There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

South Africa Rabubi Offline

(01-18-2024, 06:19 PM)KM600 Wrote: Just come across this post too, seems PCMs finally caught up with her.

This is great news! Hopefully the Tsalala female (and her future cubs from this liaison) will enjoy the protection and stability the PCMs provide to their current prides.
3 users Like Rabubi's post

Mwk85 Offline

Footage of PCM and Tsalala female 

11 users Like Mwk85's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

I wonder if Tsalala could move to Singita to be within the PCM's territory.

Maybe she can avoid the NK Breakaway in the north.

But anyway, it'll be interesting to see what the BDM will do now. They have been going through difficult times, they never managed to get the upper hand against the Ndhzengas and when they were finally taking over the NK pride after almost a year, they lost their territory to Kambulas, they moved further west and got chased by the PCM, now with this interaction on the kill it's more clear than ever that the Kambulas have the complete upper hand over them.

There are still many opportunities if they look at the right place, if they move further north there are a lot of prides ready to be taken, some with only one dominant male or none at all, not to mention the possibility of new breakaway prides since I believe RR has a bunch of daughters.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

NLAL11 Offline

(01-18-2024, 10:48 PM)Mapokser Wrote: I wonder if Tsalala could move to Singita to be within the PCM's territory.

Maybe she can avoid the NK Breakaway in the north.

But anyway, it'll be interesting to see what the BDM will do now. They have been going through difficult times, they never managed to get the upper hand against the Ndhzengas and when they were finally taking over the NK pride after almost a year, they lost their territory to Kambulas, they moved further west and got chased by the PCM, now with this interaction on the kill it's more clear than ever that the Kambulas have the complete upper hand over them.

There are still many opportunities if they look at the right place, if they move further north there are a lot of prides ready to be taken, some with only one dominant male or none at all, not to mention the possibility of new breakaway prides since I believe RR has a bunch of daughters.

This is my concern. She's got a great little bit of territory in Londolozi along the river. Seems she manages to avoid all the drama. They're probably the best coalition for her to mate with, besides maybe the N'waswitshakas, but it'll increase the chance of her coming into conflict with the Nkuhuma breakaways, or even Mhangeni or Ximungwe prides. And though she's ready to have cubs now, it would be best for her to join another lone lionesses first. She won't want to once she's a mother.

Red Road's (5) daughters will almost certainly form a breakaway pride at this point, unless Red Road gets overthrown soon, which could happen. They could fill the space left by the Talamati breakaways. But the Kambula's will expand at some point, and it will probably be north. The Black Dam males will just lose out to them again.
1 user Likes NLAL11's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Yeah now would be the time for Tsalala's sister to leave her brothers and go mate with the PCM within that area of Singita ( where she and her brothers like to use to hunt ), if she where to join up with Tsalala there, it'd be a dream scenario.

As for the Kambulas expanding north, IDK, they never left the SS, they'd more likely, IMO, expand west, towards an area they know well and use a lot to hunt. Though like I said, if their sister would establish herself there then she might serve as a shield against the Kambula coalition, the same way the Kambulas avoid Mala Mala they may probably avoid the place their sister is.

This also happened back in the early 2000s, the dominant males of the Charleston pride couldn't oppose the Rollercoasters but they got to keep their status because the Rollercoasters never made a move to take their sisters' pride and they even interacted without hostilities multiple times, the Rollercoasters and the Charleston females.
3 users Like Mapokser's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

NK Breakaway subadult male:

*This image is copyright of its original author

*This image is copyright of its original author
11 users Like Mapokser's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

I doubt she will be moving. 

She is just mating with the local males to confuse paternity of any cubs she will give birth to. Mak was just exploring the area and got lucky. So this is not a take over, so she wont be tempted as much to move closer. 

Her territory is also far more dictated by the other pride territories than whatever the males do. Every pride around her is bigger and extremely hostile to her and she is fully aware of her bad position. Which is how she ended up in londolozi to begin with.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

NLAL11 Offline

@Mapokser Interesting I didn't know that about the Rollercoasters and Charlestons. That would be ideal. I don't see them expanding west as there aren't really any lionesses, except the Tsalala girl. And just because they haven't left Sabi Sands yet doesn't mean they won't do so in the future.

@Duco Ndona Well she's inherited her mother's territory, but yes probably that's how she ended up there.

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@"NLAL1" there are/will be a lot of lionesses west of them, Manghenis, 2 Ximhungwes, 2 NK Breakaways and 2 Othawas.

All they have to do is oust the PCM, and in the very near future, they'll be able to easily do that if they want as they outnumber the PCM 4 to 2.

I always feared the Kambulas would be the west's doom, but hopefully they'll expand north instead of west.
2 users Like Mapokser's post

United States T_Ferguson Offline

(01-19-2024, 06:35 AM)Mapokser Wrote: @"NLAL1" there are/will be a lot of lionesses west of them, Manghenis, 2 Ximhungwes, 2 NK Breakaways and 2 Othawas.

All they have to do is oust the PCM, and in the very near future, they'll be able to easily do that if they want as they outnumber the PCM 4 to 2.

I always feared the Kambulas would be the west's doom, but hopefully they'll expand north instead of west.

It seems like there just aren't any finishers in Sabi right now.  Maybe the Gijimas.  The PCM's are strong and didn't finish off Skorro when they had him, Kambula's didn't finish NK, or do anything about the BDM's the other night.  BDM's didn't do anything with the N'Was male a few months ago.  I mean... Kinky Tail and Mr. T are rolling over at all this kindness.

That said.  Sabi has a LOT of male lions in what I think is a pretty small space.  2024 could be a year of fireworks and sadness.
3 users Like T_Ferguson's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Gijimas badly injured K3 but he fully recovered.

Regardless, this is the norm, more often than not the lion caught by 2 isn't finished.

Mapogos were no exception. Mr.T and KT didn't inflict any serious injure on their half-brother when they caught him in 2008, nor did they do anything to the remaining Manyeleti male when he got caught in 2009, hell 3 Mapogo caught the Golf Course male in 2009 ( in that video at night in the north ) and also did nothing to him.

It's up in the air why things are how they are, but the level of threat involved may be at play, for exemple, Ndhzenga was 1/4, 5th Majingilane 1/5, Delaporte 1/7, and Nhenha 1/2 who were territorial in the area the 2 PCM where trying to take for a long time, same as the 2 Manyeleti when the Mapogos killed the first one, 2 v 2 against males trying to take the northern part of the Mapogo territory, in all these scenarios at least one male was badly injured or died.

Meanwhile Tumbela and BDM aren't a huge threat to PCM and Kambulas respectively... Or it may be completely coincidental and sometimes the lions are in the mood to give tons of damage and sometimes they are cautious about risking injuries and energy.

Still, in the case of the Kambulas, they weren't even close of being territorial when they caught NK, and are just starting to establish themselves now so they not attacking BDM or killing NK may be also due to inexperience.
4 users Like Mapokser's post

NLAL11 Offline

(01-19-2024, 06:35 AM)Mapokser Wrote: @"NLAL1" there are/will be a lot of lionesses west of them, Manghenis, 2 Ximhungwes, 2 NK Breakaways and 2 Othawas.

I meant immediately west of them. Depends where they set up shop. I was under the impression they were currently doing so in the Djuma, Chitwa Chitwa, Nkorho, Arsathusa area - with a bit of northern Londolozi. If the PC males came all the way to Elephant Plains then there's still quite a bit of space between the Kambula males and all those females. However, if they start to establish territory in Singita, then yes all those lionesses will be quite close to them. But if they're focusing on the Nkuhuma pride, which seems most likely as they currently don't have two big aggressive males defending them, then they'll be far from those other lionesses you listed.
2 users Like NLAL11's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

NK female approached Kambula males, they went after her for potential mating, but their sister didnt like her presence:

This is a problem, as sister might be in real danger when there will be more NK females around.
10 users Like Tr1x24's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

(01-20-2024, 06:44 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: NK female approached Kambula males, they went after her for potential mating, but their sister didnt like her presence:

This is a problem, as sister might be in real danger when there will be more NK females around.

Think this just signals their relationship is coming to an end, Kambula males aren’t going to keep putting up with this, she’s either gonna end up getting put in her place or the Kambula males are going to willingly seek out Nkuhuma females and she’ll get the hint anyways.
2 users Like KM600's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Nkuhuma female was attracted by the roars of the new dominant males:

4 users Like Mapokser's post