There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United States afortich Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-28-2023, 08:38 AM by afortich )

Summary 11.27.23

5 users Like afortich's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline

Kambula breakaways at Ulusaba.

3 users Like KM600's post

NLAL11 Offline

(11-28-2023, 04:16 PM)KM600 Wrote: Kambula breakaways at Ulusaba.

Hope the Othawas manage to avoid them. They're not Kambula 'breakaways' though, as they're not a breakaway pride. Their sister will be a breakaway lioness, unless she joins another already existing pride, but the boys are a normal nomadic coalition of young males that have left the pride.
3 users Like NLAL11's post

NLAL11 Offline

(11-28-2023, 05:19 PM)NLAL11 Wrote:

Hope the Othawas manage to avoid them. They're not Kambula 'breakaways' though, as they're not a breakaway pride. Their sister will be a breakaway lioness, unless she joins another already existing pride, but the boys are a normal nomadic coalition of young males that have left the pride.

Not having a go at your personally as I have seen many rangers and reserves calling them the 'Kambula breakaways', which doesn't make sense.
2 users Like NLAL11's post

(11-28-2023, 05:20 PM)NLAL11 Wrote:

Not having a go at your personally as I have seen many rangers and reserves calling them the 'Kambula breakaways', which doesn't make sense.

I agree, think ppl call them breakaways as the female being with them doesn’t really make sense and u can’t associate her with being part of a coalition. Usually refer to them as Kambula YMs but Kambula breakaways seem the norm hence me using it.
2 users Like KM600's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-28-2023, 05:47 PM by Duco Ndona )

Most of the terms we use today, such as an social, territorial, alpha, carnivore, breakaway, coalition and nomadic are from times we still knew very little of animal behaviour except for the very broad strokes. So don't really fit as well anymore as it did back then now we are observing those animals enough to see the finer nuances. 

It wouldn't hurt to update the terminology.

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

the reserves themselves have referred to them as "Breakaways" i know fans tend to spread a lot of names and designations but in this case, its not only fans using this.
3 users Like criollo2mil's post

Ttimemarti Offline

I mean they are the kambula males the kambula coalition but until she leaves them they are a breakaway pride sorta kinda technically it’s weird I’ve never seen this before
1 user Likes Ttimemarti's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-28-2023, 07:20 PM by Duco Ndona )

It probably kinda depends on who is following who.
If the lionesses are just following their brothers that just went nomadic, Its a coalition. But if the lionesses are the ones in charge and the males are just tagging along becouse they are not ready to go off on their own, its a breakaway.
Regardless of the groups composition.
2 users Like Duco Ndona's post

NLAL11 Offline

@criollo2mil Yes, I did add this in a second comment. Mainly why it is so strange.

@Duco Ndona A fair distinction, I think we all know which category these young Kambulas fall under.

United States criollo2mil Offline
Contributor

(10-27-2022, 06:24 AM)DARK MANE Wrote:
(10-27-2022, 04:39 AM)Cunaguaro Wrote: A crazy sighting at @nkorhobushlodge of the young Talamati male leads the operation to overthrow a huge buffalo with the rest of his pride by @mattywarephotography2020
We're they successful?

I myself don’t use the term for them because of personal choice. I tend to see them as just a nomadic group ATM and not a pride. I usually just address them as the Northern Kambulas. In time, im sure the boys will get an official designation. Same for their southern brothers. What becomes of the female remains to be seen. She’s in a precarious situation not unlike Gingerella once found herself in. She had a great landing. Let’s hope this female does the same
3 users Like criollo2mil's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

6 users Like afortich's post

NLAL11 Offline

(11-28-2023, 09:57 PM)criollo2mil Wrote:
(10-27-2022, 06:24 AM)DARK MANE Wrote:
(10-27-2022, 04:39 AM)Cunaguaro Wrote: A crazy sighting at @nkorhobushlodge of the young Talamati male leads the operation to overthrow a huge buffalo with the rest of his pride by @mattywarephotography2020
We're they successful?

I myself don’t use the term for them because of personal choice.   I tend to see them as just a nomadic group ATM and not a pride.  I usually just address them as the Northern Kambulas.   In time, im sure the boys will get an official designation.    Same for their southern brothers.   What becomes of the female remains to be seen.    She’s in a precarious situation not unlike Gingerella once found herself in.    She had a great landing.   Let’s hope this female does the same

I agree with everything. My hope is their sister finds the Tsalala lioness, but no way of knowing what will happen.

( This post was last modified: 11-29-2023, 06:01 AM by KM600 )

Going back to the original comment of the Kambula YMs with their sister being in Ulusaba, I think Ridge Nose has to be extremely careful from now on. Nkuhuma breakaways have recently been spending time in Savanna and with the Kambulas seeking around, they’re gonna have to stay close to the PCMs for the time being, certainly can’t disappear and avoid contact from each other for however long like before. PCMs also have to be tactical about where they run the lions off to, whether it’s the Kambula YMs and sister, Talamati YMs, Nkuhuma Male etc, if they can’t catch the intruders they have to send them back East, them chasing them any other direction can do just as much harm to one of their other prides. Myself and some others have been saying for quite a while, the PCMs control too much territory to the point they can’t safeguard every pride and it looks like the Kambula YMs are going to be the first ones to test the boundaries. Don’t get me wrong, I know they’re not storming into the PCMs territory directly challenging them, instead it seems like they followed the buffalo but they obviously know who’s territory it is and are confident enough to trespass, won’t always be a case of them happening to be in the West.
2 users Like KM600's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor
( This post was last modified: 11-29-2023, 11:36 PM by Mapokser )

I love the Kambula pride and coalition, but unfortunately unless the PCM manage to send a strong massage now while they still possibly can, they'll be relying fully on luck regarding their status as dominant males of the west, same goes for their prides, if the PCM doesn't defend them strongly from the Kambulas now, they'll be relying on luck, meaning Kambulas deciding to take over some other place.
1 user Likes Mapokser's post