the two caught in March were healthy and full grown male tigers age 10-13. the last male from April was a 5 year old male found in a terrible condition. all 3 were involved in killing people. two males caught in march measured 309cm (male posted above) and 307cm (Dalla) unfortunately, no weighing scales were used in the entire operation.

same male

captured on March/18/2021 

as part of the rescue operation, this male was sent to a rehabilitation centre in Banke National Park

he later escaped from this rescue facility by bending three of the metal rods

https://kathmandupost.com/climate-environment/2021/03/24/tiger-escapes-from-cage-it-s-uncertain-what-it-will-do-next

i suggest watching the whole video, one heck of an operation considering Nepal Army was also involved and the level of professionalism shown was amazing to see. 

Tiger name  “Dalla” 

captured March/17/2021

when i posted these last year, i had no idea this was Dalla. sad to see that he turned into a man-eater. he used to be the most dominant male tiger of Khata Corridor at one point.
6 users Like Roflcopters's post

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 07-12-2022, 09:23 PM by peter )

COPTERS

Great info. Video interesting as well. Agreed on the expertise of the Nepalese, but the Banke rehabilitation center could do with an upgrade. You don't want a man-eating tiger leaving jail without first signing the proper documents. That's still apart from the cage he destroyed:

The photographs you posted show some male tigers in Nepal, like in the twenties and thirties of the last century, can reach a large size. Back then, they were measured 'over curves'. According to Sunquist, they were still measured in that way half a century later. That is to say, more or less. 

One of the photographs you posted, however, suggests a steel tape was used to measure the first male:

When a steel tape is used to measure a big cat, the result will be a measurement taken 'between pegs'. This means it's very likely the first male was 309 cm in total length measured 'between pegs'. 

A few decades ago, I measured 3 adult captive male Amur tigers in a Dutch facility. They were 280, 287 and 298 cm in total length measured 'between pegs'. The 298 cm male had a long tail (104 cm). His head and body length was 194 cm. Not exceptional, but those present thought he was very long. Most people only appreciate the size of a big cat when they're real close.  

Here's the first male with a total length (most probably measured 'between pegs') of 309 cm:

As his tail seemed a bit shorter than the tail of the Amur tiger I referred to, my guess is he exceeded 200 cm in HB. Most unusual, but the photograph didn't show a very long tiger. The reason is he's massive in just about every department: 

Compared to the captive male Amur tiger I measured, his skull and neck are larger and his shoulders and forelimbs are quite a bit bigger as well. My guess is he compared to the largest males shot in Nepal almost a century ago. Measured 'over curves', they were 10.7, 10.8, 10.9 and 10.9 in total length. 

After reading 'Big game shooting in Nepal' (E.A. Smythies, 1942), I decided for a few tables. They were posted in the tiger extinction thread a few years ago. Here's one of them:

The two longest were 10.9 (327,66 cm) in total length measured 'over curves'. The difference between both methods ('over curves' and 'between pegs') in large male tigers can be as much as 8 inches, but, according to J. Hewett ('Jungle trails in northern India', 1938 - I have the 2008 Natraj Publishers reprint, pp. 68-70), the difference between both methods in northern India, provided the tiger was measured with care, was 3-5 inches only. This means the 10.9 tigers in the table above could have ranged between 10.1-10.4 if they would have been measured 'between pegs'. Not much, if at all, longer, than the man-eater darted in Nepal in March 2021.  

One of the two 10.9 tigers shot in Nepal in the thirties of the last century was 705 pounds (319,788 kg). In spite of his exceptional weight, he went straight for an elephant when he was cornered. This means he was in good shape. Same for the Sauraha tiger collared in the seventies of the last century. The photograph in Sunquist's book shows a well-proportioned male. Although he was long (long tigers often are heavy), they were surprised at his weight. Another male darted in Nepal a few years later also bottomed a 600-pound (272,16 kg) scale. 

I'm not suggesting adult male tigers in Nepal top the list, but reliable information suggests they could be very close. Hunters agreed. One of them ('Hunting in the mountains and jungles of Nepal', P. Byrne, Safari Press, 2012, pp. 63) wrote Nepal tigers (referring to tigers in the western part of the country in particular) have shortish tails, large heads and long, bulky bodies.  

Tigers in India and Nepal are protected. Quite something if you consider the number of humans living in both countries. The result is more tigers. Although new reserves have been added, more are needed. Another problem is most reserves are quite small. Not seldom, tigers unable to compete as a result of age and injuries have no option but to settle outside the reserve. As many reserves are surrounded by villages, conflicts between humans and tigers never are far away. 

What happened to the male who destroyed his cage? Did he, regarding humans, change his behaviour?
5 users Like peter's post

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert
( This post was last modified: 07-12-2022, 04:26 AM by Roflcopters )

Quote:Peter :

You don't want a man-eating tiger to leave without first signing the proper documents. That's still apart from the damage to his cage:

I thought it was a bit unusual too, no tiger should be able to escape their rehabilitation facility if it’s properly secured. not really sure what happened there. 

What happened to the male who destroyed his cage? Did he, regarding humans, change his behaviour? 
Quote:after his escape, he moved towards Chure region of Banke National park. far away from human-settlements as per Dr.Rabin Kadariya’s (NTNC) press release.

here is the third male that was caught on April/4/2021
he was critically injured in a territorial fight and resorted to killing humans. overall, he was linked to 3 deaths. same with “Dalla”. even though he looked healthy from pics, Dalla was found with a broken canine and damaged claws as a result of a serious fight and as a last resort to survive. these tigers turned man-eaters.

I'm not suggesting adult male tigers in Nepal top the list, but reliable information suggests they could be very close. Hunters agreed. One of them (
'Hunting in the mountains and jungles of Nepal', P. Byrne, Safari Press, 2012, pp. 63) wrote Nepal tigers (referring to tigers in the western part of the country in particular) have shortish tails, large heads and long, bulky bodies. 

most definitely, Terai tigers. whether they are from India or Nepal are probably some of the biggest tigers out there. i’m sure there’s regional differences but to me at least. their potential can’t be overlooked and all the historical records points towards them being exceptional. 

Tigers in India and Nepal are protected. Quite something if you consider the number of humans in both countries. The result is more tigers. Although new reserves have been added, more are needed. Another problem is most reserves are quite small. Not seldom, tigers unable to compete have no option but to settle outside the reserve. As many reserves are surrounded by villages, conflicts between humans and tigers never are far away.

I agree, with the growing population of tigers. even the extensions and buffer areas alone can’t guarantee enough space for the tigers. prey-depletion is also a major factor and as a last resort, tigers will then turn towards hunting livestock and humans just to survive. both India and Nepal are dealing with this issue. there’s really no real-solution to this. 

Jimmy Offline

Bardiya tigers
Pic: Drishtant Bidari

6 users Like Jimmy's post

Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

I don't know what it's worth but if it's true that's good news.

5 users Like Spalea's post

Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

About #147:

Good news if :

- indeed the number of tigers in Nepal has doubled in 10 years.
- The park ranger's level of involvement is the one showed in the video.

But, of course, if the tigers are more numerous in such proportions, the problems of cohabitation with humans are inevitably going to increase.

Big challenge for the future !
5 users Like Spalea's post

Roflcopters Offline
Modern Tiger Expert

(10-08-2022, 04:09 AM)Spalea Wrote: About #147:

Good news if :

- indeed the number of tigers in Nepal has doubled in 10 years.
- The park ranger's level of involvement is the one showed in the video.

But, of course, if the tigers are more numerous in such proportions, the problems of cohabitation with humans are inevitably going to increase.

Big challenge for the future !

numbers surely doubled in the last 10 years, the bigger problem is the lack of prey. which ultimately leads to tigers killing livestock for survival. this is an ongoing issue around Khata corridor and other areas where human interactions have increased considerably. only real solution i see is to move people away from the forest areas and introduce more prey in areas where the numbers have drastically reduced. more tigers mean bigger food source and if food source is limited. it becomes a life long issue for long term survival. Nepal is headed in the right direction from a conservation stand point, i think sooner or later they will figure out a solution. those rehab facilities are limited and super costly so i don’t see it as a solution, it’s just a temporary gateway to ensure survival but ultimately prey depletion is a huge issue that needs to be properly addressed.
3 users Like Roflcopters's post

Jimmy Offline
( This post was last modified: 10-15-2022, 10:00 AM by Jimmy )

Rhino and Tiger interaction in Bardiya

2 users Like Jimmy's post