There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(08-17-2021, 03:54 AM)Mohawk Wrote:
(08-15-2021, 11:44 PM)Timbavati Wrote: As far I know, all of the Matimba's were still together in almost late 2013. In fact, the Nsemani/Mbiri male resemblances quite to Ginger too. Which lead myself to think that he also could have mated with the Mbiri females at that time. Btw, great words @Mohawk it's great read different kind of opinions. Thank you for your contribution.

I appreciate your contributions as well, my friend.

Do you know what happened to the Skybed Pride?  Where was there original home range?

The Skybed pride has a territory which stretches from south of the H7 Orpen - Satara road, northwards along the Timbavati River. The current Skybed sons that were seen in Orpen Camp in the first week of August, they were with the Skybed pride in 2018.
5 users Like T I N O's post

Venezuela Cunaguaro Offline

A scrapper of a lion!! 
Such a look from the ever intimidating, lesser maned Mbiri male. He doesn’t just have the intimidating look, he also has the reputation to back it up. A reputation he’s earned! 

Image credits: Adam Zimmerman Photography.
Kruger National Park.
August 2021.

*This image is copyright of its original author
10 users Like Cunaguaro's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

A fantastic sighting of the bigger-maned Mbiri male as he scent marked and patrolled the area just outside Maroela camp on the way to H7 in Kruger National Park 
Photo credits: Sipho Mabunda

11 users Like T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

The Black dam male - Confirmed as one of the biggest males that ever walked in Timbavati! 
Photo credits: Ziggi Hugo 

10 users Like T I N O's post

United Kingdom lionuk Offline
Contributor

The remaining Monwana male.
"This lion looked up in the sky and made a straight line to where the vultures were descending. Once he arrived he chased the hyenas and vultures off a wildebeest carcass." Photo credit: Lukas Walter

8 users Like lionuk's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(08-19-2021, 02:26 PM)lionuk Wrote: The remaining Monwana male.
"This lion looked up in the sky and made a straight line to where the vultures were descending. Once he arrived he chased the hyenas and vultures off a wildebeest carcass." Photo credit: Lukas Walter

He must have been in a huge scrap with either Sumatra or Hercules.
2 users Like Potato's post

Contributor

(08-19-2021, 02:55 PM)Potato Wrote:

He must have been in a huge scrap with either Sumatra or Hercules.
Probably, yes. He has a battered face, even though he still has a pink tip of his nose.
2 users Like lionuk's post

Contributor

(08-18-2021, 09:13 PM)Timbavati Wrote: A fantastic sighting of the bigger-maned Mbiri male as he scent marked and patrolled the area just outside Maroela camp on the way to H7 in Kruger National Park 

Such an impressive looking male! I see he has a black patch on his right rear side. Actually, I asked a ranger about it and he said, "I can't say I've seen it anywhere except on hip-scar majingilane and that was from an old wound". 
3 users Like lionuk's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

He must have been on a scrap with the Giraffe pride or the young Giraffe male who was spending time in Walkers recently. I don't think Hercules and Sumatra males were involved in this. Either of the two  could kill him if they fight with him.
Pics are from 10th August
1 user Likes T I N O's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

(08-19-2021, 05:10 PM)lionuk Wrote:
(08-18-2021, 09:13 PM)Timbavati Wrote: A fantastic sighting of the bigger-maned Mbiri male as he scent marked and patrolled the area just outside Maroela camp on the way to H7 in Kruger National Park 

Such an impressive looking male! I see he has a black patch on his right rear side. Actually, I asked a ranger about it and he said, "I can't say I've seen it anywhere except on hip-scar majingilane and that was from an old wound". 
He is a quite good looking male. The tufts on the elbows makes him look much bigger and impressive to. Wonder, if the Mayambula sub-adult males will inherited that...
3 users Like T I N O's post

United States Cath2020 Offline

(08-19-2021, 05:10 PM)lionuk Wrote:

I'm surprised a ranger would say that.  I've noticed this same black patch on so many adult lions, it's amazing.  It's everywhere you look almost.  It's only on the rise.  Is there no investigation as to what is causing this phenomenon?
4 users Like Cath2020's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(08-19-2021, 08:27 PM)Cath2020 Wrote: I'm surprised a ranger would say that.  I've noticed this same black patch on so many adult lions, it's amazing.  It's everywhere you look almost.  It's only on the rise.  Is there no investigation as to what is causing this phenomenon?

Apparently no.

Somebody need to ask some vets what this thing are..
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

(08-19-2021, 05:11 PM)Timbavati Wrote: I don't think Hercules and Sumatra males were involved in this. Either of the two  could kill him if they fight with him.
I do not think so at all. In 2vs1 the resault would be obvious, but in 1vs1 there would have to be some huge gab in strenght between the two that one would kill the other. Killing in 1vs1 is incredibly inlikely scenario in 1vs1 between 2 healty (lame back leg of Monwana male should not matter at all in 1vs1), being in good condition lions. 
(08-19-2021, 05:11 PM)Timbavati Wrote: He must have been on a scrap with the Giraffe pride or the young Giraffe male who was spending time in Walkers recently

There is no reason why he would fight Giraffe pride or Giraffe male. Also so much cuts on male lion's face hardly could be done be some females.
1 user Likes Potato's post

Poland Potato Offline
Contributor

Young Avoca male

4 users Like Potato's post

T I N O Offline
Moderators

Update: The Monwana male was seen chasing a young male (most likely) ,,The Giraffe young male; who was seen feeding of a wildebeest carcass in the same area too.
Image below context: A recent capture of the Monwana male at Kambaku Lodges in Timbavati.
Photo credits: Carolyn Abbott

6 users Like T I N O's post