There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lions of Southeast Africa (including Kenya, Uganda, Mozambique and Zambia)

Romania Cath2020 Offline
( This post was last modified: 08-06-2020, 09:56 PM by Cath2020 )

(08-04-2020, 02:28 AM)Spalea Wrote: Marlon du Toit: " Now here’s a funky-looking male lion for you. Notice the strange colouration? Well, this make lion’s name is “Ginger” and he walks the Mfuwe Lodge region of South Luangwa.

My friend and guest @megaaania got my out to guide her on a private safari in 2019, and we found this striking male lion during South Luangwa’s emerald season a number of times.
You see, his reddish colour is a result of “partial leucism”. There’s a lack of melanin production in the skin cells but not enough to be completely leucistic, resulting in this interesting colour type. Even the tail, typically black-tipped, in this lion is white.
It’s always interesting to come across unique animals such as this when on safaris & adventures.
Thanks to Mfuwe Lodge @bushcampcompany for taking such good care of us."

Yep, Ginger!  His partner is Garlic.... Ginger and Garlic are quite well-known in their territory.  It's interesting that he partnered with Garlic, a lion 2 years younger from the same pride.  Ginger originally left with 2 other litter-mates but was seen years later alone.  He then partnered with his much younger kin buddy.  One of his brothers actually looked like a leopard cub from afar!  Never seen such unique colors in lions.  G&G are now 12/10 years old.

These guys came up against the Hollywood Boys (from the Hollywood Pride, featured in several documentaries), I believe.   Not sure if they succeeded in taking over Garlic and Ginger's pride or what happened overall.  Updates are very scarce, it seems.
4 users Like Cath2020's post

United Kingdom Spalea Offline
Wildanimal Lover

Growling ? In close-up...

3 users Like Spalea's post

Wildanimal Lover

Love me tender...

4 users Like Spalea's post

Wildanimal Lover

Marlon du Toit: " I just love moments like this, a young male lion walking right by our car. He could have taken any route as we were on a big open part of the Luangwa River, yet he chose to walk in for a closer look.

He is full-bellied after eating a hippo and is on his way to the river for a drink.
A safari like this in South Luangwa National Park @shentonsafaris will change your life, very special experience! "

Wildanimal Lover

Victoria Coombe: " When you’re the smallest cub in the pride, the safest place to hang out is tucked in tight with mum... "

2 users Like Spalea's post

Mohawk4 Offline
( This post was last modified: 08-23-2020, 01:35 PM by Mohawk4 )

Sirikoi
King of Nairobi

Credits ebrahim wildlife photography

*This image is copyright of its original author
4 users Like Mohawk4's post

Wildanimal Lover

Sachin Rai: " He stared at a herd of buffalo from the hill before descending and walking right past them. Wonder what was running in his mind :) "

4 users Like Spalea's post

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

Anyone know who this massive male is? Video claims he is the biggest lion on the Mara, but doesn't identify him. I know the video is 11 months old, but it might well still be relevant. Thanks!

4 users Like BA0701's post

BigLion39 Offline

@BA0701.... that is Olerai. Hes in a coalition with his bro Olkiti and they control the Oldikdik pride among others. They both are truly gorgeous! If I'm not mistaken there were other brothers that disappeared years ago and these 2 big guys survive on!
2 users Like BigLion39's post

United States BA0701 Online
Super Moderator

(08-31-2020, 03:47 PM)BigLion39 Wrote: @BA0701.... that is Olerai. Hes in a coalition with his bro Olkiti and they control the Oldikdik pride among others. They both are truly gorgeous! If I'm not mistaken there were other brothers that disappeared years ago and these 2 big guys survive on!

Thank you for that @BigLion39 I had never heard of either of them, but agree entirely, he is gorgeous, truly impressive. Very much appreciate the assist my friend!
2 users Like BA0701's post

Wildanimal Lover

Harman Singh Heer: " The last light reflected in her eyes like dying embers on a moonless night... "

Wildanimal Lover

Story of a legendary coalition in the National park of Nairobi in Kenya, close to the city and having only 100-150 km2. That can explain some unfortunate accidents when one of these males come to roam outside the park. I don't like to see this sort of pictures. 

2 users Like Spalea's post

Leo Aslan Offline
Banned

The world oldest living male lion

1 user Likes Leo Aslan's post

Leo Aslan Offline
Banned

The most famous lions of Zambia: Ginger & Garlic

4 users Like Leo Aslan's post

United States Pckts Offline
Bigcat Enthusiast

Topi Pride from Masai Mara