There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Ngonya Offline

"The young Ximungwe cubs have started joining at meal time and this has made for the most incredible sightings of these little ones growing and learning."

*This image is copyright of its original author

5 users Like Ngonya's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline
( This post was last modified: 11-18-2023, 11:36 PM by KM600 )

10 users Like KM600's post

Friarfan619 Offline

Ooo PC territory correct?? Hope they rejoin, last I've seen they were split.
2 users Like Friarfan619's post

(11-18-2023, 11:58 PM)Friarfan619 Wrote: Ooo PC territory correct?? Hope they rejoin, last I've seen they were split.

They were but I seen a post yesterday of them both together, first time they’ve joined up in a few days.
4 users Like KM600's post

( This post was last modified: 11-19-2023, 10:23 AM by KM600 )

Tuning into the WildEarth stream and apparently 2/4 Nkuhuma males have been spotted with the ‘young Torchwood male’ in Arathusa. Chela’s boy and Ridge Nose son are the ones that were seen with him.
3 users Like KM600's post

NLAL11 Online

Video by the MORE Family Collection, the full version of the one Scar used in his latest upload. Nkuhlus in Lion Sands, uploaded a couple of weeks ago.

Don't remember seeing this at the time but let me know if this is a repost.
4 users Like NLAL11's post

Panama Mapokser Offline
Contributor

NK Breakaways:

The subs are huge, especially the boy, though I still can't see any hair in his belly.
7 users Like Mapokser's post

Australia Horizon Offline
Moderators

" target="_blank" class="post_link">

The next generation of the Ximungwe Pride.
4 users Like Horizon's post

Seen a comment on YouTube yesterday saying the Kambula breakaways are easily the most impressive upcoming coalition in Sabi Sands at the moment and I’m not so sure that’s true. From a pure looks standpoint Yh they look better than the Talamati and Nkuhuma YMs but that’s mainly due to them being older. The Nkuhuma YMs despite being younger seem to be more territorial already albeit having Mohawk as a father figure prolly makes a huge difference. The Kambula males have been seeing roaring around Londolozi an area that isn’t under full control by any coalition/male, Skorro YM controls part of it but that’s one male, the Nkuhuma YMs look to be challenging the BDMs at such a young age, imo that’s way more impressive. Also worth noting the Kambula males seem to be fine with the size of the coalition with no real effort to increase the number despite being around males who could seriously help them, that being Nkuhuma Male and Talamati YMs. The Nkuhuma YMs seem to be more accepting of possibly increasing the size of the coalition, it’s not set in stone there will only be four members in the coalition, 5 if u include Mohawk.
2 users Like KM600's post

South Africa Rabubi Offline

(11-20-2023, 03:52 PM)KM600 Wrote: Seen a comment on YouTube yesterday saying the Kambula breakaways are easily the most impressive upcoming coalition in Sabi Sands at the moment and I’m not so sure that’s true. From a pure looks standpoint Yh they look better than the Talamati and Nkuhuma YMs but that’s mainly due to them being older. The Nkuhuma YMs despite being younger seem to be more territorial already albeit having Mohawk as a father figure prolly makes a huge difference. The Kambula males have been seeing roaring around Londolozi an area that isn’t under full control by any coalition/male, Skorro YM controls part of it but that’s one male, the Nkuhuma YMs look to be challenging the BDMs at such a young age, imo that’s way more impressive. Also worth noting the Kambula males seem to be fine with the size of the coalition with no real effort to increase the number despite being around males who could seriously help them, that being Nkuhuma Male and Talamati YMs. The Nkuhuma YMs seem to be more accepting of possibly increasing the size of the coalition, it’s not set in stone there will only be four members in the coalition, 5 if u include Mohawk.

The Kambula males have enough numbers on their side, there is no need for them to increase their numbers further. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.
6 users Like Rabubi's post

Ngonya Offline

(11-20-2023, 03:52 PM)KM600 Wrote: no real effort to increase the number despite being around males who could seriously help them, that being Nkuhuma Male and Talamati YMs
They have their brotherhood and I doubt they will try including other males in the coalition. Doesnt even make sense, why would they make that effort...? Not all coalitions will casually join each other just because they can get more numbers... Specially when u already have four males. 

Would it be another companion and increase the strength of the coalition? Yes
But it would be another mouth to feed and another lion to compete for females when they become dominant.
Besides, 4 lions is enough for them to challenge any coalition in the reserve (except the 6 Nkhulu + Dreadlock)

The case of the Nkuhuma young males is very different... It is their father/uncle who is with them. They had always lived together and it was an opportunity for Mohawk to 'hang out' with his sons before all of them have went nomadic.
4 users Like Ngonya's post

(11-20-2023, 06:28 PM)Ngonya Wrote:
(11-20-2023, 03:52 PM)KM600 Wrote: no real effort to increase the number despite being around males who could seriously help them, that being Nkuhuma Male and Talamati YMs
They have their brotherhood and I doubt they will try including other males in the coalition. Doesnt even make sense, why would they make that effort...? Not all coalitions will casually join each other just because they can get more numbers... Specially when u already have four males. 

Would it be another companion and increase the strength of the coalition? Yes
But it would be another mouth to feed and another lion to compete for females when they become dominant.
Besides, 4 lions is enough for them to challenge any coalition in the reserve (except the 6 Nkhulu + Dreadlock)

The case of the Nkuhuma young males is very different... It is their father/uncle who is with them. They had always lived together and it was an opportunity for Mohawk to 'hang out' with his sons before all of them have went nomadic.

I’m not saying they need to join forces with other males, just that them doing so could benefit them in such instances as taking over territory quicker than they will prolly end up doing, especially if they wanna oust the PCMs who they look set upon. I’m simply comparing the two coalitions and arguing the Nkuhuma YMs are looking to be just as territorial as the Kambulas despite being younger and despite their already big coalition size, they don’t seem to be completely against the idea of forming relationships with other males, such as the encounter with Khanya or even briefly being seen with a Torchwood young male just a day or so ago.

From Savanna IG 

5 users Like KM600's post

NLAL11 Online

(11-20-2023, 03:52 PM)KM600 Wrote: Seen a comment on YouTube yesterday saying the Kambula breakaways are easily the most impressive upcoming coalition in Sabi Sands at the moment and I’m not so sure that’s true. From a pure looks standpoint Yh they look better than the Talamati and Nkuhuma YMs but that’s mainly due to them being older. The Nkuhuma YMs despite being younger seem to be more territorial already albeit having Mohawk as a father figure prolly makes a huge difference. The Kambula males have been seeing roaring around Londolozi an area that isn’t under full control by any coalition/male, Skorro YM controls part of it but that’s one male, the Nkuhuma YMs look to be challenging the BDMs at such a young age, imo that’s way more impressive. Also worth noting the Kambula males seem to be fine with the size of the coalition with no real effort to increase the number despite being around males who could seriously help them, that being Nkuhuma Male and Talamati YMs. The Nkuhuma YMs seem to be more accepting of possibly increasing the size of the coalition, it’s not set in stone there will only be four members in the coalition, 5 if u include Mohawk.

Four or five is pretty optimal. Any larger than that and the coalition tends to split anyway, as the Nkuhlus will almost certainly do. If the reports of two of them being seen with an unrelated male in Kruger are true, then it might have already happened. And as the Nkuhumas are all back together again, with no sign of the young Torchwood male, it more than likely was just a brief encounter.

And just because they're roaring, and think they're ready, doesn't mean they are. The six Vurhami males thought they were ready, and look what happened. They'll have extra confidence because of Mohawk, but they've never gone up against other, adult males before. I mean they haven't even left home yet. Males need to go through the tough, nomadic stage, which tends to harden them and make them ready.
4 users Like NLAL11's post

( This post was last modified: 11-20-2023, 08:13 PM by KM600 )

(11-20-2023, 07:48 PM)NLAL11 Wrote:

And just because they're roaring, and think they're ready, doesn't mean they are. The six Vurhami males thought they were ready, and look what happened. They'll have extra confidence because of Mohawk, but they've never gone up against other, adult males before. I mean they haven't even left home yet. Males need to go through the tough, nomadic stage, which tends to harden them and make them ready.

I agree but my whole point is they’re pretty much in a similar situation with the only opposing factors being age and size, although nobody can guarantee Mohawk stays with the Nkuhuma YMs. Neither coalitions have went up against males and the Nkuhumas are only allowed to hang around imo because Mohawk is keen on them, whether that’s because it’s extra protection or whatever reason. With both coalitions pretty much in the same situation in terms of not yet openly challenging for resident prides, I’d always argue the younger coalition is considered more impressive.
2 users Like KM600's post