There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

Need article or blog written by members for upcoming section of wildfact

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
( This post was last modified: 08-27-2014, 10:43 PM by sanjay )

Dear Member,
It's my pleasure to announce that with in couple of week we are launching Blog and Article section on main domain of wildfact.com . It will have new and modern look (Our forum will remain intact)

Now all of you who want to publish their article and write something about any kind of animal, can write on wildfact blog. It will give you a platform to get recognize as an animal expert. Your Article, research or blog on animal can be read and followed by wildfact site visitor. So any of you who want to publish your thoughts on animal can write and article of minimum 200 words.

Requirement-

1. You will need to register again on new section.

2. You should use your original name and photo to be an blog author. (Not necessary, but having this, add value to the article and in your blog).

3. Totally Unique and Hand written article with minimum grammatical error. And in a manner. (just like your read article on other sites).

4. A colored picture related to the subject you are writing on. It will be used as featured image to show at home page and link to your article. should be big in size.

5. Your social link will be needed to make link on the author page (facebook, twitter, etc. Again it is not necessary but it add a value to the article of the author).

6. No prints of book etc. Write all yourself uniquely.

Gear yourself to be animals experts with your blog and article writing on wildfact and get recognize to world.

You can write on any subject that is related to wild animals, Like Mammals, Reptiles, Amphibian, Birds, aquatic animals, Insects, vertebrates, wildlife tour and travel, conservation, wildlife sanctuary, Experience, research, Extinct Animals, Organization and NGOs, Poaching, Wildlife Photography, film-making, career etc.

So start preparing your article and blog from now.

I am waiting for your response in below posts.

Regards
Sanjay

7 users Like sanjay's post

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher
( This post was last modified: 08-28-2014, 11:29 AM by GuateGojira )

EXCELLENT!!!

These are great news for me. I have so much articles that I would like to present, and I think that Peter and Tigerluver, among others, will feel the same.

Thanks for this gift, Sanjay!!! [img]images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

2 users Like GuateGojira's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

Okay website is 90% ready, I was wondering if you are ready with some articles. Purely written by you.
Because to launch website i will need some content.

So following active members are requested to tell me, if they are ready with some great article written by them

@peter , @GuateGojira , @tigerluver , @Richardrli, @Apollo , @Roflcopters , @Pckts , @Vijay Rajan , @vizions , @GrizzlyClaws , @Wanderfalke and others.

For details on how writing , please read the first post of this thread.

Remember -
This will provide you a platform to get recognize as animal experts, so you must be mature enough to write this, no biased or hypothetical. Be gentle and provide a proper information. This is completely different from forum posting.

So, get known to world as animal experts.

2 users Like sanjay's post

Expert & Researcher
( This post was last modified: 09-04-2014, 08:25 PM by GuateGojira )

From my part, I have my two battle horses, which are "Tiger Evolution" and the "Ngandong tiger". I have them relative ready, I only need illustrations, made by me of course, that will provide a better article and the list of references at the end, just that.

If the site is ready the other week, I could post my first article the Saturday 13. [img]images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

4 users Like GuateGojira's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

Great Guate,

Site has been uploaded on http://wildfact.com but little tweaks are under process. So you will see a simple message instead of website.

also thanks for responding back.
1 user Likes sanjay's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

Hello friends I need your help, So please reply. Website is almost ready but it's not worth of, if there is no content. I request to reply your thoughts. No one has replied except Guate.

At least tell me who wants to contribute. Can you write article

United States tigerluver Offline
Prehistoric Feline Expert
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 09-06-2014, 10:15 AM by tigerluver )

I'm too busy at the moment to write something full length, though I might be able to write a short article on some Ngandong tiger bones.
1 user Likes tigerluver's post

Expert & Researcher
( This post was last modified: 09-06-2014, 10:47 AM by GuateGojira )

(09-06-2014, 09:45 AM)'sanjay' Wrote: Hello friends I need your help, So please reply. Website is almost ready but it's not worth of, if there is no content. I request to reply your thoughts. No one has replied except Guate.

At least tell me who wants to contribute. Can you write article

Don't worry Sanjay, I think that Peter have a surprise for all of us and on Tigerluver, he is in the University, so he is very bussy (belive me, I know it), but he probably could present a "Preliminary" study showing some data.

As for me, I could made some Photoshop images instead of draws and that will be a little easier for my graphics.

Now, I have an idea: I was thinking in a few articles about tiger biology/ecology that has been inspired in the myths/lies created by "hard-core-lion-fans" like Bold Champ-Asad and other liars over there (including some Wikipedia editors, by the way). However, I though in an idea that instead of several articles, I could make a "single" series named "The myths of the tiger", where several of those points will be treated like:

1. Are tigers territorials?
2. Do tigers fight?
3. Are tigers good fathers?
4. Do tigers hunt larger or smaller prey than lions?
5. Are tigers larger-smaller-equal than lion?

These are just a few points that we could touch in a deep form.

What do you think of this idea?

1 user Likes GuateGojira's post

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
( This post was last modified: 09-06-2014, 01:47 PM by sanjay )

@tigerluver, take your time, No any pressure, just wanted to hear reply. I believe you as one of the great poster.

@GuateGojira , You idea is simply superb, You are trying to post new behavior of tigers. I suggest you to write this article in small posts of 300-400 words in series, so that we can have at least 5-6 content.

One more thing, I am going to open the registration on this coming Monday. Will post further instruction on Monday.
1 user Likes sanjay's post

Wanderfalke Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

Right now, I´m not an expert by any means. Just very interested in big cats. But I guess some of the members are really going to look forward to such an opportunity. Great efforts sanjay.

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

Well, I think most of you are busy for now.

So I planned to write sometime on blog.
I have written a very basic blog. I am posting the content here for now so that guys can review it and correct any mistake i did while writing this small blog.

=======================================================
 Topic heading will be - Top Big cats in wild.

Blog content will be -

Do you love nature? I love it, in fact nature is only place where I feel relax more than anywhere else. My passion is more for wild animals. Although I love carnivore animal more than anything but my special attention is always towards big cats. According to definition big cats are those felids who can roar.
There are 4 big cats, namely, Tiger (Panthera tigris), Lion(Panthera leo), Jaguar(Panthera onca) and Leopard(Panthera pardu) . Puma (Puma concolor) andCheetah(Acinonyx jubatus) are also big in size but not put in Big cats category because they cannot roar.

Tigers

[Picture]

Tigers are on an average is largest living cat today in the wild. According to an estimate nearly 3200 tiger are remaining in wild. Tigers have most number of sub-species, currently 6 are alive and 3 extinct in recent years. Living sub-species are Siberian (Amur) Tiger, Bengal Tiger, Indochinese tigers, Malayan tigers, Sumatran tigers and South China tiger. The 3 extinct sub-species are Bali tigers, Caspian tiger and Javan tiger.

Among these, it is believed that Amur tiger is largest while Sumatran is smallest, though if we include extinct subspecies the smallest was Bali tigers.

Tigers are excellent hunter and live as solitary life. Their main preys are deer, wild pigs, monkeys etc. While they have been also reported to attack and killing large animal like Guar, Wild Buffalo, Rhinos and even elephants.

Lions

[Picture]

Lions are king of animals, reason is, together they can hunt any animal on land. Lions, on an average, are little less than tigers in weight and size but they are social animals and live in family and groups. Their group is commonly known as Pride. Due to unity and mutual understanding when hunting together make them most deadly animal. There is debate regarding classification of lions are subspecies but the 2 popular sub-sepices living today are African Lion and Asiatic Lion (Found in India, Gir). It is also believed that 2 more sub-species they went to extinction are Barbary Lion and Atlas Lion. African Lion are little larger than Asiatic Lion and are more social.

When compare to tiger Lions have longer skull, heart and shoulder bumps. This make them look bigger from front than tigers.
Lion generally kill and eat anything, from mouse to elephant. Their main prey base is deer, zebra, wildebeest etc. However they have been filmed during killing of big animals like Giraffe, Hippos, Rhinos, Wild buffalo, and even elephant

Lions also kill other predators like hyena, leopard and wild dogs to reduce the competition for prey.

Jaguar

[Picture]
Jaguars are most elusive cat and less studied, it is the 3rd largest cat in the world after Tiger and Lion. They are found in Southern Arizona and New Mexico to Northern Argentina and Northeastern Brazil. They have stockier body, broad head and powerful jaw.

Like tiger jaguar also love water, but they are more habitual of it. They are also solitary animals and meet during mating time. Their jaw is most powerful among all cats, and usually kills its prey with one crushing bite to the skull. They closely resemble the leopard physically, although it is usually larger.

They can eat deer, peccary, monkeys, fish, frog or anything they can catch, They are also know to kill and eat Caiman (A crocodile sub species) and Anaconda, the heaviest snake .

Leopard

[Picture]

Leopard is the smallest of all big cats but Leopards live in a variety of habitats including forests, mountains, grassland and deserts. They are found throughout most of Africa and Asia from the Middle East to the Soviet Union, Korea, China, India, and Malaysia.

They are most active during night. They are also known to climb tree more frequently and comfortably compare to other animals. Even they can drag their kills heavier than themselves at top of tree, reason for this is to save the prey from lions and hyena.

Leopard eats everything which they can catch.

========================================
Please read the blog and give your feedback.

@peter, @GuateGojira , @Apollo , @tigerluver, @Pckts , @Vijay Rajan , @Roflcopters etc.

Expert & Researcher
( This post was last modified: 09-17-2014, 09:26 PM by GuateGojira )

Sanjay, here are a few corrections that you should made personally. I don´t think it will be correct to put them in the "feedback":

On the tiger:
* If you are going to put subspecies, put its scientific name too (use italics).
* On the size issue, don’t repeat the same statements in the web. We already know that Bengal and Amur are of the same size.
* No capital letters on the animal names. Check the gaur, also use they scientific names. It looks professional with them.

On the lion:
* Use “Lions are, on average, slightly smaller than the largest tigers, they are social animals….”, this will work better.
* Again, on the subspecies issue, it is important to show new evidence, not only repeat the same statements. The two lion subspecies, based in the latest genetic study of Dubach et al. (2013) are:
    - Asian-Barbary-west African lion (Panthera leo leo).
    - Eastern and Southern African lion (Panthera leo melanochaita).
Explain that based on DNA, all other previous classifications are invalid, specially those "subspecies" based in ONE specimen and that came from captivity.
* Lions do have larger skulls, but there is no evidence to state that they have larger hearts of larger “bumps”. In fact, similar sized specimens, in the wild, presents similar sized organs, captive specimens (which have been used normally) presents variations that create bias in the comparison. In fact, the lions looks larger because they are relative taller and have a manes. Remember that tigers have larger chest girths too.
* No capital letters on the animal names. In Africa, the main prey are antelopes, zebra and wildebeest. Only in India, deer form part of the diet, there are no deers in Africa.

On the jaguar:
* You could mention that a few facts here:
   - Jaguars have a large variation on size, from the Central America specimens which average about 50 kg (on males), to the Brazilian and Venezuelan ones with average weights over 100 kg.
   - Based on DNA studies, all jaguars in the entire continent, belongs to a same species with no subspecies, although human intervention have fragmented the habitat of the jaguar in such a manner, that probably some genetic distinction already exist between population, but this is not enough to create subspecies yet.

On the leopard:
* State that leopards have the largest distribution among the big cats.
* They also have size variation, from the smaller ones in the jungles of Central Africa, to the large specimens in Persia, Sri Lanka and Southern Africa.
* It will be interesting to mention that leopards have a particular taste for dogs, which create conflict with humans.

By the way, sorry for have not post my article yet, but I have only the data, no image has been made at the moment. I will have it ready this weekend, 100% sure.

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

Great suggestion, Guate. I will try to modify my post with your suggestion

Don't worry about images,, You don't need to make them from scratch, You can use any images from internet which is related to topic and are not copyright protected, or you can ask for using it in your article by giving them proper credit.

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Like guate stated, there is nothing in regards to "shoulder bumps" and if you want give factual distinctions in morphology, than the Tiger has significantly larger forearms, biceps, and rear quarters and neck I believe, Tigers also have the Largest Canines amongst Big cats and claws. They are longer in body while slightly shorter in shoulder height but its almost identical.Chest girth is nearly the same and I also have questions on how they actually get chest and neck girth of a lion since its mane would likely add to its dimensions.

There has been nothing about organ size, since the only recorded size of a tiger came from captive or circus tigers which are not actual tigers since they are not pure bred. The study also showed significant difference between captive and wild organs in lions so the same would be said for tigers.

I believe tigers have the heaviest skulls and widest while lions have the longest skulls but Peter said Siberians had longer skulls I believe. Once again, there is simply not enough skulls to compare since most large skulls are in private collections.
The bengal tiger is the largest tiger in body weight and overall body girth not the Amur.

Be careful how you distinguish lion subspecies since there is no real evidence that actually distinguishes a barbary from indian from african from atlas etc. Its still a highly contested debate.

That is most of what I have seen so far

India sanjay Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact

Pckts,

This is write up for blog not a forum discussion topic to discuss.
A blog generally contains the common general facts not the lesser know facts.

For example, it right that Bengal are equal or even greater in weight compared to modern amur but this has not been scientifically proved and have not been accepted among scientists. in fact, I guess this is newly discovered fact.

Though I will try to consider your points.

I also proposed you guys to write blog on these topics