There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Modern Weights and Measurements of Jaguars

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

(06-01-2020, 08:03 AM)OncaAtrox Wrote:
(06-01-2020, 07:29 AM)Pckts Wrote: Another Pantanal Monster

*This image is copyright of its original author

My goodness he's huge, the size and muscles on his arms.. it should be clear by now that dominant Pantanal toms achieve the 130 kg mark more often than not. Do you know by any chance if they provided a name so we can add it to the table?

I'll ask
1 user Likes Pckts's post

Brazil Dark Jaguar Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 09-09-2020, 08:00 AM by Dark Jaguar )

Tiago Cerrado male Jaguar 117kg.

I was in contact with Jorge on a discussion all about cerrado jaguars and he said Tiago cerrado male was captured twice, he told me he is the most magnificent melanistic jaguar he has ever seen, he is a spectacular animal.

He said Tiago cerrado male in his first capture weighed 92kg and on another time he was captured again he already weighed above 100kg. He recalls him weighing 117kg.

Jorge with Tiago on his first capture, he weighed 92kg here.

Tiago cerrado male on his second capture already with 117kg.

VIDEO

I also spoke to him about cerrado jaguars being the second largest jaguars in Brazil.

The largest wild melanistic jaguars from Brazil are found in Cerrado. The old hunters pics with massive melanistic jaguars in Brazil were cerrado jaguars that were poached.

When I first saw this animal and posted about him I said on my post #603 of the ''Impressive wild jaguar thread'' that he is 115kg EASILY and if he weights 120kg I wouldn't be surprised at all.

Well, Tiago's weight was between my expectations and I knew he was another Pantanal sized Cerrado jag.

Tiago cerrado male waking up and still dizy after all the capture procedure.

He is a monstrous beast.

Comparison with some other Cerrado jaguars.

Average sized Cerrado Male ( 87.5kg )

151.633 Cerrado Male ( 104kg )

Richard Cerrado Male ( 110kg )

Tiago Cerrado Male ( 117kg )

I feel so relieved after this, Tiago was really driving me crazy.

Tiago's tracks via radio collar.

2 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-01-2020, 06:28 PM by Dark Jaguar )

(06-01-2020, 05:11 PM)OncaAtrox Wrote:
(06-01-2020, 04:04 PM)Dark Jaguar Wrote: Tiago Cerrado male Jaguar 117kg.

I was in contact with Jorge on a discussion all about cerrado jaguars and he said Tiago cerrado male was captured twice, he told me he is the most magnificent melanistic jaguar he has ever seen, he is a spectacular animal.

He said Tiago cerrado male in his first capture weighed 92kg and on another time he was captured again he already weighed above 100kg. He recalls him weighing 117kg.

Jorge with Tiago on his first capture, he weighed 92kg here.

Tiago cerrado male on his second capture already with 117kg.

VIDEO

I also spoke to him about cerrado jaguars being the second largest jaguars in Brazil.

The largest wild melanistic jaguars from Brazil are found in Cerrado. The old hunters pics with massive melanistic jaguars in Brazil were cerrado jaguars that were poached.

When I first saw this animal and posted about him I said on my post #603 of the ''Impressive wild jaguar thread'' that he is 115kg EASILY and if he weights 120kg I wouldn't be surprised at all.

Well, Tiago's weight was between my expectations and I knew he was another Pantanal sized Cerrado jag.

Tiago cerrado male waking up and still dizy after all the capture procedure.

He is a monstrous beast.

Comparison with some other Cerrado jaguars.

Average sized Cerrado Male ( 87.5kg )

151.633 Cerrado Male ( 104kg )

Richard Cerrado Male ( 110kg )

Tiago Cerrado Male ( 117kg )

I feel so relieved after this, Tiago was really driving me crazy.

Tiago's tracks via radio collar.

Tiago's tracks overlapping with other Cerrado Jaguars.

This is why I always look for recaptures of jaguars before I settle for a weight because as we have seen with Brutus they will put on more weight rather quick. Tiago is such a beautiful panther, it seems like the conservation efforts made are paying and these jaguars slowly but surely are regaining the sized they're supposed to have.

Rogério cerrado male will happen the same, on his recapture he'll be massive.

speaking of recaptures there are a few adjustments and additions to make on the pantanal males table but first lets build the cerrado males table.

I already got all cerrado male jaguars gathered including the year of capture.
1 user Likes Dark Jaguar's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 12-19-2020, 09:22 AM by Balam )

Tarobá Iguazú male confirmed at 80 kg

Credits to Proyecto Yaguareté
2 users Like Balam's post

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-01-2020, 08:38 PM by Dark Jaguar )

@"OncaAtrox"  Here it is the Cerrado males table so you can add them into a table.  After that we'll edit the pantanal males table.

cerrado males captured from 2000 till modern todays.

Cerrado male jaguar's table

ID                                                     Age                Weight          Source        Area            Year    
Macharão 1                                       Ad                   87.5kg            IOP           PNE            2000
Macharão 2                                       Ad                   87.5kg            IOP           PNE            2000
150.260                                            Ad                   90kg               IOP           PNE            2000
150.260                                            Ad                   80kg               IOP           PNE            2004
150.410                                           Ad                    85kg               IOP           PNE             2000
151.633                                           Ad                   104kg              IOP           PNE            2009
151.633 (2)                                      Ad                   104kg               IOP           PNE            2009
M.Medanha male                            Yo                   83kg                IOP           PNE             2017
Xavante                                           Ad                  110kg              IOP            PNE              2013
Xangô                                              Ad                  110kg              NEX      Corum.GO         2018
Unknown                                         Ad                   118kg               1.    
Richard                                         Yo-Ad                110kg              IOP           PNE            2019
Tiago                                               Ad                   117kg              IOP           PNE            2020

AVERAGE  87.5KG (source IOP - 2004)

Is it wrong if I add Xavante cerrado male to the cerrado jag table list?? he and his sisters are orphans and were introduced to the cerrado wilderness along with his sisters and he spent quite a while there he manage to kill an adult tapir and a few pecaries but he had to return to IOP sanctuary because he was approaching the agricultural areas way too much and too often so IOP feared him getting killed by humans but on the other hand his sisters had no problem on wildlife.
2 users Like Dark Jaguar's post

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-01-2020, 08:42 PM by Dark Jaguar )

Already edited the post above and added Xavante cerrado male and also regarding the 118kg cerrado male I added a ''1.'' to the source due to him mentioning that cerrado jaguar to one of the people who captures jaguars (including cerrado ones) ''Gediendson'' and he didn't denied it in the conversation. So its still reliable.

TheNormalGuy Offline
Wolf Enthusiast

What does IOP and NEX stands for ?
1 user Likes TheNormalGuy's post

Canada Balam Offline
Jaguar Enthusiast

(06-01-2020, 08:52 PM)TheNormalGuy Wrote: What does IOP and NEX stands for ?

Institute Onça Pintada and NEX no Extinction, the organizations that capture and track Cerrado jaguars.
1 user Likes Balam's post

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-01-2020, 09:39 PM by Dark Jaguar )

(06-01-2020, 08:46 PM)OncaAtrox Wrote: Modern weights of male jaguars, Cerrado. Sample of 10 and a mean of 101.45:

The average weight is 87.5kg

Some have the same ID but were captured in different months of the same year so you just add a (2) on the second one with the same ID.

Macharão 2 , 151.633 (2), 150.260 (2) males are missing.

Macharão 2 male weights 87.5kg (average size) 

151.633 (2) male weights 104kg

150.260 (2) male weights 80KG

So it will be 13 cerrado males in total.

IOP and NEX are the conservation mainly on Cerrado jaguars and Maned Wolves as well.

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-01-2020, 10:04 PM by Dark Jaguar )

(06-01-2020, 09:53 PM)OncaAtrox Wrote: @Dark Jaguar I have added the other three weights, the mean is around 99 kg, it didn't drop too much due to the newer weights we've gotten from Tiago and other large males!

Ok, keep that 99kg average. By looking at that table and comparing ''past and present'' I have a slight impression modern cerrado jaguars average size is larger than back in 2000-2004.

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-01-2020, 10:38 PM by Dark Jaguar )

(06-01-2020, 10:08 PM)OncaAtrox Wrote:
(06-01-2020, 10:03 PM)Dark Jaguar Wrote:
(06-01-2020, 09:53 PM)OncaAtrox Wrote: @Dark Jaguar I have added the other three weights, the mean is around 99 kg, it didn't drop too much due to the newer weights we've gotten from Tiago and other large males!

Ok, keep that 99kg average. By looking at that table and comparing ''past and present'' I have a slight impression modern cerrado jaguars average size is larger than back in  2000-2004.

This phenomenon seems to be the case with multiple jaguar populations in Brazil which means that the conservational efforts are working greatly. I believe that Pantanal, Atlantic forest and Cerrado jaguars are still in the process of recovering their weight potential as newer generations are born into ecosystems with plenty of prey selection and abundance and better management and conservational protection. Trust me it's a matter of time before a 160 kg jaguar is captured in Pantanal.

Also, in terms of the Llanos, I've noticed that the pressure of jaguars in Venezuela is causing them to shrink in size, but in Colombia where there is more protection, the jaguars seem to be flourishing and growing huge as well. It's a shame there haven't been any captures yet but trust me when I say those jaguars will surprise us all, much like the ones from the dry forests of Bolivia.

Yeah these jaguars lived rough moments in the past. The 20th century was a nightmare for wild cats leading some of them directly to extinction and some others were left critically endangered, I believe if they launch conservation projects to the Llanos throughout the whole area with agreements of all parts with the countries involved, Llanos jaguars and envirorment in the area will thrive back again producing large sized animals with plenty of prey and territory for sure.

And don't forget to add Amazonic and Caatinga jags on that list too. They can impress us even if for a little bit.

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-02-2020, 02:29 AM by Dark Jaguar )

@OncaAtrox  Here are a few adjustments for the pantanal males table.

Adriano and Juru would make more sense the source being Panthera from north since Onças do Rio Negro is from south pantanal.

Yapú male weighed 110kg on his last capture  ( CHECK POST #205 )

https://www.facebook.com/oncasdorionegro/posts/1983305481691546

The 102kg male's name is Mancha Preta*

Males to add.

Cotim male 124kg - ( area Southern P. /source onças do rio negro )

Jairzão male 6 years old 82kg - ( area Nothern P. / source Adriano Gambarini )

Scare male 115kg ( Not sure if he is the 115kg unnamed male you added, is he?? ) - ( area Southern P./ source onças do rio negro )

I was gonna add Zumbi and M05 males (both from north monitored by Panthera) but they're still young, they'll probably get their collars replaced and will be weighed again as adults. ( and hopefully the data will be shared to us Laughing  )

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-02-2020, 03:06 AM by Dark Jaguar )

This table will only increase more and more and I hope the cerrado male's table increase as well.

Onçafari will do a capture soon as they said in the live and maybe they will recapture Joker again and finally weight him.

I hope they capture the brothers Grandão and Oreia too.

But one capture I would die to see would be Colombiano's. but I don't know if he's still around.

Onçafaris capture of December 2019 the only male captured was Sombra 122kg, I hope this time there will be more males but one female I am curious to know is Jeffa, she's massive.

Jaguar Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-02-2020, 03:11 AM by Dark Jaguar )

(06-02-2020, 02:55 AM)OncaAtrox Wrote: I also double-checked and the male I had before as unnamed is actually Susto, so he is different from Scare:

Actually that's the same male as scare.

Susto means Scare in portuguese thus its the same male, check him out bellow.

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast
( This post was last modified: 06-04-2020, 04:42 AM by Pckts )

Here you'll see the 158kg Jaguar quoted, let's do some research to find more out about it.

http://www.bio-nica.info/Mammalia/Panthera_onca.pdf

This is Kevin Seymour's study from 1989
On page 2 he say's
"individuals 130kg to 158kg occasionally are reported (Guggisberg, 1975; Perry, 1970)

I'll try to learn more on these sources tomorrow to see if we can find out anything on the 158kg Jaguar reported.

Edit: I just ordered "Wild Cats of the World" which is Guggisberg's book but if anyone has access to "The World Of the Jaguar" from Perry, that is Perry's Study.
1 user Likes Pckts's post