There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Modern Weights and Measurements of Leopards

United States Styx38 Offline
Banned

The Leopard weights in Kavango West have the highest weights based on trophy records in Namibia.

"The average weight recorded of the leopard in each region ranged from 65 kg in Kavango West "

There was also a 95 kg specimen from either that region or the Khomas Region.

source:

THE NAMIBIAN LEOPARD:
NATIONAL CENSUS AND
SUSTAINABLE HUNTING PRACTICES (2019)

by Dr. Louisa Richmond-Coggan
2 users Like Styx38's post

Banned
( This post was last modified: 10-17-2020, 06:32 AM by Styx38 )

Leopards in Tuli Game Reserve, Botswana, average around 70 kg.

*This image is copyright of its original author
4 users Like Styx38's post

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast

(translocated) South African leopards from the Majete Wildlife Reserve, Malawi

Source: Ecology of three apex predators in Majete Wildlife Reserve, Malawi

Namibian leopards

Source: A home away from home: insights from successful leopard (Panthera pardus) translocations

Botswana leopards from the Central Kalahari Game Reserve

Source: Is translocation of stock-raiding leopards into a protected area with resident conspecifics an effective management tool?
2 users Like Luipaard's post

Banned

@Luipaard

So Namibian Leopards range in size that much?

We have small to mediocre sized Leopards.

We have 60-80 kg Leopards in Na'an Kuse and Okonijima.

We also have two different 90+ kg Leopards.

There was a 96 kg(?) specimen from Valencia, and there was also a 95 kg Leopard from Khomas as recently as 2017.
3 users Like Styx38's post

Luipaard Offline
Leopard enthusiast

(10-24-2020, 05:07 AM)Styx38 Wrote: @Luipaard

There was a 96 kg(?) specimen from Valencia, and there was also a 95 kg Leopard from Khomas as recently as 2017.

Namibian leopards vary in size regionally (like most leopard populations); they're bigger where the density is highest, which is Central Namibia. The 96kg male also originated from this region. 

Could you share the 95kg male from Khomas Highland? I'm not aware of this one. I do know male leopards in particular from this area are sometimes known as problematic animals as they can become cattle killers. It's the main reason they're being hunted over there. The reported 108kg male I posted before was also from the Khomas Highland region.

Quote:Leopards in Tuli Game Reserve, Botswana, average around 70 kg.

This 76kg male was also from the Tuli Predator Project (from page 1):

"Here's a general summary of this project: Aspects of the ecology of leopards (Panthera pardus) in the Northern Tuli Game Reserve, Botswana

I do know that a particularly big male captured by this project was weighed at 76kg, again can't find the original webpage but that's what I have noted down. This male, named Skebengwa, unfortunately died after a fairly minor wound got very badly infected. You can read about him here: Tribute to a King

Another photo of "Skebengwa", looks like a short chunky male."

2 users Like Luipaard's post

Banned
( This post was last modified: 10-26-2020, 08:59 PM by Styx38 )

@Luipaard

The 95 kg specimen was reported here:

"The highest weight of a hunted leopard was recorded in the Khomas region on a freehold farm at 95 kg (2017)"

THE NAMIBIAN LEOPARD:
NATIONAL CENSUS AND
SUSTAINABLE HUNTING PRACTICES (2019)

by Dr. Louisa Richmond-Coggan

The 95 kg Leopard was shot in the Khomas region as recently as 2017. 

How long back was the previous 96 kg Leopard reported?

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(10-26-2020, 03:12 PM)Luipaard Wrote:
(10-24-2020, 05:07 AM)Styx38 Wrote: @Luipaard

Namibian leopards vary in size regionally (like most leopard populations); they're bigger where the density is highest, which is Central Namibia. The 96kg male also originated from this region. 

Could you share the 95kg male from Khomas Highland? I'm not aware of this one. I do know male leopards in particular from this area are sometimes known as problematic animals as they can become cattle killers. It's the main reason they're being hunted over there. The reported 108kg male I posted before was also from the Khomas Highland region.

Quote:Leopards in Tuli Game Reserve, Botswana, average around 70 kg.

This 76kg male was also from the Tuli Predator Project (from page 1):

"Here's a general summary of this project: Aspects of the ecology of leopards (Panthera pardus) in the Northern Tuli Game Reserve, Botswana

I do know that a particularly big male captured by this project was weighed at 76kg, again can't find the original webpage but that's what I have noted down. This male, named Skebengwa, unfortunately died after a fairly minor wound got very badly infected. You can read about him here: Tribute to a King

Another photo of "Skebengwa", looks like a short chunky male."

Do you have the remaining article for the measurements of the 76kg Male?

Russian Federation Nyers Offline

Dimensions of some body parts of young leopards at the Caucasus Leopard Recovery Center

1. Age, months 2. Weight 3. Body lenght 4. Height in sacrum(?) 5. Neck girth 6. Head circumference 7. Head length 8. Tail length 9. Foot length of the hind leg 10. The length of the ear 11. Chest circumference 12. Height at the withers or at shoulders 13. Heel calluses of the foot of the front left paw 14. Front left paw 15. Heel calluses of the foot of the hind left paw 16. Left rear paw 17. The length of the claw of the third finger of the front paw 18. Length of the claw of the third finger of the hind paw 19. Fang – upper left 20. Fang – lower left

NOTE
Ш - width, Д - length
The length of the foot of the hind limb — in a straight line from the rear edge of the heel to the end of the longest finger
Ear length - from the lower edge of the auricle opening to its apex without end hairs.

Отломлен - Broken off
3 users Like Nyers's post

Banned

Leopard weights in Phinda Game Reserve, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa.

source: Balme, G. A., Hunter, L., & Braczkowski, A. R. (2012). Applicability of age-based hunting regulations for African leopards. PloS one, 7(4), e35209.

The mature males weigh on average 72 kg.

@Lycaon

The Leopards have a great weight average here.

It is interesting because they had a strong preference for Nyala in Phinda.

Nyala made up about 43% of the kills (Balme et. al. 2007).

This means there was a high focus on adults, and males are above 100 kg, which is considered "big" prey by Leopard standards.

Also, the Leopards avoided grasslands and there was a low density of competitors like Hyenas and Lions in the region. (Balme et. al. 2007).

Thus, focus on relatively large prey with not too much competition equals larger average for males.
2 users Like Styx38's post

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

2 male Amur Leopards

From the Study done by the Project Ecology of Amur Tigers in Primorye in 2006 for a new telemetry-based field research project to collect ecological data on Amur tigers and leopards in southwestern Primorski Krai.

https://www.nfwf.org/sites/default/files...dFINAL.pdf

2 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Italy AndresVida Offline
Animal Enthusiast

Possible new monster leopard record, if it was baited or empty is irrelevant since that man holding it is approximately 181+ cm tall and you can see how the leopard's body is wider than his. 

The monster weighed 103 kgs or 227 lbs!
From Namibia, the same place where a 108 kg leopard already present in this thread and the largest scientifically weighed leopard of 96 kg were recorded.
Maybe Namibia has one of the largest populations of leopards?

Login • Instagram
3 users Like AndresVida's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(02-11-2021, 03:13 PM)LoveAnimals Wrote: Possible new monster leopard record, if it was baited or empty is irrelevant since that man holding it is approximately 181+ cm tall and you can see how the leopard's body is wider than his. 

The monster weighed 103 kgs or 227 lbs!
From Namibia, the same place where a 108 kg leopard already present in this thread and the largest scientifically weighed leopard of 96 kg were recorded.
Maybe Namibia has one of the largest populations of leopards?

Login • Instagram
His cats are baited and this was a cattle killer. You can see it’s bloated stomach as well, still a large leopard but body dimensions are normal. He tends to make some outlandish claims in regards to his alleged leopard sizes but no matter, that’s part of the game. If you promise bigger animals you can separate yourself from other hunting companies. I’m going to see if he has skull scores.
Tfs
2 users Like Pckts's post

Italy AndresVida Offline
Animal Enthusiast

Normal in which way? As much as I heard males from Namibia average something like 70.3 kgs as liupaard said and there was another post of the weights of several males that averages around 72 kgs somewhere. I would give this leopard a weight of around 86 kgs on empty stomach. Still a large animal.
1 user Likes AndresVida's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(02-11-2021, 08:30 PM)LoveAnimals Wrote: Normal in which way? As much as I heard males from Namibia average something like 70.3 kgs as liupaard said and there was another post of the weights of several males that averages around 72 kgs somewhere. I would give this leopard a weight of around 86 kgs on empty stomach. Still a large animal.
Normal in regards to its body length and although the skull is a bit behind the man it doesn’t seem to be anything excessive.
He also said that he has no idea about its skull score.

In regards to Namibian Leopard size

1 user Likes Pckts's post

Italy AndresVida Offline
Animal Enthusiast

(02-11-2021, 08:58 PM)Pckts Wrote:
(02-11-2021, 08:30 PM)LoveAnimals Wrote: Normal in which way? As much as I heard males from Namibia average something like 70.3 kgs as liupaard said and there was another post of the weights of several males that averages around 72 kgs somewhere. I would give this leopard a weight of around 86 kgs on empty stomach. Still a large animal.
Normal in regards to its body length and although the skull is a bit behind the man it doesn’t seem to be anything excessive.
He also said that he has no idea about its skull score.

In regards to Namibian Leopard size

A 290 cm long leopard???? Man I'm so impressed I mean male lions are generally around 280-310 cms long from head to tail and I thought the longest leopard ever measured was about 275 cm long shot in Algeria (yes, barbary leopard). 

That's the max length measurement I used in my size comparisons (can you please see them? It's always on wild fact but the thread is "size comparisons" and the page is the last, number 76)

You can easily recognize them I used a tesla-like font for the title, the background is grey with a black figure for a man and animals side by side. If i remember correctly the comparisons were leopard vs grey wolf, leopard vs canada cougar, bengal tiger vs sout african lion and african leopard vs Pantanal jaguar.