There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

Australia Horizon Offline
Moderators

" target="_blank" class="post_link">

The avoca pride and black dam coalition doing what they do best!

A few weeks ago we had set out on our morning safari not knowing what is in store !! It was a colder than usual morning so we decided to take it slow and admired the sunrise and morning bird chorus , when in the distance the sound of an African buffalo bellowing whispered in the cold air!

We rushed over as quick as we could ( without tossing anyone off the vehicle ?) and lo and behold the avoca females and three black dam males had just taken down a monster male buffalo !
7 users Like Horizon's post

United States kobe8jf1234 Offline

(11-10-2023, 02:18 PM)Horizon Wrote:

The avoca pride and black dam coalition doing what they do best!

A few weeks ago we had set out on our morning safari not knowing what is in store !! It was a colder than usual morning so we decided to take it slow and admired the sunrise and morning bird chorus , when in the distance the sound of an African buffalo bellowing whispered in the cold air!

We rushed over as quick as we could ( without tossing anyone off the vehicle ?) and lo and behold the avoca females and three black dam males had just taken down a monster male buffalo !
where the 4th male is still with his brothers ?
2 users Like kobe8jf1234's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

The N BDMs are really impressing me as fantastic fathers, I have seen several videos of them interacting with the cubs in this youthful way, which is not very common. This particular relationship seems to have an Othawa Male/Tinya sort of vibe about it. Though in the OM/Tinya situation, it was even more surprising given OM was not her father and had accepted her when he took over the pride.

9 users Like BA0701's post

Australia Horizon Offline
Moderators

Vuyela male
7 users Like Horizon's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

6 users Like Potato's post

United States kobe8jf1234 Offline

(11-13-2023, 12:07 AM)Potato Wrote:

where the 4th brother is alive ?
1 user Likes kobe8jf1234's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(11-13-2023, 06:01 PM)kobe8jf1234 Wrote: where the 4th brother is alive ?
He is alive.
3 users Like Potato's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Birmingham males at Motswari.

4 users Like Potato's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Ross males joined Hercules male on his kill:

5 users Like Tr1x24's post

Super Moderator

(11-13-2023, 06:22 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Ross males joined Hercules male on his kill:

Wow, very interesting. Has Hercules lost his pride as well? Wouldn't this be an awesome coalition, if it happened?
2 users Like BA0701's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(11-13-2023, 07:27 PM)BA0701 Wrote: Wow, very interesting. Has Hercules lost his pride as well? Wouldn't this be an awesome coalition, if it happened?

Both these parties should still be territorial, but sometimes food is more important.
4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Tanda Tula update

Just as I was getting ready to head on leave, a message was posted on our guides group informing us that some of the guides had found where the River Pride had moved their new cubs into our concession after a long absence in the north; typical.  Although, by the sounds of it, despite having the den site back in the area, the cubs were not on show much, and just as I arrived back, Glen informed me that they had tracked the lioness and cubs off our eastern boundary.  A few days later a large wake of vultures indicated that the lions had indeed made a kill in the area, and this morning we found tracks of the lions coming back into our area.   

*This image is copyright of its original author

Alarmingly though, when the anti-poaching team was following up on the vulture activity, they found other lions around the remains of what looked like a lioness.  As this area is frequented by the Mayambula Pride, there is a concern that this large pride got drawn into the area by the vultures and surprised the River Pride, killing one of the lionesses in the process.  It is too soon to tell, but we sincerely hope that this is not the case, as with only three lionesses, it is not ideal losing one of the adults.  The Mayambula pride appeared to have popped in and out of the area in my absence, but they left little more than tracks; even one of the Skorro males made a return this week!  However, the Vuyela males remained very active in the central areas, and I am sure with their nightly roaring, no intruding lions are going to come near them.  The Sark Breakaways were around just before I headed on leave, but it sounds like a double giraffe kill in the Klaserie kept them busy and well fed for most of the week, but hopefully once that is done, they will return to our area.  In the west, the Giraffe Pride were reasonably active for most of the week and had their two new cubs on display for the guides that made the trip west. 
3 users Like Potato's post

239Pu Offline

(11-13-2023, 06:22 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Ross males joined Hercules male on his kill:

is that Hurcules on the left and Ross Tyson on the right?
2 users Like 239Pu's post

Super Moderator

(11-13-2023, 07:59 PM)Potato Wrote: Tanda Tula update

Just as I was getting ready to head on leave, a message was posted on our guides group informing us that some of the guides had found where the River Pride had moved their new cubs into our concession after a long absence in the north; typical.  Although, by the sounds of it, despite having the den site back in the area, the cubs were not on show much, and just as I arrived back, Glen informed me that they had tracked the lioness and cubs off our eastern boundary.  A few days later a large wake of vultures indicated that the lions had indeed made a kill in the area, and this morning we found tracks of the lions coming back into our area.   

Alarmingly though, when the anti-poaching team was following up on the vulture activity, they found other lions around the remains of what looked like a lioness.  As this area is frequented by the Mayambula Pride, there is a concern that this large pride got drawn into the area by the vultures and surprised the River Pride, killing one of the lionesses in the process.  It is too soon to tell, but we sincerely hope that this is not the case, as with only three lionesses, it is not ideal losing one of the adults.  The Mayambula pride appeared to have popped in and out of the area in my absence, but they left little more than tracks; even one of the Skorro males made a return this week!  However, the Vuyela males remained very active in the central areas, and I am sure with their nightly roaring, no intruding lions are going to come near them.  The Sark Breakaways were around just before I headed on leave, but it sounds like a double giraffe kill in the Klaserie kept them busy and well fed for most of the week, but hopefully once that is done, they will return to our area.  In the west, the Giraffe Pride were reasonably active for most of the week and had their two new cubs on display for the guides that made the trip west. 

I hope it wasn't one of the RP lionesses who was killed, that would leave them down to two.
2 users Like BA0701's post

Super Moderator

(11-13-2023, 09:13 PM)239Pu Wrote:

is that Hurcules on the left and Ross Tyson on the right?

That is for sure Hercules on the left, that fabulous mane of his, and I believe that is Tyson on the right, the mane color matches, but it is difficult to see the scars on his face.
4 users Like BA0701's post