There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Modern Weights and Measurements of Leopards

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(09-30-2020, 11:35 PM)Styx38 Wrote: @Pckts

The place, especially Northeastern Congo, has a good combo of both jungle and forest animals.

Of course, the prey is reducing due to bushmeat trade. 

Also Waterbuck kill in a tree? Was this a mostly eaten carcass or a juvenile?

It was an adult female partially eaten, the male Leopard was massive.

United States Styx38 Offline
Banned

@Pckts

Do you have a picture of the kill?

The most impressive tree caches were a female Leopard with a mostly intact male Impala, and a male Leopard with a whole Giraffe calf carcass.

I think there was also a Leopard with a comparable or larger juvenile Zebra.

Bigcat Enthusiast

(10-01-2020, 01:42 AM)Styx38 Wrote: @Pckts

Do you have a picture of the kill?

The most impressive tree caches were a female Leopard with a mostly intact male Impala, and a male Leopard with a whole Giraffe calf carcass.

I think there was also a Leopard with a comparable or larger juvenile Zebra.

This is the best I have on my phone. I'll look through my file at the office tomorrow so I can grab some better ones.

*This image is copyright of its original author

Banned

@Pckts

Despite the weight disagreements here, African Savanna Leopards have some of the greatest feats of strength.

I have not seen any other Leopard subspecies haul up something this big. 

For example, you have Indian Leopards hauling up Chitals, but nothing as impressive as African Leopards.

I always wondered what is truly the largest animal (without any body parts eaten) that a Leopard has hoisted up a tree. Also, what is the heaviest recorded weight.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Anyway, here are Waterberg (Limpopo province, South Africa) Leopard weights.

"Average leopard weights for the Waterberg as estimated by Grimbeek (1992) were 58.8 kg for males and 38 kg for females"

source:  Swanepoel, L.H. 2008.  Ecology and conservation of leopards, Panthera pardus, on selected game ranches in the Waterberg region, Limpopo, South Africa

Bigcat Enthusiast

(10-01-2020, 12:47 PM)Styx38 Wrote: @Pckts

Despite the weight disagreements here, African Savanna Leopards have some of the greatest feats of strength.

I have not seen any other Leopard subspecies haul up something this big. 

For example, you have Indian Leopards hauling up Chitals, but nothing as impressive as African Leopards.

I always wondered what is truly the largest animal (without any body parts eaten) that a Leopard has hoisted up a tree. Also, what is the heaviest recorded weight.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Anyway, here are Waterberg (Limpopo province, South Africa) Leopard weights.

"Average leopard weights for the Waterberg as estimated by Grimbeek (1992) were 58.8 kg for males and 38 kg for females"

source:  Swanepoel, L.H. 2008.  Ecology and conservation of leopards, Panthera pardus, on selected game ranches in the Waterberg region, Limpopo, South Africa

It's always impressive to seem carcasses hauled up trees, even when it's an Impala or Warthog, it's impressive to me. Impala can actually be pretty big and warthog are very stocky.

Here's a better picture: Check out the size of this guy, he really was a Huge Leopard. I've seen maybe 4-5 in wild so it's not like I have the most to compare but out of all the wild and captive Leopards I've seen, none have come close to him.

Banned
( This post was last modified: 10-01-2020, 11:58 PM by Styx38 )

@Pckts

Nah, Impalas are not that impressive if the Leopard is male.

Honestly, Chital and Uganda Kob are heavier so they are a more impressive cache than the puny Impala.

Bigcat Enthusiast

(10-01-2020, 11:57 PM)Styx38 Wrote: @Pckts

Nah, Impalas are not that impressive if the Leopard is male.

Honestly, Chital and Uganda Kob are heavier so they are a more impressive cache than the puny Impala.

they're plenty big, about the same size as chital.
All of these animals come in many sizes, ive seen plenty of Impala that outsized chital and the other way around.

Banned

@Pckts 

Impala are below 200 pounds, so they are not that heavy or impressive.

I do not want to put too much info, but I have seen Impala, and they never struck me as "impressive".

Just average to below average.

Bigcat Enthusiast

(10-02-2020, 12:23 AM)Styx38 Wrote: @Pckts 

Impala are below 200 pounds, so they are not that heavy or impressive.

I do not want to put too much info, but I have seen Impala, and they never struck me as "impressive".

Just average to below average.

I've seen impala and chital, they're similar in size.
I'm not sure what you find impressive or not but they're definitely bigger than I thought they were going to be.

Banned

@Pckts

Impala are not impressive since they are medium sized Antelope. 

I have seen them, and they look like runts compared to most African ungulates surpassing 200 pounds. Heck, I am used to Mule Deer in my area, which still look far more impressive than Impala.

Chital are not too impressive either, but they have a higher maximum weight that reaches and surpasses 200 pounds.

The problem with Impala is that they are a common prey for the Leopard, so they will be the animals most commonly stored in trees. 

What is impressive is that you get to see the true strength of the Leopard in Africa.

If anything, I would love to see a male Leopard hoisting a larger Antelope like a Nyala or even a smaller adult Hartebeest.

You provided a great photo of a Leopard hoisting a smaller adult Waterbuck.

Now stop hyping fodder like Impala just because they are bigger than rodents, hares or monkeys.
1 user Likes Styx38's post

Banned
( This post was last modified: 10-12-2020, 10:50 PM by Styx38 )

@Pckts

@Luipaard

What do you think is the minimum size required for a Leopard to take on a Gorilla?

Do you think the large males of Kruger and Sabi Sands may be able to take on Silverback?
2 users Like Styx38's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(10-12-2020, 10:48 PM)Styx38 Wrote: @Pckts

@Luipaard

What do you think is the minimum size required for a Leopard to take on a Gorilla?

Do you think the large males of Kruger and Sabi Sands may be able to take on Silverback?

Gorilla's are tough to gauge, I have very little examples of their fighting abilities to go off of.
If a Silver back Gorilla is engaged in an actual fight for it's life and not looking to intimidate or being fearful aggressive, I see no reason why it shouldn't manhandle a Leopard. They are twice the size with huge canines but I'm not sure they know how to use their mass correctly against a cat, I think they try to get rid of the attacking feline as opposed to subduing it. I actually think a large, well trained human would put a better fight all things being equal.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Banned

@Pckts

Ok.

What is the minimum weight for a Leopard to predate or attempt predation on a Gorilla?

Would the Leopard be at least 70 kg?

Guatemala GuateGojira Offline
Expert & Researcher

(10-12-2020, 10:48 PM)Styx38 Wrote: What do you think is the minimum size required for a Leopard to take on a Gorilla?

You question is interesting, but I think that will be important to ask what type of gorilla is involved.

Recently I made a new comparative image of the body size of the two species of gorillla and there is some differences on the dimentions, check this:

So, if the leopard attack the smallest species it will had more advantage than if it attack the biggest one.

Some time ago I also created a comparative image of the large carnivores of India, here you can check the body size of an average sized Indian leopard:

I guess that the diference in size between the African and the India leopard is not too much, so you can use it as surrogate and get an idea of the size between these two species (predatos and prey) and try to get a conclution.

Greetings.
7 users Like GuateGojira's post

Banned

@GuateGojira

Wow.

Great images.

Nice to see that Eastern Lowland Gorilla are the heaviest.

Are they really that tall?

Anyway, my main question is that what would be a minimum weight for a Leopard to take on an adult Gorilla?

Would the the Leopard be at least 70 kg?

I am assuming the Leopards that are bold and/or strong enough to at least attempt predation on adult Gorillas must be the large 70-80 kg males, 80+ kg or the rare 90+ kg Leopards.
1 user Likes Styx38's post