There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

(12-15-2023, 01:31 AM)afortich Wrote: Summary of lost lions in 2023

Never understood why ppl make these videos around this time, it’s still possible for more male lions to die in Sabi Sand before the year closes out. Nevertheless, I see why ‘Scar’ didn’t include the bigger Southern Avoca in the video but all the signs point to him being dead and this would have been a worthy tribute.
1 user Likes KM600's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Its the season for it I guess. Lost of media have their stuff out already for weeks now and the chance of another mayor death are slim. 

There are some notable omissions though. Such as the Southern Avoca or the Ximhungwe cub.
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

(12-15-2023, 02:33 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Its the season for it I guess. Lost of media have their stuff out already for weeks now and the chance of another mayor death are slim. 

There are some notable omissions though. Such as the Southern Avoca or the Ximhungwe cub.

The Ximhungwe cub didn’t have enough of an impact in order to be covered in such a video, it’s usually only fully grown male lions.

Ttimemarti Offline

Styx female talamati queen and the kambula girls didn’t make the video either

(12-15-2023, 05:14 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: Styx female talamati queen and the kambula girls didn’t make the video either

‘Male lions we lost in 2023’

Ttimemarti Offline

(12-15-2023, 06:15 AM)KM600 Wrote:
(12-15-2023, 05:14 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote: Styx female talamati queen and the kambula girls didn’t make the video either

Should be all the lions we lost female just as important as males

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

(12-15-2023, 04:56 AM)KM600 Wrote:
(12-15-2023, 02:33 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Its the season for it I guess. Lost of media have their stuff out already for weeks now and the chance of another mayor death are slim. 

The Ximhungwe cub didn’t have enough of an impact in order to be covered in such a video, it’s usually only fully grown male lions.
That cub may result in the PCmales having one extra female to mate with and wont need to seek mating opportunities elsewhere. Not to mention it gives the Ximhungwe lioness one last chance of producing female cubs to continue her prides lineage.

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

(12-15-2023, 09:15 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote:

I agree but I assume there will be another video for those later.

Ttimemarti Offline

(12-15-2023, 11:10 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote:
(12-15-2023, 09:15 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote:

I agree but I assume there will be another video for those later.

Hopefully

United States Cath2020 Offline

(12-15-2023, 11:07 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote:
(12-15-2023, 04:56 AM)KM600 Wrote:

That cub may result in the PCmales having one extra female to mate with and wont need to seek mating opportunities elsewhere. Not to mention it gives the Ximhungwe lioness one last chance of producing female cubs to continue her prides lineage.

I hope she starts mating with them soon.  My fear was that she'd keep nursing the cubs and as long as she's doing that, she won't go into heat.  If she takes to them as her own, she might not go into heat for another year or two.  That would be the worse case scenario for her personal lineage, although good for the 2 cubs themselves.  Let's see what happens in the next several months.  I'm keen that she has another litter by the end of next year at the latest.  There is no guarantee that the strong duo over them will be able to keep their top spot for another 3 years (they have been territorial for around 1-2 now already), but that is what it will take, supposing she has her next litter with them before 2025.

( This post was last modified: 12-15-2023, 09:25 PM by KM600 )

Ndhzenga back in the North, like the comment says ‘I like their style’ and I agree as they tend to always show up when there’s a lot of tension in the area. Must’ve heard either one of the coalitions roaring and decided it’s time to show they’re still a force to be reckoned with.

Floppy Ear in excellent shape, anyone know if he’s still by himself or has he linked back up with the pride now he’s back in Sabi Sand. Hope he stays safe. 
‘Vocalisations sounded different to the usual territorial calls & a quick search delivered the young Styx male clearly shaken by some occurrence. He seemed anxious and wary of his surroundings as he rushed through the brush, stopping regularly to look back.’

10 users Like KM600's post

Panama Mapokser Online
Contributor

Kambulas are roaring claiming the land everyday, but it seems the BDM are not defending the territory from them. Apparently, since the first clash, the BDM are avoiding them.
2 users Like Mapokser's post

Canada Robot00 Offline
( This post was last modified: 12-15-2023, 11:41 PM by Robot00 )

(12-15-2023, 09:23 PM)KM600 Wrote: Ndhzenga back in the North, like the comment says ‘I like their style’ and I agree as they tend to always show up when there’s a lot of tension in the area. Must’ve heard either one of the coalitions roaring and decided it’s time to show they’re still a force to be reckoned with.

This is just me thinking out loud.

I think it's a mistake for them to venture up north now the kambula boys are laying their claim. If they're not careful and dont play their role of just "stay in your territory" instead of trying to challenge The kam boys, they are in a world of hurt. The kam boys are prime for conquest. The only reason they would spare the Ndhzenga males is because they are the current protectors of their old family.

If things were to go down between these two coalitions, i see the kam boys giving the Ndhzenga a minor beating to let them know "sit yo ass down" and let them off easy back to protecting their mothers and siblings

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

Relaxing time for the Avoca young male and Guernsey

2 users Like afortich's post

Canada Robot00 Offline
( This post was last modified: 12-15-2023, 11:48 PM by Robot00 )

(12-15-2023, 11:23 PM)Mapokser Wrote: Kambulas are roaring claiming the land everyday, but it seems the BDM are not defending the territory from them. Apparently, since the first clash, the BDM are avoiding them.
I feel bad for the BDM. No where else to go in S.S. everywhere has strong evenly matched coalitions. They're gonna need a lot of luck to overthrow any established coalitions in the foreseeable future.

We can assume they've lost against the four kam boys
There's no way they can challenge 2pcm 2vs2
They have a good chance against the 2 Ndhzenga males
They might have a chance against the two gijimas

So currently their best bet is to go south or central south if they want to stay in s.s.