There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

Ximhungwe and cubs feasting on a zebra

7 users Like afortich's post

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator
( This post was last modified: 11-16-2023, 04:00 AM by BA0701 )

(11-15-2023, 10:14 PM)Tr1x24 Wrote: @Wyld@Heart @BA0701 

Here is Sand River pride enjoying golf at Skukuza in late 2019:

*This image is copyright of its original author

That just blows my mind. I have seen just about any kind of wildlife you can think of in the southeastern United States, grew up hanging out in the woods, on the water, or in the marshes for most of my life, but I have never seen a wild big cat, not even a FL Panther. I do hope to be able to one day, to be in the presence of such a creature must be such an awe inspiring experience.
4 users Like BA0701's post

Ngonya Offline

Ximhungwe pride by Ryan L on IG
"[...] They walked right under our truck and let us follow them back to their den where their 3 cubs were waiting! We then got to sit and watch the mamas rest and groom themselves while their scamp cubs played and tumbled around, chewed on their mothers’ tails and generally delighted us with their pesky, clumsy, squeaky ways [...]"

11 users Like Ngonya's post

United Kingdom KM600 Offline
( This post was last modified: 11-16-2023, 05:54 PM by KM600 )

Nkuhuma Male back in Savanna
Edit: Now in Ulusaba.

Floppy Ear back in Sabi Sands

13 users Like KM600's post

United Kingdom NLAL11 Offline

(11-16-2023, 09:02 AM)KM600 Wrote: Nkuhuma Male back in Savanna

When I saw the first part I was like "Oh FFS". But then the second part was much better. Good move, posting the bad news first, then the good news.
3 users Like NLAL11's post

( This post was last modified: 11-16-2023, 06:11 PM by KM600 )

(11-16-2023, 05:46 PM)NLAL11 Wrote:
(11-16-2023, 09:02 AM)KM600 Wrote: Nkuhuma Male back in Savanna

When I saw the first part I was like "Oh FFS". But then the second part was much better. Good move, posting the bad news first, then the good news.

Had the exact same reaction, split from the Talamati boys to meet up with the Talamati Pride and since then I’m guessing Gijimas chased him off and now he’s by himself. Most of us prolly seen that coming. Also seen a video recently of Tumbela with his back left leg in pretty bad shape so it’s not like Nkuhuma Male could pursue that relationship long-term in the West. I’ll attach the video below if I find it.

6 users Like KM600's post

Panama Mapokser Online
Contributor

Bad news for the Ximhungwe pride.
2 users Like Mapokser's post

(11-16-2023, 10:55 PM)Mapokser Wrote: Bad news for the Ximhungwe pride.

Pretty sure the PCMs are split or atleast they were last time I heard which was a few days ago, one with the Mhangeni Pride and one with the Ximhungwes.
2 users Like KM600's post

Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

He has only been back for a few days now. Its still very likely he will leave without any interactions with the locals.
2 users Like Duco Ndona's post

United States afortich Offline
Contributor

Nice summary by Scar

8 users Like afortich's post

BigLion39 Offline

(11-15-2023, 11:41 PM)BA0701 Wrote: That just blows my mind. I have seen just about any kind of wildlife you can think of in the southeastern United States, grew up hanging out in the woods, on the water, or in the marshes for most of my life, but I have never seen a wild big cat, not even a FL Panther. I do hope to be able to one day, to be in the presence of such a creature must be such an awe inspiring experience.

Same here except in the North Eastern US. I have never seen a big cat or a bear live in the wild although I have both, actually very rexcently, on my trail cam. Bobcat and Bear. Not sure if Bobcat is actually a "big" cat but theyrr around 20-30 lbs.
3 users Like BigLion39's post

Super Moderator

(11-17-2023, 12:42 PM)BigLion39 Wrote:
(11-15-2023, 11:41 PM)BA0701 Wrote: That just blows my mind. I have seen just about any kind of wildlife you can think of in the southeastern United States, grew up hanging out in the woods, on the water, or in the marshes for most of my life, but I have never seen a wild big cat, not even a FL Panther. I do hope to be able to one day, to be in the presence of such a creature must be such an awe inspiring experience.

Same here except in the North Eastern US. I have never seen a big cat or a bear live in the wild although I have both, actually very rexcently, on my trail cam. Bobcat and Bear. Not sure if Bobcat is actually a "big" cat but theyrr around 20-30 lbs.

Yeah, I wasn't including Bobcats in my comment, I have literally seen hundreds of those, and black bear are very common where I live now. Some woods I used to spend a lot of time in, it was common to see bobcats a few times a week. I have even been walking in the woods, and come across a big mound of dirt and pine needles, and there will be an animals leg sticking out. First time I found one, I was confused as to what would do this to a fawn whitetail, and then I found out that is what Bobcats do with their kills. Came across those type mounds many times. Let me tell you, there is no eerier sound than to be walking in the woods in the pitch dark, and hear a Bobcat in heat calling out very nearby, a story for another time.
6 users Like BA0701's post

South Africa Wyld@Heart Offline
( This post was last modified: 11-17-2023, 09:08 PM by Wyld@Heart )

(11-17-2023, 07:53 PM)BA0701 Wrote: Let me tell you, there is no eerier sound than to be walking in the woods in the pitch dark, and hear a Bobcat in heat calling out very nearby, a story for another time.
Going off topic here but if ever you're in one of African parks listen out for the jackal. Never heard a bobcat but can relate to that feeling when it comes to hearing a jackal. If you're lucky you might hear a few hyenas whooping at the same time and if you're truly blessed some lions going off as well. Some of the bigger camps in the Kruger tend to diffuse the night sounds, especially Skukuza, but one of my favourite past times when at Satara is walking around the fence line where accessible at the dead of night, they've got some benches at the fence line at the campsite and a couple opposite the restaurant/main reception area facing that little Waterhole where the Webcam is. Have had some pretty surreal nights just sitting there in the still dark and listening.

Edit: Came face to face with the resident camp honey badgers a few times; at Satara and Tamboti. Will scare the bejeesus out of you pretty quickly with that ratel noise if you get too close.
6 users Like Wyld@Heart's post

Super Moderator

(11-17-2023, 09:02 PM)Wyld@Heart Wrote:
(11-17-2023, 07:53 PM)BA0701 Wrote: Let me tell you, there is no eerier sound than to be walking in the woods in the pitch dark, and hear a Bobcat in heat calling out very nearby, a story for another time.
Going off topic here but if ever you're in one of African parks listen out for the jackal. Never heard a bobcat but can relate to that feeling when it comes to hearing a jackal. If you're lucky you might hear a few hyenas whooping at the same time and if you're truly blessed some lions going off as well. Some of the bigger camps in the Kruger tend to diffuse the night sounds, especially Skukuza, but one of my favourite past times when at Satara is walking around the fence line where accessible at the dead of night, they've got some benches at the fence line at the campsite and a couple opposite the restaurant/main reception area facing that little Waterhole where the Webcam is. Have had some pretty surreal nights just sitting there in the still dark and listening.

Edit: Came face to face with the resident camp honey badgers a few times; at Satara and Tamboti. Will scare the bejeesus out of you pretty quickly with that ratel noise if you get too close.

It is on my bucket list, my friend. To be able to see these creatures in person is actually at the top of that list.
6 users Like BA0701's post

Australia Horizon Offline
Moderators

" target="_blank" class="post_link">

We found the Southern Pride first thing on our morning safari and spent some time with them. They took advantage of the cool and cloudy morning as they tried to stalk a few prey species around but quickly gave up as the morning sun peaked out and it got hotter. They retreated to the shade, where they would probably spend the rest of their morning. The cubs saw this as an opportunity to practice their hunting and stalking skills on their mom and two older sisters, but got tired quickly, falling asleep next to one another.
6 users Like Horizon's post