There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Modern Weights and Measurements of Leopards

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

@Luipaard

Quote:How many times do I have to repeat myself? You have no business of my activity on another forum, especially one where you got banned because of misbehaviour. Second, @"LoveAnimals" asked for the Kenyan leopard table.

You came to this forum to post tables made from Carnivora, it became my issue when you brought it over here. Not only that but "your activity" in that form involves mentioning and insulting me constantly, attempting to use language to make you seem like the victim of an unfounded attack has to be one of the most pathetic habits of yours. And for the records, I wasn't "banned for misbehaving" as you're trying to frame it here, I asked Taipan to delete my account because I didn't want to be associated with immature teenagers and trolls who have no knowledge of how real science and biology work. That seem to be your taget demographic considering those are the only ones you can fool with your posts.

Quote:The tables for Indian leopards are weights gathered from scientific studies, none come from hunter records which you for example like to stick with for cougars. Just saying.

You mean like the hunting records you like to use for Central African leopards? What are the sources? Post them, don't just say it.'

Quote:Again you need to let go of me posting on Carnivora. If you can't, try to PM me here instead rather than going off-topic.

Nobody is going to PM and stop using that self-victimizing language, you aren't fooling anybody, and since you decided to bring up random screenshots that had nothing to do with this conversation, why were you on Carnivora asking Chui about a post from @peter on here where later he goes on to call him, Pckts, and DJ clowns, which then proceeded to like?

*This image is copyright of its original author

Post in question: https://wildfact.com/forum/topic-modern-...4#pid99704

I'm not even going to bother going over the rest of your lies on here until you answer the questions above.

peter Offline
Co-owner of Wildfact
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 05-26-2021, 09:08 AM by peter )

LEOPARD AND BALAM

The discussion stops here. 

The advice is to read Tigerluver's recent message about interacting ('A review of forum policies').

Learn to disagree in a respectful way. 

The thread will be closed for 2 days. 

When you return, focus on good information.

Don't respond to this post.
1 user Likes peter's post

United States Styx38 Offline
Banned
( This post was last modified: 05-29-2021, 12:37 PM by Styx38 )

Quote:You linked a table for Indian leopard weights made by the notorious troll TwicoFive that has 0 sources to back them up and decided that the alleged weights of 80+ kg were sufficient to substantiate your claim that leopards reach this size threshold with more consistency than female jaguars when there are only two weights in that table above 80 kg and whose reliability is not even certain.

Here are the sources for 80+ Kg Leopards in india.

For the 83 kg Leopard:

"A male wild leopard may weigh up to 50kg (the maximum recorded by the author 83kg) and a female up to 35kg."

Athreya, V. I. D. Y. A., and A. V. Belsare. "Human-leopard conflict management guidelines." Kaati Trust, Pune. India. Web site: www. peopleandwildlife. org. uk/crmanuals (2007).

For the 80 kg Leopard:

"The eight-year-old male leopard weighs around 80 kg, said officials."

"According to officials, the animal — an eight-year-old male weighing around 80 kg — wandered around the engine room through the night. "

https://indianexpress.com/article/cities...d-4878229/

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-02-2021, 06:27 PM by Balam )

Quote:You're gonna need to prove that. As far as I know, +80kg male leopards occur in different countries unlike jaguaresses who seem to occur solely in the Pantanal and rarely in other South American area's.

There's nothing to prove here, the global percentage of leopards that reach or surpass 80 kg in range is less than 1% based on the hundreds of captured and weighed leopards by reliable entities for decades. Leopards only surpass this threshold in certain prey-rich African savanna reserves and Iran (where they achieve their maximum sizes). The global distribution of leopards is the greatest among any cat, and the number of leopards across multiple regions and countries who attain 80 kg in body mass or more can be counted in the lower double digits.

Pantanal jagauresses alone almost entirely outnumber the number of leopards who reach or surpass this size, but they're not the only ones capable of doing this. Since the body mass of jaguars is directly correlated to the prey biomass of the environments, they inhabit one can definitely expect Llanos, Cerrado, Llanos d Moxos, and other areas to produce females achieving this threshold, and we have data of Llanos females doing this without an issue. The sample size for females in most of these areas is much lower than what's available for multiple leopards across Africa and Asia, yet they still manage to outnumber them in this regard.

Quote:Again the weights themselves originate from scientific studies. I don't care who decided to collect them. 

You edited that post from this initial statement you made:

Quote:
Quote:The tables for Indian leopards are weights gathered from scientific studies, none come from hunter records which you for example like to stick with for cougars. Just saying.

After the author of said table admitted to using plenty of doubtful and exaggerated hunting records.

Quote:You realise the samples are small and most of the time an individual pops up right? 

The exact same thing could be said about Atlantic Forest and Chaco jaguaresses but that didn't stop you from using them as props to say they don't surpass 80 kg in weight, despite one At female being nearly 90 kg and one Chacoan female being close to the 80 kg threshold with extremely limited sample sizes for the Chacoan side:

This is of course counting that the body mass of prey in the At Forest is significantly lesser than the prey availability of leopards in places like Sri Lanka where they also have yet to produce a single 80+ kg specimen. Let me guess, small sample size for those as well?

Quote:The two Indian male leopards are a great example.

Only the 83 kg male, which was said to contain stomach content, comes from a reputable source, which matches the one jaguaress from the At Forest at 86 kg which is to be expected considering both populations are close in average size, the At Forest jagauresses being still the largest animal on averages and maximums when compared to Indian leopards.
Quote:And? This isn't an excuses only applied to jaguars. This happens to all animals, it's called variation.

Size variations based on external factors are convenient for those who want to create agendas around small representatives of one species against the largest representatives of other species. The fact is that once jaguars get access to prey which body sizes and quantities similar to what leopards have at their disposal they quickly dwarf them in size. This can be attributed to jaguars having a wider genetic predisposition to larger skeletal growth. It doesn't matter how much a leopard eats, it will never attain the dimensions of the largest jaguars in a healthy state.

Quote:Leopards have to compete with larger carnivores in both Africa and India so there's that.  

The competition argument is extremely poor, competition is moot when leopards are able to feed on medium-sized prey with frequency. The fact that they don't go after the larger game because such game is generally outside the size threshold of what leopards can take down with regularity counteracts any niche partition they might have established with larger carnivores that do tackle this prey. Leopards still kill animals like kudu, warthog, and a wide variety of antelopes that overlap in body mass with the young cattle that jaguars at times kill, and generally surpass in body mass the caiman and capybara that jaguars kill in floodplain areas, and yet despite this the jaguar still vastly surpass these leopards in size. 

Sri Lankan leopards are the apex mammalian carnivore in the environments, and yet they do not grow larger than their Indian counterparts despite this. In fact, both populations are petty much equal in size, which is to be expected because the variables that actually matter: prey size and availability is practically the same in both areas

Quote:When they don't have to compete, they turn out to be more impressively built and Central African leopards are the prime example. You of course can stick with those flattering camera trap angles. I couldn't care less. Skull data proves enough and so does Dr. Philipp Henschel.

Learn to differentiate between a subjective opinion and an objective one. It is your subjective opinion that those leopards are "more impressive built", this of course doesn't translate to the data gathered by scientists who have captured and weighed these leopards: Powell and Jackson - Wild cats status survey and conservation action plan 1996

None of these healthy adult males surpassed 60 kg in weight, which is to be expected for leopards that at best match the size in skulls of Central American and Mexican jaguars, but don't surpass them in absolute measurements.

Also please stop twisting the words of Dr. Henschel on here, he's never once said Central African leopards are the world's largest, is he aware that you're using him as a probe to spread your propaganda on online forums?

Quote:Once again the jaguar isn't subordinate to larger carnivores unlike the leopard. Persian and Central African leopards show that they become larger when they're aren't subordinate anymore.

And neither are lions or tigers but it doesn't matter because when all variables are equal those three cats will always be larger in size than leopards.

Quote:What a lame excuses; the list becomes larger the more animals are being weighed but the same could be said vice versa. You're forgetting the huge sample size of the biggest jaguar population in the world. You have no idea what of luxury you're dealing with. 

You have hundreds of leopards weight at your disposal, but I could say the same thing about the small sample sizes of female jaguars in many areas and the complete absence of sizes in floodplain areas such as the Colombian Llanos or the Llanos de Moxos where they likely grow just as big as those form the Pantanal, and recently w received confirmation of a 2-year-old female from the Colombian Llanos weighing 70 kg, without a doubt, she'll be 80+ in her prime by a decent margin. Every excuse you have poorly come up with for why leopards don't grow larger than female jaguars can be utilized for these jaguars as well.

Quote:Give it some time until data becomes available in Central Africa. In the mean time, let's focus on the skull data and visual footage. We're dealing with leopards who possess the largest skulls in the world and they're very clearly robust in appearance. Unfortunately researchers and rangers are putting their life at risk for leopard (and other animal) conservation in an extremely dangerous environment.

The data on weights for these leopards has just been posted above, what the sample size is small? So is the sample size for jaguaresses in the Chaco. And no, their skulls are not the largest in the world, Persian leopards outsize them in average and maximum measurements, do I have to go over this again?

Quote:That is the biggest joke I've ever read regarding jaguars; Central American male jaguars average more than 50kg and females more than 40kg:
Quote:Meanwhile Arabian barely manage to average 30kg for males and 20kg for females:

The point is that when if you're going to cherry-pick the smallest populations of one species to compare to another one, you also have to choose the smallest populations of the other species. Of course, here you are proving my point again, despite both populations living in areas with small and scarce prey, the smallest jaguars still outsize the smallest leopards.

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-02-2021, 06:53 PM by Luipaard )

@Balam You're going to PM me to continue this debate or at least move it to an appropriate thread.

Also read post #245; this discussion has ended.

Rishi Offline
Moderators

Thread closed temporarily..

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 05-03-2022, 11:51 PM by Luipaard )

Data of Namibian leopards from the Khomas region

Source: Expedition report: A game of cats & elephants: safeguarding big cats, elephants and other species of the African savannah, Namibia (August - November 2013)
3 users Like Luipaard's post

Italy AndresVida Offline
Animal Enthusiast

Mawenzi, the biggest LIVING male leopard of Okonjima

Weight : 83 kg / 183 lbs
Shoulder height : 88 cm 
(over the curves, probably slightly below or around 80 cm while standing)

Sefu the beast
What a magnificent and gorgeous male, personally my second favorite from Okonjima after Mawenzi

BODY MEASUREMENTS:

WEIGHT: 73 kg or 162 lbs
BODY LENGTH: 104 cm
SHOULDER HEIGHT: 75 cm
FIRST COLLARED: August 2017
ORIGIN: Okonjima Nature Reserve

https://the-africat-foundation.myshopify.com/products/sponsor-sefu
4 users Like AndresVida's post

United States Styx38 Offline
Banned

No chest measurements for the Namibian Leopards.

Anyway, here are some measurements for four different Leopards, all within the 60-65 kg weight range.

Africa:

Male leopard from the the Mangwe area in Zimbabwe. The Leopard was 62 kg, and had a chest girth 87.5 cm.

source: Grant, Tanith-Leigh. Leopard population density, home range size and movement patterns in a mixed landuse area of the Mangwe District of Zimbabwe. Diss. Rhodes University, 2012.

India

There was a male Leopard that was 65 kg, and had a chest girth of 84 cm.

source: Deka, K., Athreya, V., Odden, M., & Linnell, J. (2012). Chemical immobilization of Leopard Panthera pardus in the wild for collaring in Maharashtra, India. Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society, 109(3), 153-157.

There was a male Leopard in Dachigam that was 65 kg, with a chest girth of 85 cm.

source: Habib, B., et al. "Ecology of Leopard Panthera pardus in relation to prey abundance and land use pattern in Kashmir Valley. Project Completion Report Submitted to Department of Science and Technology, Govt. of India., Wildlife Institute of India." Amol Nargolkar (2014): 6.

Iran

There was a male Leopard that was 64 kg, and had a chest girth of 87 cm.

source: Sanei, A. "Analysis of leopard (Panthera pardus) status in Iran (No. 1)." Sepehr Publication Centre [In Persian], Tehran, Iran (2007).
4 users Like Styx38's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

From Kambiz Baradarani

He of course knows of the 95kg Persian as well but of the ones he’s measured or aware of you can see their weights above.
3 users Like Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

3 users Like Pckts's post

Italy AndresVida Offline
Animal Enthusiast

Special thanks to @Pckts for contacting the man who weighed this beast and then posting it on Carnivora.

One of the largest males from Iran.

WEIGHT : 88 kg (198 pounds)
TOTAL BODY LENGTH : 250-255 cm

He gave an average of 70 kgs for males and +/- 40 kgs for females in North Iran

As Pckts said, 3 males of a sample exceeded 80 kgs so he guessed an average of mid to high 70s for males.
This would mean the average could be between 73–77 kg (161–170 lb) for these Persian males. If this is true, what could the consequences be?

1. They’d be the largest official leopard population in the world
  2. This could make these persian leopards being on average bigger than Rocky mountain cougars that average 72 kgs or 160 lb
  3. The average for these leopards would be really close to the average for pantanal females and if it is true, averaging close to 80 kgs would mean that speciments reaching 100 kgs could be possible.
But since there's no sample, let's say they average 70 kgs.
2 users Like AndresVida's post

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast

35kg Namibian female

1 user Likes Luipaard's post

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-17-2021, 03:05 PM by Luipaard )

I have some interesting and exciting news to share. I managed to get in touch with Iman Memarian, the wildlife veterinarian who was involved in both the capture and euthanasia of the 115kg Persian male in Tonekabon County, Mazandaran.

They apparently weighed him the day after his capture and did weigh 115kg. The day they euthanized him he lost weight and weighed around 98kg-100kg according to Memarian.

Here's the voice message he sent me: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pQyWfzpJb_xUHalbf-jwBfNCyh5jPuKk/view?usp=sharing
2 users Like Luipaard's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

1 user Likes Pckts's post