There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

United Kingdom lionuk Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-12-2021, 07:32 PM by lionuk )

(10-12-2021, 05:31 PM)Timbavati Wrote: He was chased into Ngala side. The Black dam males crossed over Ngala following a herd of buffalo. Interesting times ahead
I must say it's good to see a new picture of Scorro after a few weeks, though it seems he is still alone. Hopefully he stays safe in the meantime and that he will find himself a new partner or two soon. He needs a coalition to survive.
3 users Like lionuk's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Throwback on Black Dam male

"It is a massive male Lion, the biggest I have seen apart from some other back in 2010"

5 users Like Potato's post

South Africa Slayerd Offline

(10-13-2021, 02:20 AM)Potato Wrote: Throwback on Black Dam male

"It is a massive male Lion, the biggest I have seen apart from some other back in 2010"

2010? Old Birminghams, Ximpoko, Black Dams father. There was a lot of large lions in the Timbavati back than.
2 users Like Slayerd's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 10-13-2021, 03:43 AM by Potato )

(10-13-2021, 03:21 AM)Slayerd Wrote:

2010? Old Birminghams, Ximpoko, Black Dams father. There was a lot of large lions in the Timbavati back than.

It is not necessarily from Timbavati. AT the comment section you can see that guide seen plenty of lions throu out the years.

" I have seen most of the male Lions throughout the entire Greater Kruger. I would say that the Moria male from Kalama would be equal, the two Satara males, the Birmingham males, Charleston males were massive.
I once saw a dude on the S28 in 2020, he was at the time in control of the Vurhami pride, do not know him by name but a massive male.
LOL and then Casper is just special, seen him a few times, he is special??"

" Well, when I started guiding in Thornybush back in 2014 we had 3 Males on the property, The other two at the time had really nice manes, but their bodies weren't as big. When we opened or fence with Kruger National park in early 2017, a lot of males came in and out but none of them were as big as the Black Dam male, the Giraffe male, however, was a descent-sized male. I must say that the Charleston males in the southern parts of the Sand were just as big. They were big boys."

" Yes indeed I got to see them (note: Matimbas) and the Birhnigham males in the Northern Sands as well as for the Avoca males, Mapoza Males. I still love the Vurhami pride, they are awesome as well as the Nkuhuma pride."

" thanks for the good question. I reckon the Nhenha Birmingham was bigger than the Matimbas, at the time I last saw them, back in 2017. The Matimbas all had very good genes, similar in stature, only saw them going out of their prime."

"I reckon this Black Dam male was bigger than the BBoys. But the BBoys were more ruthless in nature and attitude"

"and yes the Giraffe male was a good looking male as well, same with the mapogos, only saw them once way back, they were really scary dudes!"
3 users Like Potato's post

South Africa Slayerd Offline

(10-13-2021, 03:35 AM)Potato Wrote:
(10-13-2021, 03:21 AM)Slayerd Wrote:

It is not necessarily from Timbavati. AT the comment section you can see that guide seen plenty of lions throu out the years.

" I have seen most of the male Lions throughout the entire Greater Kruger. I would say that the Moria male from Kalama would be equal, the two Satara males, the Birmingham males, Charleston males were massive.
I once saw a dude on the S28 in 2020, he was at the time in control of the Vurhami pride, do not know him by name but a massive male.
LOL and then Casper is just special, seen him a few times, he is special??"

" Well, when I started guiding in Thornybush back in 2014 we had 3 Males on the property, The other two at the time had really nice manes, but their bodies weren't as big. When we opened or fence with Kruger National park in early 2017, a lot of males came in and out but none of them were as big as the Black Dam male, the Giraffe male, however, was a descent-sized male. I must say that the Charleston males in the southern parts of the Sand were just as big. They were big boys."

" Yes indeed I got to see them (note: Matimbas) and the Birhnigham males in the Northern Sands as well as for the Avoca males, Mapoza Males. I still love the Vurhami pride, they are awesome as well as the Nkuhuma pride."

" thanks for the good question. I reckon the Nhenha Birmingham was bigger than the Matimbas, at the time I last saw them, back in 2017. The Matimbas all had very good genes, similar in stature, only saw them going out of their prime."

"I reckon this Black Dam male was bigger than the BBoys. But the BBoys were more ruthless in nature and attitude"

"and yes the Giraffe male was a good looking male as well, same with the mapogos, only saw them once way back, they were really scary dudes!"
Oh thought he was talking about the Timbavati. Wow this dude has seen a lot of lions. Interesting hearing his takes on the sizes.
3 users Like Slayerd's post

Canada Mdz123 Offline
Contributor

Dreadlocks Mapogo was said to be the largest among the coalition, any sources that compares him to other lions?
1 user Likes Mdz123's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(10-13-2021, 04:46 AM)Mdz123 Wrote: Dreadlocks Mapogo was said to be the largest among the coalition, any sources that compares him to other lions?

Rob the Ranger said that Selati #1 was bigger than the Mapogos and Majingilanes were bigger than Selati #1. On the other hand James tyrrel from Londolozi said Kruger males were definitelly bigger than Majingilanes and one of the Sabi Sabi guides said that the 2 last Mapogos (Mak and PB) were larger than Kruger males. So it is quite hard to get around all those estimations.
3 users Like Potato's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Two of the young Kudyela males were found yesterday in a very playful mood, their playfulness gave us the perfect photographic opportunities.

*This image is copyright of its original author
4 users Like Potato's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Nearly every male lion is at one point said to be lion in the reserve. So it just means they are average sized.
Without a measurement under sedation at the same point of life. Its nearly impossible to know. 

Its also a rather pointless discusion IMHO.
2 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(10-13-2021, 01:26 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Without a measurement under sedation at the same point of life. Its nearly impossible to know. 
Yup

(10-13-2021, 01:26 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Nearly every male lion is at one point said to be lion in the reserve. So it just means they are average sized.
Well... guide look at lions through the prism of other lions the know and have seen so it is normal that from one guide some lion individual will be big and for other guide same lion might not look as impressive as he has seen even significantly bigger individual(s). Also Mala Mala ragners at Mala Mala live mentioned while talking about lion size that it is difficult to judge ions and leopards size as their shape changes so dynamicly depending of how much they eat at the direct peroid of time at you can see some individual at and point and think "wow, he is so big" and you can see same individual another time and you might think "he is not that big". That is why I always value opinions of guides which worked with direct lions for longer peroid of time over opinions of guides and photographers which seen direct lions like one or twice.
2 users Like Potato's post

Contributor

Black Dam Male
Photo credit: Johan Smalman

9 users Like lionuk's post

Contributor

In my opinion, that BDM looks different from the others, such an interesting looking face. 
2 users Like lionuk's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

The Timbavati male and the Black dam male in Thornybush
" target="_blank" class="post_link">
7 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 10-13-2021, 06:13 PM by T I N O )

The smaller-Maned Mbiri male a couple of days ago seen in the east of Ngala Tented Camp
The bigger-maned Mbiri male was a little bit further north east with 12 members of the Skorro pride
Photo credits: Roy Glasspool

7 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

" target="_blank" class="post_link">

Expressing his dominance and communicating his whereabouts on
4 users Like T I N O's post