There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(12-21-2022, 11:57 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: I must admit that i completley lost track of Timbavati prides lately. 
I never really note anythink and track how it look like but giving a shot from my memory it should be;

Sark breakaway 3 or 4 adult females
Ross breakaway/Hercules duo are 2 adults
Myambula are 7 adults
Giraffe pride are 6 adults
Avoca pride should be 8 adults as far as I remember, if they did not loss any members through past months, counting those sired by Mapoza as adults already
Timbavati River pride were 3 or 4 adults, counting a female sired by Nharhu males as adults
Monwana pride should be 4 adults, not counting their subadults as adults

I dunno about counts of Birmingham and Birmingham breakaway prides

(12-22-2022, 12:31 AM)Mdz123 Wrote: BDs are in southern Thornybush with Xikukutsus
They are in Sandringham. Southern Thornybush is home of Gumsey breakaway females and 4 Black Dam males

(12-22-2022, 12:31 AM)Mdz123 Wrote: and Giraffe pride is in northern Thornybush with Hercules & Sumatra
In northern Thornybush there are Mapoza male with Monwana pride, Giraffe pride is further east in Timbavati

(12-22-2022, 12:31 AM)Mdz123 Wrote: Speaking of them, they have 11 cubs and 6 adult females
Myambula pride is composed of 3 older females and 4 young females. I do not remember count of cubs, but for sure there are more than 11
7 users Like Potato's post

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(12-22-2022, 01:46 AM)Potato Wrote:
(12-21-2022, 11:57 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: I must admit that i completley lost track of Timbavati prides lately. 
I never really note anythink and track how it look like but giving a shot from my memory it should be;

Sark breakaway 3 or 4 adult females
Ross breakaway/Hercules duo are 2 adults
Myambula are 7 adults
Giraffe pride are 6 adults
Avoca pride should be 8 adults as far as I remember, if they did not loss any members through past months, counting those sired by Mapoza as adults already
Timbavati River pride were 3 or 4 adults, counting a female sired by Nharhu males as adults
Monwana pride should be 4 adults, not counting their subadults as adults

I dunno about counts of Birmingham and Birmingham breakaway prides

(12-22-2022, 12:31 AM)Mdz123 Wrote: BDs are in southern Thornybush with Xikukutsus
They are in Sandringham. Southern Thornybush is home of Gumsey breakaway females and 4 Black Dam males

(12-22-2022, 12:31 AM)Mdz123 Wrote: and Giraffe pride is in northern Thornybush with Hercules & Sumatra
In northern Thornybush there are Mapoza male with Monwana pride, Giraffe pride is further east in Timbavati

(12-22-2022, 12:31 AM)Mdz123 Wrote: Speaking of them, they have 11 cubs and 6 adult females
Myambula pride is composed of 3 older females and 4 young females. I do not remember count of cubs, but for sure there are more than 11

Speaking of Hercules, I was just thinking about him and Sumatra a couple of days ago. We were getting fairly regular updates on them, but I don't recall seeing any recently. Has there been any recent updates on these two?
4 users Like BA0701's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(12-22-2022, 02:29 AM)BA0701 Wrote: Has there been any recent updates on these two
Yes, week after week there are weekly reports from Tanda Tula Lodge and there are also regular videos from RokFig Lodge like this

9 users Like Potato's post

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(12-22-2022, 02:43 AM)Potato Wrote:
(12-22-2022, 02:29 AM)BA0701 Wrote: Has there been any recent updates on these two
Yes, week after week there are weekly reports from Tanda Tula Lodge and there are also regular videos from RokFig Lodge like this

Great stuff, thank you my friend @Potato
4 users Like BA0701's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

(12-22-2022, 12:05 AM)lionuk Wrote: 1/7 Birmingham Breakaway Young males seen today, the one who has followed the River pride in the past month. 
Credit: Cathan Moore 

Is this the injured male by himself?
2 users Like sik94's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(12-22-2022, 05:22 AM)sik94 Wrote:
(12-22-2022, 12:05 AM)lionuk Wrote: 1/7 Birmingham Breakaway Young males seen today, the one who has followed the River pride in the past month. 
Credit: Cathan Moore 

Is this the injured male by himself?

No, this is one of the other six that had stayed together.   I haven’t seen or heard anything new on the Injured/Oldest 7th boy in over 5 weeks.
4 users Like criollo2mil's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

The bigger Mbiri male with the young Birmingham lioness (Sister of the BYM/Mongawane male)
PC: Hanno Erasmus

*This image is copyright of its original author
9 users Like Timbavati's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

I think this is one of the Maseke males, very dark mane

5 users Like Tonpa's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(12-22-2022, 06:08 PM)Tonpa Wrote: I think this is one of the Maseke males, very dark mane

Spot on. Looks like the one who was caught by a snare on April 2021. His mane has grown in excellent condition.
6 users Like Timbavati's post

United States SMK350 Offline

(12-22-2022, 12:31 AM)Mdz123 Wrote:
(12-21-2022, 11:57 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Guys, I think it would be good time to "refresh" info about Timbavati prides constitution, like number of lionesses, their approx birth dates, who sired them, also number of current cubs/subs. 

I must admit that i completley lost track of Timbavati prides lately. 

I hope somebody who follows Timbavati more closely can provide this info.

The Black Dam and Giraffe prides remain as the biggest prides I believe. BDs are in southern Thornybush with Xikukutsus and Giraffe pride is in northern Thornybush with Hercules & Sumatra. They both have at least 20 members. 

The Avocas have no dominant male they somewhere on the border of eastern Thronybush and southwest Timbavati. Their matriarch died a few months ago. Not sure about their composition but they have a young male. 

Birmingham core pride have 3 young males and 5 adult females. Not sure about the number of subadult females but they do have the white female ofc. They are in southern Timbavati on the Manyeleti border. A few females broke away and are spending time with Mbiri males.

Much of northwest Timbavati is Vuyela territory. They have the Sark breakaway pride and likely a few others as their territory stretches pretty far into Klaserie, and they've been invading central Timbavati, which is the territory of 2 Skorro males and Mayambula pride. Speaking of them, they have 11 cubs and 6 adult females.

In central Klaserie is the territory of Hosi and Socha and they have the River pride of 21 members I believe.

Thats all I know about the lions of Timbavati, feel free to correct me.

Do you mean the Black Dam pride is the biggest because of the # of cubs they have? From the conversations I've read they lost half their pride during the poaching incident in 2020.

When the Giraffe Male took over, the pride was made up of: 

- Matriarch: She was the oldest female, born in the 2000s, who build her pride up when it was down to 1 lioness. She died in 2019 of a tick born illness, Babesiosis. Her daughter also died from this a year later.
- Rhulani & another older lioness, born around 2012, were the next oldest lionesses.
- wa Vusopfa (born 2013-2014) & her two daughters: These females formed a breakaway pride to avoid the Giraffe Male's takeover since her daughters were sired by the Black Dam male's collation.
- wa Vusopfa's sister: She stayed with the Giraffe Male
- Other lionesses that I'm not sure of

In 2020, Rhulani + other oldest lioness + wa Vusopfa's sister + one of Giraffe Male's daughters moved into Sandringham. As far as I know none of them made it out.

The lions that stayed in Thornybush was wa Vusopfa + her 2 daughters + the other daughter of the Giraffe male and the six sons of the Giraffe Male. This is the group that the Xikukustu and Mopaza took over after pushing out the young males. So about 4 females.

I hope one day we hear that Rhulani's group has been living in Sandringham and maybe has even joined the rest of the pride there, but we know that the Giraffe Male was killed, so I'm not optimistic about them.
7 users Like SMK350's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

(12-22-2022, 07:47 PM)SMK350 Wrote:
(12-22-2022, 12:31 AM)Mdz123 Wrote:
(12-21-2022, 11:57 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Guys, I think it would be good time to "refresh" info about Timbavati prides constitution, like number of lionesses, their approx birth dates, who sired them, also number of current cubs/subs. 

I must admit that i completley lost track of Timbavati prides lately. 

I hope somebody who follows Timbavati more closely can provide this info.

The Black Dam and Giraffe prides remain as the biggest prides I believe. BDs are in southern Thornybush with Xikukutsus and Giraffe pride is in northern Thornybush with Hercules & Sumatra. They both have at least 20 members. 

The Avocas have no dominant male they somewhere on the border of eastern Thronybush and southwest Timbavati. Their matriarch died a few months ago. Not sure about their composition but they have a young male. 

Birmingham core pride have 3 young males and 5 adult females. Not sure about the number of subadult females but they do have the white female ofc. They are in southern Timbavati on the Manyeleti border. A few females broke away and are spending time with Mbiri males.

Much of northwest Timbavati is Vuyela territory. They have the Sark breakaway pride and likely a few others as their territory stretches pretty far into Klaserie, and they've been invading central Timbavati, which is the territory of 2 Skorro males and Mayambula pride. Speaking of them, they have 11 cubs and 6 adult females.

In central Klaserie is the territory of Hosi and Socha and they have the River pride of 21 members I believe.

Thats all I know about the lions of Timbavati, feel free to correct me.

Do you mean the Black Dam pride is the biggest because of the # of cubs they have? From the conversations I've read they lost half their pride during the poaching incident in 2020.

When the Giraffe Male took over, the pride was made up of: 

- Matriarch: She was the oldest female, born in the 2000s, who build her pride up when it was down to 1 lioness. She died in 2019 of a tick born illness, Babesiosis. Her daughter also died from this a year later.
- Rhulani & another older lioness, born around 2012, were the next oldest lionesses.
- wa Vusopfa (born 2013-2014) & her two daughters: These females formed a breakaway pride to avoid the Giraffe Male's takeover since her daughters were sired by the Black Dam male's collation.
- wa Vusopfa's sister: She stayed with the Giraffe Male
- Other lionesses that I'm not sure of

In 2020, Rhulani + other oldest lioness + wa Vusopfa's sister + one of Giraffe Male's daughters moved into Sandringham. As far as I know none of them made it out.

The lions that stayed in Thornybush was wa Vusopfa + her 2 daughters + the other daughter of the Giraffe male and the six sons of the Giraffe Male. This is the group that the Xikukustu and Mopaza took over after pushing out the young males. So about 4 females.

I hope one day we hear that Rhulani's group has been living in Sandringham and maybe has even joined the rest of the pride there, but we know that the Giraffe Male was killed, so I'm not optimistic about them.

They are not the pride with the biggest lion count, as that title goes to Giraffe pride. But they definitely do have over 20 members, as per the most recent report. That number has likely dropped since then because most are cubs. Not sure about if the Sandringham group rejoined or not, but they probably did, since the other groups territory is also in Sandringham now.
6 users Like Mdz123's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

(12-22-2022, 01:46 AM)Potato Wrote: Myambula pride is composed of 3 older females and 4 young females. I do not remember count of cubs, but for sure there are more than 11

I've read some of the Tanda Tula updates and They apparently have 25 members. Which now makes them the biggest pride innthe Timbavati region
5 users Like Mdz123's post

Tr1x24 Online
Top Contributor

Ok, so we know approx. how many members each pride has, but im interested about their ages, for example :

Myambulas :

- 3 females (born 20xx)
- 4 females (born 2018)
- xx cubs (born 2022)

Can we fill this up for rest of the prides? I understand there is prob not enough info for all of the prides, but for what we know.
7 users Like Tr1x24's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

Sumatra male and the Giraffe pride at Tanda Tula. PC: Mike Whatmore, Dec. 15, 2022

13 users Like Timbavati's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

10 users Like Potato's post