There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mountain Lion Directory

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 03-18-2021, 04:16 AM by Balam )

Document the different cougars, their names, and history here.

TORRES DEL PAINE, CHILE

One of the guarantees of being in this special place is to be able to see, recognize and document some specimens. This image is of a male that we recognize as Kadü, a large growing cat.

*This image is copyright of its original author

By Pumas Chile

When I meet these beings it is as if it were my first time, my heart races and my soul fills with a thousand emotions is something difficult to explain but the people who dedicate themselves to this will understand me. Especially when it comes to a bug like this TREMENDOUS SPECIMEN I think it is one of the largest that I have seen until now, about 80 kilos of pure perfection.

This gray specimen belongs to a litter of three siblings who walked together, each one has a marked coloration, the others have a reddish color and the last yellowish

By Felipe Román
4 users Like Balam's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 03-04-2021, 11:05 PM by Balam )

TORRES DEL PAINE

They call this feline "Chiway" there are several records in different sectors of the park, it is noted that it is an alpha crossing its territory as I understand it can easily walk 30 km2 at night taking care of the sector of other males and looking for food since they are very territorial and only let the females roam in the place.

That day we were driving with my passengers near the weber bridge when we saw this kitten walking along the road calmly. We stopped and watched him from inside the vehicle, he kept walking, he stopped, observed at one point, he crossed us and literally stayed in front of us, he continued walking, he watched as looking for something (perhaps a hare), he continued on his way through some caulk bushes and we lost sight of it tremendous moment! This beautiful male specimen, I would dare to say that it is close to 100 kgs.

Look at its hind legs adapted like any feline to have greater speed when hunting.

By Felipe Felipe Román

Personal note: Chiway is one of the most breathtaking cougars I've seen, he has some very piercing blue eyes, as a result, some also refer to him as Blue.

Chiway, quite a walker!

(Cerro Paine Sector)
From one extreme to the other. This feline is one of the few that I have managed to register in different areas, it moves a lot, and has already traveled half of the Park. 

I recognize him and I like to call him “Chiway”, in Mapudungun it means “Fog”.

By Pumas Chile
5 users Like Balam's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

ROCKY MOUNTAINS, ALBERTA

Throwback to another regular on our cameras some years ago. This female cougar was easily identifiable by the orange tag in her right ear. At the time, I checked with local fish and wildlife to see if they tagged cougars in this manner. They did not and suggested it may be a cat tagged in Montana (which would make the distance this cat travelled impressive!).

This also marks the first mountain lion I had ever seen in person. We accidentally disturbed her off a fresh kill...she walked away very deliberately, watching us the entire time. We put a (crappy) trail camera at the site and captured (crappy) pics of her and a cub returning to the site hours later.

She regularly showed up on our cameras for more than 3 years. 

By vivs_insties
3 users Like Balam's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

TORRES DEL PAINE

Tyson male
Adult males exceed 2.5mts. long, from nose to tail and weigh between 50 and 70kg. In the regions of Aysen and Magallanes, specimens like the one in the photograph that exceed 100kg have been registered.

The great development of the musculature of its forelimbs, neck, jaw and fangs allow it to be an excellent hunter, capable of obtaining large prey without major problem.

By Pumas Chile
2 users Like Balam's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 03-18-2021, 04:28 AM by Balam )

TDPNP

Rupestre female, one of the better-known females of the area who has mothered multiple litters:

Rupestre in 2018  

Blake Deblock

Her cubs, 2019

The BBC is currently working on a documentary featuring her and her family:

"A BBC Natural History Unit crew is currently following the story of a female puma known as Rupestre. This female’s territory includes Laguna Amarga, where she is bringing up four cubs. By working with this puma family for over a year, this exciting hour-long wildlife documentary will give a remarkable insight into the lives of pumas, showing their struggles and successes to an international audience, and increasing appreciation for pumas across the world. Filming will continue throughout 2020 and the programme will be shown in early 2022 "

Leona Amarga

Zimba, one of Rupetre's cub already over two years of age:

Wayaja Vargas

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 03-19-2021, 02:02 AM by Balam )

TDPNP

He is called "Gordo" (fat) and is an adult male belonging to the last litter of La Rupestre. He was the only male of the four siblings, the rest are pure females, a pleasant surprise to know that he is still strong and healthy in the area.

It is not the best photography but observing male pumas in Torres del Paine is not so common since they take the issue of their independence well to heart.

By Felipe Román

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

Orelha-Cortada cerrado male (Cutted-Eared male)

He is still the dominant male in the area and is holding strong.

Brasília é o Bicho

VIDEO

2 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

TDPNP

"Magical moments when males are in heat are very rare to observe them just like the females that have them running around everywhere escaping and even giving the yes in what they seek to generate new generations of pumice #puma el Cicatriz (Scar) feeding on a guanaco next to the female a little further apart"

By Wayaja Vargas
1 user Likes Balam's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

TDPNP

"Another juvenile male to the list the Lepo"

By Wayaja Vargas

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

TDPNP

"LA ZARCA Adult Puma from another sector of the Park with several litters and years approximately 10 years this cute female"

By Wayaja Vargas

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

TDPNP

"A large adult male (El Colorado). Predominant male in his sector"

By Wayaja Vargas

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 04-04-2021, 04:53 PM by Balam )

TDPNP

"A new male that joins our sighting list, quite relaxed in behavior and very confident in his movements, as a dominant male he knows who is the boss in his area so I show it."

Felipe Román

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

Davis Mountains

Unlikely we'll see this astonishing tom again, unfortunately.

"Adios Chuck Norris. It’s been a real pleasure. I’m going to miss having cameras in your canyon. We haven’t seen ol Chunk since last June. Maybe he got trapped, killed by another cat, or died in an injury. We’ll never know but I like to think he’s still out there, cruising canyons and leaving big confident pug marks in sandy washes. While Chunk maybe gone, he’s got 3 kittens that made it to sub adults. Hopefully at least one will grow to his size. Hands down this is the biggest cat I’ve ever had the honor to share a canyon with. Absolute Unit. We’ve officially wrapped our mountain lion sequence for @deepintheheartfilm is wrapped and I cannot WAIT to show you what we got on the DSLR camera trap kits. These vids are just the scouting vids to get him patterned. It’s going to be a very powerful sequence.

@Huge thanks to @train.dreams and @austintorios for keeping these cameras cranking and to @nature_tx for sharing your Davis Mountains Preserve with us.
"

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

TDPNP

"The "Dark" another male from the sarmiento-laguna amarga area, this is one of the great ones and father of several litters that today coexist in the sector. Rather laid-back, intimidating-looking cougar generally rarely seen due to his unfriendly nature. 

Here waking up after having slept all afternoon. Photograph taken from a trail established in Torres del Paine National Park."

Felipe Román

" "Face to face with the greatest" 

Dark, the largest puma I have seen in the 25 years that I have been tracking and observing the big cat of the Andes. 

Of an indescribable magnificence, everything in silence, everything slow, the only thing I hear are the beats of my life captured in a precise moment that nature gives me again. A deep look that reaches the entrails, and to this day, not a second passes, without forgetting."

Rodrigo Moraga
4 users Like Balam's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 04-27-2021, 02:55 AM by Balam )

(04-26-2021, 07:59 AM)Balam Wrote: Stunning male sighted today at Torres del Paine National Park. Details on his profile will be posted later in the directory thread:

By Fernando Gudenschwager Martini

His name is Simba, he is 2.4 years of age only and already looking chunky and big! I thought he could have been sired by Dark/Nawuel male because his facial features looked similar to him, and Wayaja Vargas told me that I was correct, he is most likely Dark's son. On his way to becoming a massive tom like his father.