There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United Kingdom KM600 Offline
( This post was last modified: 06-14-2024, 05:33 PM by KM600 )

Seen a comment under the video of the S.BDM, has anyone else heard that both BDMs were joined by Khanya, 2021 Nkuhuma male and 3 Nkuhuma lionesses 2 weeks ago in Singita on a kill. All seemed to be getting along until the PCMs showed up.
3 users Like KM600's post

Belgium criollo2mil Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-14-2024, 05:52 PM by criollo2mil )

(06-14-2024, 05:32 PM)KM600 Wrote: Seen a comment under the video of the S.BDM, has anyone else heard that both BDMs were joined by Khanya, 2021 Nkuhuma male and 3 Nkuhuma lionesses 2 weeks ago in Singita on a kill. All seemed to be getting along until the PCMs showed up.

I saw a comment from a frequent collaborator but have also seen several disputing that interpretation

So right now it has been only that single person that cites that sighting.
3 users Like criollo2mil's post

United States T_Ferguson Offline

Well... I guess video is the only way to believe it.

5 users Like T_Ferguson's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-14-2024, 08:18 PM by Tr1x24 )

(06-14-2024, 06:47 PM)T_Ferguson Wrote: Well... I guess video is the only way to believe it.

Kambulas moved away and BDM did eat afterwards, worth it for him..
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

Another video of the Kambulas and S. BDM

4 users Like afortich's post

Nkuhuma male and Tumbela seemingly chased Mohawk off his kill in the West.

10 users Like KM600's post

Avocado Offline
Banned

Looks like tumbela male is recovering

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@Tr1x24 speaking of the BDM, is impossible that they don't have a strong bond.

They lived their entire lives together, splitting from the rest of their brothers and going on a harsh nomadihood where they travelled probably over 50km ( I doubt from N.Sabi Sands to Thornybush is just around 30km ), then were dominant males for a year together.

Even if their personalities didn't exactly match, out of the sheer fact they spent so much time together, their bond would be very strong.

Hell the fourth N.BDM spends months away from his brothers and is still able to rejoin them and work together, patrolling and everything. Mr.T was never close to Makhulu and spent most of 2 years apart, but still became the core of the coalition throughout 2011 and 2012, working greatly together even against tough competition.

BDM are 6,5+ years together, through cubhood to nomadhood to dominant males to nomadhood again.

I cannot, however, offer a good explanation for why the other BDM moved off 50km to another area where his brother is here, apparently fine as he could even defend himself from Kambulas.
5 users Like Mapokser's post

Go131810 Offline

(06-15-2024, 09:15 PM)Mapokser Wrote: @Tr1x24 speaking of the BDM, is impossible that they don't have a strong bond.

They lived their entire lives together, splitting from the rest of their brothers and going on a harsh nomadihood where they travelled probably over 50km ( I doubt from N.Sabi Sands to Thornybush is just around 30km ), then were dominant males for a year together.

Even if their personalities didn't exactly match, out of the sheer fact they spent so much time together, their bond would be very strong.

Hell the fourth N.BDM spends months away from his brothers and is still able to rejoin them and work together, patrolling and everything. Mr.T was never close to Makhulu and spent most of 2 years apart, but still became the core of the coalition throughout 2011 and 2012, working greatly together even against tough competition.

BDM are 6,5+ years together, through cubhood to nomadhood to dominant males to nomadhood again.

I cannot, however, offer a good explanation for why the other BDM moved off 50km to another area where his brother is here, apparently fine as he could even defend himself from Kambulas.

Hi I just think they split because one of the brothers was injured. Lions will start moving and other lions injured or sick could not keep up. The other Black Damn male lion brother probably had to move on to see what to eat. He might have been trailing Buffalo or another animal.
1 user Likes Go131810's post

Very weird markings, it’s almost like his mane that goes down his back has been ripped off. Looks like he might have injured both paws too with that movement. Gijimas seem to have done a number on him, he’s extremely luck they didn’t finish him off.

1 user Likes KM600's post

Romania Cath2020 Offline

Looks like they tried, seriously tried, to take him out.  His spine was def. messed with, and in more than one spot!  Let's see if he recovers.  If not, then NK male will be alone again, alas.  Third time alone.  Will it be 'three strikes you're out?'  He's still got a few more years in his prime at the rate he's going.....

Considering the Tumbela Male is still alive, he is a very tough one to take out!  Looks like he can move enough cause he went with the NK Male back to the Western Sector.... Time will tell just how well he can bounce back.  I think he has made errors in not running away from the PC Males and from the Gijjimas.  He may be one of those ones that would rather defend/fight back, than run away from conflict.  Many males are like that.  I'd rather he pick and choose to fight his battles more wisely. 

We may lose a couple of well-known males soon....depending on how seriously crippled they are.... Very sad to see rather young males still in their prime getting repeatedly injured.....over and over and over again!
1 user Likes Cath2020's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 06-17-2024, 01:39 AM by Duco Ndona )

Not just the mane seems to have fallen out but also the fur. Perhaps Mange?
The legs also look rather bad.

It does not look good for sure. Even if he pulls through it will not be pretty.

Ttimemarti Offline

The nkuhuma male doesn’t have a scratch on him?

(06-17-2024, 01:54 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: The nkuhuma male doesn’t have a scratch on him?

He ran off which is why he was seen in the Western sector before Tumbela. He was actually busy feasting on two buffalos around the time Tumbela was spotted again but injured. I think it’s safe to say he was not a participant in that fight by any means.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(06-17-2024, 01:35 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Not just the mane seems to have fallen out but also the fur. Perhaps Mange?

I think thats dry blood on his back.