There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Brazil T Rabbit Offline

Mala mala update confirm an lone male lion around 5  years at southern part charleston. Maybe is the talamati again.

Austria Lionpower Offline

(02-23-2018, 09:04 AM)sik94 Wrote: I am almost certain this is the talamati that partnered up with the mhangenis, compared the image with an older image in the coalitions of knp thread and both seem to have a that prominent horizontal dark line across the pink part of the nose. Considering they were reported around that southern sabi sands area quite a few times before they disappeared and the other 2 talamaties being reported more north of sabi sands, leads me to believe its him.The 2 mhangenis must be close by some where. Btw, I have to say that matimba offsprings are some quality specimens, they are not lankly scraggly looking lions but athletic muscular lions.

I share the same opinion. Matimba Offsprings are looking very sharp. Junior is one of the "best" looking lions I've seen lately. Unfortunately the 3 Talamati Males got separated. They would've formed a very strong coalition. Apart from that I only know the Mbiri Male as an offspring of the Matimbas. The Tsalala sub adult male isn't alive anymore I suppose.

United States vinodkumarn Offline
Vinod Lion Enthusiast

(02-23-2018, 11:27 PM)Lionpower Wrote:
(02-23-2018, 09:04 AM)sik94 Wrote: I am almost certain this is the talamati that partnered up with the mhangenis, compared the image with an older image in the coalitions of knp thread and both seem to have a that prominent horizontal dark line across the pink part of the nose. Considering they were reported around that southern sabi sands area quite a few times before they disappeared and the other 2 talamaties being reported more north of sabi sands, leads me to believe its him.The 2 mhangenis must be close by some where. Btw, I have to say that matimba offsprings are some quality specimens, they are not lankly scraggly looking lions but athletic muscular lions.

I share the same opinion. Matimba Offsprings are looking very sharp. Junior is one of the "best" looking lions I've seen lately. Unfortunately the 3 Talamati Males got separated. They would've formed a very strong coalition. Apart from that I only know the Mbiri Male as an offspring of the Matimbas. The Tsalala sub adult male isn't alive anymore I suppose.

Matimbas had many female offspring compared to Males...
This happened with Nkuhumas, 4 of the current females are Matimbas offspring I believe. Only Junior was male.

I know there are 2 Mbiri males who are good looking and mating with Ross breakaways recently.

Vinod Lion Enthusiast

Credits: Londolozi

One of the Mhangeni lionesses sits through some light rain, backlit using a spotlight. These females are repeating their behaviour from a couple of years ago, spending more and more time away from their sub-adult offspring. Could we be seeing the forming of a new pride in the form of their 3 daughters? The 9 male sub-adults will surely leave and attempt to form their own coalition. Imagine how powerful they could be… f5.6, 1/160s, ISO 2000

*This image is copyright of its original author

Sometimes the conditions just line-up perfectly. The same lionesses shakes herself off after the shower had passed by. f5.6, 1/320s, ISO 2000

2 users Like vinodkumarn's post

United Kingdom Agerceno Offline

(02-23-2018, 09:04 AM)sik94 Wrote: I am almost certain this is the talamati that partnered up with the mhangenis, compared the image with an older image in the coalitions of knp thread and both seem to have a that prominent horizontal dark line across the pink part of the nose.

I agree on the nose, another possible ID marker is two small nicks in the left ear.

Vinod Lion Enthusiast

Some Mhangene sub adults trailing a buffalo herd (Looks like they are becoming more independent)

Images by
Stuart Buy

3 users Like vinodkumarn's post

United States Fredymrt Offline

(02-23-2018, 09:04 AM)sik94 Wrote: I am almost certain this is the talamati that partnered up with the mhangenis, compared the image with an older image in the coalitions of knp thread and both seem to have a that prominent horizontal dark line across the pink part of the nose.

I have to agree with you, pretty sure this is the talamati male, (partner of the Mhangeni boys) if you look at my pic of the 2 males its the same lion
6 users Like Fredymrt's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

Thanks for finding better evidence, I was 99% sure.
1 user Likes sik94's post

Michael Offline

Acoording to a Safari live guide one unknown male was seen near the styx pride and he had several fresh wounds on his front legs and back maybe it was this male and he had a run-in with a Birmingham Boy

Brazil T Rabbit Offline

Southern pride under attack: Sabi sabi confirmed that the tsalala boys killed one of the sub-adults of southern pride.
1 user Likes T Rabbit's post

United States Fredymrt Offline

From Sabi Sabi

"We have had yet another eventful weekend on the lion front and again, it’s not good news for the Southern Pride. The two young Avoca males have been busy lately and seem to have had a few encounters with the Southern Pride. In addition to this, the three Tsalala males made an appearance this weekend when they were seen close to Little Bush Camp. We can confirm that on Saturday night, these males killed one of the youngest Southern Pride cubs."

Avoca male #1

Avoca boy #2

The 2 Avoca males drinking water at the waterhole
3 users Like Fredymrt's post

Argentina Tshokwane Offline
Big Cats Enthusiast
Moderators

Credits to Johan de la Rey - Leopard Hills.

Othawa young male.

4 users Like Tshokwane's post

Vinod Lion Enthusiast

Othawa pride digesting their wildebeest kill

Images by
Stuart Buy (LeopardHills PGR)

4 users Like vinodkumarn's post

Vinod Lion Enthusiast

Mhangeni Boys
Too follow the path or too stick out?

Credits: Inyati Game Lodge

2 users Like vinodkumarn's post

Vinod Lion Enthusiast

These sub adults are learning to fend for themselves. As long as they don't venture too far away from their fathers they are safe from other big males in the Sabi Sands.
image credit: A. Chanel, Idube GR, posted 02.23.2018

3 users Like vinodkumarn's post