There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Lions of Timbavati

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

*This image is copyright of its original author

His majestic! - The famous Hercules male resting at Orpen Gate in KNP,Hes prob one of the most beautiful male lions around the Kruger National Park,A trilogy son with all the letters!
Photo credit to: RavenKnee Wildlife Photography
KNP-Orpen Gate,Posted: 26/05/2020.
2 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

Hercules with one of the Skorro lionesses Orpen Gate, Kruger National Park
Photo credit to: Nics Wildlife
KNP-Orpen Gate,Posted: 19/03/2020

1 user Likes Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

The younger Mbiri male
Photo credit to. Z. Jade
KNP-Orpen Gate,Posted: 12/02/2020

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

Hercules and Sumatra males with the whole Skorro pride not far from the H7
Photo credit to: Paula Gwynne
KNP-Orpen Gate,Posted: 29/01/2020

3 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

This incredible male lion is known as Maposa. His milky blue eye will tell a thousand tales, but it is believed to be from a giraffe kick during an unsuccessful hunt many years ago. While there is speculation of glaucoma in his older age this has no effect on his hunting ability, and makes him a bucket list sighting
Photo credit to: Rudi Hulshof
Thornybush Game Reserve,Posted: 13/09/2020 "OLD PHOTO"

Poland Potato Online
Contributor

"The younger Mbiri male"

I must say that this term is hurting my eyes a bit. There is no difference in age between two Mbiri male more than couple of weeks. Both were born in late 2013 Here you have photos of Mbiris from September 2016:

Larger Mbiri most definitelly isn't even 7 years old yet. 
2 users Like Potato's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

(09-13-2020, 08:52 PM)Potato Wrote: "The younger Mbiri male"

I must say that this term is hurting my eyes a bit. There is no difference in age between two Mbiri male more than couple of weeks. Both were born in late 2013 Here you have photos of Mbiris from September 2016:

Larger Mbiri most definitelly isn't even 7 years old yet. 

I'm just saying what the ranger says,Also Cathan Moore has called him as the "younger Mbiri male"Besides I believe there not are any problem,I'm sure that everyone knows the ages of them and just know that is know as the younger Mbiri male due his small mane that he has a few years ago,meanwhile his bro was a beast and used to seems much older,but isn't it!

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

Also,If exist the case that the Mbiri "younger" born a couple weeks later than the larger Mbiri male,so the nickname younger Mbiri male should be the correct one,You don think!?,I'm just saying,from my point

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

One of the middle aged females (+- 7 years old) from the Birmingham pride
Photo credit to: Shaun Marshall
Ngala-Timbavati,Posted: Sept 13.,2020 "OLD PHOTO"

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

Throwback with the Timbavati male who did a coalition with the Black dam male and Marvin
Photo credit to: Willem Bosch
Thornybush,Posted: 13/09/2020 "OLD PHOTO"

Timbavati Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 09-13-2020, 09:58 PM by Timbavati )

Throwback to 2012 at Shindzela Tented Camp with the RockFig male,who currently dominates the Nsemani dam area with his coalition partner the Older Mbiri male
Photo credit to: M.Grinker
Shindzela Tented Camp-Timbavati,Posted: 06/07/2012 "OLD PHOTO"

5 users Like Timbavati's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 09-13-2020, 09:58 PM by Timbavati )

A lioness from the Avoca pride (mother of the 2 Xikukutsu males) on the prowl at Shindzela Tented Camp 
Photo credit to: Chris Kohler & Erin Russe
Shindzela Tented Camp-Timbavati,Posted: 20/07/2019 "OLD PHOTO"
4 users Like Timbavati's post

Poland Potato Online
Contributor

"Besides I believe there not are any problem,I'm sure that everyone knows the ages of them "

For older users might not be a problem, but for newer ones it surely will bring a lot of confusion especially if that term will be repeated over and over again.

" just know that is know as the younger Mbiri male due his small mane that he has a few years ago,meanwhile his bro was a beast and used to seems much older,but isn't it"

This is exactly why some rangers called smaller Mbiri a younger ones. They were judging by the mane size without knowing their origins.

"Also,If exist the case that the Mbiri "younger" born a couple weeks later than the larger Mbiri male,so the nickname younger Mbiri male should be the correct one,You don think!?,I'm just saying,from my point"

It isn't said that larger Mbiri is from older litter. It might be other way around and the smaller Mbiri might be a bit older or they might be from the same litter and be exact same age.
1 user Likes Potato's post

Timbavati Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 09-14-2020, 04:18 AM by Timbavati )

1) - Well,I think some of the new followers of the lion dynamics in the KNP/Greater Kruger also call him as younger Mbiri,so not seems to be much problem for now.

2 - I think,the rangers of Timbavati are very good update and aware of the origins of the Mbiri boys,specially Christof Schoeman who spent a couple of years in the Manyeleti and saw the two Mbiri boys growing with each passing day,I believe more than my own personal opinion,It's also from the rangers

Timbavati Offline
Moderators

The Mapoza male  - a survivor on the move
Photo credit to: Mark Dumbleton
Timbavati-Thornybush,Posted: 14/09/2020.