There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Modern Weights and Measurements of Jaguars

Australia Richardrli Offline
Wildanimal Enthusiast

What do you guys make of the theory that the large jaguars of the Pantanal and Llanos are so noticeably bigger than other jaguars populations because they feed on the easy prey of cattle in those areas? The point would be that prior to European colonization they were not so big as their natural prey (or indeed the natural prey of all post Pleistocene jaguars) are relatively small.
1 user Likes Richardrli's post

Rishi Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 06-23-2020, 04:49 PM by Rishi )

(06-23-2020, 03:46 PM)Richardrli Wrote: What do you guys make of the theory that the large jaguars of the Pantanal and Llanos are so noticeably bigger than other jaguars populations because they feed on the easy prey of cattle in those areas? The point would be that prior to European colonization they were not so big as their natural prey (or indeed the natural prey of all post Pleistocene jaguars) are relatively small.

There is frankly no way to tell... Do jaguars from all of Pantanal/Llanos have access to livestocks?.. Or only the outliers?
Only way to say with some certainty is if any behavioural study was conducted on predation choice & prey size of jaguars of several regions. 

For example, tigers that live deep inside the reserves where they have negligible availability of livestock, tend to be larger instead. But that is because of natural-selection as the largest can afford to grab territories of their choice in the core area. While the smaller pushovers have to move outside towards the less desirable fringe forests. Although these are the ones that depend on cattle in those parts with fewer wild prey.

I trust in case of jaguars too, there would be way too many variables in every case that play varying roles in determining their size.
3 users Like Rishi's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Northern Pantanal Jagaurs generally kill far less cattle than other populations and infact it's usually the Females with cubs that will kill cattle during the flood season more so than the males. And even more in depth is that its specific females, but overall, Northern Pantanal Jaguars which are said to be the largest Jaguars rarely kill cattle. But what they do have is the highest population of Caiman and the least molested landscape as well best protections offered to any Jaguar population. For now at least but the destruction of habitat for soy production is quickly changing that.
2 users Like Pckts's post

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-23-2020, 06:46 PM by Dark Jaguar )

@Richardrli

Despite having its natural preys available the Cattles do boost the sizes of jaguars that got access to it and predate it more often. Pantanal and Llanos aren't the only biomes that has/had large jaguars and with cattle access. When it comes to cattle access, Cerrado jaguars also got access to cattles and they're pretty big, jaguars from the extinct Varjão do Paranazão ( currently Porto-Primavera ) had access to cattles and which despite jaguars from that mini-biome having its natural preys the cattles from nearby farm was the main reason for their boost in sizes able to rival the Pantanal jaguars, Caatinga jaguars also gave ranchers many headaches in the past.

Prior to European colonization I wouldn't say they were that small, their natural prey range was much more diverse galore in all biomes, unlike modern days where most of the fauna jaguar live is found almost all wiped out by humans. Its not only about having big preys, the vast abundance of preys is also very important on a predator's size. However unfortunately most biomes of nowadays lack it for obvious reasons.
2 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Venezuela epaiva Offline
Moderators

A new book named Jaguars of the Northern Pantanal was published recently, according to Paulo Barreiros and Rafael Hoogesteijn it is a very very good and complete one 

*This image is copyright of its original author
4 users Like epaiva's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(06-23-2020, 07:27 PM)epaiva Wrote: A new book named Jaguars of the Northern Pantanal was published recently, according to Paulo Barreiros and Rafael Hoogesteijn it is a very very good and complete one 

Just speaking with Paulo now, they're getting hit by the covid crisis and could use all the support we can give. The book is a little pricey but it goes to a great cause and will have amazing detail. I'll be ordering mine today
3 users Like Pckts's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(06-23-2020, 08:25 PM)OncaAtrox Wrote: I'll be ordering mine as well to support, plus it's going to be a great addition to my books collection.

I just ordered mine but they're not shipping to the states just yet, hopefully I'll get one soon.

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-24-2020, 03:06 AM by Dark Jaguar )

102kg Milagre jaguar ( miracle in portuguese )

4 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-24-2020, 04:07 AM by Dark Jaguar )

(06-24-2020, 03:27 AM)OncaAtrox Wrote:
(06-24-2020, 03:05 AM)Dark Jaguar Wrote: 102kg Milagre jaguar ( miracle in portuguese )

Do you know or have an idea of his age? I'll add him to the table.

I am not sure but given that Jairzão male from northern pantanal weighed 82kg at 6 years old I wouldn't be surprised if Milagre male is adult. By the way this is not a Cerrado jaguar its a pantanal one.
1 user Likes Dark Jaguar's post

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-28-2020, 06:31 AM by Dark Jaguar )

There was an amazing live a few days ago by Onças do Iguaçú

Too bad I missed it live.

But I managed to watch it since it gets saved for those who missed it.

It was full of amazing content and infos.

I managed to ask Wezddy about this amazonic adult male jaguar captured in the Mamirauá reserve - Amazon.

She told me he weighed 49kg.

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

We finally received the weight for the male captured by Reprocon, Thor 116 kg!

3 users Like Balam's post

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-03-2020, 09:12 AM by Dark Jaguar )

(07-03-2020, 08:12 AM)OncaAtrox Wrote: We finally received the weight for the male captured by Reprocon, Thor 116 kg!

@"OncaAtrox"

When you add Thor to the table I'd like you to take advantage and add Mancha Preta male's age.

Mancha Preta male weighed 101kg and was 5 years old when captured.

July 27th 2016

''Capture of "Mancha Preta", male, 5 years old, 101 kg, excellent physical condition.
This animal was equipped with a new GPS / Globalstar collar produced by the Brazilian company Nortronic Sistemas Eletrônicos do Nordeste.''

https://www.facebook.com/oncasdorionegro...=3&theater

Just like Jairzão male it is the reason why I wouldn't be surprised if Milagre male 102kg is adult too.

I was in contact again with Jorge ( who participed of Tiago cerrado male's capture and told me his weight of both captures ) he told me modern cerrado male jaguar's average weight is around 90kg today, cerrado male jaguar can get really big, he told me.

I also took advantage and asked him about the sooo wanted Rogério cerrado male's weight.

He said he doesn't know this one. probably he wasn't there in cerrado on Rogério's capture.

I also asked a girl who works with captures for Reprocon, she also doesn't know Rogério's weight.

But at least now we know cerrado males average is larger than in 2002.

Something we all already assumed could be true.

I think the only one to answer Rogério's weight is Leandro unfortunately, its really hard to get infos from him.
4 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

(07-03-2020, 09:08 AM)Dark Jaguar Wrote:
(07-03-2020, 08:12 AM)OncaAtrox Wrote: We finally received the weight for the male captured by Reprocon, Thor 116 kg!

@"OncaAtrox"

When you add Thor to the table I'd like you to take advantage and add Mancha Preta male's age.

Mancha Preta male weighed 101kg and was 5 years old when captured.

July 27th 2016

''Capture of "Mancha Preta", male, 5 years old, 101 kg, excellent physical condition.
This animal was equipped with a new GPS / Globalstar collar produced by the Brazilian company Nortronic Sistemas Eletrônicos do Nordeste.''

https://www.facebook.com/oncasdorionegro...=3&theater

Just like Jairzão male it is the reason why I wouldn't be surprised if Milagre male 102kg is adult too.

I was in contact again with Jorge ( who participed of Tiago cerrado male's capture and told me his weight of both captures ) he told me modern cerrado male jaguar's average weight is around 90kg today, cerrado male jaguar can get really big, he told me.

I also took advantage and asked him about the sooo wanted Rogério cerrado male's weight.

He said he doesn't know this one. probably he wasn't there in cerrado on Rogério's capture.

I also asked a girl who works with captures for Reprocon, she also doesn't know Rogério's weight.

But at least now we know cerrado males average is larger than in 2002.

Something we all already assumed could be true.

I think the only one to answer Rogério's weight is Leandro unfortunately, its really hard to get infos from him.

Great, I added Thor's weight last night but the informations on the age of Mancha Preta is very valuable too, I'll add it later on today as well once I get some free time. Also great info on the Cerrado jaguars' estimated average.
1 user Likes Balam's post

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 07-07-2020, 05:15 PM by Dark Jaguar )

140kg Southern Pantanal male Onça Pintada.

I was on a special mission and managed to do an in depth research on the 140kg southern pantanal male jaguar who unfortunately got ran over and died on the highway of Mato Grosso do Sul in the region of South Pantanal.

After a while I managed to find a video where the enviormental police took the dead beast to a place where they made a footage of the massive jag.

I managed to find it from a brazilian TV channel who manage to reveal the footage to the public through their news about the accident with the jaguar.

The reporter woman said the big cat got ran over in the highway BR-262 in Miranda in the South Pantanal area and by the impact with the vehicle the 140kg male jaguar suffered head fractures and internal bleeding.

The dead animal could be stuffed to be used for enviormental education.

And yes she said he weighed 140kg.

The person who ran over the big cat was not identified.

Here are the photos of different angles of the beast other than that regular single one we always used to see.

Just imagine the measurements of his Thorax Circumference.  Evil

Video of the News on TV.

More clear Images

Other video of the beast.

credits: TV O Pantaneiro

Bigcat Enthusiast

(07-07-2020, 05:11 PM)Dark Jaguar Wrote: 140kg Southern Pantanal male Onça Pintada.

I was on a special mission and managed to do an in depth research on the 140kg southern pantanal male jaguar who unfortunately got ran over and died on the highway of Mato Grosso do Sul in the region of South Pantanal.

After a while I managed to find a video where the enviormental police took the dead beast to a place where they made a footage of the massive jag.

I managed to find it from a brazilian TV channel who manage to reveal the footage to the public through their news about the accident with the jaguar.

The reporter woman said the big cat got ran over in the highway BR-262 in Miranda in the South Pantanal area and by the impact with the vehicle the 140kg male jaguar suffered head fractures and internal bleeding.

The dead animal could be stuffed to be used for enviormental education.

And yes she said he weighed 140kg.

The person who ran over the big cat was not identified.

Here are the photos of different angles of the beast other than that regular single one we always used to see.

Just imagine the measurements of his Thorax Circumference.  Evil

Video of the News on TV.

More clear Images

Other video of the beast.

credits: TV O Pantaneiro

Doesn't look 140kg to me, I wonder if it's just an estimation.