There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

(12-04-2023, 08:51 PM)Tonpa Wrote: The gang on Djuma this afternoon, BDM sleeping next to 2021 Nkuhuma male which was interesting

*This image is copyright of its original author

When the BDMs first linked up with the Nkuhuma Pride while Mohawk and Nkuhuma YMs went into KNP, I think it was Cedric who said there seemed to be zero aggression between one of the BDMs and the subadult male, seemingly quite fond of each other.
3 users Like KM600's post

(12-04-2023, 08:27 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: Interesting, BDMs yesterday seen following NKs, not sure if they are aware of this, or if something happened over night.

I think we soon might have a conflict between 2 parties.

As for sister, hope she doesnt get too close, 3 NK females would prob attack her.

I don’t think anything has happened yet as the BDMs were following the Nkuhuma Pride around the same time Kambula YMs were coming into Chitwa Chitwa. I also don’t think the Kambula YMs would have separated if there was an altercation with the BDMs, most likely one of the Kambula YMs just happened to pick up the scent of the Nkuhuma females and the BDMs weren’t around. I agree tho, I can definitely feel a conflict waiting to happen.
1 user Likes KM600's post

United States GhostCatP-22 Offline

Males seems to be more accepting of cub/subs as long as there are enough lionesses to mate with and the young ones are respectful. The individual lions’ personalities definitely affect how they behave during take overs.
1 user Likes GhostCatP-22's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(12-04-2023, 10:58 PM)GhostCatP-22 Wrote: Males seems to be more accepting of cub/subs as long as there are enough lionesses to mate with and the young ones are respectful. The individual lions’ personalities definitely affect how they behave during take overs.

Aswell as size of coalition compared to pride they takeover.

For example, lone male or duo cant exactly do much against big pride of lets say 6 or more females, who will protect their offspring, or just avoid them.

But bigger coalition can, they can overpower females and kill them if needed, also can easier hunt down if the pride is on the run.

Thats why we rarely see a big coalition adopting  and tolerating young offsprings, their takeovers are more violent.
3 users Like Tr1x24's post

Tonpa Offline
Contributor

Some unknown males on Djuma this morning, same boys have been in the area since atleast September, they had a third member who seems to be gone now.

5 users Like Tonpa's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-05-2023, 12:55 AM by Mapokser )

@KM600 by mating with their females and roaring in their territory, the Kambulas have challenged the BDM already, now it's up to the BDM to either accept the challenge and face them, or move off.

And I do agree that this is the thing that'll push the KYM to be fully territorial, no way they'll be mating with 3 females and then go back to being nomadic at their age with their numbers. This is something that often happens, young males getting confidence and motivation to challenge after mating.

And btw K4 looks huge compared to the NK female he was mating with.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-05-2023, 12:59 AM by Duco Ndona )

Lions also cannot communicate complex ideas like this well, so its not like the males can sit each other down and have a conversation about what to do with the cubs. 
So even if 5 out of 6 males chooses to let them live. Its not going to stop the last lion from trying to kill them anyway. 
So the smaller the coalition, the larger the chance of all males accepting the cubs.

Larger coalitions also tend to be more stressed out due to internal conflict and cubs make lovely little punching bags to relieve that.

As for the Kambulas. I think we need to be careful not the compare the current situation with a convential takeover. Sexual interaction between family members is not unheard off even in normal circumstances.
It could just as easily be a sign that the lions are getting sexually frustrated, which is typically what makes young males leave even in situations where there is not pride male to chase them off.

Either way, it would be best if the BDMs get rid of them though.
2 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor

(12-05-2023, 12:36 AM)Mapokser Wrote: @KM600 by mating with their females and roaring in their territory, the Kambulas have challenged the BDM already, now it's up to the BDM to either accept the challenge and face them, or move off.

And I do agree that this is the thing that'll push the KYM to be fully territorial, no way they'll he mating with 3 females and then go back to being nomadic at their age with their numbers. This is something that often happens, young males getting confidence and motivation to challenge after mating.

And btw K4 looks huge compared to the BK female he was mating with.

Its yet to be see if K4 has support from his brothers this time.

They where also in the north roaring and chasing NKs not long ago, K4 also was left on his own in similar situation, like he wanted more but didnt had support.

Nothing happen and they went in Londolozi.

But yea, if all 4 Kambulas are ready to challenge this time, BDMs dont have much of a chance in 2vs4.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-09-2023, 06:48 AM by Mapokser )

@Tr1x24 Kambulas chased some subadults, but never got females to mate.

Aren't they all together watching K4 mate? I think that's what I saw in the videos and report, and they roared together. Though it was late and I might have gotten the situation wrong.

But as it stands, if what I saw was right, they all have unleashed the challenge, though if they will hold their ground in case of the BDM charging, it's another question. Many coalitions have directly challenged the resident males but broke ranks when they were charged at.

Still, it's difficult to imagine the KYM going for other prides now that they got 3 females in a silver platter, they'll want the NK even if the BDM chase them out now, they'll return. Only way BDM can change this is by killing one of the Kambulas or at least knocking one out seriously.

Tr1x24 Offline
Top Contributor
( This post was last modified: 12-05-2023, 01:34 AM by Tr1x24 )

(12-05-2023, 01:14 AM)Mapokser Wrote: Aren't they all together watching K4 mate? I think that's what I saw in the videos and report, and they roared together. Though it was late and I might have got the situation wrong.

Not sure, as far as i understand they where split, 3 where searching for his brother, only 3 males roaring at Chitwa yesterday.

Not sure if they reunite by this sighting, they might.

Also, not sure if thats sister with them on 1 video, or NK female.

Some description says NK female with Kambula males, looks like sister is not here.
1 user Likes Tr1x24's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Its rather icky if those 3 females are your mother, aunt and sister though. Even for Lions.

Canada Robot00 Offline

Currently s.s. has too many coalitions and upcoming coalitions and they're all very strong.

Two pc males in the west
Two Nwas males central
Two Gijima males south
Two bd males north

Who's in the east? Empty?

Nomads
Four kambula boys
Mohawk and his four boys
Two talamati boys
Bunch of single nomads

Things are about to boil over. One of the resident coalitions will fall depending who the kambula boys decides to take on first.

Irc the southern bd boys have been seperated from their four northern brothers about 1yr ago. What is the chance of them being accepted back in with their four northern brothers if they cannot hold down their territory that is northern s.s?

Imagine the bd males lost northern s.s. and went north to get reinforcement with their four northern brothers and then come back down to s.s. with a bang rampageFunny Funny Funny
1 user Likes Robot00's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

3 N.BDM doesn't even accept their 4th brother who split for a few months to stay with their other pride, never mind their Southern brothers. This is not a Mapogo scenario, the S.BDM are on their own and very very far away from their other brothers.

Ttimemarti Offline

You never know

( This post was last modified: 12-05-2023, 02:59 AM by KM600 )

(12-05-2023, 02:01 AM)Robot00 Wrote: Currently s.s. has too many coalitions and upcoming coalitions and they're all very strong.

Two pc males in the west
Two Nwas males central
Two Gijima males south
Two bd males north

Who's in the east? Empty?

Nomads
Four kambula boys
Mohawk and his four boys
Two talamati boys
Bunch of single nomads

Things are about to boil over. One of the resident coalitions will fall depending who the kambula boys decides to take on first.

Irc the southern bd boys have been seperated from their four northern brothers about 1yr ago. What is the chance of them being accepted back in with their four northern brothers if they cannot hold down their territory that is northern s.s?

Imagine the bd males lost northern s.s. and went north to get reinforcement with their four northern brothers and then come back down to s.s. with a bang rampageFunny Funny Funny

Avoca Pride have cubs so I can’t see them being accepted back.
1 user Likes KM600's post