There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-03-2024, 05:09 AM by Mapokser )

I'm not seeing where the PCM chased the Kambulas. Kambulas weren't even in Londolozi.

Anyway, I wouldn't say the BDM are still in charge, since the first clashes with the Kambulas, months ago, the situation is ambiguous and the BDM are not fully territorial, in fact they are still only there because the Kambulas seems to be in love with nomadhood.

Let's face it, if the BDM were fully territorial and in control, they'd have gone chase Mohawk and his sons who have been roaring nonstop through Chitwa Chitwa to Elephants Plains in the past few days without any response from the BDM.

BDM were only fully in charge before the clashes with the Kambulas when they showed up immediately after Kambulas started roaring in their territory and mating with some females. BDM seemed to have initially chased them out, but Kambulas returned the next day and since that the situation became weird with neither BDM or Kambulas being the bosses there, we can even add Mohawk and sons to it now and say they are also pseudo-territorial there.

The BDM aren't doing anything currently because they were never a strong coalition to begin with. Some lions are stronger than average, some weaker than average and most simply average, the BDM are in the weaker side. We can't expect them to do much when a coalition of 4 is pressuring them from one side and now another coalition of 5 pressuring them from the other side.

So I wouldn't call their behavior weird. Weird is the fact the Kambulas knows the BDM are no match for them, they have chased the BDM already, but still refuses to completely assert themselves as fully territorial, despite being far past the age where lions are mature enough to become territorial as long as they are strong enough to do it.

Hell the older Kambulas were only 1-2 months older, are in a coalition of 3, and are fully dominant already for some good few months by now. And I don't think this is because they had an easier journey on Kruger.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

Roaring doesnt make a arriving coalition territorial. Its just a challenge, not a victory.

Right now the BDM are the only group that is in the area full time and doesnt wander off for some reason or another.
So for now they are the closest thing the area has to territorial males. Even though they are not likely to last, its also not clear who is going to take over or if any of the rival groups are even commited to a take over.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Friarfan619 Offline

If Roaring doesn't make a coalition territorial, neither does sitting around licking your wounds
2 users Like Friarfan619's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline
( This post was last modified: 03-03-2024, 06:35 AM by KM600 )

(03-02-2024, 10:27 PM)Mapokser Wrote: Anyway, let's see how the Kambulas react to Mohawk and sons roaring.

Always said the control of the North should come down to who’s quicker to become dominant between the Nkuhuma and Kambula boys. Wasn’t looking great when Nkuhuma boys went deep into KNP. Should both coalitions stay, Kambulas should dominate any and every recent upcoming altercation being older and seemingly bigger. However, Nkuhuma boys holding their own will be enough to convince me they’re ready. 

One important thing going forward is obviously how each coalition uses their strength in numbers. Kambulas are known to seperate and whether this is down to lack of bonding or just different motivations, we don’t know, but the Nkuhuma boys stay together. If they do stay with this aggressive mentality past just roaring, they will be a very hard coalition to overcome.
1 user Likes KM600's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline
( This post was last modified: 03-03-2024, 06:39 AM by KM600 )

I really do feel for the Nkuhuma Pride with all these different coalitions in the North too. Seemed like they were committed to the BDMs but I think are already starting to see weaknesses within them hence mating with Kambulas and accepting Nkuhuma boys presence yet again. Due to all the mating, some lionesses should be showing signs of pregnancy soon but there’s not a chance the first litters, most likely sired by BDMs make it.
1 user Likes KM600's post

Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

Same here. They have a huge problem right now.
With Mohawk and his sons not leaving the pride. The Kambulas not being ready to be territorial and the BDM being outclassed they dont have the stability they need to raise a litter.

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

At least this situation allows the almost 3yo NK subs to keep growing and eventually reach an age where the females may get accepted by whatever new males take over, likely Kambulas.

This situation if keeps going for a few more months, also may allow the male sub to eventually, miraculously join his older brothers and father, instead of ending up as a lone male.

Brazil Ngonya Online

Londolozi - The Week in Pictures #638
"One of the Ntsevu Males and his sister make their way through the Northern reaches of Londolozi to go and rejoin the rest of the males laying down in the clearing ahead of them."

*This image is copyright of its original author
8 users Like Ngonya's post

Romania Cath2020 Offline

I wouldn't call it 'outclassed', after all, the BDMs are a duo, who wouldn't be able to compete with a 4 or 5 lion coalition.  It's just a matter of numbers.  Yes, the N'was put them in their place, but they are in their prime, vs the BDM who are not.  The fact that they keep going into their territory shows poor judgement and overconfidence....not lack thereof.  I'd say they should def. lay low and heal up, forgot about takeovers at the moment.  Their lives are at stake trying to compete with lions in their prime and larger coalitions.   Look what happened to one of the Nkhuhuma boys.  They are obviously not ready for major takeovers yet.  I'm not sure I believe the so-called hunting accident theory.  We'll see how it unfolds.  More information might be forthcoming....
1 user Likes Cath2020's post

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-04-2024, 03:28 AM by criollo2mil )

(03-03-2024, 05:04 AM)Mapokser Wrote: I'm not seeing where the PCM chased the Kambulas. Kambulas weren't even in Londolozi.

Yes, they were there prior to the report PCMs chased norwards

Attached Files Image(s)

7 users Like criollo2mil's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-07-2024, 10:15 AM by Mapokser )

@Cath2020 The BDM are absolutely in their prime, both males are over 6yo.

Reason why Ndhzengas dominate them is because Ndhzengas are naturally stronger/more confident, it's not due to age.

PCM should be around the same age as the older BDM and have been dominating everybody that sees them since they were 4,5yo. Same with Gijima, also the same age as the BDM but much stronger.

However it is true that we can't expect them to do much against big coalition and although I don't think they are that strong as a duo, losing to Ndhzenga and PCM isn't that much of a let down since both coalitions have proven they are stronger than average.

And as for the Kambulas in Londolozi, nice, I didn't know, then it might be true they'd chased the Kambulas.

They might have been the ones to kill the LS Nkuhuma too so they are quite angry nowadays.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

The Black Dam boys (BDMs)

5 users Like afortich's post

United States T_Ferguson Online

Doesn't look like 2 boys that just killed Lip Scar.  The one is still limping too.  I mean... I guess anything is possible, but hard to think.

6 users Like T_Ferguson's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 03-05-2024, 06:17 PM by Tr1x24 )

Another angle of Othawas bumping into NK breakaways:

4 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

Interesting morning at Umkumbe, Blonde Talamati returned from Kruger and was seen near Styx pride, then NK male showed up and chased Styxs:

Talamati male and NK where hanging together before, so maybe they link again as other Talamati still missing.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post