There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers

Panther Offline

(12-22-2018, 12:20 AM)Kingtheropod Wrote: Here is another example, a male tiger achieved sexual maturity at 3 years 7 months

*This image is copyright of its original author

That's an exceptional specimen. Also, I'd like to see the remaining text but it's not available for me.

(12-22-2018, 02:02 AM)Shadow Wrote: You have interesting to way to look at that gap. Anyway I am just saying, that I don´t see here any real reason to doubt information from Mazak. There should be many cases of tigers clearly under 3 years old, not only one. That article seemed to be about one tiger being  sexually mature a little bit sooner, that usual. When thinking, that article was from 1981 and current information still gives 3-4 years old, I guess, that it can be considered quite ok.

Yeah thanks. Neither of us are doubting information from V Mazak. I'm the one who provided it here, so I have no doubt about that.

And that's what I'm saying. It's a exceptional case, I guess the remaining text also saying the same thing...
1 user Likes Panther's post

Finland Shadow Offline
Contributor

(12-22-2018, 08:08 AM)Panther Wrote:
(12-22-2018, 12:20 AM)Kingtheropod Wrote: Here is another example, a male tiger achieved sexual maturity at 3 years 7 months

That's an exceptional specimen. Also, I'd like to see the remaining text but it's not available for me.

(12-22-2018, 02:02 AM)Shadow Wrote: You have interesting to way to look at that gap. Anyway I am just saying, that I don´t see here any real reason to doubt information from Mazak. There should be many cases of tigers clearly under 3 years old, not only one. That article seemed to be about one tiger being  sexually mature a little bit sooner, that usual. When thinking, that article was from 1981 and current information still gives 3-4 years old, I guess, that it can be considered quite ok.

Yeah thanks. Neither of us are doubting information from V Mazak. I'm the one who provided it here, so I have no doubt about that.

And that's what I'm saying. It's a exceptional case, I guess the remaining text also saying the same thing...

Yes. I look that age 2 years 9 months so, that it is just 3 months from normal range which is 3-4 years. because when there is that range, no-one is surprised to hear if 36 months old tiger is ready to breed. 33 months is almost there, so it is just a little bit out of that, what would be considered perfectly normal. That happens of course, that some individual are a little bit early time to time and some are past four years, but when vast majority are there in range 3-4 years, then that is what researchers publish.

Panther Offline

(12-22-2018, 02:42 PM)Shadow Wrote: Yes. I look that age 2 years 9 months so, that it is just 3 months from normal range which is 3-4 years. because when there is that range, no-one is surprised to hear if 36 months old tiger is ready to breed. 33 months is almost there, so it is just a little bit out of that, what would be considered perfectly normal. That happens of course, that some individual are a little bit early time to time and some are past four years, but when vast majority are there in range 3-4 years, then that is what researchers publish.

No, actually the mean average age of 3-4 year is 3.5 years(3 year 6 months). That is average female age for reaching sexual maturity. 

The case Kingtheropod shown was exceptional. Because it's close to reach 3 years (which is the least age in the range of 3-4 years). Which still had a gap of 3 months. The 2 year 9 months tigress is not even in the least range (3 years ), which is why Its exceptional case. 

The same goes for the 3 year 7 month male tiger mentioned by kingtheropod. These are exceptional cases...

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher

Some specimens can be sexually mature earlier than others, just like in humans, but these are exceptions to the rule. For the moment I think that the most comprehensive document related the age of tigers, of any subspecies/population is the document of Y. V. Jhala & A. Sadhu.
1 user Likes GuateGojira's post

Expert & Researcher

Just like we have the age and weight ranges of Bengal tigers, Heptner & Sludskii (1992) already produced a range of ages and weights for the Amur tigers that will be insteresting to read and even use:

Is interesting to see that while the Russian zoologists and hunters from clasic litterature clasified the specimens of c.3 years old as dependant of they mother, and by extension not "mature" adults, the scientists of the Siberian Tiger Project clasified all the animals of that age and over like "adults".
3 users Like GuateGojira's post

Canada Kingtheropod Offline
Bigcat Expert
( This post was last modified: 12-27-2018, 10:49 AM by Kingtheropod )

The age of 3 to 4 years is a complicated stage in tiger age classification because that is around the time they start to leave their mothers. Some of them may stay with their parents longer then others, and some may leave before the age of 3. As a result, there is overlap, and that causes confusion.

This is for lions, not tigers, but I believe they are pretty similar. 

Some lions become independent (Or should I say forced to) as early age 2.5 years of age, and others much later. 

The Serengeti Lion: A Study of Predator-Prey Relations

By George B. Schaller

https://books.google.ca/books?id=7ann2dY...ge&f=false
2 users Like Kingtheropod's post

Bigcat Expert
( This post was last modified: 12-31-2018, 07:33 AM by Kingtheropod )

Hunted Avni’s cub captured, sent to Pench Tiger Reserve for rehabilitation

According to sources, both the cubs were some distance apart when the darting was done today, the team will conduct another operation tomorrow to catch the male cub. 

The female cub weighed around 80 kg

One of the two cubs of tigress T1, who was shot dead last month in Yavatmal district, has been caught. In an operation conducted by the Madhya Pradesh special team Saturday, the female cub was captured and sent to Pench Tiger Reserve for rehabilitation.

“The Madhya Pradesh special team, which was called for the operation, carried out the operation at around 3 pm on Saturday. She was tranquilised after being cornered with the help of four elephants. She was later revived and has been sent to Pench Tiger Reserve (PTR) as per the rehabilitation plan,” said Principal Chief Conservator of Forest (Wildlife) A K Mishra. “The team will resume the operation to catch the other cub, the male, tomorrow,” he added.
“We had readied the enclosure in Pench with refurbishment and strengthening of joints. The cubs will be trained in re-wilding in the enclosure,” Mishra said.
The forest department has been trying to capture the cubs of the man-eating tigress, nicknamed Avni, since her controversial killing in November.

The team will conduct another operation tomorrow to catch the male cub.

As per earlier reports, the cubs were restricted in a chain-link fence in an area of around 80 hectare. But the Additional Principal Chief Conservator of Forest Sunil Limaye said that to track the cubs a smaller enclosure was created inside the chain-link fence.

He said: “We had to create a smaller enclosure within the 80 hectare chain-link fence since the area was too large to track the cubs. It was a challenge to quickly fix the compartmental chain-link fence when the two large cubs were moving inside. But we managed to do that in a race against time.”

Asked if the cubs would be radio-collared, Limaye said: “No. We have to follow the procedure laid down by the National Tiger Conservation Authority where we will set up a committee that will finally decide the future for the cubs. Till then they will remain in the Pench enclosure.”

The female cub weighed around 80 kg, and according to sources both the cubs were some distance apart when the darting was done.

https://indianexpress.com/article/india/...n-5505412/
6 users Like Kingtheropod's post

Bigcat Expert
( This post was last modified: 02-21-2019, 11:47 AM by Kingtheropod )

Body Mass of Bengal tiger in Modern Records: Revised (2019)

Hello everyone, I have decided to make a new revision of the body mass of Bengal tiger in modern records. This list included the weights of 30 male tigers, with a few others not included. The average body weight is 492 lbs (223 kg).

Note: Sundarbans tigers not included.

Chitwan NP, Nepal:
Average 221 kg adjusted. n=7. Range 184-261 kg. Reference: Smith et al., 1983; Sunquist, 1981. These tigers originally averaged 235 kg but they consumed on average 14 kg of meat

Chitwan NP, Nepal:
270+ kg. n=1. Reference: Dinerstein, E. (2003). This animal (M026) exceeded the scale of 270 kg along with Sauraha male (M105). This animals weight of 270 kg's is included.

Nagarahole NP:

Average 217 kg adjusted. n=3. Range 209-227 kg. Reference: Karanth, 1993.

Panna TR
Average 245 kg. n=2. Range 240-250 kg. Reference. Chundawat & Malik, 2010; Pers Comm. 2009. Note: Both these tigers exceeded a scale of 250 kg, but was estimated to weigh about these measurements, M-91's weight was adjusted down due to 10 kg of weighing equipment. The other tiger was Madla who's weight is given as 250 kg.

Panna TR
240 kg. n=1. Reference: Noronha, 2015. Tiger known as "T-3", age 10 years old. Tiger was reintroduced to Panna TR. This was a statement from former field director, Panna tiger reserve, R Sriniwas Murthy. This same tiger was also weighed previously at the age of 60 months at 200 kg.

Panna TR
211.5 kg. n=2. Range 205-218 kg. Reference: Roamin; Pers. Comm. 2016. Two tigers, one known as P212 weighed 190 kg at 4.5 years old, this same animal was stated to have weighed 205 kg's during the winter months. Another unknown male was stated to have weighed 218 kg.  

Sariska TR, India
220 kg. n=1. Reference: Sinha , 2008. This tiger was a young male, said to be three and a half years old. This tiger was also recaptured and estimated to weigh 250 kg when it was older

Kanha NP, India
197 kg. n=1. Reference: 21st Century Tiger, 2014

Kanha NP, India
225+ kg. n=2. Reference: Sinha; Pers. Comm. 2016 & Minha Ha; Pers. Comm. 2016. Tigers named Banda and Konda both exceeded a scale of 225 kg. These tigers where weighed back in October and February of 2007. These animals weights that exceeded scale are included in the final average.

Kanha NP, India
225 kg. n=1. Reference: Vats, 2016. This tiger is the sub adult male named Bheema. He weighed 225 kg at the age of 2.5 years old. He was later estimated to weigh greater then 280 kg's as an adult. This animal is not included in the final average.

Uttar Pradesh's South Kheri forest
235 kg. n=1. Reference: Singh, 2016. This is the Kheri man-eater transferred to Lucknow Zoo. Animal said to be 4 years old. Treated by Dr. Mayukh Chatterjee

Dudhwa NP, India
210 kg. n=1. Reference: Ahsan; Pers. Comm. 2016. This was a 4 year old problematic male tiger that strayed out of Dudhwa NP.

Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve
185 kg. n=1. Reference: Habib; Pers. Comm. 2015. Tiger named Gabbar, 8 year old male

197 kg. n=1. Reference: Dhanwatey, 2015. This tiger was a 4 year old problem animal which attacked a farmer and his cattle. This animal had received injuries to its paws and nose, aswell as broken canines. This animal was featured in animal planet series 'Living with Maneaters'.

Ranthambore NP, India
240 kg. n=1. Reference: Khandal; Pers. Comm. 2015. Tiger known as "T-24", This tiger was actually weighed in 2009.

Umred Karhandla Wildlife Sanctuary in Nagpur, India
230 kg. n=1. Reference: Karoo; Pers. Comm. 2015. Tiger named Jai. This tiger was stated to weigh between 220 and 238 kg, the weighing scale used had a 18 kg margin of error. This same tiger was also stated to have been weighed a second time, one authority claiming 240 kg's and another stating 215 kg's.

Pilibhit TR
172.45 kg. n=1. Reference: Ghosal, 2018. Tiger named "Fateh" estimated to be 3-4 years old. This tiger was captured and later transferred to Kanpur Zoo where he will stay the rest of his life.

Pilibhit TR
345 kg. n=1. Reference: Jamshed; Pers. Comm. 2018. Tiger was stated to be 7 years old. 

Lalgarh Forest
220 kg. n=1. Reference: Khanra & Mukherjee, 2018. Tiger was killed in lalgarh forest, estimated to be 10-12 years old. A post-mortem investigation concluded that the tiger was killed by tribal hunters armed with spears. 

Zhemgang, Bhutan
170 kg. n=1. Reference: Tenzin, 2018. A team at global tiger centre (GTC) has trapped and collared a tiger estimated to be 6-7 years old. Tiger was a cattle killer that killed 18 cows in the span of a year.

230 kg. n=2. Reference: Deshpande, 2017. These two tigers are the sons of tiger (Jai) mentioned above. Both of them weighed 230 kg during their second collaring at the age of 32 months old. The tigers names are Bittu and Srinivas (T-9 and T-10 respectively). Collaring was performed by Dr. Bilal Habib. These two are not included in the final average.

Pench NP, India
225 kg. n=1. Reference: Minha Ha; Pers. Comm. 2016. This tiger is the son of BMW of pench said to be 2.5 years old which died due to poisoning in January of 2016. This animal is not included.

Pench NP, India
200+ kg. n=1. Reference: Majumder, 2012. This tiger exceeded a scale of 200 kg, weight was estimated to be upto 220 kg. Not included in final average.

(Including 345 kg male) The average comes to 223 kg's (492 lb), n=30
(Not including 345 kg male) The average comes to 219 kg's (483 lb), n=29
11 users Like Kingtheropod's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 02-04-2019, 12:56 PM by Rishi )

Ranthambore tiger that mauled a woman (40) near Sawai Madhopur on Saturday, was identified as the nearly 3-year-old son of tigress T41 aka 'Laila'.

He was traced & tranquilized on Sunday night in a mustard field. The tiger, which weighed 180kg, was released in Zone 4 of the park.

Source:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/artic...aign=cppst
4 users Like Rishi's post

Virgin Islands, U.S. Rage2277 Offline
animal enthusiast

(02-04-2019, 11:13 AM)Rishi Wrote:

Ranthambore tiger that mauled a woman (40) near Sawai Madhopur on Saturday, was identified as the 3-year-old son of tigress T-41 aka 'Laila'.

He was traced & tranquilized on Sunday night in a mustard field. The tiger, which weighed 180kg, was released in Zone 4 of the park.

Source:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/artic...aign=cppst
 laila's boy blue eyes he's younger than three though this him with mother may 2017

2 users Like Rage2277's post

Expert & Researcher
( This post was last modified: 02-12-2019, 05:40 AM by GuateGojira )

(01-14-2019, 10:58 AM)Kingtheropod Wrote: Body Mass of Bengal tiger in Modern Records: Revised (2019)

Hello everyone, I have decided to make a new revision of the body mass of Bengal tiger in modern records. This list included the weights of 30 male tigers, with a few others not included. The average body weight is 492 lbs (223 kg).

Note: Sundarbans tigers not included.

Chitwan NP, Nepal:
Average 221 kg adjusted. n=7. Range 184-261 kg. Reference: Smith et al., 1983; Sunquist, 1981. These tigers originally averaged 235 kg but they consumed on average 14 kg of meat

Chitwan NP, Nepal:
270+ kg. n=1. Reference: Dinerstein, E. (2003). This animal (M026) exceeded the scale of 270 kg along with Sauraha male (M105). This animals weight of 270 kg's is included.

Nagarahole NP:

Average 217 kg adjusted. n=3. Range 209-227 kg. Reference: Karanth, 1993.

Panna TR
Average 245 kg. n=2. Range 240-250 kg. Reference. Chundawat & Malik, 2010; Pers Comm. 2009. Note: Both these tigers exceeded a scale of 250 kg, but was estimated to weigh about these measurements, M-91's weight was adjusted down due to 10 kg of weighing equipment. The other tiger was Madla who's weight is given as 250 kg.

Panna TR
240 kg. n=1. Reference: Noronha, 2015. Tiger known as "T-3", age 10 years old. Tiger was reintroduced to Panna TR. This was a statement from former field director, Panna tiger reserve, R Sriniwas Murthy. This same tiger was also weighed previously at the age of 60 months at 200 kg.

Panna TR
211.5 kg. n=2. Range 205-218 kg. Reference: Roamin; Pers. Comm. 2016. Two tigers, one known as P212 weighed 190 kg at 4.5 years old, this same animal was stated to have weighed 205 kg's during the winter months. Another unknown male was stated to have weighed 218 kg.  

Sariska TR, India
220 kg. n=1. Reference: Sinha , 2008. This tiger was a young male, said to be three and a half years old. This tiger was also recaptured and estimated to weigh 250 kg when it was older

Kanha NP, India
197 kg. n=1. Reference: 21st Century Tiger, 2014

Kanha NP, India
225+ kg. n=2. Reference: Sinha; Pers. Comm. 2016 & Minha Ha; Pers. Comm. 2016. Tigers named Banda and Konda both exceeded a scale of 225 kg. These tigers where weighed back in October and February of 2007. These animals weights that exceeded scale are included in the final average.

Kanha NP, India
225 kg. n=1. Reference: Vats, 2016. This tiger is the sub adult male named Bheema. He weighed 225 kg at the age of 2.5 years old. He was later estimated to weigh greater then 280 kg's as an adult. This animal is not included in the final average.

Uttar Pradesh's South Kheri forest
235 kg. n=1. Reference: Singh, 2016. This is the Kheri man-eater transferred to Lucknow Zoo. Animal said to be 4 years old. Treated by Dr. Mayukh Chatterjee

Dudhwa NP, India
210 kg. n=1. Reference: Ahsan; Pers. Comm. 2016. This was a 4 year old problematic male tiger that strayed out of Dudhwa NP.

185 kg. n=1. Reference: Habib; Pers. Comm. 2015. Tiger named Gabbar, 8 year old male

197 kg. n=1. Reference: Dhanwatey, 2015. This tiger was a 4 year old problem animal which attacked a farmer and his cattle. This animal had received injuries to its paws and nose, aswell as broken canines. This animal was featured in animal planet series 'Living with Maneaters'.

Ranthambore NP, India
240 kg. n=1. Reference: Khandal; Pers. Comm. 2015. Tiger known as "T-24", This tiger was actually weighed in 2009.

230 kg. n=1. Reference: Karoo; Pers. Comm. 2015. Tiger named Jai. This tiger was stated to weigh between 220 and 238 kg, the weighing scale used had a 18 kg margin of error. This same tiger was also stated to have been weighed a second time, one authority claiming 240 kg's and another stating 215 kg's.

Pilibhit TR
172.45 kg. n=1. Reference: Ghosal, 2018. Tiger named "Fateh" estimated to be 3-4 years old. This tiger was captured and later transferred to Kanpur Zoo where he will stay the rest of his life.

Pilibhit TR
345 kg. n=1. Reference: Jamshed; Pers. Comm. 2018. Tiger was stated to be 7 years old. 

Lalgarh Forest
220 kg. n=1. Reference: Khanra & Mukherjee, 2018. Tiger was killed in lalgarh forest, estimated to be 10-12 years old. A post-mortem investigation concluded that the tiger was killed by tribal hunters armed with spears. 

Zhemgang, Bhutan
170 kg. n=1. Reference: Tenzin, 2018. A team at global tiger centre (GTC) has trapped and collared a tiger estimated to be 6-7 years old. Tiger was a cattle killer that killed 18 cows in the span of a year.

230 kg. n=2. Reference: Deshpande, 2017. These two tigers are the sons of tiger (Jai) mentioned above. Both of them weighed 230 kg during their second collaring at the age of 32 months old. The tigers names are Bittu and Srinivas (T-9 and T-10 respectively). Collaring was performed by Dr. Bilal Habib. These two are not included in the final average.

Pench NP, India
225 kg. n=1. Reference: Minha Ha; Pers. Comm. 2016. This tiger is the son of BMW of pench said to be 2.5 years old which died due to poisoning in January of 2016. This animal is not included.

Pench NP, India
200+ kg. n=1. Reference: Majumder, 2012. This tiger exceeded a scale of 200 kg, weight was estimated to be upto 220 kg. Not included in final average.

The average comes to 223 kg's (492 lb), n=30

Good information, I appreciate your updates.

Just like a side note, the table that I made, using only the 21 males from scientific documents and corroborated news reports, I got an average of 220 kg (range= 184 - 261 kg), which is a diference of only 3 kg. For females, I have an average of 137 kg (n=29, range=106 - 177 kg).

That means that even excludind 9 males, the change is not as dramatic as we can think.

Just one question, did you include the male of 345 kg from Pilibhit?
3 users Like GuateGojira's post

Bigcat Expert
( This post was last modified: 02-21-2019, 11:49 AM by Kingtheropod )

Yes I did

This is his facebook page. He seems like a reliable source, so can't say much against him.

https://www.facebook.com/rahil.ahmad.585?ref=br_rs

https://www.reddit.com/r/natureismetal/c...he_planet/

Here is an article about him...

https://telanganatoday.com/expert-tiger-...scue-of-k4

*Update: I have recently updated the Averages for the list shown above
1 user Likes Kingtheropod's post

Sanju Offline
( This post was last modified: 02-12-2019, 04:05 PM by Sanju )

Grown up tigers can't be released from Park: Arunachal forest officials

PTI| Apr 08, 2018, 12.49 PM IST

ITANAGAR: Two tiger cubs, rescued in 2012 from Angrim in Dibang Valley district in Arunachal Pradesh, have grown up in captivity and now can't be released them into the wild due to delay in procedures, forest officials said today. "The tigers are well settled now and they have gained weight and increased in size. The approximate weight of the male tiger now is around 300 kg while the female weighs more than 200 kg," park curator Raya Flago said.

Male 'Ipra' and female 'Chipi' have been brought at the Biological Park here in September 2013 after they were rescued from Angrim.

"The tigers are well settled now and they have gained weight and increased in size.
Quote:The approximate weight of the male tiger now is around "300 kg" shocked while the female weighs more than 200 kg, shocked  wtf!?" park curator Raya Flago said.

Fed on the stipulated diet of 10 kg beef each per day, Ipra and Chipi were supposed to be released in the wild but it is too late now as they have grown and might not cope well in the wild. Moreover, delay in certain official procedures has sealed their chance for releasing in the wild, he said.

"During 2015 we have submitted a proposal to the National Tiger Conservation Authority (NTCA) for releasing Ipra and Chipi to the wild. However, due to delay in certain formalities it could not be materialised. There are certain protocols to be followed for releasing tiger in the wild," he said.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/new...665866.cms

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 02-12-2019, 05:38 PM by Pckts )

Those weights are estimated I'm sure @Sanju
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Bigcat Expert

(02-12-2019, 04:04 PM)Sanju Wrote: Grown up tigers can't be released from Park: Arunachal forest officials

PTI| Apr 08, 2018, 12.49 PM IST

ITANAGAR: Two tiger cubs, rescued in 2012 from Angrim in Dibang Valley district in Arunachal Pradesh, have grown up in captivity and now can't be released them into the wild due to delay in procedures, forest officials said today. "The tigers are well settled now and they have gained weight and increased in size. The approximate weight of the male tiger now is around 300 kg while the female weighs more than 200 kg," park curator Raya Flago said.

Male 'Ipra' and female 'Chipi' have been brought at the Biological Park here in September 2013 after they were rescued from Angrim.

"The tigers are well settled now and they have gained weight and increased in size.
Quote:The approximate weight of the male tiger now is around "300 kg" shocked while the female weighs more than 200 kg, shocked  wtf!?" park curator Raya Flago said.

Fed on the stipulated diet of 10 kg beef each per day, Ipra and Chipi were supposed to be released in the wild but it is too late now as they have grown and might not cope well in the wild. Moreover, delay in certain official procedures has sealed their chance for releasing in the wild, he said.

"During 2015 we have submitted a proposal to the National Tiger Conservation Authority (NTCA) for releasing Ipra and Chipi to the wild. However, due to delay in certain formalities it could not be materialised. There are certain protocols to be followed for releasing tiger in the wild," he said.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/new...665866.cms
The real question is, if the weights are accurate. Can these tigers be considered truly wild?