There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(12-09-2023, 01:14 AM)NLAL11 Wrote: Wow K4 really got into it. He's definitely going to be the dominant one for now, until the other boys catch up. Seems like he might have been roaring in response to other lions.

Looks like he is slightly limping.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

@NLAL11 in their new blog post Londolozi even described him as "the oldest and biggest" of the 4, despite him being littermates with K3 and K5.

He definitely got the best genes for mane and size among his coalition partners and possibly even than his older brothers from Kruger. Well at least in mane growth he beat his older brothers by a lot. I'm not sure the elder 2 Kambulas are as big as their partner:

*This image is copyright of its original author
4 users Like Mapokser's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

Mohawk and Nkuhuma YMs are in for a shock when they most likely return back from KNP, started to feel like they were growing in confidence despite the presence of the BDMs but 4 big Kambula boys is a whole different challenge, and one they’re not yet ready for.
2 users Like KM600's post

NLAL11 Offline

@Mapokser Yeah he definitely did, as I've said before I'm 97% certain he's Nhena's son, who was probably one of the biggest Birmingham's, and also had the 'best' mane. Difficult to tell from that photo, hopefully we get more of them. But I think all of these boys are going to be impressive in the end.

@KM600 Let's hope those young lads stay away from them. Same with the Nkuhuma subs. The Kambula boys haven't killed any lions yet, that we know of, but they're bound to at some point.

@Tr1x24 You're pretty good at identifying lions, is that K3 or K6 with the hook scar near his right eye? In the Londolozi blog photos
3 users Like NLAL11's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

I'm curious to see what the sister will do now, this is the first time I see a lioness with her brothers during a territory/pride takeover.

It'd be perfect if she could link up with Tsalala under Skorro and NK. It could even indirectly protect these males and area from the Kambula coalition since these males will want to avoid their sister's territory.
2 users Like Mapokser's post

(12-09-2023, 02:42 AM)Mapokser Wrote: I'm curious to see what the sister will do now, this is the first time I see a lioness with her brothers during a territory/pride takeover.

It'd be perfect if she could link up with Tsalala under Skorro and NK. It could even indirectly protect these males and area from the Kambula coalition since these males will want to avoid their sister's territory.

Hopefully she doesn’t stay around cos if these boys were to takeover both a pride and territory, she will most likely be attacked by the other females and this could cause the Kambula males to strike back in her defence. The Kambula males could try and force Nkuhuma lionesses to accept her but I’d much rather she leaves or atleast tries to join other females / males.
1 user Likes KM600's post

Duco Ndona Online
Contributor

Most likely she would end up in fights with the first Nkuhuma lionesses that wander off to mate with the Kambulas. 
Her brothers will then likely be mostly thinking with their smaller tail and enter a highly competive mindset. Lashing out at her and eventually drive her off. 

There is a chance that she can rejoin her maternal pride or ends up joining with the Tsalala lioness, much like Gingeralla and the Mhangeni 12 survivors did. But there is also a good chance she ends up as a leopard lioness. If she survives that is.

Ttimemarti Offline

(12-09-2023, 02:30 AM)NLAL11 Wrote: @Mapokser Yeah he definitely did, as I've said before I'm 97% certain he's Nhena's son, who was probably one of the biggest Birmingham's, and also had the 'best' mane. Difficult to tell from that photo, hopefully we get more of them. But I think all of these boys are going to be impressive in the end.

@KM600 Let's hope those young lads stay away from them. Same with the Nkuhuma subs. The Kambula boys haven't killed any lions yet, that we know of, but they're bound to at some point.

@Tr1x24 You're pretty good at identifying lions, is that K3 or K6 with the hook scar near his right eye? In the Londolozi blog photos

Respectfully k4 to me resembles mfumo in my eyes
1 user Likes Ttimemarti's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 12-09-2023, 06:32 AM by BA0701 )

As much as I would never say any lion's death was a good thing, regardless of circumstances (outside of terrible injuries akin to what Dark Mane suffered), especially a cub, but if the Ximungwe female's cub died, the silver lining is he was the only male cub of the 3, and with her being the last actual Ximungwe female, and aging, it would provide her an opportunity to have another cub, that could, hopefully, be a female this time. I remember many of us thought her last cub was a male (little extra fluff around the neck area as a little tyke), and how glad we were to find out we were wrong. She worked tirelessly to help that girl along, just as hard as Tsalala did. She's been through a lot over the years, including the fate that fell upon the second to the last adult Xim female, she and the pride deserve for something positive to happen now.
4 users Like BA0701's post

United States GhostCatP-22 Offline

I’m not sure the kambula sister would be chased off. She has a good relationship with all the boys, there is one brother she is especially close to so I assume they are litter mates. She is a crazy tuff lioness to handle so many adult male lions! 
I REALLY hope she finds a friend like tsalala or it may be possible for the younger nkuhumas to accept her as long as her brothers were around. 
Whatever happens I wish her luck!

Ttimemarti Offline

(12-09-2023, 07:02 AM)GhostCatP-22 Wrote: I’m not sure the kambula sister would be chased off. She has a good relationship with all the boys, there is one brother she is especially close to so I assume they are litter mates. She is a crazy tuff lioness to handle so many adult male lions! 
I REALLY hope she finds a friend like tsalala or it may be possible for the younger nkuhumas to accept her as long as her brothers were around. 

She is k12 her brother k6 is her littermate but she might not be accepted back by the bigger kambula group her “sisters” but the other group of older girls will probably accept her and I believe her mother was k5 and sadly she is now gone but she has many options to be honest some are good some are not as good

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

Summary

6 users Like afortich's post

(12-09-2023, 07:02 AM)GhostCatP-22 Wrote: I’m not sure the kambula sister would be chased off. She has a good relationship with all the boys, there is one brother she is especially close to so I assume they are litter mates. She is a crazy tuff lioness to handle so many adult male lions! 

Seems to me she’s only gonna be tolerated by the males if she makes herself available to them thru mating otherwise they have no reason to keep defending her against the other lionesses should they takeover a pride.
2 users Like KM600's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

Kambula males and sister in the north. K4 seems to have an injury/cut on his paw, perhaps from that clash with the BDM?

3 users Like Mapokser's post

Croatia Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-09-2023, 01:07 PM by Tr1x24 )

(12-09-2023, 01:43 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Well at least in mane growth he beat his older brothers by a lot.

2 older Kambulas alao started to grown bigger manes, especially K2.

(12-09-2023, 01:43 AM)Mapokser Wrote: I'm not sure the elder 2 Kambulas are as big as their partner:

They are bulkier/more muscular then him.