There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM by Tr1x24 )

(12-09-2023, 09:37 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Kambula males and sister in the north. K4 seems to have an injury/cut on his paw, perhaps from that clash with the BDM?

It might be that he had some smaller clash with Orange eyed BDM who had cut on his nose few days ago, when BDMs chased Kambulas south, before they now returned back.
2 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(12-09-2023, 02:19 AM)KM600 Wrote: Mohawk and Nkuhuma YMs are in for a shock when they most likely return back from KNP, started to feel like they were growing in confidence despite the presence of the BDMs but 4 big Kambula boys is a whole different challenge, and one they’re not yet ready for.

If they return.

Mohawk and NK young males would leave this area regardless, so for them it doesnt matter who actually rules it, they would not challenge BDMs.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(12-09-2023, 02:30 AM)NLAL11 Wrote: @Tr1x24 You're pretty good at identifying lions, is that K3 or K6 with the hook scar near his right eye? In the Londolozi blog photos

Which photo?

NLAL11 Offline

@Tr1x24 This one. Credits to Londolozi https://blog.londolozi.com/2023/12/08/th...tures-626/

*This image is copyright of its original author
3 users Like NLAL11's post

NLAL11 Offline

(12-09-2023, 03:33 AM)Ttimemarti Wrote:
(12-09-2023, 02:30 AM)NLAL11 Wrote: @Mapokser Yeah he definitely did, as I've said before I'm 97% certain he's Nhena's son, who was probably one of the biggest Birmingham's, and also had the 'best' mane. Difficult to tell from that photo, hopefully we get more of them. But I think all of these boys are going to be impressive in the end.

@KM600 Let's hope those young lads stay away from them. Same with the Nkuhuma subs. The Kambula boys haven't killed any lions yet, that we know of, but they're bound to at some point.

@Tr1x24 You're pretty good at identifying lions, is that K3 or K6 with the hook scar near his right eye? In the Londolozi blog photos

Respectfully k4 to me resembles mfumo in my eyes

Fair enough! It can be difficult to tell, they can look very similar. They were all brothers after all and as the Londolozi blogger said, they have the distinct 'Birmingham look'.

But there's specific image of K4 I have in mind, where he was walking towards the camera, and he was just the spitting image of Nhena. It was an almost exact replica of a photo of Nhena. I will try and find both photos later and link them here, or the Birmingham lineage thread maybe.
2 users Like NLAL11's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(12-09-2023, 01:13 PM)NLAL11 Wrote: @Tr1x24 This one. Credits to Londolozi https://blog.londolozi.com/2023/12/08/th...tures-626/

K6.

NLAL11 Offline

(12-09-2023, 06:31 AM)BA0701 Wrote: As much as I would never say any lion's death was a good thing, regardless of circumstances (outside of terrible injuries akin to what Dark Mane suffered), especially a cub, but if the Ximungwe female's cub died, the silver lining is he was the only male cub of the 3, and with her being the last actual Ximungwe female, and aging, it would provide her an opportunity to have another cub, that could, hopefully, be a female this time. I remember many of us thought her last cub was a male (little extra fluff around the neck area as a little tyke), and how glad we were to find out we were wrong. She worked tirelessly to help that girl along, just as hard as Tsalala did. She's been through a lot over the years, including the fate that fell upon the second to the last adult Xim female, she and the pride deserve for something positive to happen now.

Not just to have a female cub instead, but if she has another litter, then she might have more this time. I don't think age makes any difference to litter size, Junior's mother in the Othawa pride had a litter of three when she was already quite old. Three or four would be much better for the pride. Do you know when the Ximungwe girl was born?

I was wondering about lionesses losing cubs, because the Ximungwe's male cub has died, and when the Southern pride lioness lost a cub, it was also the male. I wonder if lionesses have an instinct to protect the daughtes first, and then the sons if they can. Probably a lot of factors at play though.
1 user Likes NLAL11's post

NLAL11 Offline

(12-09-2023, 01:31 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote:
(12-09-2023, 01:13 PM)NLAL11 Wrote: @Tr1x24 This one. Credits to Londolozi https://blog.londolozi.com/2023/12/08/th...tures-626/

K6.

Cool, cheers. That hook scar is a pretty easy identifier. As long as he's facing the right way of course.

Ttimemarti Offline

(12-09-2023, 01:34 PM)NLAL11 Wrote:
(12-09-2023, 06:31 AM)BA0701 Wrote: As much as I would never say any lion's death was a good thing, regardless of circumstances (outside of terrible injuries akin to what Dark Mane suffered), especially a cub, but if the Ximungwe female's cub died, the silver lining is he was the only male cub of the 3, and with her being the last actual Ximungwe female, and aging, it would provide her an opportunity to have another cub, that could, hopefully, be a female this time. I remember many of us thought her last cub was a male (little extra fluff around the neck area as a little tyke), and how glad we were to find out we were wrong. She worked tirelessly to help that girl along, just as hard as Tsalala did. She's been through a lot over the years, including the fate that fell upon the second to the last adult Xim female, she and the pride deserve for something positive to happen now.

Not just to have a female cub instead, but if she has another litter, then she might have more this time. I don't think age makes any difference to litter size, Junior's mother in the Othawa pride had a litter of three when she was already quite old. Three or four would be much better for the pride. Do you know when the Ximungwe girl was born?

I was wondering about lionesses losing cubs, because the Ximungwe's male cub has died, and when the Southern pride lioness lost a cub, it was also the male. I wonder if lionesses have an instinct to protect the daughtes first, and then the sons if they can. Probably a lot of factors at play though.

All I know is the ximhungwe female is around 11 years old she doesn’t look like it tho
2 users Like Ttimemarti's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(12-09-2023, 01:36 PM)NLAL11 Wrote: Cool, cheers. That hook scar is a pretty easy identifier. As long as he's facing the right way of course.

He has that since he was cub.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(12-09-2023, 01:47 PM)Ttimemarti Wrote: All I know is the ximhungwe female is around 11 years old she doesn’t look like it tho

Born in 2013.

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Its just coincidence probably. If there was a selective instinct like that she would have killed or abandoned the cub herself.

The only real factor that could explain such a difference is that a male cub is slightly stronger and bigger and thus more difficult to pick up and carry to safety.

Offcource despite all the big talk about them being the kings of the jungle. Lions are just small and fragile creatures compared to some of the bigger animals. Once those elephants decided to kill the cub, there would have been no other option for Ximhungwe than to run away and watch from a big distance. Regardless off gender.

NLAL11 Offline

(12-09-2023, 02:13 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Its just coincidence probably. If there was a selective instinct like that she would have killed or abandoned the cub herself.

The only real factor that could explain such a difference is that a male cub is slightly stronger and bigger and thus more difficult to pick up and carry to safety.

Offcource despite all the big talk about them being the kings of the jungle. Lions are just small and fragile creatures compared to some of the bigger animals. Once those elephants decided to kill the cub, there would have been no other option for Ximhungwe than to run away and watch from a big distance. Regardless off gender.

I wasn't really talking about the Ximungwe female and her cub, just that another male cub dying made me think of the Southern pride cub that died, also male.

Like, come on. Males of all species are more evolutionarily dispensible. It's not that outrageous to think that maybe a lioness would have some instinct to protect the female cubs first, and then the males if she can. And how would a selective instinct to protect female cubs first, then males, mean that the lioness would kill or abandon her own cubs if male? That's quite a leap in logic.

United Kingdom lionuk Offline
Contributor

@Duco Ndona for some reason you don’t use that Reply Button when replying, Patrick

I’m sure when you use email, you press Reply button. You probably are too lazy to do the same here on forum

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

You’ll have to zoom in quite a bit but looks like Khanya is back in Londolozi. 

3 users Like KM600's post