There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

T I N O Online
Moderators

This is an update of the 7th Birmingham breakaway young male from Thornybush guys.
He was seen quite close to Thornybush Game Lodge as well as Dyasons Camp a few days ago, not too far from the Monwana Pride whilst they were feeding on a buffalo a few days. When they saw him by first time he wasn't in great condition at all, looking very underfed and his one back leg is pretty mangled... I will get more updates about him soon.
8 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Online
Moderators

(08-20-2022, 01:59 AM)lionuk Wrote:
(08-19-2022, 11:09 PM)Timbavati Wrote:
(08-19-2022, 11:08 PM)Tonpa Wrote:
(08-19-2022, 11:00 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(08-19-2022, 12:48 PM)Tonpa Wrote: Birmingham Breakaway Males by Johan Smalman

*This image is copyright of its original author

Is the seventh, and eldest, still in poor health and separated from the other 6?

Yeah, not sure when the last sighting of him was

Thornybush rangers told me they saw him a few days ago

How was he doing and did the rangers see him with the pride?

Struggling and on his own.
5 users Like T I N O's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

How did the 7th Birmingham breakaway end up alone?? when did that happen??
1 user Likes afortich's post

Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

7 is far to large for a stable coalition. So perhaps he was to low on the picking order to stay.

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Many people have thought the Ross males were losing their dominance, yet they have managed to keep their territory every time so far. Still, we can’t help wondering what the future might look like as we watch the lion dynamics play out.

Recently these males are more regularly found on the southern and western parts of the reserve - with the Mbiri males around our eastern parts, often with a female or two from the Birmingham pride…

8 users Like Potato's post

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(08-20-2022, 01:07 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: 7 is far to large for a stable coalition. So perhaps he was to low on the picking order to stay.

When they left the pride, he was the oldest, most developed of the lot, my guess would be something else has happened to him, perhaps illness, perhaps injury. They are now saying he has a mangled leg, which I had not heard earlier, so no telling if this is a new injury, or the cause of his decline.
5 users Like BA0701's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

S8 Imbali at minute 11:05, impressive male!

4 users Like afortich's post

Italy Gabriele Offline

(08-20-2022, 07:53 PM)Potato Wrote: Many people have thought the Ross males were losing their dominance, yet they have managed to keep their territory every time so far. Still, we can’t help wondering what the future might look like as we watch the lion dynamics play out.

Recently these males are more regularly found on the southern and western parts of the reserve - with the Mbiri males around our eastern parts, often with a female or two from the Birmingham pride…

They are very beautiful when yawn.
1 user Likes Gabriele's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 08-21-2022, 05:10 AM by criollo2mil )

(08-20-2022, 09:57 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(08-20-2022, 01:07 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: 7 is far to large for a stable coalition. So perhaps he was to low on the picking order to stay.

When they left the pride, he was the oldest, most developed of the lot, my guess would be something else has happened to him, perhaps illness, perhaps injury. They are now saying he has a mangled leg, which I had not heard earlier, so no telling if this is a new injury, or the cause of his decline.

Here’s a pic from about 9 months or so back.  You can sort of (bit that well) see how his leg was starting to lose muscle.  

credit for picture is Johan Smalman

Attached Files Image(s)

8 users Like criollo2mil's post

Super Moderator

(08-21-2022, 04:14 AM)criollo2mil Wrote:

Here’s a pic from about 9 months or so back.  You can sort of (bit that well) see how his leg was starting to lose muscle.  Sorry I don’t have credit for picture

Wow, yeah, it is clearly atrophied for sure. I had no idea he'd been this bad for this long, so, whatever is going on with him, his struggle has been going on for an extended period. To me, that seems to point to this being an illness or something of the sort. If it was brought about due to his leg, I don't know he'd have lingered about in the brutal bush for this long. There was a time when he was about equally as impressive as BYM, before either of them left their prides. Possibly TB, given how it seems to always affect the legs.
7 users Like BA0701's post

T I N O Online
Moderators

(08-21-2022, 04:14 AM)criollo2mil Wrote:

Here’s a pic from about 9 months or so back.  You can sort of (bit that well) see how his leg was starting to lose muscle.  Sorry I don’t have credit for picture

Johan Adolf Smalman it's the original author. Great find, mate
4 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Online
Moderators

Up-close and personal with the Black dam male who sadly passed away on 22th August 2020, He was found dead by the guides on Saturday evening, 22th Aug 2020. He was seen hunting buffalo with the Giraffe pride of lions which unfortunately went wrong. He was badly gored by a buffalo and later he succumbed to his injuries. His legacy still lives on through Monwana and Giraffe pride. He was last seen crossing the Monwana river with an internal bleeding.

Born in January 2010 into the Black dam pride of lions. The Blackdam male is said to be, the biggest lion that has ever walked in Timbavati. After he passed away, his skull was collected and measured. Which has been confirmed that his skull is the third largest ever measured in Africa. A true beast of male lion!
Image credit: Ryno Vosloo

9 users Like T I N O's post

Hairy tummy Offline

There a great photo of him walking in front of a safari jeep, looks amazing on that
Rip BDM
4 users Like Hairy tummy's post

Super Moderator

(08-21-2022, 08:31 PM)Hairy tummy Wrote: There a great photo of him walking in front of a safari jeep, looks amazing on that
Rip BDM

This one? It's likely the most famous photos of him, since it gives us some idea of his enormous size.

8 users Like BA0701's post

T I N O Online
Moderators

(08-21-2022, 08:39 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(08-21-2022, 08:31 PM)Hairy tummy Wrote: There a great photo of him walking in front of a safari jeep, looks amazing on that
Rip BDM

This one? It's likely the most famous photos of him, since it gives us some idea of his enormous size.

Spot on my friend. He was a gorgeous boy
5 users Like T I N O's post