There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Tanzania (Serengeti, Ngorongoro and others)

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

Victoria Coombe: " Driving across the vast plains of the Serengeti at first light, we came across this male and his brother heading back to the pride after their nighttime adventures.

It’s what African safari dreams are made of!!
For me personally, there is nothing more exhilarating than finding a pride of lions at first light. The interactions between the pride members in those early hours is wonderful to watch. Greeting, play fighting, more greetings, often the females will have reconnected with their cubs after keeping them safely hidden throughout the night... just magical!!
Photographically it can often be messy. So in those moments, I really try to remember to put my camera down and just watch, taking in the sights and sounds of the pride, these are the memories of Africa I find myself thinking back to most often! .
My wish would be for everyone to be able to experience that just once in their lives! "

3 users Like Spalea's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Crater Manes in all their Glory

Daniel Tlaysa Daniel

*This image is copyright of its original author

5 users Like Pckts's post

Wildanimal Lover

Daniel Rosengren: " The real reason lions have cubs. ?
A lioness resting her head on one of her cubs in the Serengeti National Park, Tanzania. "

Wildanimal Lover

Zhayynn James: " Lord of the Flies. While the lion might find them annoying, I love the buzz that they bring to this image. Oh yes, pun intended! "

Wildanimal Lover

Zhayynn James: " An alpha male lion lifts his head in what looks like a grimace, smelling the air, tracing the scent of the females in the pride to know if they’re in heat. This behaviour is called a Flehmen Response. There is a specialized organ at the base of the nasal cavity that receives the chemical traces of the pheromones and determines the reproductive status of the females. "

Wildanimal Lover

Daniel Rosengren: " The Vumbi lion pride walking across the seemingly endless grass plains of Serengeti National Park, Tanzania. "

5 users Like Spalea's post

239Pu Offline

Look at the size of his head !
8 users Like 239Pu's post

Wildanimal Lover

Daniel Rosengren: " A pride of lions resting in the Ngorongoro Crater. Like all cats, lions spend most of the day resting, conserving energy for when they need it. Despite being called a crater, the Ngorongoro Crater is not a crater, it is a caldera. The difference? A crater is created by an explosion, like an erupting volcano, or an hard impact, like a meteorite. A caldera is created when a hollow volcano collapses into itself. The Ngorongoro caldera is about 610 meters deep and 2 kilometers wide and the caldera floor is at 1,800 meters above sea level.

The soils in the caldera are very rich in nutrients which makes it extremely rich in wildlife. It has the highest density of large carnivores in the world, mainly hyenas and lions, but also leopards and cheetahs. There are about 7,000 wildebeest in there and they do not take part in the famous wildebeest migration taking place in the neighbouring Serenget and Maasai Mara. There is also a relatively large number of the critically endangered black rhino, but there are no giraffes nor crocodiles in this caldera.
Tanzania. "

7 users Like Spalea's post

Wildanimal Lover

Daniel Rosengren: " When lions mate, it usually ends with the female turning around and slapping the male. This is actually because the male organ is barbed and it hurts the female when it is pulled out. This pain is needed as it stimulates ovulation.

The mating act only lasts for a few seconds at the time, but on average, they do it every 20 minutes for up to five days straight. This means that there is no time for hunting or eating during this period, only mating and napping in between. That means that they can copulate more than 300 times in a few days.
Serengeti National Park, Tanzania. "

2 users Like Spalea's post

Wildanimal Lover

Zhayynn James: " In the deepest, darkest depths of the jungle, feline eyes are watching like smouldering embers. "

Venezuela titose Offline

¡Enorme bestia bruta!
¡Bobo junior / Namiri macho en las llanuras orientales del Serengeti!
Parque Nacional del Serengeti, Tanzania
Por: Mohamed Hassan
https://www.instagram.com/moodieshots/

8 users Like titose's post

Wildanimal Lover

David Yarrow: " The Cure ⁣

It’s #WorldLionDay

During most summers, the Serengeti in Tanzania is defined by the traffic and some of the serenity of these endless plains can be lost. It is considered the crown jewel of the East African game reserves and - in my view - deservedly so. But that status comes with a price - tourists and jeeps - hundreds of them.⁣

But not so during the Covid 19 pandemic of 2020. We took one of the first international flights in and unsurprisingly found virtually no one to be here. The swab testing logistics may be a little tiresome, but the light footprint is offering unprecedented opportunities to work alone in the field. In the vastness of the Eastern Serengeti, there are currently few humans and a huge number of lions. For those that are here, conditions for film making are perfect. ⁣

We sat with this stunning big male lion on the Utafiti kopjes from sunrise one morning. No other jeeps were anywhere in the region and so when he moved, we could adapt quickly without being inconsiderate to the line of sight of others. At about 7.45 am he saw a potential prey and with his eyes full of intent, he set off from the rocks above us. I had my chance, when he was still higher than my camera.⁣

The angle and the line of the rock face work for me, but the real bonus is his rockstar aesthetics. He would not look out of place headlining at Glastonbury with The Cure. It’s an apposite name for 2020. "

1 user Likes Spalea's post

Wildanimal Lover

" Happy #WorldLionDay. ome to 40% of the world’s remaining wild #lions, Tanzania has long been considered a leader in lion conservation. WildAid's Simba Ni PSA calls on Tanzanians to help save lions and "Be The Pride". you can learn more about how to help here: bethepride.com "

4 users Like Spalea's post

239Pu Offline

6 users Like 239Pu's post

Wildanimal Lover

David Yarrow: " Serengeti Happy Hour⁣

My favourite quote on photography is so simple. It comes from the mind of a greatly respected Nat Geo cameraman called Jim Richardson. He said “if you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff”⁣

It seems so banal — but it is also “bang on” accurate. The lens may look both ways and the photographer’s soul, ability and experience plays a big role, but let’s face it - the lens looks outward more than it looks inward. Not even Ansel Adams could have taken a new picture of the Eiffel Tower that the world needs to see. ⁣

I take no credit for this image. It maybe quite extraordinary and may never be seen again, but all I had to do was point my camera lens at the subject. So who is to credit?⁣

I would give credit to my intelligent guide in the eastern Serengeti - Leverd Mgomwende and also the conservation NGOs in Tanzania and beyond who are helping the lion survive. Lions are under huge pressure and this is an uplifting photograph. Most of all though, I dedicate it to my long term friend - South Africa’s Kevin Richardson - @lionwhisperersa. He is the lion’s champion in Africa and that is quite a responsibility.⁣

I see 20 lion at the bar. That’s just nuts. "