There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(08-31-2021, 01:50 AM)Tonpa Wrote: As of right now what prides do they control? Just the Skorros currently?

Yes, they only control the Skorro pride, as now the Mayambula/Vlak pride was seen in Klaserie and have been mating with the Skorro males and the last Nharhu male.
4 users Like Timbavati's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Update on Monwana pride cubs

Over the past few months it’s been very special watching the cubs of our local lion pride develop and come into their own. Over the past couple of weeks there have been even further exciting developments.
Following the first 2 cubs that were born in February and the litter of five that were born at the end of March, another 3 very young cubs have recently been discovered! Having unfortunately lost the little female from the first litter to natural causes, this means we are currently blessed with 9 cubs! We find our famous male lion Mapoza spending more and more time with these cubs, providing protection and security as well as being a father figure, ensuring that his regal bloodline continues.
We have also recently discovered that the fourth lioness from our local pride is also quite heavily pregnant which means even more cubs! This bodes well for the future of the lion population within Thornybush and in turn will help regulate the ever increasing hyena numbers within the reserve. As with everything in nature, there are ebbs and flows but nature always manages to keep everything in balance.
Provided the majority of the cubs make it to adulthood, lion sightings are going to be fantastic in the near future, and it will be very fulfilling watching as these cute young cubs develop into adulthood.

*This image is copyright of its original author

7 users Like Potato's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Kudyela Pride cubs sired by the Sark Males

5 users Like Tonpa's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Any info about Kudyela offspring/young males sired by Machatons? They should be reaching adulthood around this time.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 09-03-2021, 12:37 AM by Tonpa )

Found this on facebook from the 30th of August, one eared Kudyela young male - Pondoro Game Lodge

This one from March, same fb page 

8 users Like Tonpa's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Good morning from Hosi

As one half of our indomitable male coalition, Hosi and his partner Socha are now proud fathers of 18 River pride youngsters! Lately, two of the eldest sub-adult males were seen being pushed away from the pride - a natural process that happens when young males reach around 2-3 years old. However, this means their mother will likely be ready to mate again, if she hasn't already. The exciting lion dynamics in the Klaserie reserve continue!

6 users Like Potato's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

"The Dundee male in all his glory with a large kudu bull he managed to take down in a drainage line. Unfortunately not to long after this he too met his match. R.I.P big boy.

We going to miss seeing this beautiful male around the eastblock."

"He apparently had a run in with two males next door on ndlopfu injuring him and leaving him vunurable to hyenas."

5 users Like Tonpa's post

lionuk Offline
Contributor

The remaining Monwana male still going strong.
Photo credit: L. Walter

5 users Like lionuk's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 09-03-2021, 05:53 PM by Tr1x24 )

(09-03-2021, 02:02 PM)Tonpa Wrote: "The Dundee male in all his glory with a large kudu bull he managed to take down in a drainage line. Unfortunately not to long after this he too met his match. R.I.P big boy.

"He apparently had a run in with two males next door on ndlopfu injuring him and leaving him vunurable to hyenas."

Oh no, another beautiful, prime male dead..

Any more info what happened? I assume Hosi and Socha are responsible for this, as they have territory near him..

Life for lone males is really hard.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(09-03-2021, 02:02 PM)Tonpa Wrote: "The Dundee male in all his glory with a large kudu bull he managed to take down in a drainage line. Unfortunately not to long after this he too met his match. R.I.P big boy.

He was a big and healthy male, Unfortunately he died too early. He was seen a few times with the Splinter pride in Klaserie.
5 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(09-03-2021, 05:52 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:

Oh no, another beautiful, prime male dead..

Any more info what happened? I assume Hosi and Socha are responsible for this, as they have territory near him..
Ndlopfu is a neighbouring property of Ntsiri. The Skorro and old River Pride males are seen regularly there. Then, It's very unlikely that Hosi and Socha pushed into Ntsiri/Umbabat.

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 09-03-2021, 06:24 PM by Tr1x24 )

(09-03-2021, 05:56 PM)Timbavati Wrote: Ndlopfu is a neighbouring property of Ntsiri. The Skorro and old River Pride males are seen regularly there. Then, It's very unlikely that Hosi and Socha pushed into Ntsiri/Umbabat.

Oh i dont know those areas, ty..

Hosi and Socha should be south of Dundee then..

Hearing that his dead is not recent, yet few months ago..
5 users Like Tr1x24's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(09-03-2021, 06:07 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(09-03-2021, 05:56 PM)Timbavati Wrote: Ndlopfu is a neighbouring property of Ntsiri. The Skorro and old River Pride males are seen regularly there. Then, It's very unlikely that Hosi and Socha pushed into Ntsiri/Umbabat.

Oh i dont know those areas, ty..

Hosi and Socha should be south of Dundee then..

Hearing that his dead is not recent, yet few months ago..

Always a pleasure, I and Chad we've been talking about the death of the male lion found on Ndlopfu. Both of us thought about the Dundee male, so, it look like we were accurate with that
4 users Like Timbavati's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(09-03-2021, 06:45 PM)Timbavati Wrote: Always a pleasure, I and Chad we've been talking about the death of the male lion found on Ndlopfu. Both of us thought about the Dundee male, so, it look like we were accurate with that

When i think about it, i remember rumors that there was a dead lion found there, but nobody seems to know who it was..
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

The Balule females had cubs at that time.