There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

Nkuhuma boys letting everyone know they’re back

9 users Like KM600's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 02-28-2024, 01:16 AM by Mapokser )

@Tr1x24 The NK Breakaway is a freak, the Styx male is a year older than him, has less mane, much lighter mane and is barely bigger than his sisters.

Innyour photos, they're all more developed than their 3yo son in your 2017 photo.

The 2018 photo is obviously much older, not from 2018, since he was already more developed in the 2017 photo.

Had this photo been from late 2018 it would mean he was 3,5-4yo in the photos of late 2019, exactly 1 year later, where they had almost full manes, shared by you in the first page of the Ndhzenga thread:

*This image is copyright of its original author

Even the Ndhzenga with the belly injury ( which affected his condition, health and mane ) has a more impressive mane here in late 2019 than the younger 4+yo Nkuhuma males sired by Avocas and who has Matimbas as grandfathers:

These /\ are supposed to be 3y 8m to 4yo males according to you.

Hairy Belly with his great genes for mane didn't had that at 4,5. We'd need to look for Othawa Male, Scar Mbiri and some of the Mayambulas to beat the Ndhzengas mane development here.

Do you really think that? All their manes are small or average and their son looks like a lioness despite being 3yo, it has less mane development than the NK Breakaway who is an entire year younger, but somehow their fathers were that developed at 4 or below?

Here, August the 3rd 2020 ( from the Ndhzenga thread ), 3 years and 7 months ago, the larger male, supposedly he is just over 8yo now, which would make him 4,5yo here:

In comparison, here Hairy Belly, known for his incredible mane, at the same age ( the one with almost no mane ):

All the young males from Kruger at 4,5yo never had half the mane the larger Ndhzenga male had at supposedly the same age, with just the few exceptions of the freaks of nature in terms of development, who were already mentioned, like the Othawa male.

Of this current generation in Sabi Sands, with 4 Nkuhuma males, 6 Kambulas, the 2 Talamatis, 6 Nkhulu, 2 PCM a bit earlier... None came even close of this Ndhzenga's quick development and only 1 developed a full mane at 5yo ( not even 4,5 like the Ndhzenga, but 5 ), which is K4. 3 developed it if you include the PCM who are a older than this current generation, but this Ndhzenga, had, supposedly, basically a full mane at just 4,5.

Meanwhile the 6 Kambulas and likely the 6 Nkhulu are all over 5,5yo and only K4 has a full mane.
3 users Like Mapokser's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

So NKs and Mohawk roaring again.

Considering how passive the Kambulas and BDM are I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that this coalition of 5 will be the main force there.

I hope not, it'd cause a lot of problems. Ideally the Kambulas would return North and chase these 5 back to Kruger.

But do I have any confidence on the Kambulas strength? Hell no. 3 of these guys will be turning 6 in 6 months or so, the other one turns 5 in 2-3 months, still they left the north to eat buffalo with nomadic S.Avoca male all the way down in the south.

They had multiple encounters with the BDM, dominated all these encounters but still left the area all the same.

Very weird lions. Maybe K4 should have followed his older brothers.
2 users Like Mapokser's post

( This post was last modified: 02-28-2024, 02:32 AM by KM600 )

(02-28-2024, 01:25 AM)Mapokser Wrote: So NKs and Mohawk roaring again.

Considering how passive the Kambulas and BDM are I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that this coalition of 5 will be the main force there.

I hope not, it'd cause a lot of problems. Ideally the Kambulas would return North and chase these 5 back to Kruger.

But do I have any confidence on the Kambulas strength? Hell no. 3 of these guys will be turning 6 in 6 months or so, the other one turns 5 in 2-3 months, still they left the north to eat buffalo with nomadic S.Avoca male all the way down in the south.

They had multiple encounters with the BDM, dominated all these encounters but still left the area all the same.

I still think it’s too early to say because despite how much roaring they’ve been doing both just before and after returning from KNP, they still haven’t taken on any coalition. 

I do think their confidence is off the charts tho, they’ve been roaring all around Northern Sabi Sands where they surely would have picked up the scent of the Kambula boys and the BDMs. They also, as far as we know, haven’t been challenged as of late by either coalition which goes some length into showing what a force they may already be, and this is with the youngsters not even 5 yet. Nor are they yet seeking out territorial disputes but i just have a good feeling about this coalition. Destined for greatness.

Another video of them roaring below, this time in EP

3 users Like KM600's post

United States sik94 Offline
Sikander Hayat

(02-28-2024, 01:25 AM)Mapokser Wrote: So NKs and Mohawk roaring again.

I don't think Kambulas will become territorial until they ditch their sister. Not to say that she's getting in the way, they would naturally drift apart at the stage when Kambulas are truly ready to become territorial. I don't think we have enough information yet to tell how passive the Kambulas would be as dominant males.

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 02-28-2024, 05:07 AM by Mapokser )

@KM600 Very interesting.

With all this roaring in the north and one BDM still limping, not sure they'll respond, probably not but who knows, before going to Kruger Mohawk and sons weren't a threat to the BDM.

The Kambulas, I think, are still down south and unaware of the NK, but if they couldn't properly pusy the BDM I'm not sure they'll be willing to go investigate 5 roars when they move north again.

@sik94 I doubt ditching the sister is even an option, from their POV she's just one more of them, I doubt they can rationalize that she is any different than them in terms of their group/coalition dynamics, she's bonded to them like any of the males are with the others.

In these situations is the female who leaves to go mate and be a female, the brothers never kick their sisters out or abandon them so as long as she decides to follow them, they're be together.

Maybe the Kambulas will turn out to be strong once they are fully dominant, it happens all the time, but the thing is, they are a big coalition, 3/4 will turn 6yo in just 6 months, the younger brother will be 5 in the next 2 months or so. They have explored a big territory in the north with a huge pride that including the almost 3yo females, has 9 members... Their competitors? Just 2 males who are around a year older only, 2 not exactly known for their strength, 2 who can't take the Kambulas on and the Kambulas knows it as the BDM were submissive to them in a carcass... Hell the BDM are even injured, one was pretty badly beaten in a fight that can only have been with the Kambulas.

But despite all od that, the Kambulas are still nomads, nomads to a point they'd leave the north and travel all the way down to Sabi Sabi where they shared a meal with another nomad.

Their behavior is weird. I would understand it if the BDM were stronger than them, but they aren't, the Kambula knows it very well, they know they are much stronger, but still they prefer to be nomads, crazy stuff.

Ttimemarti Offline

The kambulas are in the south no need to talk about hypotheticals when they’ve left the north

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 02-28-2024, 11:44 AM by Tr1x24 )

@Mapokser your logic is strange.

Theres plenty examples of 2 yrs old young males sporting mane like Amahle on that picture, aswell as plenty of 4 yrs old young males having almost full mane on top of their heads.

Look pictures of Othawa male Nguvu, or Othawa Junior at 2 and 4.

I dont see reason why Amahle wouldnt be like them aswell as he was most developed and with best genes of his brothers.

Eorenji and Gore on other hand, had barely any manes in 2019 when they came to Sabi Sands.

You also posted picture of Ubuso from 2020, where he is over 6 yrs old, he is not their brother.

Theres plenty of their pictures from 2017,2018 and 2019 where is clear they are 2,3,4 yrs old in that period.

You think what you want, i have enough evidence that Ndhzengas are born in late 2015, and you wont change that because your logic is "he has too big mane"..
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Ttimemarti Offline

(02-28-2024, 11:10 AM)Tr1x24 Wrote: @Mapokser your logic is strange.

Theres plenty examples of 2 yrs old young males sporting mane like Amahle on that picture, aswell as plenty of 4 yrs old young males having almost full mane on top of their heads.

Look pictures of Othawa male Nguvu, or Othawa Junior at 2 and 4.

I dont see reason why Amahle wouldnt be like them aswell as he was most developed and with best genes of his brothers.

Eorenji and Gore on other hand, had barely any manes in 2019 when they came to Sabi Sands.

You also posted picture of Ubuso from 2020, where he is over 6 yrs old, he is not their brother.

Theres plenty of their pictures from 2017,2018 and 2019 where is clear they are 2,3,4 yrs old in that period.

You think what you want, i have enough evidence that Ndhzengas are born in late 2015, and you wont change that because your logic is "he has too big mane"..

Yes born 2015-2016

Australia Horizon Offline
Moderators
( This post was last modified: 02-28-2024, 12:11 PM by Horizon )

One member argued with me saying Kambula boys would become territorial by the end of 2023. Well, they would eventually become territorial but that timeframe always looked too early for that to happen.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(02-28-2024, 12:09 PM)Horizon Wrote: One member argued with me saying Kambula boys would become territorial by the end of 2023. Well, they would eventually become territorial but that timeframe always looked too early for that to happen.

I think disussion was they would start to make moves by late 2023, which they kinda did in the north.

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Its not like they get smacked with a manual on how to behave like an adult at age 4 and follow it to the letter from that point out.

They are still young and figuring things out.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Australia Horizon Offline
Moderators
Big Grin 

(02-28-2024, 12:23 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(02-28-2024, 12:09 PM)Horizon Wrote: One member argued with me saying Kambula boys would become territorial by the end of 2023. Well, they would eventually become territorial but that timeframe always looked too early for that to happen.

I think disussion was they would start to make moves by late 2023, which they kinda did in the north.

Good memory Tr1x24  Lol. That’s what you said but I heard a much louder noise from elsewhere :).

(02-28-2024, 05:06 AM)Mapokser Wrote: @KM600 Very interesting.

With all this roaring in the north and one BDM still limping, not sure they'll respond, probably not but who knows, before going to Kruger Mohawk and sons weren't a threat to the BDM.

The Kambulas, I think, are still down south and unaware of the NK, but if they couldn't properly pusy the BDM I'm not sure they'll be willing to go investigate 5 roars when they move north again.

I tuned into WildEarth for the first time in a while around 2 days ago, and apparently BDMs stayed around the exact same place for 4 days straight. I wouldn’t say this is down to the Nkuhuma boys returning but they’re a threat that needs to be taken seriously and BDMs don’t seem to care. Infact they’ve been spotted all over Northern Sabi Sands so the BDMs should be aware of them by now. 

As opposed to the Kambulas, I’d be very surprised if they weren’t already aware of the Nkuhuma boys. Just before Nkuhuma boys went off into KNP, both coalitions were roaring around Nkorho area and had been within the same area for a few days. Was most likely one of those situations where neither coalition knew how to act, baring in mind this was before the Kambulas first interacted in mating with the Nkuhuma females and started to become temporarily dominant.

Philippines Redroadmale Offline

Where is the talamati break away at