There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lions of Southeast Africa (including Kenya, Uganda, Mozambique and Zambia)

United States afortich Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 04-15-2023, 08:08 AM by afortich )

Loonkito, one of the greatest warriors. 
14 years old Loonkito defeated a young intruder in 2017. The legend says "It is not the size of the lion in a fight but the size of the fight inside the lion" (min 3:04). 

7 users Like afortich's post

United States T_Ferguson Online

GOD sighting!!!  Loonkito!!

Just special that this guy draws breath another day every day.
5 users Like T_Ferguson's post

Mapokser Online
Contributor

@afortich This is a cool phrase no doubt but isn't Loonkito the bigger lion in the fight?

Contributor

(04-28-2023, 08:25 AM)Mapokser Wrote: @afortich This is a cool phrase no doubt but isn't Loonkito the bigger lion in the fight?

@Mapokser, I'm not sure if Loonkito is biggest lion out those 2 my friend. However, I interpret from the phrase that the most important factor in a fight is your "WILL" to survive, win, defeat, protect, etc. And size, age play a secondary role in many cases.
Additionally, I've seen that frequently happening in people's street fights.
3 users Like afortich's post

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(04-28-2023, 08:25 AM)Mapokser Wrote: @afortich This is a cool phrase no doubt but isn't Loonkito the bigger lion in the fight?

The lion on top, the one furthest to the right when they stand up and walk away from each other, appears to my eyes to be Loonkito. Very difficult to tell from the angle/distance of the camera, but the silhouette, shape of his head, mane, and body certainly seems to match him.
4 users Like BA0701's post

Mwk85 Offline

Old boy passed on the 10th of May. Haven't seen anything on exact cause but I'm gonna go with old age for obvious reasons.

6 users Like Mwk85's post

(05-11-2023, 06:40 PM)Mwk85 Wrote: Old boy passed on the 10th of May. Haven't seen anything on exact cause but I'm gonna go with old age for obvious reasons.

I was just coming here to post this.  What a life.  Sad.

Romania Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

" The oldest wild lion Loonkito died yesterday at the age of 20. He was a true warrior and successfully spread his genes all over Amboseli NP despite his age and the younger, dangerous males that surrounded him. He is the most tough lion I have ever known, a true legend. I expected this, as in the last pictures I saw he looked exhausted, having lost almost all of his mane, but I am still very sad. RIP my boy Sad
Credit to Philip J. Briggs.
"

https://www.youtube.com/post/UgkxvDKvtB2...a-tYnJVpIa

*This image is copyright of its original author
7 users Like Spalea's post

Contributor

R.I.P king Loonkito. Died yesterday at 19 years old.

5 users Like afortich's post

BigLion39 Offline

RIP legend, Loonkito!
2 users Like BigLion39's post

( This post was last modified: 05-12-2023, 05:35 PM by T_Ferguson )

There are reports coming in that Loonkito may have been speared.  That will anger me a great deal if true.  There are news reports I am trying to track down that talk about the oldest lion in Amboseli being speared.

https://nation.africa/kenya/counties/kaj...rk-4231892
1 user Likes T_Ferguson's post

Contributor

(05-12-2023, 05:34 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: There are reports coming in that Loonkito may have been speared.  That will anger me a great deal if true.  There are news reports I am trying to track down that talk about the oldest lion in Amboseli being speared.

If this is true, it is unacceptable and frustrating.
1 user Likes afortich's post

Mwk85 Offline

(05-12-2023, 08:58 PM)afortich Wrote:
(05-12-2023, 05:34 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: There are reports coming in that Loonkito may have been speared.  That will anger me a great deal if true.  There are news reports I am trying to track down that talk about the oldest lion in Amboseli being speared.

Unfortunately it does appear to be true as this is just one of the four different posts I've seen in regards to his death. Zeno Safaris and a couple of people on the ground in Kenya have all stated the same thing and even at least one news outlet in Kenya has covered it as well. For me, it would be hard to believe that all of them would be incorrect. Damn right shame that a wild animal managed to live that long just to end up dying by the hands of man.

4 users Like Mwk85's post

(05-12-2023, 10:59 PM)Mwk85 Wrote:
(05-12-2023, 08:58 PM)afortich Wrote:

Unfortunately it does appear to be true as this is just one of the four different posts I've seen in regards to his death. Zeno Safaris and a couple of people on the ground in Kenya have all stated the same thing and even at least one news outlet in Kenya has covered it as well. For me, it would be hard to believe that all of them would be incorrect. Damn right shame that a wild animal managed to live that long just to end up dying by the hands of man.

I think what angers me.... I mean... I get it, if I were a farmer, and something was eating my livelihood, yeah, I likely would be driven to that as well.  But the claims are that he jumped a fence.  There are reports from rangers in the area that they were expecting him to die soon anyway because he could barely walk.  Also the one report where the reports of the herders saying kill them all... It's sad.  I just don't know what to do about it.  We've taken away all their land.  The answers are above my ability to resolve or think about honestly.
3 users Like T_Ferguson's post

Oman Lycaon Offline
أسد الأطلس
Moderators

What a shame looks like things are going downhill in Kenya.
2 users Like Lycaon's post