There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Modern weights and measurements on wild tigers

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(03-29-2022, 04:55 AM)Khan85 Wrote:
(03-29-2022, 04:11 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(03-29-2022, 03:22 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(03-29-2022, 03:14 AM)Khan85 Wrote:
(03-28-2022, 09:15 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(03-28-2022, 01:22 AM)Khan85 Wrote:
(03-27-2022, 11:41 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(03-27-2022, 10:55 PM)Khan85 Wrote: A researcher involved in capturing tigers in central India told that Bamera of Bandhavgarh weighed 221 kg. I know for sure that late Bamera was never captured in his life so probably he meant T37 aka Bamera son. If I'm correct he was captured in Nov-Dec 2021 when he was very skinny and sick.
If you can get more info on this That’d be great. I believe Bamera was captured later in life and Bamera Son as well. Both were in bad shape when captured.

I did ask them but got no reply.

Are you able to provide who gave you the info?

It was Dr. Sunal
I didn't know he was involved in Bamera's capture, that's great info. 
I wish we had some more details on Bamera, that's way larger than I thought he would of been at the time of his capture. If that weight is true, he really could of been a 250kg cat in his prime.

More of Dr. Sunal/Panna team being involved.

Tiger Protection Society
5/20/2016
Injured Bamera tiger dies in Bandhavgarh 
Battling for life for almost six months in an enclosure at Bandhavgarh National Park in Madhya Pradesh, an injured male tiger 'Bamera' died on Thursday morning.
The big cat, found grievously injured after a territorial fight, was not responding to treatment, park sources said.
Experts from the state's Panna National Park, who treated the tiger, found limping in November, 2015. "The tiger was to be shifted to a zoo. But we had lost all hopes of its survival," said a forest department official.
Madhya Pradesh has lost 24 tigers since January last year. Eleven died in last four months of either poisoning or electrocution.
Two cubs died at the state's Kanha National Park recently after the tigress and two cubs died of poisoning elsewhere.

Means it was original bamera. Do you, by any chance, have pics of him when he was captured?
I’ll have to search around tomorrow but there should be some on WF I’m sure.

Bigcat Enthusiast

(03-27-2022, 10:55 PM)Khan85 Wrote: A researcher involved in capturing tigers in central India told that Bamera of Bandhavgarh weighed 221 kg. I know for sure that late Bamera was never captured in his life so probably he meant T37 aka Bamera son. If I'm correct he was captured in Nov-Dec 2021 when he was very skinny and sick.
If you can get more info on this That’d be great. I believe Bamera was captured later in life and Bamera Son as well. Both were in bad shape when captured.

It was Dr. Sunal
I wish we had some more details on Bamera, that's way larger than I thought he would of been at the time of his capture. If that weight is true, he really could of been a 250kg cat in his prime.

Tiger Protection Society
5/20/2016
Battling for life for almost six months in an enclosure at Bandhavgarh National Park in Madhya Pradesh, an injured male tiger 'Bamera' died on Thursday morning.
The big cat, found grievously injured after a territorial fight, was not responding to treatment, park sources said.
Experts from the state's Panna National Park, who treated the tiger, found limping in November, 2015. "The tiger was to be shifted to a zoo. But we had lost all hopes of its survival," said a forest department official.
Madhya Pradesh has lost 24 tigers since January last year. Eleven died in last four months of either poisoning or electrocution.
Two cubs died at the state's Kanha National Park recently after the tigress and two cubs died of poisoning elsewhere.

Means it was original bamera. Do you, by any chance, have pics of him when he was captured?

Sunal said he didn’t treat Bamera or have anything to do with his capture. He said possibly Sanjeev Gupta could have worked with Bamera but it wasn’t him.

Czech Republic Charger01 Offline
Animal admirer & Vegan
( This post was last modified: 03-29-2022, 07:38 AM by Charger01 )

(03-29-2022, 07:33 AM)Pckts Wrote:

It was Dr. Sunal

Tiger Protection Society
5/20/2016

Sunal said he didn’t treat Bamera or have anything to do with his capture. He said possibly Sanjeev Gupta could have worked with Bamera but it wasn’t him.
He did give me the information. He might have gotten details about his weight as they must be coworkers.
1 user Likes Charger01's post

Animal admirer & Vegan

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 03-29-2022, 07:51 AM by Pckts )

So weird

*This image is copyright of its original author

I’ll try to get some clarification if possible.

Bigcat Enthusiast

So some clarification, that was just his estimation not any actual weight.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher

(03-28-2022, 09:37 PM)Jerricson Wrote: Thnx guate. Also i wanted to enquire about ustaads weight. Theres nearly 3 figures - 215kg,258kg and 240kg. Can u confirm which is the most reliable one?

The only one confirmed in news article and also via email, as far I know, is the one of 240 kg. I have no knowledge of the other two figures.

Animal admirer & Vegan
( This post was last modified: 03-29-2022, 08:57 PM by Charger01 )

(03-29-2022, 08:26 PM)GuateGojira Wrote:
(03-28-2022, 09:37 PM)Jerricson Wrote: Thnx guate. Also i wanted to enquire about ustaads weight. Theres nearly 3 figures - 215kg,258kg and 240kg. Can u confirm which is the most reliable one?

The only one confirmed in news article and also via email, as far I know, is the one of 240 kg. I have no knowledge of the other two figures.

The weight of 258 kg empty was added to Wikipedia by a filmmaker who followed Ustad throughout his journey during maneater allegations and capture and translocation to the zoo. He told me that that data on Ustad was shared to him by the forest department involved in his capture. Also that he has the paperwork supporting it but he is out of state so he cannot share.

Animal admirer & Vegan

(03-29-2022, 11:13 AM)Pckts Wrote: So some clarification, that was just his estimation not any actual weight.

Ahh I see.

Expert & Researcher

(03-29-2022, 08:46 PM)Khan85 Wrote: The weight of 258 kg empty was added to Wikipedia by a filmmaker who followed Ustad throughout his journey during maneater allegations and capture and translocation to the zoo. He told me that that data on Ustad was shared to him by the forest department involved in his capture. Also that he has the paperwork supporting it but he is out of state so he cannot share.

Ohhh, interesting. Maybe in the future if he could share the document about that weight it will be great! 

258 kg empty for a prime male Bengal tiger is normal weight (although in the upper side, or course), so it seems reliable.

May you share his name, so we can quote him in our lists of weights?

Animal admirer & Vegan
( This post was last modified: 03-29-2022, 09:19 PM by Charger01 )

(03-29-2022, 09:06 PM)GuateGojira Wrote:
(03-29-2022, 08:46 PM)Khan85 Wrote: The weight of 258 kg empty was added to Wikipedia by a filmmaker who followed Ustad throughout his journey during maneater allegations and capture and translocation to the zoo. He told me that that data on Ustad was shared to him by the forest department involved in his capture. Also that he has the paperwork supporting it but he is out of state so he cannot share.

Ohhh, interesting. Maybe in the future if he could share the document about that weight it will be great! 

258 kg empty for a prime male Bengal tiger is normal weight (although in the upper side, or course), so it seems reliable.

May you share his name, so we can quote him in our lists of weights?

I'll PM you

Jerricson Offline
Prometheus

(03-29-2022, 08:26 PM)GuateGojira Wrote:

can u share the mail confirming the 240kg figure?

Romania GreenForest Offline

Wikipedia weights, newspaper reported weights are not reliable. Most of the ranthambore tiger weights are estimated weights. Guate, you better not use these weights.

Expert & Researcher

(03-30-2022, 08:34 PM)GreenForest Wrote: Wikipedia weights, newspaper reported weights are not reliable. Most of the ranthambore tiger weights are estimated weights. Guate, you better not use these weights.

Ok, I will put that figure in stand by, until furter confirmation.
1 user Likes GuateGojira's post

Expert & Researcher

(03-29-2022, 09:33 PM)Jerricson Wrote: can u share the mail confirming the 240kg figure?

Yes, the communication was not confirmed to me directly, but to another poster, I forgot who:

The original article that they quote is the one that state the weight of 240 kg.