There is a world somewhere between reality and fiction. Although ignored by many, it is very real and so are those living in it. This forum is about the natural world. Here, wild animals will be heard and respected. The forum offers a glimpse into an unknown world as well as a room with a view on the present and the future. Anyone able to speak on behalf of those living in the emerald forest and the deep blue sea is invited to join.
--- Peter Broekhuijsen ---

• 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Lions of Sabi Sands

Ttimemarti Offline

I did not know that some parts of sabi sands they allow hunting

United States BA0701 Offline
Super Moderator

(11-04-2023, 08:09 PM)Ttimemarti Wrote: I did not know that some parts of sabi sands they allow hunting

Private reserves are the only ones allowing hunting, that I am aware of, but even then I have not heard of openly hunting in Sabi Sands. Where did you hear this, where is it supposed to be taking place?

Ttimemarti Offline

(11-04-2023, 08:25 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(11-04-2023, 08:09 PM)Ttimemarti Wrote: I did not know that some parts of sabi sands they allow hunting

Private reserves are the only ones allowing hunting, that I am aware of, but even then I have not heard of openly hunting in Sabi Sands. Where did you hear this, where is it supposed to be taking place?

Saw it in a video I’ll post it and it said one of the places is mala mala
1 user Likes Ttimemarti's post

Super Moderator

(11-04-2023, 08:36 PM)Ttimemarti Wrote:
(11-04-2023, 08:25 PM)BA0701 Wrote:

Saw it in a video I’ll post it and it said one of the places is mala mala

Please PM the video to me, prior to posting it. Thanks!

United States GhostCatP-22 Offline

(11-04-2023, 05:57 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: Priceless sighting

All three ximungwe cubs at play as the two mothers relax in a moment of respite

https://instagram.com/stories/rangerfred...Yjk0MDhjYg==

Link isn’t working. Are you able take a few screen shots? Thank you, I appreciate it!
1 user Likes GhostCatP-22's post

Super Moderator

(11-04-2023, 08:47 PM)GhostCatP-22 Wrote:
(11-04-2023, 05:57 PM)criollo2mil Wrote: Priceless sighting

All three ximungwe cubs at play as the two mothers relax in a moment of respite

https://instagram.com/stories/rangerfred...Yjk0MDhjYg==

Link isn’t working. Are you able take a few screen shots? Thank you, I appreciate it!

It works for me, do you have an Instagram account?

South Africa Wyld@Heart Offline

(11-04-2023, 08:36 PM)Ttimemarti Wrote: Saw it in a video I’ll post it and it said one of the places is mala mala
That is well nigh on impossible.
2 users Like Wyld@Heart's post

Super Moderator

(11-04-2023, 10:18 PM)Wyld@Heart Wrote:
(11-04-2023, 08:36 PM)Ttimemarti Wrote: Saw it in a video I’ll post it and it said one of the places is mala mala

Which is why I asked that the video be PM'd, as we will not allow WildFact to be used as a vessel for false and salacious accusations against the reserves. If there are factual claims, then of course we would allow it, but I have seen nothing to cause me to believe anything other than what you just said, to this point.
5 users Like BA0701's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Sabi Sands lions are pretty well monitored on the internet. Sure an argument can be made that missing lions like Tinyo, and the southern Avoca male were hunted. But even if all the lions that went missing in the reserve were hunted. That's still far to little to be economically feasible compared with the PR risks. We would also be expected to believe that Trophy hunters. Who largely commit this nonsense for the bragging rights, keep silent about it.  

I think this rumour is probably nothing more than a misunderstood remark. Like about hunting going on elsewhere or discussed hunting as in poaching, tracking or chasing an animal away from the car etc .
1 user Likes Duco Ndona's post

Super Moderator

Video showing the S BDMs with the Nkuhuma Pride. Also mentioned the lioness, Lagertha, says she has not been seen in 5-6 months.

3 users Like BA0701's post

Super Moderator

(11-04-2023, 11:43 PM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Sabi Sands lions are pretty well monitored on the internet. Sure an argument can be made that missing lions like Tinyo, and the southern Avoca male were hunted. But even if all the lions that went missing in the reserve were hunted. That's still far to little to be economically feasible compared with the PR risks. We would also be expected to believe that Trophy hunters. Who largely commit this nonsense for the bragging rights, keep silent about it.  

I think this rumour is probably nothing more than a misunderstood remark. Like about hunting going on elsewhere or discussed hunting as in poaching, tracking or chasing an animal away from the car etc .

That is the first time I have heard poaching mentioned, in regards to Tinyo or S Avoca, in both of those instances there are other relevant facts that would point to something elsee being the cause. However, even if they were poached, poaching itself would mean that the reserves were not involved.

I agree with you completely, I think the harm caused by permitting hunting to take place on these reserves would far out weigh the benefits. If word got out, which as you pointed out it would be next to impossible from keeping something like that quiet, Cecil is a perfect example of this, and those two guys tried their best TO keep it quiet and it still got out. The kind of harm that could come to a reserve if they permit the hunting of the very animals that they are also relying on to bring in paying guests, or even different animals given that viewing these animals is their primary source of income, could destroy a reserve.
5 users Like BA0701's post

Netherlands Duco Ndona Offline
Contributor

Just to be clear. I am not suggesting those lions were poached. Just that if there was somekind of secret hunting thing going on. It would have to be the lions that went missing that fell victim to it.
2 users Like Duco Ndona's post

Ttimemarti Offline

(11-04-2023, 10:30 PM)BA0701 Wrote:
(11-04-2023, 10:18 PM)Wyld@Heart Wrote:

Which is why I asked that the video be PM'd, as we will not allow WildFact to  be used as a vessel for false and salacious accusations against the reserves. If there are factual claims, then of course we would allow it, but I have seen nothing to cause me to believe anything other than what you just said, to this point.

Not the lions being hunted the zebras and what not but I sent you the video and I’m pretty sure it’s all fake most of the info is incorrect

United Kingdom Tonpa Offline
Contributor

There is still trophy hunting in other areas like Timbavati, Klaserie and Balule, but it's hunting of Impala, Wildebeest, Elephants, and Hyenas not big cats. Not heard anything about it in the Sabi Sands though
4 users Like Tonpa's post

Super Moderator

(11-05-2023, 01:01 AM)Duco Ndona Wrote: Just to be clear. I am not suggesting those lions were poached. Just that if there was somekind of secret hunting thing going on. It would have to be the lions that went missing that fell victim to it.

No, I for one didn't take it that you were implying that you believed that. In fact, I understood your post to be saying the opposite.
3 users Like BA0701's post