There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Modern Weights and Measurements of Jaguars

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-08-2020, 03:04 AM by Balam )

(06-08-2020, 02:57 AM)Dark Jaguar Wrote:
(06-08-2020, 02:44 AM)OncaAtrox Wrote: Ricardo Ortiz had this to say about Aurora/Pantanal jaguars:

*This image is copyright of its original author

Translation: "the Jaguars from Aurora are big, but the ones from Pantanal are bigger due to the prey they consume, cheers!"

He also did tracking of jaguars in the south of Pantanal un Mato Grosso do Sul

I asked him is he could estimate the weight of some males in the area, this was his answer:

"I estimate an adult male from that area to weight between 90 to 110 kg"

So it seems like Aurora jaguars are more similar in size to Cerrado jaguars based on his opinion! Nonetheless I will be expectant for when they start doing captures.

Nice info on the Aurora jags they seem to be similar to Cerrado jaguars and both will surprise us for sure. do you know if there was any register of melanistic jaguar in Llanos overall??

So far I haven't seen any jaguars from the region in melanistic form so I doubt they're present. 

I'm also even more curious now to know about the ecology of these jaguars in terms of prey, he is the second person from Panthera to tell me that these jaguars feed of different species than Pantanal ones, so I wonder if they are targetting capybara in more frequency than caiman. That being said I still believe a large jaguar like Caricare could comfortably be above 120 kg. This other beast from the Llanos was captured on a different area from Aurora, I'm dying wanting to know about their measurements.

2 users Like Balam's post

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-08-2020, 03:15 AM by Dark Jaguar )

(06-08-2020, 03:03 AM)OncaAtrox Wrote:
(06-08-2020, 02:57 AM)Dark Jaguar Wrote:
(06-08-2020, 02:44 AM)OncaAtrox Wrote: Ricardo Ortiz had this to say about Aurora/Pantanal jaguars:

Translation: "the Jaguars from Aurora are big, but the ones from Pantanal are bigger due to the prey they consume, cheers!"

He also did tracking of jaguars in the south of Pantanal un Mato Grosso do Sul

I asked him is he could estimate the weight of some males in the area, this was his answer:

"I estimate an adult male from that area to weight between 90 to 110 kg"

So it seems like Aurora jaguars are more similar in size to Cerrado jaguars based on his opinion! Nonetheless I will be expectant for when they start doing captures.

Nice info on the Aurora jags they seem to be similar to Cerrado jaguars and both will surprise us for sure. do you know if there was any register of melanistic jaguar in Llanos overall??

So far I haven't seen any jaguars from the region in melanistic form so I doubt they're present. 

I'm also even more curious now to know about the ecology of these jaguars in terms of prey, he is the second person from Panthera to tell me that these jaguars feed of different species than Pantanal ones, so I wonder if they are targetting capybara in more frequency than caiman. That being said I still believe a large jaguar like Caricare could comfortably be above 120 kg. This other beast from the Llanos was captured on a different area from Aurora, I'm dying wanting to know about their measurements.

Let's see with Rafael on the live tomorrow if he knows something regarding the weight of the captured one.

By the way just to let you know in advance I've been in contact with master Peter Crawshaw himself on private conversations lately but I will tell about this in details soon in the Jaguars of Brazil thread. I gotta post something else before this because its a consequence of this post.

Rafael's live of tomorrow will be amazing. Happy
1 user Likes Dark Jaguar's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

No place on earth has the same congregation of Caiman as the Pantanal, especially the north. I'd assume that anywhere else outside of the Pantanal shows a more diverse prey range. Not only that but I think the steep banks and thick vegetation also adds to the Jaguars size increase, they just drag these massive Caiman through very unforgiving terrain and reap the benefits of the increased workload and prey base.
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-08-2020, 05:06 PM by Dark Jaguar )

And let's not forget modern Cerrado jaguars limit size is above 110kg, I am sure Richard is much above that size since he was captured as a young adult more than 1 year ago and he's definitely put on more mass and girth now just like Tiago and the unnamed one, Rogério must be a tank too. I can't wait for their recapture.

The only issue we got is IF their weight will be shared to us on the recapture season. When I see them getting their collars replaced and being weighed for a second time I will be very glad but at same time not sure if I'll get to know their new larger sizes. that's what worries me the most. Weeping

Jaguar Enthusiast

Eleven wild jaguars (5 males and 6 females) were captured for deradiotelemetry studies in three different sites in Brazil, the Iguaçu National Park (PNI;n = 2; 25°05'00'' S and 54°38'00''W), Porto Primavera (PPA; n = 9; 22°00'41'' S and 51°56'32''W) and the Pantanal (PAN; n = 1, 17°07'16'' S and 56°56'33'' W), between November 1992 and August 1998. The jaguars of the PNI were captured using a system of box traps and chickens as bait. The traps were checked every day between 6:00 and 8:00 a.m. The captured animals were immobilized with a combination of tilamine-zolazepam (Zoletil 50®,Virbac, São Paulo, Brazil), containing 125 mg of tiletamine and 125 mg of zo-lazepam. Body weight was estimated to calculate the dose of the drug during capture. A CO2 gun (Capchur®, Palmer Chemical and Equipment CO., Georgia, USA) was used to shoot 5 ml darts, with a 20×2 mm barrel harpoon

All the jaguars showed good health and physical integrity at the time they were captured. Considering the abdominal distension, all jaguars had fed at least 24 hours before their capture, with one female pregnant in the third gestation period and another accompanied by a male. Three males were electro-ejaculated for semen collection and the behaviour of all animals at the time of capture varied from calm and alert to excited and aggressive. With the exception of the pair that were together and a female with her cub, all jaguars were captured alone.

M=Male   H=Female

Edad = Age

http://www.procarnivoros.org.br/pdfs/05._Morato_et_alpdf.pdf
2 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

United Kingdom Ingonyama6 Offline

These two jags are huge. Does anybody know their weights or name of the first one?

1 user Likes Ingonyama6's post

Bigcat Enthusiast

(06-11-2020, 12:50 AM)Dark Jaguar Wrote: Eleven wild jaguars (5 males and 6 females) were captured for deradiotelemetry studies in three different sites in Brazil, the Iguaçu National Park (PNI;n = 2; 25°05'00'' S and 54°38'00''W), Porto Primavera (PPA; n = 9; 22°00'41'' S and 51°56'32''W) and the Pantanal (PAN; n = 1, 17°07'16'' S and 56°56'33'' W), between November 1992 and August 1998. The jaguars of the PNI were captured using a system of box traps and chickens as bait. The traps were checked every day between 6:00 and 8:00 a.m. The captured animals were immobilized with a combination of tilamine-zolazepam (Zoletil 50®,Virbac, São Paulo, Brazil), containing 125 mg of tiletamine and 125 mg of zo-lazepam. Body weight was estimated to calculate the dose of the drug during capture. A CO2 gun (Capchur®, Palmer Chemical and Equipment CO., Georgia, USA) was used to shoot 5 ml darts, with a 20×2 mm barrel harpoon

All the jaguars showed good health and physical integrity at the time they were captured. Considering the abdominal distension, all jaguars had fed at least 24 hours before their capture, with one female pregnant in the third gestation period and another accompanied by a male. Three males were electro-ejaculated for semen collection and the behaviour of all animals at the time of capture varied from calm and alert to excited and aggressive. With the exception of the pair that were together and a female with her cub, all jaguars were captured alone.

M=Male   H=Female

Edad = Age

Do they mention which ones are from the Pantanal?

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-11-2020, 01:48 AM by Dark Jaguar )

(06-11-2020, 01:30 AM)Pckts Wrote:
(06-11-2020, 12:50 AM)Dark Jaguar Wrote: Eleven wild jaguars (5 males and 6 females) were captured for deradiotelemetry studies in three different sites in Brazil, the Iguaçu National Park (PNI;n = 2; 25°05'00'' S and 54°38'00''W), Porto Primavera (PPA; n = 9; 22°00'41'' S and 51°56'32''W) and the Pantanal (PAN; n = 1, 17°07'16'' S and 56°56'33'' W), between November 1992 and August 1998. The jaguars of the PNI were captured using a system of box traps and chickens as bait. The traps were checked every day between 6:00 and 8:00 a.m. The captured animals were immobilized with a combination of tilamine-zolazepam (Zoletil 50®,Virbac, São Paulo, Brazil), containing 125 mg of tiletamine and 125 mg of zo-lazepam. Body weight was estimated to calculate the dose of the drug during capture. A CO2 gun (Capchur®, Palmer Chemical and Equipment CO., Georgia, USA) was used to shoot 5 ml darts, with a 20×2 mm barrel harpoon

M=Male   H=Female

Edad = Age

Do they mention which ones are from the Pantanal?

I didn't see it, the only thing I know is that Peter Crawshaw was involved on these captures and the 130kg male is from Porto Primavera the largest male he ever captured, and I think the 76kg female is the Atlantic Forest one, yes she's massive and also aggressive with the longest canines he's ever seen on jaguars, he had to fend off her charging on barehands and almost died, you'll know this case soon.

Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-11-2020, 03:06 AM by Pckts )

(06-11-2020, 01:58 AM)OncaAtrox Wrote: @Dark Jaguar judging by the weights I'm assuming the 112 kg and the 94 kg males are also from Pantanal in which case we should add to our table (the one 130 kg we had added before), however I don't know if adding the 94 kg one would be accurate as according to the age given he was a sub-adults. What do you think?

I don't think you should add them if they are based off of doses administered as opposed to actually being weighed unless I'm reading it wrong.

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

@Pckts the weights are given in the table under the kg row, the dosis refers to the amount of medicine provided to the jaguars.

Bigcat Enthusiast

(06-11-2020, 03:13 AM)OncaAtrox Wrote: @Pckts the weights are given in the table under the kg row, the dosis refers to the amount of medicine provided to the jaguars.

I was going off of this statement " Body weight was estimated to calculate the dose of the drug during capture. A CO2 gun (Capchur®, Palmer Chemical and Equipment CO., Georgia, USA) was used to shoot 5 ml darts, with a 20×2 mm barrel harpoon"

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

@Pckts I believe what they meant is that prior to the capture they estimated the weight of the jaguars to know how much doses to give them. The table weights were most likely attained once the animal was sedated as there is no indication that they are estimates.
1 user Likes Balam's post

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-11-2020, 04:50 AM by Dark Jaguar )

@"OncaAtrox" 

Despite that I am almost sure that one of the 70's kg female is CG and The 94kg male is most definitely CG's son (both atlantic forest )

So far don't add any of these jaguars to the table even the 112kg male until I get the confirmation.
3 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-13-2020, 09:51 PM by Dark Jaguar )

Peter Crawshaw pretty much confirmed my suspicious of the atlantic forest jags being CG and her son however he doesn't recall in the moment where the 112kg male was captured.

One more thing.

Out of all of these infos from yesterday's post in the jaguars of Brazil thread I decided to ask him if Porto Primavera is in Pantanal just to be 100% sure.
It isn't.

The 130kg male captured by Crawshaw shall be removed from the pantanal table. Despite Porto Primavera being in MS its not part of Pantanal, and also the fact that Porto Primavera do have melanistic jaguars whereas Pantanal don't have melanistic jaguars.

here's what he says. ''No, I wouldn't say that Pantanal and Porto Primavera jaguars are the same population, because in Porto Primavera there is melanism on jaguars, which in the Pantanal jaguars don't have.''

''The one of 112kg I can't remember which is right now, but the others seem to be right.''

So again that 130kg male by Crawshaw in the Pantanal males table is not a pantanal jaguar.
2 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-13-2020, 10:13 PM by Dark Jaguar )

(06-13-2020, 09:57 PM)OncaAtrox Wrote: @Dark Jaguar I will remove it. So it seems like although we got some great new weights from him on that table, none can be confirmed to be Pantanal specimems, nonetheless it is nice to see other large males pushing 130 kg outside of Pantanal.

Its impressive isn't it, nature can surprise us in many ways.

I showed Peter Crawshaw the table from my post #298 since he was involved in all captures and was part of the study as well.

Despite I think that 112kg male could be from pantanal I can't guarantee since now we know how much boost cattles can give to jaguars size and also with the fact jaguars from Porto Primavera can achieve pantanal and cerrado jaguars sizes mostly for this reason. the cattles. so that 112kg male could also be from Porto Primavera and the Pantanal jaguars from that table could just be females the 82kg one or one of the 77kg.

That table is pretty tricky if you ask me Laughing 

I think none of the jags from that table should be used so far. since the only ones that are confirmed are Atlantic Forest jaguars.